CHAPTER 1

SAILBOATS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“My dad’s going to kill me!” Kyungsoo exclaimed as he held the result paper in one hand and the other on his temple. His eyes were red and puffy from crying. He had the perfect score for all his subjects except for one-History-in which he got a ‘B’.

            “At least you passed,” Chanyeol stood beside him, trying to comfort his friend. Chanyeol’s results were as he had wished-passed all the subjects. He was satisfied with it of course, for he knew he could never be better.

            “No, you don’t understand,” Kyungsoo said under his breath, “I can’t afford a ‘B’.”

           “But look, I only get all the subjects passed and I’m doing fine,” Chanyeol said with a smile. Kyungsoo only sighed. He knew Chanyeol was just trying to help. But this wasn’t helping. And he also knew his friend wouldn’t understand.

            The school bell rang indicating that school was over. But Kyungsoo was reluctant to go home. He shoved his result paper into his bag and slung it over his back. Chanyeol swung his arm across Kyungsoo’s shoulders.

            “Come on, let’s go home.”

            Kyungsoo was half walking and half being dragged by his tall friend on his way back home. Kyungsoo stood in front of the door, staring at it blankly without the intention of opening it. Chanyeol put his hand on his shoulder.

            “It’s going to be alright,” he said softly with a smile. Kyungsoo looked up at him and returned the gesture.

            “Thanks, pal,” he said and averted his eyes. Chanyeol headed back towards his house. For him, it was just like any other day. His mother hugged him tight as soon as he got in. And when she heard about Chanyeol’s results, she cupped his face and told him how proud she was. And she promised to cook him a very special dinner to celebrate for his results. For her, happiness was all that matters.

            “Thanks mum,” Chanyeol said softly, “I love you.”

            “Well, go on and get changed while I prepare for our dinner,” his mum said and went into the kitchen. Chanyeol ran upstairs into his room. He tossed his bag aside and sat by the window facing Kyungsoo’s room. He wondered how his friend dealing with his results.

            But just when he was beginning to think that things will be alright for Kyungsoo, he heard yellings from his house. It was his father. Chanyeol could recognize his voice. And he realized, Kyungsoo was being scolded. Chanyeol couldn’t help but feel sorry for him. He knew Kyungsoo’s dad was strict, but he never knew he was this strict. The yelling stopped. Chanyeol ran downstairs and out the door in a matter of seconds.

            “Chanyeol! What-” his mother didn’t even get to finish her question before Chanyeol was out of earshot. He raced across the plain and reached Kyungsoo’s house. He wanted to scream his name but decided against it. He walked around the house until he found Kyungsoo’s room.

            “Kyungsoo!” he whispered as loud as he could. But there was no answer from his friend. The windows were shut and the curtains were drawn. Chanyeol tried again. But the house remained silent. Looking around him, Chanyeol decided to climb. It took him some time before he reached the balcony outside Kyungsoo’s room. His hand and leg muscles ached when he finally got himself over the rails. He collapsed onto the floor with a thud.

            The glass door slide open, Kyungsoo stared at Chanyeol, wide-eyed and about to scream. His mouth was hanging open and his eyes were as big and round as a ping pong ball. Chanyeol saw his friend and quickly put his finger to his lips, signaling Kyungsoo to be quiet. Luckily, he didn’t scream.

            “What are you doing here?” Kyungsoo hissed. But Chanyeol only

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter