Eight Hour

Our Time Together

Joy happily marched along the corridors to Sungjae's classroom. She was really excited to talk to him, though she was a bit shy about it. She peeped into the room through the window and called his name. But he didn't respond to her. She continued to call his name, even ending up to call his full name. But again, his head was on his desk. 

"Yook Sung--"

"I'm tired, Joy," Joy managed to hear that from Sungjae. "Can we not talk now? I want to sleep."

Joy's eyes drooped down. Sungjae wasn't even facing her. She frowned before returning the smile on her face again. 

"It's... It's okay, Sungjae. I didn't know," Joy's voice decreased in volume. "I'm sorry... for disturbing you."

 

Sungjae knew he hurt Joy's feelings with how he acted but stress was taking over. He felt pressured in his room, especially since he was going to report a lot of things on that day. Taehyung raised an eyebrow at him after he watched Joy leave the vicinity of his sight. Taehyung then proceeded on approaching Sungjae and sitting in front of him. 

"You could've rejected her in a nice way," Taehyung started. Sungjae growned.

"Being nice is tiring sometimes," Sungjae reasoned. "And sheesh, how can I shake a girl off?" 

"I thought you were interested in her," Taehyung whistled. "Was I wrong?"

"Interested, in a sense that, well, I want to be her friend," Sungjae explained himself. "Joy's an interesting character, as much as every student in our batch."

"As much as every student?" Taehyung laughed. "You must be joking me here, Sungjae. If you're planning to break her heart..."

"I know," Sungjae's lips formed a thin line. "I don't like anyone in particular now, Taehyung. I don't even have an ideal type. What is an overly romantic girl doing liking a plant like me?"

"Well, I don't know," Taehyung shrugged. "You're the first guy I know who she likes and is not flirty with anyone. Like have you seen her past interests? Geez, she loves them bad boys."

"What is she doing with me then?" Sungjae raised his head. 

"You're her angel," Taehyung snickered. "I think she wants to change for the better and you're her key to the bright future she dreams of."

 

"What are you doing here?" Seulgi asked when Joy returned to their room. "What's with that long face?"

"Sungjae said he needs to rest," Joy slowly went back to her seat. "And I let him. He's one of the best students I know. I should let him have the rest that he needs."

Seulgi hugged Joy tightly and smiled at her. 

"Then let's just trust whatever he said," Seulgi told her. "If he's lying, so be it. And if he's not, bless his soul."

"Besides, we're not dating just yet. I have no right to get mad," Joy muttered. 

"Yet?" Seulgi laughed. "You are so full of hope, Joy."

"Of course," Joy snickered. "It's the only thing I have with me, besides you guys." 

 

"I think I should say sorry," Sungjae muttered. Joshua raised an eyebrow. 

"Oho?" He lessened the distance between their faces. "You think so, Yookie my boy?" 

"Don't tease me," Sungjae pushed Joshua away. "I was rather rude to her."

"Be fast then," Joshua smirked. "Before she goes home."

Sungjae stood up. 

"I will." 

Sungjae went out of the room but Chorong blocked his way from going out. Sungjae paused for a moment. He heard a few times that Chorong had a crush on him but he never believed any of the rumours. Chorong never acted like she liked Sungjae in any way. She treated him like how she treated all of the other men in their class.

"Sungjae, can you help me out?" 

 

"Hey," Joy coolly tapped Henry's shoulder. "Do you have anything else to do?"

"Nothing," Henry shrugged. "You?" 

"Nah," Joy held Henry's hand and swung him around. "Bored. Our crushes aren't going home soon, aren't they?"

"We have an early dismissal," Henry rolled his eyes. "What do you think?" 

"Sorry, ain't a genius, Henry," Joy frowned. "Are you going to help me approach him again?"

"I might," Henry paused. "Depends. You're such a coward when it comes to him."

"Psh--" Joy laughed. "I've been doing good, you know."

"Oh look, it's Sungjae," Henry pointed at Sungjae's direction with his other hand. "Want to go to him?"

Joy turned her head to his direction but she soon frowned. Chorong... Chorong was with Sungjae? Joy pulled Henry towards him and told him to nevermind Sungjae at that moment. She then turned her back at them and pulled Henry along with her. She knew she had no right to be jealous but she was. She knew Sungjae wouldn't care but she wished she was wrong.

 

Sungjae only noticed Joy when she was storming away from him with Henry on her trail. He didn't know why he felt guilty. He was just helping Chorong out with bringing the hand-outs their teacher gave to her. He knew he had no fault in the situation. Chorong looked at him with confusion when his lips formed a thin line.

"Are you okay, Sungjae?" Chorong asked. Sungjae hesitated but he nodded. He should be alright. He didn't like Joy in any way. And it was better for her to be with Henry at that moment. She could rant with Henry while it wasn't Sungjae's dismissal. But there was something in Joy's step, there was something in how she looked back at Sungjae, that struck him with guilt and another foreign feeling.

"Are you sure?" Chorong asked before she held Sungjae's wrist. "Because you've been staring at that direction for five minutes already."

"I'm fine, Chorong," Sungjae smiled at her before looking back at the stack of hand-outs on the teacher's table. "Just a minor problem. I can handle this soon."

"If you say so then, I have no right to meddle," Chorong whistled. "Ah, right, want to eat lunch together tomorrow?"