Chapter 6

Prime Suspect

After hours of intense yard work for the grade school Vernon was finally able to put everything away and call it a day. Well at least a day at this job. He dusted his pants as he marveled at the fresh red mulch and the trimmed weeds and rose bush's. It looked neat and organized once again.

There were many ways to leave the school grounds from where he was. However, he made it a habit to exit through the playground. There was legitimate reason for this.

On his first day, school had been in session for a few weeks, he spotted a girl about five or six running across the play ground. He payed it no mind. The second day he saw her sit behind a tree near the dumpster. And the third day is what solidified his walking path. Before the little girl could reach the dumpster, where she'd sat by herself every day, she was attacked by a hoard of children of varying ages. They pushed her and started calling her names. All of this brought back painful memories from when he was in school.

So every day he worked at the school he made it a point to sit with her until recess finished. He didn't mind it though. She was a sweet girl with an adorable smile and charming personality. If only others could see that too.

Today though he was just a little late. A hand or two slammed against the girl's back and she collided with the wood chips on the ground. The kids laughed as she looked up at them in fear.

"Do you think she knows?" Was a sentence that shined through the giggles and harsh words.

"Nah, probably not."

"Tell her tell her!"

"No way! It should be a surprise."

"Oh come on! Be nice! She at least deserves a warning."

"Fine go ahead."

"Hey kid! Do you know what's happening?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Told ya she wouldn't know!"

The boy speaking to her ignored the outburst and continued. "Have you heard about the murders?"

"M-murders?"

"Yeah, my mom is the District Attorney and she know's everything about everything. And you wanna know what she told me?"

In truth she didn't want to know. She just wanted to be left alone but for the sake of the somewhat calm she nodded yes.

"They're picking off halfers like you!"

"Yeah and cutting them up into itty bitty peaces while they're still alive!"

"Better watch your back Halfer!"

"Mina's next! Mina's next!"

They pulled her to her feet then tossed her around in a circle that had formed. They chanted, scratched, and snagged pieces of her clothing.

"Hey!" Vernon boomed.

The kids scattered but not without one last shove. Vernon made his way over to the crying girl and helped her to her feet.

He dusted the wood and filth from her uniform, "are you okay Mina?"

"Yes Mr. Vernon," she sniffled. He knew she was lying but he let her be knowing she was slightly prideful.

Vernon stood and took Mina's hand before walking over to the picnic table they often sat at. He helped her up onto the table top then sat beside her on the bench. This made sure they were at a somewhat even hight. He took her hands and inspected them for cuts. Thankfully she only sustained a few bloodless scrapes and one or two hardly noticeable bruises.

"Mr. Vernon are you a daddy?"

Vernon smiled in a way that Mina found to be dazzling and very handsome to say the least, "no I'm not but maybe one day."

"You will be a good daddy one day Mr.Vernon. My dongsaengs are going to be very lucky." She smiled to herself and rummaged through her back pack.

"What are you looking for?" He asked peeking over his shoulder. She shooed him away before pulling the items out.

"I have two gifts for you. First my mommy made spicy taco's last night. I think you'll like them." She handed him a small plastic container which he accepted with a bow, "and I also have this," she pulled out a small pastel pink bear whose torso faded into a thin fuzzy blanket. "For when you have a daughter. Or a son. He'll just have to learn to like pink." She giggled.

"I can't take this Mina." He held his hand up in rejection, "it's yours. Besides your mommy and daddy will know it's missing."

"You're right. It is mine. So that means I have the right to give it to you! Besides I'll tell my mommy I lost it on the bus."

"Are you sure?"

"Mr.Vernon... My dongsaengs need to know I care." She stated seriously while resting her hand on his shoulder.

He accepted the gift and rubbed the soft material between his thumb and fore finger. I don't want kids Mina. I don't want to screw them up like I've done to myself. I shouldn't even be around you. It's not a good idea. I don't want to hurt you. He thought.

He ate the small meal she'd brought him and they talked about the most random of things. The color of the sky, the scent of flowers on his clothing, TV shows, and even the playground monitor who'd been around when Vernon was a kid. Despite the fact he was seventy his hair was still jet black, he had a scruffy grey beard, and a stiff beer belly while everything else about him was thin.

The loud high pitch of a whistle painfully funneled through their ears. Recess had come to an end. Mina hugged Vernon goodbye then ran as fast as she could to the school building.

The two had talked about everything but what had been said to Mina. She knew those kids would do and say anything to hurt her. Vernon on the other hand didn't want to scare the girl by talking about it. And he couldn't comfort her properly not knowing if all of the nasty words those bratty kids spouted was true.

Vernon pushed those thoughts to the farthest corner of his mind as Mina waived to him one last time. Now he had another job to get to where he couldn't afford to get lost in such thoughts.

He made quick strides to the bus stop. If he got there fast enough he could barely catch the bus headed to the old noodle shop to discuss his decision.

_________________________

Paths are crossing, how do you feel about it? Oh and poor Mina :( I feel really bad.

Rina๐Ÿ’œ