Chapter 3

Prime Suspect

Cucuy~ the Latino version of the bogeyman who steals children in the night. Parents scare kids into behaving

Her eyes searched everywhere but him. The last face she would see was this monster she could feel it in her soul after every cut he'd made.

She thrashed and screamed and choked on her tears but the noise was useless. The radio had been turned up just for this. Just so that no one could save her in time.

He left with a crooked smile on his face That burned into her mind. She swung her body and screamed louder than she ever had to. Louder than she ever thought she could.

"Save me!"

The blood in her veins and the blood from the irreparable wounds flooded to her head. Her face swelled and her head throbbed. The slowing beats of her heart gave her the feeling of dunking under water. Vision minimal and sounds faded or even non existent at some point. Life seemed so abstract as she was silent for a moment. With the image of a crooked smile seared into the back of her eyeballs she let out one last gut wrenching scream.

Colors and shapes were faded and fusing into a now never ending blackness.

~~*~~

"Be good for your mother," Jungkook warned Mina who had her arms tightly wrapped around his neck.

"And if I'm not?" She questioned in defiance.

Jungkook had to think a moment. He hadn't expected her to actually say she wouldn't be good. Yesenia laughed at her struggling husband. She rested her chin on his shoulder and looked straight in her daughters eyes.

"Easy, the Cucuy will get you." Yesenia said this as if it were obvious.

Mina's eyes widened at the mention of this monstrous myth. Some creature too scary to describe lurking in the shadows and beneath the bed just waiting for her to be bad. Just waiting to whisk her away into the night and never return her. This always seemed to strike fear into her heart.

"I'll be good I promise! Daddy don't let the monster get me!! I'll be good!" She pleaded sincerely.

"As long as you're good I won't let any monster hurt you. Never ever."

He left his family with kisses and hugs and happily made his way to work. As soon as he stepped into the office doors another detective latched onto his shoulders. He looked him straight in the eyes and began to speak.

"Are you Jeon Jungkook?"

"Yes sir."

The older man smiled at him, "Good because Jiyong wants me to take you to the scene." The man turned Jungkook around with his arm still draped over his shoulders.

They made their way to the detectives car before Jungkook got the urge to speak up. "What scene? And who are you?"

"Wow! My bad," the man laughed sliding into the drivers seat. "My name is Donghae. I'm part of the four member team on the serial killer case. Jiyong was gonna have you look at some of the bodies in the morgue today but turns out another victim showed up." He scratched the back of his head and the looked up at Jungkook quizzically, "are you gonna get in the car?"

Jungkook smiled awkwardly before getting in and buckling his seat belt. The ride was smooth and quick. The radio played like a silent soundtrack to their small talk.

"Have you met the chief yet?" Donghae asked as the car slowly came to a stop.

"Not formally. He's been a little too busy to greet me yet."

"Well then today's a good day for you. He came here with Jiyong so you'll get your first taste of the man."

The engine was cut and the two made their way into the old broken down store. The for sale sign looked like it had been run over and the old dirty brick was covered in graffiti.

"I already don't like the look of this." Donghae said referring to the flickering lights and destroyed metal stands.

Jungkook's hand immediately flew up to cover his nose. The stench of blood was already so strong and they weren't even near the body yet. The sound of several voices became louder the farther back they went.

"Glad you two could make it." Jiyong laughed quietly as the two stepped into the room.

To Jungkook it seemed like a morbid thing to do seeing as the hanging body was just behind him. But he realized the man had seen more than his fair share of bodies. He had after all been in this position for over fourteen years. He'd probably seen worse.

"Once the body's down we'll make a quick examination. I am aware that you and the chief haven't been fully introduced. Chief Lee Seon Woong. Jeon Jungkook." Jiyong gestured to each in turn.

They bowed to one another then quickly they moved onto what Seon Woong and Jiyong had been discussing before the arrival.

"First of all the main reason this person. Was found was because of a noise complaint. The radio was cranked to its highest volume. Why is that?"

"I don't know seonsaengnim. You tell us." Donghae laughed along with the chief.

"Don't mock my methods." Jiyong warned with a smirk. "Jungkook."

"Um-" he coughed. The smell of the woman's blood hadn't gone anywhere seeing how most of it had coated the ground beneath their feet. "They wanted to make sure... No one could catch him while he killed her?"

"That's right. And based on that alone we can assume what?"

"He tortured her before he killed her." Donghae said jotting down notes into a small notebook.

"We've taken pictures of everything sir just tell us when you'd like us to get an ambulance to transport her body." The few men in forensics bowed and made their leave just outside of the room.

The four men made their way over to the woman's body which had been set down away from the blood.

"She has lacerations on her ankles from being hung upside down on the at steel beam up there. Her clothes removed..." Everyone was scribbling notes down and Jungkook followed suit.

"She has four small cuts on her neck. Two on either side but they look deep enough to cause quite a bit of damage." Donghae noted absently.

"It seems like an eight inch gash across her stomach just under her navel." Seon Woong added.

"And severe mutilation." Jiyong stated. It was odd for Jungkook. Obviously they had worked together long enough they were comfortable saying whatever. He didn't want to add in if he were to be wrong or interrupting someone. "I was going to go over this stuff with you today Jungkook but now is a good a time as any to tell you that this is just how the other victims were killed. Most likely she died of exsanguination. One or two of our victims were so cut up you could hardly identify their gender." Jiyong sighed and shook his head slightly.

"I have a question."

"Go ahead kid." Seon Woong urged.

"She was hung upside down so obviously her face is a little swollen. Well her legs are too despite how thin she is. Do you think there is a reason for that?"

"There is actually. It's plausible she had a desk job. When you stay seated for hours at a time blood circulation slows, or she may have a clot, resulting in edema. Which is just excess fluid which causes that swelling."

"Look at you showing off!" Donghae said shaking his head. "What you don't know about your partner is that he was originally going to become a doctor. He thinks he knows everything now." Jiyong rolled his eyes and ignored the statement.

"We'll wait for a full autopsy to verify everything but for now we can go back to the office and start filling out her file. Forensics should get her identity to us by the end of the week if a missing persons report doesn't show up first." Jiyong said leading them out of the room.

Jungkook was thankful they were able to leave. They let the other officers call for the ambulance before they left. Jungkook switched cars and now he road with Jiyong back to the precinct.

"I know that was intimidating kid. That first face will stick with you for a long time. Just think about catching the bastard who killed her."

Jungkook felt a little numb all of a sudden and he was feeling slightly nauseous but he didn't want to seem weak by telling anyone. This is what he signed up for. He took a deep breath. The others had gotten use to it and so would he.

_____________________

Firstly At the time I wrote this I had just purchased Block B tickets when they came to Chicago! Sooo excited for it too. Taeil's voice was like magic. Everyone was super hype! best day ever even though i didn't get any t-shirts or anything but I did get a balloon! I could really go on forever about that concert but I wont cuz you don't care lol.

Second what did you think. Also who should be part of the four member team? We have GD, Donghae, and Jungkook. Who else would you like to be on this team?

And third I love everybody who reads. Like you all make me so happy!!
 

Cucuy might be more important than I thought haha!

Rina💜