First Hour

Our Time Together

Joy was torn when she took a step into the school grounds. It was the D-Day. It was the beginning  of a new chapter in her life, well, a chapter of talking with Sungjae. And she was really nervous about it. Since the previous night, Joy could not make up her mind on what they would talk about. They'll spend their whole lunch break with each other. Joy should keep things interesting so Sungjae wouldn't get bored of her.

Joy tossed her bag towards her seat and went out of her classroom. She needed to think. In her hand was a book she was reading, "Peter Pan". Yes, she was  reading "Peter Pan" and she knew it was childish but reading it in English was a different matter in her school. She was fluent in English after all, more fluent than most of her batch and she was exercising her skills.

She turned her head to Sungjae's classroom. Apparently, he hadn't arrived yet. It was the first time Joy felt relief while Sungjae was gone. She was usually excited when Sungjae went to school early but that day was a different matter. Joy inhaled deeply before walking ahead to the yard of the school. Maybe she'll have an idea on what to talk about later on.

I can do this. If I can't do this, then I can't get Sungjae for myself.

 

"Oppa, what's for breakfast?" 

Sungjae turned his head to his younger sister. He smiled at her gently before raising his spatula.

"Omelette rice, Jaesung's favourite," Sungjae answered. The youngest sibling cheered and grinned.

"Tomorrow, we'll have chicken since it's Sunghee's favourite," Sungjae told them. The only girl, Sunghee, clapped her hands.

"Hyung, hyung, could you teach me how to cook someday?" Jaesung asked. Sungjae nodded.

"I'll teach Sunghee too," Sungjae said. "Oh yeah, Sunghee, you mentioned wanting to enter my school?"

Sunghee nodded.

"It's a famous school after all. It'll be nice if I graduate there before moving into one of the SKY universities," Sunghee explained.

"Aigoo," Sungjae ruffled Sunghee's hair. "Our Sunghee-yah is being as wise as she is. That'll take you to a higher place someday."

"Noona's smarter than both of us after all, hyung," Jaesung said. Sunghee snickered.

"Stop praising me too much, boys," she said, her cheeks slowly turning red.

"We're just saying the truth, Sunghee-yah," Sungjae said as he smiled at his sister. "Let's hurry now. We don't want to be late for class."

 

"Joy, look," one of her classmates said as she pointed at the door of their classroom. "It's Yook Sungjae!"

Joy puffed her cheeks and avoided looking at the door. She wasn't fond of remembering that she made a promise to talk to Sungjae everyday. And one hour each day. What'll they talk about? The question tormented the poor girl that she might tear her hair out soon. She hit her head against her desk and sobbed silently. 

"Think, Joy, think," she repeated to herself until the school bell signalled the start of hell.

 

Joy groaned when she heard the bell signal the apocalypse, and by apocalypse, she meant lunch time. She was going to spend her entire lunch with Sungjae, the guy she desperately likes. It may sound like luck or a fairy tale but no princess sweats like Joy was at that moment. She shuffled through her things and brought out her lunch box, which her mother prepared for her. She sighed before standing up and marching towards the door of the room when the unexpected happened. 

"Oh, Joy, I was looking for you," Sungjae said as he casually leaned his arm against the door frame. 

Control yourself, Joy, you can do this. Joy brought her eyes up to meet with Sungjae's before turning away with her cheeks tainted red. No, I can't do this. Screw positive thinking. Screw thinking. I can't even think when he's around. 

"A-Ah," Joy gulped. "Want to go to the school's yard? I usually eat there with my friends. I know this spot where the sunlight doesn't really reach and yeah."

Sungjae paused for a second before nodding. 

"Why not? Lead the way, Joy."

I... I will. Joy thought to herself before awkwardly marching out of the room. Sungjae tailed behind her. Joy knew the one hour already started but she was just too nervous to start a casual conversation. 

"So, uh," Sungjae cleared his throat. "Why do you call yourself Joy? Don't you have a Korean name? You never went to America right?"

"I do," Joy nodded. "Park Sooyoung and yes, I never went to America. I am a Busan girl after all."

"Oh right," Sungjae said. "You're not a Seoul girl. Are you sure though? I don't hear any dialect from you."

"Growing up in Seoul meant mastering your way of speaking," Joy proudly said with a smug look on her face. "But I do speak in dialect when I'm at home."

"So why Joy then? Why pick the name Joy?" 

Joy smiled a bit before looking down. 

"I want to bring happiness to everyone around me. I want everyone I love to be happy. Joy, it's synonymous to happiness you know and happiness would be a silly name," she chuckled. When she realized what she was doing, her face turned red once again before she quickened her pace. 

A small smile formed on Sungjae's lips when he noticed her embarrassment. He expected this to happen. Joy would get comfortable with him, realize she did and then cower away. It was a neverending cycle but he guessed, it would change someday if they keep doing this one-hour thing. 

 

"Your meal looks delicious," Sungjae said when Joy opened her lunch box. She showed him a wide grin and proudly told him her mother cooked for her. 

"Your meal doesn't look half bad, either," Joy said when Sungjae opened his. 

"Thanks for saying that. I cooked it myself," Sungjae said. Joy's eyes widened.

"What? You cook?" 

"Of course I do," Sungjae nodded. "Doesn't everyone here know how to cook? I mean, we're at the age of almost being independent."

Joy pouted before stuffing a spoonful of rice into . 

"I don't know," Joy mumbled," Cooking's never my forte. And my parents are too scared because I might burn my finger or like let boiling oil get into my eye."

"I know you won't be that stupid though," Sungjae chuckled, making Joy's heart skip a beat. 

"I.." Joy shook her head.

Well, I was stupid enough to fall in love with you then drag into this one-hour mess. 

 

After the one hour, Sungjae helped Joy clean up where she ate. 

"Messy eater, aren't we?"

Joy had shut. She was too shy once again. She avoided Sungjae's eyes before nodding. She hurriedly picked up her lunch box and went ahead of Sungjae without saying a word. Sungjae knew he won't be able to catch up to her so he walked comfortably with a smile on his face.

Maybe this won't be that bad.