Nineteenth Hour

Our Time Together

Sungjae didn't know what to do. Actually, he knew it but he couldn't put himself to do it. Okay, this was the situation. The next Monday, after Joy ate in his home, she kept on avoiding him. As to say, it was quite obvious. Though Joy already avoided Sungjae in the past because she was too shy, their circumstances at that time was different. Joy could easily talk to Sungjae so why now? Why did she have to avoid him at that moment? How did he know she was avoiding him? First, when Sungjae went to school, he saw her and she saw him. Instead of waving her hand, she turned her head away with a frown. Second, when Sungjae saw Joy in the hallway, he wanted to say hi but she, again, turned her head away with a frown before walking into her classroom. 

So what was up? 

Sungjae didn't understand girls at all. The way they were so sensitive with small matters was confusing for the young lad. He didn't know why Joy was mad. He wasn't sure why he was that worked up about it but he was. Joshua clearly noticed that when Sungjae kept clenching his fists whenever Joy would pass by their classroom without a single glance for him. 

He knew his only chance to ask her was lunch time, their supposed "contract" or "binding spell" or whatever people call it. As the bell rang, Sungjae immediately went out with his lunch and peeped into Joy's classroom. He saw her reading a book by the window, the sun perfectly illuminating her angelic face. Wait... What? Did Sungjae just call a girl angelic? But he shrugged the idea off. When Joy noticed Sungjae's presence near the door, she groaned. Sungjae was sure something was up but what?

Joy looked like she was just forcing herself to go to Sungjae. She was dragging her feet against the floor, obviously troubled that Sungjae was there. Sungjae wanted to ask what was wrong but whenever he opened his mouth, no words would come out. Maybe he was afraid as to what her response would be. He remembered that earlier that morning, she was with Joshua, talking to him a little bit more serious than usual. Sungjae wondered what they talked about. Maybe that was why Joy was in a foul mood. 

"Mind telling me what's wrong?" Sungjae finally asked. 

"Yes, I do mind," Joy looked away, frowning," So I'd rather not tell."

"Why then? Does it concern me?" he raised an eyebrow. 

"Maybe," she shrugged," You should be a tad more sensitive with your words, Yook Sungjae."

"And what did I say that's making you avoid me? I'm not used to being avoided so suddenly," he continued to ask her. Her eyes met his for a second and he could notice the sadness in them. What did Sungjae say that made Joy like this? He was sure Joy would never tell him. She was like that and Sungjae knew her very well already. He might even know her more than she knew him. 

"I'm sorry," Joy sounded guilty, looking down," I'll be going out with Joshua later. We'll be going to a nearby burger joint."

"Why are you telling me this? I'm not your boyfriend," Sungjae sounded like he forced those words out. 

"You should really be a bit more careful with your words, Sungjae," Joy sounded bitter. She stood up, leaving him still sitting on the chair. "I'm going to leave early. I have a quiz in History. I'll see you later."

After Joy left, Sungjae somehow regretted what he just said. He didn't mean to come off a little colder than usual. He didn't want to hurt Joy at all. He looked down at his food. He didn't feel like eating at all. The only person he ate out with was gone, probably going to Joshua. He felt that painful pang in his chest again. He didn't want Joy to be with Joshua. And he knew he couldn't avoid these feelings anymore soon but he needed to. He prioritized his studies over everything. He didn't want a distraction and he thought Joy was going to be one. 

"If only I knew it was going to be this complicated," Sungjae whistled," I should've said no to her offer."

 

Joy wasn't on her period, if anyone was going to ask. She was just human. She could get tired too. She liked Sungjae. She could even say she loved him. But she did get hurt a couple of times before. All of his indirect rejections pierced into her heart but she pretended it was alright. It was supposed to be alright. She was supposed to be fine with all of that but she wanted to rest. She was growing tired. 

"Are you okay, Joy?" Joshua asked, holding Joy's shoulders," I think you're about to cry."

"I am trying to be," Joy whispered loud enough for Joshua to hear," Can you... Can you keep this a secret from Sungjae? I think I've been such a bother."

"I know Sungjae can be a cruel guy but Joy..."

"Joshua, I appreciate the encouragement but..." She paused for a moment. Joshua pulled her into his arms and hugged her tightly. 

"I'm sure he'll like you. You're a charming little girl, Joy. Someday, someday, surely," Joshua smiled to himself. Joy thought Joshua smelled nice and felt comfortable in his arms. She clutched the back of Joshua's polo shirt and tried to supress her tears. 

"I hope so..." She whimpered.

"He will," Joshua reassured her before letting her go. He smiled at her, trying to make her smile as well," I will make all of that possible. It isn't manly of Sungjae to lead you on. Nobody should lead anyone on."

"I am the one at fault," Joy smiled bitterly," He didn't lead me on. I am hoping for nothing."

"It won't be for nothing," Joshua held her hands," I'll make sure you'll be the happiest woman alive."

Joy felt like Joshua's words meant something else but she turned her head away. She didn't want to think that. She noticed Chorong near them and Chorong noticed Joy's glance. Her eyes widened before she ran away. Joy wanted to run after her, so that Sungjae won't misunderstand anything. But she thought that everything would be useless. Sungjae wouldn't care. He already told her to give up on her. Her chest ached when she tried to imagine how Sungjae would react. 

"Joshua... Can you please leave me alone for now?"