Bittersweet Coffee

Knight in Shining Armor

(No POV)

"So what do you think? Take me up on the offer? It can be like old times, except it's actually legal!" Suho laughed. Remaining as the manager of Love Coffee, the cafe. With multiple branches scattered throughout Asia and Europe, Suho was in a high position after returning from her barista studies overseas, and her private apprentice, Minseok, was finally up to age. Technically she never worked, only practicing after hours, late, which she was grateful to Suho for. 

"Of course! I still need to pay off that debt somehow after all...," Minseok lightheartedly commented. Her debt wasn't huge, or a secret. Sure, her parents sent her an allowance, but it's not like either her or her parents had the money to pay off the debt, another reason why they work elsewhere in the first place. Plus, she was dying to start working at the cafe, it'd probably be something she'll do for the rest of her life.

"Great! When do you want to start?" Suho handed her an extra apron, no need for tests or applications, she knew Minseok's potential. 

"Anytime is good," Minseok beamed, her cheeks glowing. She settled for hanging her new uniform in her official locker, and the two walked to the door.

"Then you can start this weekend," Suho held open the door for the two of them, the breeze attacking them, making them shudder. 

"God, why is it so cold..." Minseok furrowed her brows, clenching her fist as her body went stiff, another gust of icy air sneaking up on them.

"It is December, I'm surprised that it hasn't even started snowing yet," Suho looked up at the dark sky, still clear. 

"I guess I should be thankful then," she sneezed, feeling her eyes start to water.

"Come on, let's hurry back, we can go to my place," Suho clenched Minseok's shoulder and the two sped off in the darkness, fleeing to a source of warmth. 

Finally, reaching Suho's apartment the two practically fell apart when they reached inside. Slamming the door closed, as if a stalker was lurking behind the two, the brisk environment suddenly turned warm and cozy. Suho and Minseok fell to the floor by the front door, not even bothering to remove their shoes. The warmth too tempting. 

"Take off your shoes, let's get the lights on, I'll get some hot drinks and blankets," Suho scurried off to her kitchen, just to do so.

Minseok didn't do as told, as she ran forward into the small living room, the warm velvety brown couch inviting her.

"Minseok, the lights," Suho was confused as she entered with a plate of two mugs and a large blanket for them to share. Minseok instead popped in a DVD, playing some random movie.

"Come here, it'll make things have a better atmosphere with the lights off," Minseok waved her over, to which she happily complied to. The two bundled up in the blanket, side to side, sipping their drinks. The howling of the wind was barely heard through the singing of the Disney movie. Large flashing pictures distracted the two from the rustling trees whooshing outside. 

Minseok felt her head bobbing up and down, struggling to stay away, as the hours sped away. 

"Minseok ah, can you stand, you can stay over, but lets got to my room, we can share the bed," Suho suggested, it was common that they slept at each other's places. Minseok in hand pushed herself upright, shaking her head to keep herself conscious, stumbling her was to the large sized bed. Although the apartment was small, Suho could afford a lot, but chose to be more conservative when she wanted to. 

The two cuddled together within the blankets and pillows, Suho maternally running her hands through Minseok's hair.

"I'm sorry I wasn't there for you back then, but I'm here now," Suho whispered.

"It's not your fault, and I had Yixing, Baekhyun, and Kyungsoo to help me," Minseok muttered, dazed from sleep.

"That's right, those three, I have yet to meet them, and this famous soccer team," Suho was curious to these new people, she hoped they were good people. Sure she met the three girls once, but had yet to really get to know them, judge them...

"We can do that soon, go to sleep now, goodnight myeon," Minseok felt herself give into sleep.

"Goodnight."


"Minseok ah."

"Minseok."

"Min."

"Seok."

"Unnie~" 

Said girl peeked open one eye to see Suho, hair in a bun, fringe framing her face, minimal makeup decorating her face. Completely dressed in simple light blue jeans and a sheer white button up top made Minseok double take. Suho's recently dyed blonde hair gave her the memory of an angel, especially when she whispered Minseok's name to awaken her. Suho and Minseok were same age, although Suho graduated early, and chose to go study outside of Korea so she could start her own business at the cafe sooner, yet she still called Minseok "Unnie" claiming that she was still a few weeks older than her. 

"Su.. ho?" Minseok mumbled, covering herself further with her comforter, it was too cold for this. 

"Come on, get up, it's time to get dressed," Suho pet Minseok's hair, her shoulder, as to jostle her back awake gently. 

"Ngghhh... but it's the day off, teachers have a school meeting today, it's optional to be on campus today," Minseok groaned, attempting to pull Suho under the covers as well. 

