Chapter 17

Prime Suspect

"Mr.Vernon you h-have to wake up... A-and when you wake up we can leave. And when we leave... we can see mommy and daddy." Mina sobbed. Her head rested against his chest and her hands gripped tightly to his shirt.

It was too dark to see. And too dark to move with any ease. The only time they ever the light was to stab a syringe into Vernon's arm or throw Mina a snack.

Mina was scared and she was alone.

~*~

It had been a week and Mina's face was on every TV station and in every newspaper. All Yesenia could do was cry holding onto a small stuffed bear Mina loved. Jungkook didn't know how to help her. He could barely help himself.

He tried going into work. Distracting himself with the case. The Chief and Jiyong just wouldn't let that happen. And when Jungkook wasn't rocking his wife in his arms he was looking through case files. He deprived himself of sleep as if he could get it any way.

Today was like many before it where Jungkook held Yesenia as they watched the news. Her cell phone was clutched tightly in her hand awaiting any news of her baby.

The anchors transitioned from global politics to the only thing the Jeon's were interested in.

"There has been an update on the the missing person's case of six year old Jeon Mina." Jungkook and Yesenia instantly tensed. Fear and anxiety twisted in their stomachs. What could this news be? "It is believed she may be a victim of the Yin-Yang killer. Though there is not yet a body police haven't ruled it out."

"This would make her the youngest victim correct?"

"That's right. It has also been noted that Jeon Mina disappeared on the same day as twenty year old Hansol Vernon Chwe. Police have confirmed not only that this man was the son of victim Grace Vernon Chwe, but he is also a suspect in the murders. He had yet to be investigated at the time of Jeon Mina's kidnapping. However certain evidence from the young man's home strongly links him to being the killer along with his history of drug addiction. The police have not yet given us direct confirmation nor have they released the connecting evidence. A press conference will be held tomorrow evening at eight thirty. However if you see this man do not hesitate to contact the authorities." A hazy mugshot of Vernon flashed in the screen.

"Our prayers are certainly with the Jeon family," the other anchor said solemnly, "we'll take a quick commercial break and will come back with sciences latest discoveries in lung diseases."

Yesenia looked up to Jungkook. Tears had started streaming down her face within the first few seconds of the broadcast. "H-he wouldn't," she shook her head roughly, "Vernon wouldn't.... Not... Not to our baby."

"No... He couldn't... I know it." Jungkook didn't know what to think. How could they really suspect vernon of all people to be this monster?

The blaring ring of a cellphone filled their ears and Jungkook quickly accepted the call.

"Mark what the hell is going on?" He stood pacing the room a bit. "You honestly think Vernon's the one k.illing off people like himself? You think he's the monster who took my daughter!? What kind of ing evidence do you think you have!? And how the does the damn media know before WE DO!?" Jungkook barely noticed he was starting to scream. Yesenia stood wrapping her arms around his torso. Her tears seeped into his shirt and he took a breath before speaking again at a normal level, "she's our daughter and we have a right to know what the hell is going on."

"I'm sorry Jungkook. We should have been on top of things I know. You and your wife come down to the station and we'll explain what we have and what the media was talking about alright?"

"O-okay," Jungkook clenched his teeth and hung up the phone. "We have to go find out what's going on. Everything's gonna be okay." He took a deep breath turning around and hugging Yesenia tightly.

The two threw on their shoes and were out the door in no time. When they walked inside the precinct everyone bowed with matching soft and remorseful expressions. Even Sungri who had only ever been cold to Jungkook.

"Where's the team?"

"The meeting room," Sungri informed but stopped the two with a hand before they could walk off, "from the bottom of my heart I am so sorry this happened. Everyone's working to find that little girl of yours. I know we can do it."

"Thank you," Yesenia forced a smile and Jungkook nodded to him in thanks.

The couple stepped into the meeting room and almost instantly people were standing and shoving papers into their folders. All images that would probably break Yesenia down then and there. With a firm hand on his wife's waist he bowed to everyone. Though they were all professional people they'd ended up coming over to give hugs. Jiyong however maintained his distance and bowed respectfully.

"Now tell me what it is you think you all have on Hansol Vernon Chwe."

"As you know Jungkook a few day's before their disappearance we were granted a warrant to search his house. It took us a few days after the chaos to finally take time to search his home but... we finally did three days ago." Chief Lee said standing at the head of the room.

"You could have said something to me. But what is it? What could you have possibly have found? What could be so incriminating for you?" Jungkook demanded.

"First was a duffle bag in the living room. It had seventy thousand dollars inside. Second we found the case for the knife... but no knife throughout the whole apartment. We found a few shirts with blood stains on them, we have yet to verify who's blood it is." The Chief started.

"We've found multiple bus tickets to Incheon. This pink teddy bear blanket... Would this belong to your daughter?" Jiyong asked.

"Y-Yes" The word was squeaked rather than spoken.  

"And this last part should convince you if nothing else... In his computer and in a photo book were several articles of the murders. Every single murder actually. Even those reports of the bodies in Incheon before they were confirmed as part of the case. And... I'm sorry to have to tell you but... There was a file saved recently..."

"What was it," Jungkook's voice was slowly starting to crack.

"Articles and video clips about Mina's kidnapping..."




Short update but you deserve something so here it is. I'm sorry  I feel so bad about how long it's been.
Also Mina and Vernon are pain right now T^T it's my own fault! Save me from my own evil!

Rina💜