Chapter 23

Prime Suspect

 

"I've had surveillance on him for a while now. Same pattern every day. Several hours in the precinct and then off to some mysterious location and then back home. We've yet to figure out where he goes. Somehow we always lose him before we can find it."

 

"We should start working a little quicker. I have a feeling he knows we're watching him." Seungri said tapping his pen against Mark's kitchen table. "He saw us talking yesterday and left not two hours after he arrived at the station. 

 

"Was it anything about the case?" Jungkook asked looking over at the older man.

 

"No it was more along the lines of not understanding how it could be Vernon."

 

"Ah well-" Jungkook was cut off by the ring of his own phone. "Hello? Yesenia?"

 

She hadn't spoken yet. All that could be heard were her many sobs. Her words were lost in her hysteria. 

 

"Take a deep breath and tell me what's wrong." 

 

"Th-They found a b-body," Her intense sobs continued. 

 

At those words Jungkook immediately flipped on the television. The anchors were going on back and forth telling the audience of the limited information they had been given. And then they said the one thing Jungkook never wanted to hear but what the whole country was wondering. "Is this the end for young Jeon Mina?"

 

Jungkook shivered. Tears brimmed in his eyes as he thought of the possibility. This newly discovered victim. Person. Girl. She could be Mina? His Mina? His baby girl?

 

"I-I," His words were caught in his throat as he tried to speak to Yesenia. "I'll call you back."

 

Just as he hung up Mark's phone rang loudly, though they were all almost too stunned to hear it. He picked up the phone. His voice when answering was a bit shaken. 

 

"Ye-yes sir?" His eyes were trained on Jungkook as he spoke. "Understood... Right away."

 

Mark shoved his phone in his pocket after hanging up. Though normally he was a calm and collected guy, given the circumstances he looked to his friends as if he was about to break down. 

 

"That was the chief."

 

He didn't have to say much more. They could easily guess what the call was about. They were going to investigate and identify the victim. 

 

"I'm going with you." Jungkook said brushing away the tears that had fallen from his eyes. 

 

"Maybe that's not such a good idea." Seungri rested a hand on Jungkook's shoulder. 

 

"No! I'm going. No matter what any of you say! I-I can't wait. I can't sit around and wait for someone to tell me... That could be my daughter for s sake! My baby!" Tears started falling harder than they had before. His throat felt like it was tightening. He could barely breathe.

 

Mark and Seungri knew there wouldn't be any way to stop Jungkook. So Mark let him come along. The ride back into Seoul was quiet and tense. They hadn't imagined it would be any other way. 

 

Instead of the team going in together they decided to text Mark the location. They found themselves in a barren lot. It was more on the outskirts of town. There were a few crumbling buildings and what seemed to be a deep ravine behind them. 

 

Mark dialed the chief's number and he answered almost immediately. He informed that the rest of the team was with him and that they were behind these deteriorating brick buildings. They were standing in the ravine. 

 

"Listen, Jungkook, you don't have to go. You can wait here. I'll call you. I'll let you know as soon as I know anything."

 

"No... I can't wait. I can't wait to find out if she's dead or not. You know that." Mark sighed he knew the kid would have nothing to do with his plan but figured it was worth a shot. 

 

The two walked out onto the lot. Each took deep breaths without realizing it. They ventured behind the old buildings and found an abundance of caution tape. Jungkook's heart rate skyrocketed. He was nervous, afraid, and met with a slight amount of confusion. 

 

Though it sounded awful he wasn't sure what he wanted more. Did he want the body to be Mina's or not? More than anything he wanted it not to be her. He wanted her to still be alive out there somewhere. He desperately wanted to be reunited with his baby again. But no matter how much he wanted this there was that small, quiet, voice in the back of his mind that wanted it to be Mina. He couldn't bare the thought of the unspeakable horrors that might happen to her if she were currently in the killer's clutches. He'd never had a victim for so long. What could he be keeping her for? He just didn't want his daughter to suffer any longer.

 

The other detectives came into sight. Jiyong was the first to notice them and was less than pleased. He stormed over clearly ready to give a piece of his mind. 

 

"What do you think you're doing bringing him here!?" Jiyong demanded.

 

"I-," Mark was shut up before he could even give a lousy excuse. 

 

"No one, especially not you, is gonna tell me not to be here! I don't give two s about what you think. I have every god damn right to be here and you can just back the off!" Jungkook hollered taking a fist full of Jiyong's shirt. It took everything in him not to slam his fist into that arrogant mug of his. 

 

"Jungkook," Mark took hold of his arms, "think before you do something stupid."

 

"I would listen to him if I were you." Jiyong said sharply. 

 

"Everybody settle down!" The chief demanded pushing the two apart. "We would need Jungkook to identify later on anyway better to get this done sooner than later I guess." He said rubbing the back of his neck. 

 

"I was only trying to spare him but if you insist." Jiyong said eyeing Jungkook. 

 

In silence the men made their way to the dumped body. The final pictures of the crime scene had been taken. The girl lay on her stomach. Her hair was severely matted and flies were swarming the lacerations on her ankles. 

 

"Are you sure you're ready?" The chief questioned already kneeling beside the girl.

 

"Do it."

 

Jungkook's heart thudded rapidly in his chest in anticipation. When she was turned over he instantly fell to his knees. He'd lost his ability to breath and tears began dripping down his chin.

 

 

_______________________________________

It's been so long since I've updated and said I would update. I'm so terrible and I 💯 understand if ppl stopped reading. But damn. Life's been busy and stressful I tell ya. A lot of went down but I'm back on my feet again. Just hope I don't end up hurting myself again. Anyway hoped you liked it!!!

Rina 💜