Chapter 20

Prime Suspect

 


"No no," Vernon made a week attempt to fight off the man hovering over him. "Please."

He was ignored and the man pressed down his arm making him still. He injected the needle into the crook of Vernon's arm and filled him with the drug leaving Vernon shaking. 

The lights were shut off and he could feel himself become weaker. He could feel every extremity becoming heavier. He knew now he couldn't possibly move if he tried. 

~*~

"Mina.... Mina-shi," a man's voice cooed as the florescent lights were switched on. A well-dressed figure made his way over to the cell. He smiled as the little girl's eyes flickered open. 

She griped onto Vernon tighter as the man kneeled down in front of her. His eyes were sharp and cold as he looked at her. The smirk playing on his lips sat constant even as the terrified tears leaked from the young girl's eyes. 

"Mina-shi you look so scared. Don't be," He said cocking his head to the side. This only made the girl bury her face further into the already damp fabric of Vernon's shirt. "Come with me Mina-shi, I've got a surprise for you."

"N-No!" Her shaking voice was muffled by the body beside her. 

"Oh honey you're not even curious of what it could be?"

"No!"

"Fine," He said standing and turning his back to her, "I'll just let your mommy and daddy know that you didn't want to come back home." He paused waiting for a reaction.

"Y-You'll take me to mommy and daddy?" He smiled hearing her faint words.

"Yes," His crooked smile spread and he turned to Mina, "Let's go see them."

Mina's broken screams echoed down the empty hallways as the man threw the girl into another dark room. TOP stopped in front of him as he was in mid laugh. 

"You're a sick man..." TOP said staring at the small glass window to the room. 

"I thought you already knew that," He said with a smirk. The man walked away with an awful smile spread across his face.

TOP stood by the door. Mina's sobs were loud and heartbreaking to hear even for a man as cruel and though as himself. He looked down to his shoes and shook his head.

"Everything's gonna be okay kid... I promise."

"TOP!"

The man reluctantly left the door. The terrified shouts faded to nothing the closer he got to the room that was a headquarters of sorts. The sick man was sitting down on a chair with legs crossed at the head of the room. 

"I need your, crew," He said with a soulless laugh, "to set up a camera in the girl's room and a monitor in Vernon's room."

"I'll get them on it, but why?"

"New developments have been made and I need to speed up my plans... And that's all you need to know for now."

~*~

Jungkook had exhausted himself looking through the information his partners had given him. He'd cross referenced the unsub's profile with Vernon's dozens of times. None of the criteria matched up exactly the way it should.

Sometimes he wasn't even sure if he was seeing things correctly or if he just wanted to believe that Vernon was innocent. Understandably he would get frustrated and storm out. But always he would come back to sift through the evidence.  

It didn't even make sense how Vernon would have the newspaper clippings regarding Mina's disappearance. His house was monitored because they were looking for him. Certainly someone would have seen him.  But an annoying part of himself pointed out that he could have waited for the police to leave. However, that still didn't make any sense as to why the clipping was from the morning the house was searched. He would have just had to stop by to put in the paper and run away. 

And the killer was cold, heartless, and highly evasive. He wouldn't let himself be caught so easily. Yet still there were so many things that made it easy to see Vernon as this monster. They'd talked to plenty of people about Vernon. His mother was a nasty woman and it would seem that people were even waiting for the day he snapped on her.  

It was late in the night and Jungkook was at his desk as he'd been for weeks. His head bobbed up and down. His neck wasn't able to support the weight of his head in his tired state. Yesenia walked in and rubbed her hands across his shoulders.

He groggily looked up to her puffy eyes. He wrapped an arm around her waist and leaned his head against her chest. 

"We should try to sleep. Just this once." She kissed his messy hair and held him loosely. 

"I have to look through a few more thin-"

"Please.... The entire task force is doing the same thing.... Kookie I don't want to be by myself." She choked out the words.

Jungkook sighed and stood. He wrapped his arms around her and kissed her forehead gently. "Just this once," He let out a laugh that held no humor. 

Though they went to bed they didn't sleep. How could they. Yesenia's mind was filled with fantasies of being reunited with her daughter. And Jungkook's thoughts were woven into the evidence sitting on his work desk. 

"What's the possibility-"

"We will find her." Jungkook cut her off and wrapped his arms around her. He knew she was crying. He didn't need to see her face to know that.

_______________________

I'm planning on 30 chapters in total..... We'll see how this goes!

So..... Any thoughts and theories as to what's going on?? I'll try to update more often now that summer's here. We shall see.

Rina💜