Surprise Present

Knight in Shining Armor

(No POV)

"Are you sure you want this, if you want, all you have to do is drop it, nothing ever happened," Suho turned to see Minseok, sitting on the couch head down.

"I'm sure," she the ribbon on the coffee table in front of her.

"Really, we all heard from him in person, he's with another girl," Suho reasoned.

"I know that, it's just, I want to find out...  if I was ever anything..." Minseok bit her cheek. Suho understood. Of course, if the person who reconstructed your life was fake, then what else was? 

"Okay."

Minseok picked up the small item and neatly stuffed it into a small box. She slowly wrapped the package, fingers trembling. Finally, tying the thick red ribbon around the present it was done. 

Minseok passed the box back and forth in each hand, feeling more and more nervous. Then she remembered, she shouldn't be the one who's scared. She shouldn't be like this. Minseok wanted to lower her expectations but couldn't help having high hopes, still doubting if everything was just a trick, a prank, a misunderstanding. 

"Minseok," Suho sat beside her, at a safe distance.

"Hm," Minseok looked up, her eyes hardening, to hide any trace of her jumbling emotions from Suho.

"I'll go with you," Suho said, face determined.

"Why? You don't have to," Minseok furrowed her brows.

"No, I want to, even if I just wait outside, I need to be by your side this time," Suho had the haunting conscience that everything happening was somehow her fault for leaving Minseok behind.

"Okay."

"Tomorrow, but make sure to get some sleep tonight at least," Suho stood, hand trailing on the couch lining. 

"Yeah," Minseok set aside the gift, 


It was Christmas week, specifically one day before Christmas. 

Christmas carols echoed around department stores, the radio, TVs, everything. It was a jolly season, everyone getting their presents wrapped up for the next day. Even Minseok. 

"Luhan," Joohee entered Luhan's room, dressed nicely as always. Her blonde hair neatly gathered in a bun, fur coat draped over her tight black dress. She was carrying a cream manila folder.

"Joohee," Luhan smiled at the familiar face, "what brings you here? We don't have to meet until tomorrow, with the family."

"What, I can't see you when we don't go on our 'dates'?" She smirked, hand on hip. Her face changed as soon as she entered the room, from looking like a classy lady to a cool dude, feet pointing outward, sagging her shoulders, letting her face contort. 

"Have you fallen for me or something?" Luhan raised a brow. 

"Are you kidding? For the record I do like you, but I will never love you, maybe like a brother. I take that back, more like a friend. Don't let your ego inflate too much," she punched his shoulder, laughing. 

"Alright, Alright, I kid, I kid," he raised his hands in surrender. "So what's really up?" Luhan eyed the sleek folder in her manicured hands.

"Oh, this, it's our marriage papers," she waved it in front oh him. "Our parents already signed it."

"And what's this, my early Christmas present?" Luhan massaged his temples. He didn't want to deal with this on Christmas Eve.

"In face yes, but from me, it's not what you are expecting," she grinned.

"What?" Luhan cocked his head to the side, clearly confused by her puzzling words, "you are speaking in riddles, out with it."

Joohee simple opened the folder to reveal the staples papers, minus a pen. 

Resting her weight on one leg she used her pretty fingers to tear through the papers.

"What-" Luhan's eyes bulged seeing what she had just done. 

"Merry Christmas, as I said, I don't love you, I can't marry you Luhan," Joohee smiled, eyes melancholy, "I know you have some girlfriend out there, do something good for her this Christmas, I'll take care of our parents. My parents, I can handle them from now on, but after Christmas, watch out for your own."

"But after, what? Why now?" Luhan was extremely hyper yet confused, and honestly a bit scared.

"Luhan. Do you understand? I'm in love, with someone else. He may not be a CEO but with proper training he can just take over my dad's company, and all works out, all you need to do is get your parents to approve of your boo," She handed him the shredded papers.

"I-I.." Luhan remained in shock.

"You're welcome, it was nice being your fiancee Luhan, maybe one day we can meet again, and I'll get to meet your girl, and you can meet my boyfriend. I pray that we can see each other again, as friends, or even business partners," Joohee cupped his cheek, and kissed it, "farewell, you were a great guy, it was cool while it lasted."

Joohee turned her heel, about to set off.

"Wait!" and she did so, "I-I.. see you, later I mean. We should meet up sometime."

"That sounds nice, I'll be downstairs keeping watch, your parents aren't here yet, but they will be, you have to get out soon, maybe in two hours max," she gave him one last smile and was on her way. 


Luhan sat, back against the headboard of his bead. He was free. Not for long though. Just this Christmas! That meant... he could be with his baozi! He leaped for his cell phone, but noticed he already got a text and multiple missed calls. From Minseok.

Missed Call: 2 From Baozi

5:35 PM: Are you free today?

5:35 PM: Text me when you get this

5:56 PM: Texting you~

5:57 PM: Are you free later?

5:57 PM: I'm free all of the rest of the day today and tomorrow

5:57 PM: Can we meet?

5:58 PM: Of course, should I go to your place? School?

5:58 PM: It's fine, I'll go to you, where are you?

