Chapter 12

Prime Suspect

Jungkook sat in the meeting room with his pen tapping against the table top. It wasn't a steady annoying tap but rather one that sounded once every five minutes. The team was waiting. And they were waiting on Jiyong.

It wasn't a common occurrence that Detective Kwon was the late party. Usually he'd be the first to arrive and scold even those right on time. He was even know to arrive two hours ahead.

Mark sat down next to Jungkook and leaned his head on the younger man. They'd gotten close in the past two weeks. Mark had even been over to dinner a few times.

"How long have we been waiting?" Mark asked raising his head slightly off of Jungkook's shoulder.

Donghae looked at his watch while Jungkook took a look at his phone. "Almost an hour." Jungkook stated first.

"This isn't like him. I wonder what could be keeping him?"

Mark had a list of snide comments he'd love to spew but knew that his sunbae might not appreciate his humor. So instead of speaking the jokes of vanity he simply rested his head back on the maknae's shoulder. Another silence fell on them.

The silence didn't last long though. Moments later the door swung open to reveal Detective Kwon with an arm full of folders. Mark was glad he'd kept his comments to himself. Jiyong set his things on the table then looked around at his fellow team mates.

"What were you doing while I was gone?" He asked instead of apologizing for his tardiness.

"We... Were..." Donghae could only scratch the back of his head not finding a lie to tell the other.

"You should have been going over the files. Even if you've done it a million times and know the information like the back of your hand I need you guys to be able to recite this information in your sleep. Got it?"

"Yes sir." Both Mark and Jungkook called though the former had a subtle hint of sarcasm laced with his words.

"What do we have?" Jungkook asked walking up to open one of the folders sitting on the desk.

"Well firstly I had to go through all purchase records and narrow it down to just the blade. The old man didn't make it easy but I got it done." Jiyong rubbed the back of his sore neck. "I put every buyer through our system. There was maybe two criminals but they died back in 2008 and 2012. But I think I've found some possible suspects."

"Let's see them." Mark said standing up as well.

"The knife has been on the market at least twenty years and isn't all that popular so fortunately we only have a handful of people to look at." Jiyong took out a few magnets to pin up the pictures. "Half of those who bought the knife are already deceased."

"So how many are we looking at?"

"Seven people."

The photos were slowly being pinned up. Jiyong took the time to name each one as he did so.

"Kang Sanghoon, sixty six years old. Chang Yongsik, thirty one. Yoo Jungho, Twenty eight. Song Sungjin, forty three. Hung Geumsuk, fifty. Kim Ok Bin thirty six. And.."

"Who's the last one." Jungkook asked.

"It's strange. And incredibly unnerving."

"Just tell us."

Jiyong pinned up the photograph and revealed it to the others. Their eyes widened as the familiar face met their eyes. "Hansol Vernon Chwe. Twenty years old."

Jungkook could only stare at the board in shock. Was he really a suspect in Jiyong's eyes?

"Are you sure you're not mistaken?" Jungkook asked. His eyes were still fixated on the mixed boy.

"Do you know any other Vernon Chwe's in Seoul? Even in Korea?" Jiyong asked with an eyebrow raised. "I didn't think so."

"It looks like we have our prime suspect." Donghae said slowly.

"We can't jump to conclusions. It's suspicious but any one of these people could have done it." Mark pointed out.

"Listen,"

"Vernon wouldn't do this.." Jungkook started. "There was a look in his eyes.. When his mother died. He never could have hurt her. He couldn't I know it." His eyes never left the board as he spoke.

"He fits the profile Jungkook. He's young and strong. He can easily overcome a variety of people. He has reason to attack our general victims." Jiyong explained.

"What reason would that be?" Mark asked standing beside Jungkook.

"He's mixed. He must hate himself. Hate what his mother had done. As the letters said he hates the corruption people like him and his mother have caused."

"Sounds plausible." Donghae agreed.

"I'm not sold. We need to look into all of the victims. And only then will we decide."

"It's it's an obvious connection. We should draw this out-"

"You're the best aren't you detective Kwon?" Mark questioned cocking his head to the side.

"That's what they say." Jiyong responded looking directly at the younger detective.

"You wouldn't want to book the kid without looking into every possible angle would you? Not only your reputation but justice depends on us all looking through our evidence thoroughly. Then and only then should we even consider labeling someone as a murderer." His voice was quiet but his tone was harsh.

Mark didn't know if Vernon was the unsub but he wouldn't tolerate them blindly pointing a finger. He wouldn't tolerate being wrong.

___________________________

Like a whole month with no update... Eek I'm so sorry *ninety degree bow* blame school. 

It's short too so blame school again. But I hoped you enjoyed the update anyway.

Rina 💜