"Don't you dare... I still want to meet your friends, Seokkie," She reminded. 

"Fine," Minseok sat up, her arms chilling at the change in temperature. She stood, moving out of Suho's way, pulling on her uniform, which she had packed beforehand. They planned to stay together all weekend, so she brought her uniform, thankfully, in case something happened where she couldn't go home. 

Suho revealed a hairbrush and began to run it through Minseok's chocolaty hair. It ran through smoothly, something most girls envied. Suho sighed silently, wondering if Minseok was aware of how beautiful she actually was, and how many girls would die to have her features. Minseok's large catty eyes, dark luscious hair, plump lips, milky skin, button nose, clear skin, all of it. Luhan was a lucky guy, she thought about what kind of person he was. If Minseok managed to love him, he must be a great guy.

"Suho?" Minseok turned, only to see Suho mindlessly still brushing her hair, looking a bit melancholy and lost. 

"eh?" Suho snapped out of her daze.

"I'm ready, let's go," Minseok put down the hairbrush, and the two were on their way to the school.


"I wonder what he's doing..." Tao pursed his lips, thinking of where their dear captain was. 

"Che- probably ditching practice again," Kris spat, looking angry, although everyone took note of the worry in his eyes.

"Wonder what's up, Luhan doesn't miss practice much, he loves soccer," Chanyeol put his hand to his chin, imitating a detective. 

"Who cares, he hasn't shown up in the past few weeks, some leader," Sehun scoffed, unable to get the image of his captain with an arm around that girl's waist. 

"Sehun..." Chen wanted to lift the mood, but he was right. It had been far too long, a captain shouldn't miss any practices unless necessary. 

The five of them sat around, unable to get themselves to practice whilst missing a member. Sure, they had other members, a soccer team couldn't play with only six, but during today's practice, it was optional, due to the break. 

"Hey," a familiar voice called from the distant field. 

"Minseok!" Tao ran over, hugging the life out of the small girl. 

"Don't... Tao! Can't-breathe! Stop!" Minseok sputtered, her lungs squeezing from the pressure of the embrace. 

"Are you wearing the bracelet I designed?" Tao's eyes lit up seeing the sparkling silver dangling from her slim wrist. 

"Who's this?" Kris nodded his head in Suho's direction. 

"A fine lady, that's what," Chen leaned up by her side, and raised his brows, giving a smirk.

"Um, Suho, my name's Junmyeon, but I also go by Suho," Suho toed away from him, bumping into Kris. She looked up, surprised to see an equally surprised, and wow, blushing giant. 

"Nice to meet you," Kris offered his hand, which Suho accepted, her hand disappearing in his as they shook. 

"Okay Kris, that's enough," Chanyeol muttered, slapping Kris on the back.

"We can talk later?" Suho offered. Kris nodded in reply, looking dazed.

"Someone has a crush~" Chen sang disguised under a cough. Kris kicked his shin, coughing as well.

Brrzzzzt Brrrzzzzttt

​"It's my teacher, I gotta go, I'll meet up with you guys later, you can get aquatinted to Suho," Minseok peeked at her phone, getting a text from her homeroom teacher asking if she had time to help him out at the teacher's meeting, "As you already know, that's Kris. Kris, Suho, Suho Kris. Sehun, Suho, Suho Sehun. Tao, Suho, Suho, Tao. Chanyeol, Suho, Suho Chanyeol, Chen, Suho, Suho, Chen." 

"You have his phone number?" Sehun gave Minseok a judging look.

"I help with school work, I'm going to be a teacher's assistant next semester," Minseok raised a brow, as if to challenge him.

"Still, using your free time at school," Tao immediately went from childish to sassy. 

"Shush, it's for a good cause," Minseok felt her neck warm, and escaped up the stadium stairs to the classroom assigned for the meeting.

Just as she left, another person entered the field. 


"What are you doing here!?" Sehun took the person by the collar, and tightened his group seeing that the person wasn't effected.

"Sehun! What are you doing?" Chanyeol gaped. Suho was confused, who was this person, and why was Sehun so angry, Minseok hadn't mentioned anything like this.

Sehun raised his other hand, almost punching the other but stopping abruptly.

"STOP!" Suho stepped in between the two, "What do you think you are doing? Are you guys bullies or something?" 

"No, this guy has the nerve to show up now, after all this time, and he's also a liar and a cheater!" Sehun grit his teeth, throwing him on the ground, out of his grip.

"What?" This guy? Who was he? Suho was immensely confused.

"Well, captain, care to explain?" Sehun looked over to not only Suho but also the other team members, who were just as confused.


Note: Who's the soccer captain?