5:58 PM: Are you sure? I'm at my parent's place, but they aren't home

5:59 PM: Yeah, I'm bringing Suho, we won't stay for long, I'm just coming to see you

5:59 PM: Come quickly~!!^^

Luhan turned off his phone, seeing that she wasn't going to respond. He also got the hint that she wasn't coming by for cuddling, and it was important, as she was willing to come to his parent's house, which he quickly sent the address to.  Also that she was planning something. Maybe an early present! Maybe Suho was just a cover? No, he shouldn't make assumptions, but the gift theory was still valid.

He scurried around his room, seeing if there was something he could get Minseok, last minute, he hadn't had time to shop for anything yet. Then he spotted something.

"Perfect!" His eyes lit up, as he grabbed an envelope.


About half an hour later Minseok showed up at the door. With Suho behind her. Luhan felt content seeing that she had a gift in hand, he was right! Minseok was dressed like usual, plain large sweater and tights, but something was missing. She looked cold, without her scarf. 

"Minseok ah! What's up?" He pretended not to notice a few things. The gift she hid behind her back, how nervous she looked, and Suho's reaction. 

Of course, with how he was acting before, compared to now, was quite the difference. He hadn't meant to make such a bad first impression on her, but he had to deal with the team. 

"Hi, Merry Christmas' Eve," Minseok handed him the gift, she whispered something in Suho's ear, which was probably something like "can you give us some time alone" because she walked into a different room, leaving Luhan and Minseok in the living space. 

"For me? You didn't' have to! Plus it's early! But I have yours as well! Sit!" Luhan set aside the gift and presented his own. 

"Oh, uh, thanks, but no thanks," Minseok rejected the seat but opened the envelope. She paled, seeing its contents. For a second she froze.

"You like it? Now you can quit your job!" Luhan looked ecstatic. 

He should've known. She loved her job at the coffee shop. She didn't need this. She didn't want it. She should've known. Her face burned. With hate? Embarrassment? Fear? Disappointment? She felt hot tears gather at her eyes, so she bit her tongue. 

Minseok threw the envelope somewhere at Luhan, she didn't see, but she just ran off, slamming the door behind her. 

"What happened!?" Suho ran into the room. At the same time another girl ran in from another door.

"I heard a slam!" Joohee and Suho switched looks. 

"Who are you?" Suho bit.

"I don't know, who are you?" Joohee fought.

"Stop, you two had no part in this!" Luhan stepped between them. Then he sighed when they looked at him, confused. Taking a seat, he looked extremely lost.

"What happened?" Suho glared at Luhan.

"I just gave her a gift, and she ran off!" Luhan defended, hands up.

"What did you give her?" Joohee sat by his side. 

"That," He pointed to the envelope. Suho picked up the discarded object, looked inside, and she almost dropped it. Inside were wads of cash and a check, enough to pay of Minseok's school debt, and have her pretty much set for the next few years. 

"You didn't..." Joohee pleaded to Luhan, who didn't understand the situation.

"What did you say to her, exactly?" Suho whipped her head in the direction of the door. 

"T-That she could finally quit her job! I mean she needed the money right!" Luhan blurted.

"She loves her job! And do you have any idea what it's called when you give someone all this money and stuff!?" Suho face palmed, done with Luhan and his thinking.

"Being a good boyfriend?" Joohee smacked him up the head when he said that.

"It's called being a sugar daddy! You can't keep around a side chick using money like this! God, I should've broken the document earlier..." Joohee muttered.

"What?" Suho noted.

"I broke off our engagement, I don't love this stupid guy. In case you didn't know, I'm his ex fiancee," she jabbed a finger at Luhan.

"Does Minseok know yet?" Suho's eyes widened. What was with this guy? This was the exact opposite of him before. Now he was like a confused lost rich puppy.

"No, she never knew about the engagement anyway..." Luhan and Joohee breathed, thank goodness, it could've been worse.

"About that..." Suho trailed off. It got worse.

"She knows!?" Luhan jumped up, imitating a deer in the headlights.

"She was there that day you told all of us! And you don't think by not telling her directly she wouldn't find out through us!?" Suho pointed at Luhan, causing him to back away quickly. 

"Luhan, you better run, find her, don't screw it up," Joohee who was silent, warned him. Luhan tripped as he tried to climb over the couch. 

"Wait, shouldn't you open the gift!? Maybe there's something important in it!" Joohee yelled. Luhan scurried back, practically tearing through the wrapping.

Inside was a note? No. It was a small slip. The detention slip from back then. She kept it. It was the reason they were able to get to know each other in the first place. What did that have to do with anything. 

"On the back," Joohee noticed.

He flipped it, a small message was neatly imprinted on it, written with many mistakes, whited out and redone over and over. 

It read: 

"Luhan, this, all of this, was it just some joke? Or some misunderstanding? Or was I just some girl you wanted to play around with while you were bored that day in detention? Was I just your play toy? Maybe you weren't who I thought you were. Maybe it was me. Did I misunderstand?

-Minseok

P.S. Take back the gifts, including the scarf. Don't talk to me if this is the truth."

He set aside the note, which the two girls picked up to read themselves and looked into the box, inside was the scarf he gave her. 

"Lu-" Joohee looked up, expecting an explanation to what she meant by the "day in detention" but Luhan was already on his way out the door, scarf in hand, not even bothering to grab a coat. 


Note: A bit longer this time! Enjoy! 

What do you think so far? Any suggestions? Leave the down in the comments! 

Tell me if you'd like a few extra stories including side pairings!