Chapter 10

Prime Suspect

More and more letters of the same nature and same Yin-Yang signature came into the news station. However this time around they were all immediately dealt with by the police, and not one has aired on television since the passing of Grace Vernon Chwe. The other difference was that over the course of three months the incoming letters seemed more like empty threats. Not one body had been found which caused for great stress and suspicion on the police side of things.

"We've had multiple autopsies and were able to find the exact style of knife used to cut the victims. Run it through your systems and see where you could purchase one of these." Jungkook said handing over a yellow envelope to the tech whose glasses were slipping to the end of his nose. 

"I can do it but wouldn't this information be too vague? And if we had the weapon then why don't we know where it comes from?" 

"Vague is better than nothing, and we don't have an exact idea of the knife. Just the length, metal, and sharpness. I'd assume it's probably created in Korea seeing the unsub's dislike for anything else... get back to us as soon as you can."

Jungkook returned to his desk and filtered through the pictures of victims on his desktop. He's done this so many times that their every detail was etched into the back of his eyelids. Even their injuries rushed through his mind. Lacerations, swelling, bruising, and all. 

"Jungkook-ssi, the chief wants to see you in his office." Youngjae said resting his hand on the others shoulder.

"Do you know what it's about?"

"No idea."

Jungkook minimized his screen then proceeded to the glass office. The blinds were shut as they often were. Without a clue of what to expect Jungkook lightly knocked on the door before entering. Standing beside one another behind the large oak desk were Donghae, Jiyong and Chief Seon Woong. Before them with was a man whose eyes had drifted to the open door. 

"Now that our Maknae's showed up you can explain what you're here for detective Tuan," Chief Seon Woong stated crossing his arms over his chest. 

Jungkook waked around the now slightly identified man to stand beside his team. The man straightened out his suit though it didn't need it then prepared to speak.

"I'm detective Mark Tuan from Incheon." the man was surprisingly soft spoken though Jungkook could see the small fire in his eye's, "I am aware of the case you've been working on for the past few months. I'd like to inform you that your little psycho seems to have gone on vacation in my district."

"There have been murders in Incheon? How can you be so sure it's our... psycho?" Jiyong asked calmly raising his brow.

"Hung by their feet? mutilation? Drained of blood like a fish?" Mark's anger was expressed by how he spoke each question harsher than the next, "Mixed?"

"Then I guess yes... that would be our psycho... I'd like full reports on these victims." Jiyong spoke again.

"Do you think I came here just to hand over this information? I'd like to participate in the search for this  bastard."

"What do you think Seon Woong?"

"Couldn't hurt to have another man on the team," The Chief sighed deeply mostly taking in the new information, "I'll get to work on approving the temporary transfer. Jungkook go get detective Tuan fully up to speed."

Jungkook walked Mark out of the office and to his desk. He quietly pulled up a second chair then logged back into his computer. "Jeon Jungkook. You can just call me Jungkook." He said extending his hand before he began. 

"Well you know my name. And you can just refer to me as Mark." he took the hand and gave a good shake. 

Jungkook searched through the numerous tabs left open until he found the right one. The one with copies of all the Yin-Yang notes. "Three months ago a woman was killed and the killer sent in this note. The news station said they'd actually received it day's before. He's been sending them in every other week without fail ever since then."

"That sick..." Mark bit his tongue trying to suppress his anger. 

"How many? In Incheon?"

"Seven. Seven perfectly innocent people... One girl was only fourteen years old." Mark did as he'd done since he'd first arrived and clenched his jaw trying to suppress any over exertion of emotion.

"You said seven?" Jungkook said finding difficulty moving past the young girl in a way that seemed so careless. 

"Yes, is there something you know?"

"Besides the note for Grace... There have been seven more."

Jungook's head worked over this new information. He should have known that these weren't just empty threats. The unsub was too awful to and too filled with hatred to simply leave empty threats. In frustration and in worry about the youngest victim without much thought he adjusted the small picture frame holding an image of his family. 

"May I see that?" Mark asked.

"Sure," Jungkook handed over the object and the other looked over it with a light expression.

"And they are...?"

"My wife Yesenia and daughter Mina."

"Beautiful family... it seems you're really close to the case..."

"Yeah..."

"Lets work hard to catch the son of a ."

"Lets do that."

~~*~~

While Jungkook became increasingly more busy with the case and Yesenia often had to work later than expected the Jeon family looked to Vernon for help. Mostly to distract his obviously fragile mental state. They had him for dinner many times and many other times they had him take Mina to and from school. Mina certainly had no complaints.

However, despite the increasing time he spent with family he would easily disappear for days at a time. More than anyone Mina was the one who worried. She didn't like not having Vernon around and it always seemed just a little off to her when he was gone. But the day he would return she'd shower him with hugs and kisses.

This Saturday afternoon Vernon was babysitting letting Yesenia have some time to rest after a long awful shift. 

"Where are we going today Mr. Vernon?" Her small hand held firmly onto his though it was far to small to get a really good grip.

"How does ice cream sound?"

"Really really really awesome! Especially coming from my Mr. Vernon." she jumped with excitement at his side.

Once the two arrived at the ice cream parlor the decision was easy. One scoop of vanilla for him and two scoops of different flavors for Mina. One was cookie dough and the other was espresso. He almost told her to pick one other than the coffee flavor but figured she'd have a sugar high anyway so why not let her have a little caffeine?

He laughed at her as she managed to cover the tip of her nose with the brown ice cream. He whipped it clean then in the least subtle way stole a bite from her cup. 

"Mr. Vernon that's mine!"

"But I only got one scoop." he said trying to be reasonable.

"Well that's your fault for not being smart." she said threating him with her spoon. He laughed at her cute expression as she tried to look angry. 

"Its been three months since the murder of Grace-" the television in the parlor played a little too loud. Vernon's face saddened instantly thinking about it. Three whole months. Yet still he felt at fault. 

Determined Mina managed to get out of her seat without Vernon realizing until she was halfway to the counter. She reached up and dinged the little bell on the counter top. Vernon was about to take her back to her seat when she started speaking.

"Ahjussi do you have any cartoon channels? Mrs. Chwe was a friend and..."

"I understand. I'll change it quickly." She bowed to him and he changed the channel like promised. 

Vernon just stared at her as she returned to her seat as if nothing really happened. "Mina... You didn't have to do that."

"Yes I did. You're  my best friend Mr. Vernon. When you're sad I'm sad. And I don't think our mommies want us to be sad." she reached over as far as she could and took his hand that was resting on the middle of the table. "You can have some of my ice cream now Mr. Vernon." she said with a small smile.

Mina... You're my best friend too.

__________________________


Omo! I'm soooooo sorry for how long this took. Like I had some sever writers block like duuuude! But I hope you enjoy this update and I hope you enjoy Mark haha. 

Also I was listening to Insane by BTOB when I wrote the Vernon and Mina part. Forgive me for how sad it turned but you should really blame BTOB. NOT ME!

Rina 💜