Chapter 8

Prime Suspect

As soon as Vernon woke up in the morning, which was around seven, he had the urge to call his mother. He wasn't sure why and he wasn't sure what his excuse would be but he called anyway. He dialed her number and the phone ran and rang until the voicemail sounded in  his ear.

"Hey mom... You're probably sleeping but I thought we could go get some breakfast together... Call me back when you get this."

He hung up the phone then headed straight to the shower. He cleaned his oily hair and cleaned off the sweat from his rocky night. His new job had him nervous more often than not. He hadn't expected to be scrubbing his body for an hour and a half but that is what he'd done.

Yet still there was no reply from his mother.

Vernon quickly changed and thought maybe he would go over and surprise  her. He knew she'd ultimately have something snarky to say about him wanting to see her and part of himself wouldn't blame her. He couldn't be trusted. He knew that. He knew it better than anyone. 

The bus ride to her house wasn't that far from his apartment. He knocked at the door and just waited for a response. He'd texted and called multiple times. No reply. He knocked on the door again.

"Mom are you there? Are you mad at me? Did I do something wrong?" Had she finally figured out how he'd gotten the money for her? Was she angry? Was she going to call the police?

He wrung his hands. His nerves were starting to make him sweaty and anxious. He tried her phone again and this time it went straight to voicemail.

"Are you sleeping or are you out? I'll come back to your place later. Maybe we can grab some lunch or dinner instead. Bye..."

He reluctantly walked away from the small tan colored house. He was worried.

She must know. That's why she isn't answering my text's or calls. She know's about the deal. She has to. That's the only explanation I can think of.

Vernon needed something to calm his nerves. Something to make him less paranoid. He decided to head to a local mall. It was a Saturday and the mall he was thinking of gave out free food samples every Saturday. It also had a massage chair store he could just get lost in and relax at. 

After he'd taken from a few vendors he made his way down to the chair shop. Cozy, plush, recliners were just screaming his name at this point. He found one he often liked to sit on. It was further back in the store where less employees wandered and it sat right in front of a flat screened TV.

He reclined and let the machine kneed into his sore back. It felt nice to have that pressure at the moment.

A young couple switched on the ten o'clock news. Vernon wanted to change the channel but he couldn't really do that seeing as the couple were hogging the remote. So he just zoned out and closed his eyes switching the massage settings. Heat.

"The main target seems to be people of mixed race."  Yeah aren't we everyone's target. He scoffed and mentally rolled his eyes.

"Could you be quiet we're trying to watch." The couple hissed. He opened his eyes and gave an insincere partial bow.

"Last night's victim is an American woman by the name of Grace Vernon Choi."

Vernon bolted out of his seat at the mention of the name. His mother's name. He looked in time to find her passport photo to be displayed on the screen. It was her. Her slightly frizzy brown hair. Her partial smile. Her rounded face. A knot grew in his throat and tears welled in his eyes.

No.

He thought that he must be dreaming. Having a nightmare.

"Currently we are attempting to locate her son Hansol. This is all the information we have at the moment...."

He couldn't breath anymore. It was like a bull rammed into his chest at full speed. His watery vision blurred the exit of the officers on screen and the switch to concerned news anchor's.

"Why did you have to be so noisy!? Huh? Have some respect for the dead will you?" An older woman said once the broadcast was over.

Vernon clenched his fists at her words. The dead. No. That couldn't refer to his mother. There was no way. Though he tried to be tough tears cascaded down his cheeks. Sorry excuses for breath filled his lungs in short bursts.

"You're the son aren't you."

"She was white. Was she killed because of him?"

"Yah! Don't be rude."

Was she killed because of him? Because of him? Because of him? Because of him?

He bolted from the store. He ran as fast and as far as his legs could carry him. His heart pounded rapidly and the beat was all that filled his ears. Passerby's moved in slow motion though he was quickly weaving through their bodies.

His focus was on running but every so often his chest would constrict, his breath would hitch, his heart would stop, and he'd feel like toppling to the ground and screaming to vent his emotions.

The tan house came into view and he immediately flung himself on the door. Loudly and without restraint his fist hammered against in the door.

"Mom!" He yelled. "Mom! They're talking about you on the news! You need to set thing's straining! Mama they're saying you're dead! Tell them it's not true!!!"

His eyes burned and his chest ached the longer no reply was made. Tears and snot were steadily making their way down his face.

"MAMA! please..."

Vernon clenched his jaw and fists. He stepped back lifted his leg and slammed his foot into the door. The handle broke the metal barrier flew open. He searched the house frantically both accidentally and purposefully knocking things over. The whole time he called for her.

The last room to check was hers. He was afraid to open the door.

"M-Mama this isn't funny.... You have.. You have to.. Have to t-t-tell them that they're wrong..." He stuttered softly. He circled his hand on the door knob and rested his head on the smooth wood of the door. "Please mama...."

He desperately hoped he'd see her sleeping. He hopped he'd see her under the covers and her hair fanned out against the pillow. He hoped it was like when he was a kid on Christmas. He would run in and poke her and call her name till she woke. She'd smile at him, kiss his cheek, then carry him to the living room where a handful of presents say on the floor.

He dropped to his knee's at the empty made bed.

"Mama..."

"Sir?"

"She's dead..? She.."

The officers who came due to a noise complaint escorted him to the precinct. He sat in a hard metal chair and he kept his eyes on the table. They said they'd bring an officer in to speak to him.

The door to the interrogation room opened. A man maybe a few years older than him walked in.

"I'm detective Jeon Jungkook. Hansol right?"

"You can call me Vernon," he said meekly. He'd gone numb after his outburst. After he'd confirmed.

Jungkook explained to him what the news had done earlier. The mixed races, the cause of death. Everything.

"If we need any more assistance or we have any more news for you I'll personally call you." Jungkook tried to be comforting to him.

"Can I ask a question?"

"Of course. Ask anything."

"Did she die because of me?" His voice cracked.

Jungkook stepped closer to the boy and rested his hands on his shoulders. He looked into his hazy eyes.

"Listen," his fatherly instincts were starting to surface. "You did not cause this. Some sick freak had a psychotic break. Don't you ever blame yourself. No one would or should blame you."

Vernon nodded though he barely listen to what was said to him. It didn't matter what anyone said. To him it was in fact his fault. Just for even being born.

What he did after he was let go was a blur. All he knew next was he stood in an oddly warm room underneath an old noodle shop.

"I know I wasn't scheduled for today... But do you think... I could get another dose?"

TOP snapped his fingers and in no time a silver case was on his desk.

The city lights were amplified and cars seemed to zoom by faster. He aimlessly stumbled across the city of Seoul. He was incapable of hearing angry hollering and he laughed as the scent of meat filled his nose. For right no he could forget and he'd let it last as long as possible.



Do I feel bad about doing this to Vernon? Hell yeah I do! How could I!?

Hope you had fun getting your heart broken because I did...(not so much the fun part though)

I never edit because I'm lazy lol. I apologize. Also I don't even know Vernon's mother's real name I just thought Grace sounded cute. *shrugs shoulders*

Also I'd really like to know what you thought of this chapter! please let me know if you don't mind!

Rina💜