Twenty Third Hour

Our Time Together

Joy stepped back and forth. She looked up then around. She needed time to think, to prepare herself for rejection. Time was ticking fast. She didn't have much time left before graduation. She wanted to break down and cry. Even though Sungjae already told her that she was at his heart's doorstep, even though it sounded like she had hope, she still doubted. She was so used to being hurt and being left behind. 

"I'm just..." She muttered. "Going to write something maybe... Do something to deal with this frustration."

"No one can help you with that," her sister looked at her for a second," But you. And maybe him. But what if you do date him? What about transferring to a university? Could you handle a long distance relationship? Could he handle it?" 

"That's cruel," Joy pouted," I guess, yeah... Maybe I would hurt him more than anything if he does fall in love with me."

"And are you sure he's falling? Sorry if I'm mean, eonni, but you've been fooled by a lot of guys in the past. You tell me he's different but are you so sure of that?" 

"Yes, no, maybe." 

"See?" The younger one shrugged," I hate to break it to you just weeks before your graduation but it might not work out well at all. Even if it doesn't though, I'm sure there's a guy out there fated for you." 

"Thanks," Joy hugged her sister," But I've been struggling for 2 years. A rejection would mean I wasted 2 years."

"Not exactly, this could prepare you for the next guy you'll come to like in college. Be a little positive."

Joy nodded before she decided to relax on her bed. She needed to make a move soon, or tell Sungjae face to face what her resolve was. Maybe she was just too into her feelings. Maybe she didn't think about this thoroughly. But she was Joy. She never thought things through. She always moved according to how she felt. This was too serious of a matter to do that. Because it's not just her heart at stake, there's a chance Sungjae's heart is too.

 

"I decided on something," Sungjae said aloud, making Sunghee look at him. 

"What, oppa?" 

"I'll reject her," Sungjae paused," Properly."

"I thought you liked eonni?" Sunghee tilted her head," Just when I thought you'll get yourself a girlfriend."

"I'll just end up hurting her," he told her," Joy deserves more than I could give her."

"And who are you to judge that?" She completely turned to her brother," She likes you. Maybe she's head over heels for you. She doesn't care what she deserves. She only cares if you have the same feelings as her."

"Even so," Sungjae whistled," It's going to be difficult. A long distance relationship? Will she able to handle that?"

"Ha!" Sunghee laughed," Maybe you'll be the one who can't handle it, oppa. If you think this negatively, don't bother falling in love with her. Oh yeah, too late."

"What's with your attitude?" 

"I just hate seeing a girl wait for nothing, for this long. It's evident that eonni will wait for you for years but," she turned to her assignment again," Just be quick. She'll go to university. She might find another guy who could treat her right, while you're here regretting."

"Why would I regret?"

"Because you didn't tell her how you feel. Eonni's a nice girl. She's bound to get a few guys to have a crush on her. Doesn't Joshua-oppa like her now? He won't be the last guy to do that. But it's your decision if you're going to be the last guy she'll love."

"You won't understand."

"Maybe I don't but still," Sunghee narrowed her eyes at her brother," I'm human, oppa. I can feel how she feels. It's your decision if you'll take my advice or not."

 

The next day, Joy didn't go to Sungjae for lunch, which he thought was odd. 

"If you're going to ask me where Joy is, she's dealing with the papers she needs for a scholarship," Seulgi told him," Do not play with her at this crucial moment, Sungjae. She has her whole life in front of her. I don't want a guy like you to ruin it."

"I won't," Sungjae bit his lower lip," I don't want to ruin her chances. I want her to leave this place with a happy heart."

"What? You're going to date her?" 

Sungjae shrugged before he left Seulgi there to wonder. When Joshua caught Sungjae, he immediately pulled his friend to his side and asked him," What was that? Are you going to date her? Are you sure of your feelings?" 

"I didn't say anything about dating her," Sungjae shrugged once again," I don't want to distract her. She recently passed her entrance exams. Now, she's applying for a scholarship. I don't want to destroy her when she's rebuilding herself."

"Then what? You're going to leave her hanging?" 

"Leave who hanging?" Joy suddenly appeared near the two boys," Sorry, I'm late. I just did some errands."

"No one," Sungjae showed her a bright smile," Want to join us, Joshua?"

"Nah," Joshua slowly walked away," I'll just feel like a third wheel."

"Let's go?" Joy went ahead. Sungjae watched her intently. The slight jump in her step. The way her pony tail goes side to side when she walks. The slight curve on the corner of her lips. The way she looked around the place as if everything was new to her. Slowly, and slowly, Sungjae noticed the small things about her. Like the way she taps her fingers on her lunch box or the way she leans forward whenever she talked to someone. But even so, this was somehow what Sungjae hated. He could notice the way her eyebrows met whenever she slightly smiled sometimes, as if her smiles were forced, or her flushed cheeks in the morning meant she was crying again.

Sungjae knew it was too late. He somehow fell in love with her within a few months. He watched her step forward without him, but he wanted to chase her. His thoughts were battling each other. Would he run towards her and hold her hand during the journey? Or will he watch her silhouette disappear, knowing it was the logical reason? 

"Joy, could we meet up after our last graduation practice?"