Twelfth Hour

Our Time Together

"Protect them? What do you mean, Joy?" Sungjae asked. He knew she might cower away from answering his question. But he was truly curious. Joy never looked like a target of bullying, or anything harmful. Her family's not that rich or powerful to be targetted by the masses. If anything, people were warm to her because that was how she was to other people. He knew he shouldn't judge a book by its cover but there was no flaw with her acting. 

Joy clicked her tongue before looking at him. She showed him a smile and gestured him to come closer. 

"I managed to weave a complicated web around my high school life, Sungjae," she explained. "And I regret doing so, actually. I hurt a lot of people accidentally. And I don't like the feeling. Not at all. I'm not sure how I'll manage this pain, and this pressure of not hurting others. I think I improved, considering the people around me now. But when I was in middle school until my freshman year in high school, you should've seen how rotten I could get."

"That's not important," Sungjae pouted. Joy blinked a few times. She didn't expect Sungjae pouting. "That's the past right? It's done. You can't be afraid of what has passed. It won't harm you. You'll only stop yourself from enjoying life to the fullest if you're scared of hurting someone. Whatever you do, you'll get someone hurt. That's part of life. But it's our choice if we let it control us or not."

Joy forced a smile for him and slowly backed away. She knew Sungjae was right but the past haunted her like a ghost. She regretted everything she did. It was evident to how she acted before. But those actions were done under some kind of pressure. She wasn't plastic. She was frank. But it all backfired. She had no choice but to pretend then. Screw what the others say. One can't survive in that world without pretending. 

"It's my choice..." Joy breathed in. "To let it control me then. As long as no one else gets hurt."

"No one else?" Sungjae raised an eyebrow. "What about you?"

"I'm alright by myself. I can handle this pain somehow. And no one worries about me this way," Joy raised her shoulders. "Since no one knows, well you, but no one else."

"I do."

"You what?" Joy asked. 

"I care. I worry," Sungjae's lips formed a thin line. "I think about you, you don't know. You're my friend, after all. A precious one who I meet everyday, who puts up a facade everyday."

Joy's face burned up and her hands were scattered all over the air in front of her. She panicked with the sudden confession. She was not prepared for Sungjae's words. Sure, they were shallow but they were too much for poor Joy's heart. She was really weak when it was about Sungjae. 

"Come on! Stop that!" Joy finally stopped and stared at him with her cheeks still burning. "You shouldn't say things like that! You should take responsible for this! For this aching chest of mine!" 

Sungjae could only laugh. He knew it would've ended like that. She would like to avoid the topic when it comes to a certain point. And that was it. Sungjae knew he shouldn't pry into her private life even more. It was as hectic and dramatic as the ones he saw on TV. 

"Anyways, let's go? We don't want to be late to our classes, you know," Sungjae stood up. 

"Ah yes," Joy nodded. She was going to use her hands to push her up but she noticed Sungjae reaching out his hand for her. She looked up. "What is this?"

"It's my hand," Sungjae bluntly answered. Joy shook her head. 

"No, that's not what I mean!" Joy's face turned red once again. "I mean, like what are you trying to do?"

"I want to help you up. Hurry. I don't have all day," Sungjae told her. Joy raised one hand of hers but she hesitated on holding his. Sungjae sighed before taking her hand in his and pulling her towards him, resulting to Joy bumping into his chest. 

"What's with that?" Joy growled. "That hurt."

"And so?" Sungjae said as he looked down on her. "You're standing now and that's what's important. As long as you're up and running, even if you get hurt, at least you're standing up."

"Don't lecture me," Joy looked away. She noticed the distance between them but she tried to supress her heartbeat. She was so close to him but she knew he was so far from her reach. Their hands were intertwined but it didn't mean she had a hold on his heart. But she didn't want to think negatively about it. She knew it from the start that Sungjae would never end up liking her back but she wanted to hold on, in case she was wrong and she wanted to be wrong for once. She had until their graduation to make Sungjae fall for her. She hoped a few months was enough time to make him fall. 

Sungjae turned his head away and tugged on Joy's hand. 

"Let's... Let's go," Sungjae whispered. Joy nodded. She looked down since she felt embarrassed. She wondered how Sungjae felt while he was holding her hand. Did he notice they were still holding hands? 

"Umm..." 

"Huh? Oh! Ah yeah," Sungjae slowly loosened his grip on her hand. "I'm sorry. I hope you weren't that uncomfortable."

"You're wrong..." Joy hummed for a bit. "I felt as if my hand's a perfect fit for yours."

"You're really straightforward, aren't you?" Sungjae chuckled. 

"I'll take that as a compliment then."

 

As soon as Sungjae entered the classroom, Chorong immediately approached him. She had a notebook in her hand and asked him to teach her Trigonometry and English. She was a rather weak learner when it came to concepts. She was great at giving explanations but when it came to understanding the concepts, she was at a disadvantage. She was one of the better speakers in her class. Even though Joy never was classmates with Chorong, she acknowledged how greater Chorong was at explaining things. Chorong used to be a student teacher, along with Joy months back and Joy watched a few of her lessons to say she was great at it. 

A reason why Joy was insecure around Chorong. 

"Sure. When do you want me to teach you? I can't right now because---"

"It's fine!" Chorong cut him off. "I know since lunch is over. How about later then? And lunch tomorrow? I don't want to fail in our exams after all!"

"You know Joshua's a better choice for both of those subjects compared to me," Sungjae said. 

"He's a difficult person to deal with. Don't tell him that," Chorong lowered her voice. "I'd rather have you, Sungjae, and aside from that, you're really nice!"

"Alright," Sungjae chuckled. "I will. But... Oh right, I have an appointment during lunch."

"Is it about Joy? She'll understand if you explain to her!" Chorong pleaded. "Please, I need your help to pass."

Sungjae sighed before smiling. 

"Alright then. I'll talk to her first thing tomorrow."