Eighteenth Hour

Our Time Together

Sunghee could only laugh at how pink Sungjae's whole head was. He was completely embarrassed by what Joy said. He was flustered. His chest felt like it was about to explode. He knew Joy was a straightforward person. He knew she was frank but he didn't expect her to be that frank with them. 

"You're so sly," Sungjae whispered to himself, covering his face. "Stop bothering Joy about all these nonsense, Sunghee. About the dating thing, it's only between Joy and me." 

"But eonni doesn't seem to mind about me butting in," Sunghee grinned," If I didn't, there might be no progress." 

"Well, that reminds me," Joy snapped her fingers," Joshua." 

Sungjae's expression changed. Why did she remember Joshua out of all the people she could remember? Why at that moment? He frowned when he heard Joshua's name escape her lips. He didn't know why but it just felt wrong. It was fine when she was telling him about Jong-in, about Jungkook, about Henry, but Joshua? Joshua seemed out of the topic for Sungjae and he didn't know why. Sungjae's still friends with the dude. They're on good terms. Nothing changed between them, well, except for the fact Joshua spent more time with Joy recently. 

Okay, that just made Sungjae's mood even worse. 

"What about him?" Sungjae's tone came off a little too rough which surprised Joy. 

"Why do you sound so angry, Sungjae?" Joy asked," I just said Joshua's name."

"And the fact you were reminded by something of him," he looked like he was sulking," Why not like him instead, Joy?" 

Sunghee knew this was already out of her jurisdiction. She decided to leave her room to the soon-to-be couple and return when things might get a little violent. 

"Are you jealous, Yook Sungjae?" Joy scoffed," I can't like anyone else but you, you know."

"But he'll take care of you better," Sungjae said. "Compared to how I brush you off."

"You can't tell the heart who to love, Sungjae. If you could, I would've given up months ago with this hopeless charades of ours," Joy took a step nearer to Sungjae, her heart beating wildly. "Every hour I spend with you, every minute, every moment, every second, I treasure them all. Sungjae, I don't know who else to love but you. I know this might change in the future. After high school, we'll go our separate ways if you don't come to like me. And I'll find another guy. But the important thing is that I love you now. The present is more important than the future. It'll change the future. And I do hope I can change ours." 

"Why are you so straightforward about this? Aren't you getting embarrassed?" Sungjae held the nape of his neck.

"I am embarrassed," Joy puffed her cheeks," but my passion to say all these, god, that took over. I just want to let you know. I want to reassure you I'm here if ever you'll fall for me. I'll catch you."

"What about Joshua?" Sungjae asked.

"What about him?"

"What reminded you of him? Here?"

"Joshua and I had some stories to share to each other, and some are secret. You'll find out when you date me," Joy forced herself to wink though she failed," See? A limited offer? Date me and get Joshua's secrets for free!" 

"You don't seize to amuse me," Sungjae chuckled.

"I'm here to entertain, Yook Sungjae," Joy bowed with an idol-like smile," As long as I send some giddy feelings into your heart, I'm glad." 

"You should value yourself, you know," Sungjae told her. Joy shrugged. 

"I know I should but I can't," she whispered. Sungjae patted her head, awkwardly smiling. 

"But I do." 

 

"Ooh!" 

Sunghee almost screamed if Jaesung didn't throw a teddy bear at her. Jaesung stared at his sister as if she was insane before lifting a finger to his lips. He gestured for her to shut up. Jaesung couldn't listen to their conversation clearly if Sunghee was noisy. 

"Do you think oppa already likes eonni?" Sunghee asked. Jaesung shrugged. He didn't know about love. He wasn't sure how it felt like. He was only around thirteen so he thought he didn't need it. He wasn't sure what a man in love looked like. Maybe Sunghee knew. She was the smart one after all. Jaesung was the sporty one. 

"He sounds happy though," Jaesung told Sunghee. She snickered before she hugged her brother tightly.

"I wonder if eonni will be oppa's first girlfriend! Oh my, I wonder when he'll realize though," Sunghee said excitedly. 

"He'll realize it a little too late, I think," Jaesung said, stepping nearer to the door," Knowing him, he'll reject the idea of ever liking noona."

"You are correct," Sunghee nodded before sighing," Poor eonni. And there's also Joshua-oppa. Joshua-oppa might steal eonni away from oppa."

"That'll trigger hyung to realize his feelings though," Jaesung pointed out," He'll go crazy with jealousy but I'm not sure. I'm just guessing based on how he's acting."

 

"So, you have a younger sister, Sooyoung?" 

The Yook family were already dining with Joy. They kept asking her about her family and her studies. Mr Yook looked like he wanted to ask why Joy was there but Mrs Yook shot him a look to stop him before he does ask. They didn't bother asking about Sungjae, except when dessert arrived. 

"Miss Park, is it?" Mr Yook cleared his throat," I understand you like my son."

"Uhm..." Joy's eyes widened with the sudden mention. She slowly nodded. There was no point in lying after they fed her after all. "Yes, I do, sir."

"This looks like eonni is courting oppa," Sunghee pouted.

"That's basically the case," Sungjae shrugged," I think. Well, she did confess and she's not giving up on me."

"You know, Sooyoung, that's not ladylike, to court," Mrs Yook pointed out.

"I admit I'm not ladylike," Joy shrugged with a smile,"But being a lady isn't measured by trivial matters like that, right? Well, that's my opinion. A lady can be a lady if she believes she is one. And if we talk about the traditional way of treating a subject like this, Sungjae's not really a gentleman with leading a lady on."

"You're a good speaker," Mr Yook looked pleased," And Sungjae, I've told you numerous times to never lead a woman on."

"Am not!" Sungjae crossed his arms.

"So basically she really does have hope?" Jaesung snickered," Are you saying that you're not leading her on but actually, she really does have hope in dating you, hyung?"

"Wha..?" Sungjae looked flustered," No... I mean, err..."

"Oppa is blushing! Omo!" Sunghee giggled," Eonni, look!"

When Sunghee turned to Joy, she was redder than Sungjae could ever be. She could only chuckle at how innocent the two looked. When Sungjae's eyes met with Joy's, both of them immediately looked away. Mr and Mrs Yook looked at each other and seemed to understand what was happening in front of them. Did their son, their dense and unfeeling son, finally like someone? They never imagined the day would come that Sungjae would bring a girl home, a girl who likes him, and who looked serious about him. It was obvious he was still oblivious for whatever feelings he had for Joy but it was enough that they saw their son blushing because of embarrassment, because of a girl. 

"I... I think I should go home. Thank you for the meal," Joy bowed her head," My dad might want me home by now and I still have a lot to do."

"I'll be taking her to the nearest bus stop," Sungjae stood up. His family stared at him with silly grins on their faces. Lucky for the poor boy, Joy already turned her head away and went to the door. "Don't have any funny ideas, please. And again, she's only a friend."

"Yeah," Sunghee scoffed," A girlfriend."

 

"I'm so sorry for the bother, Sungjae," Joy apologized when it was just the two of them," You were embarrassed because of me and I had to open my big mouth."

"Don't worry," Sungjae shook his head," I actually think dad liked you. Actually, I think everyone did."

"Not everyone," she shook her head before looking up to him," You don't like me."

"I do! I do like you!" 

When Sungjae realized what he said, his face grew red. Joy's face did too. She looked away. She knew Sungjae would say that and she knew how he meant but her heart was overacting. She fished that after all. She just wanted to hear those words from him. 

"I'm... uhh..." Joy went ahead of Sungjae to avoid the awkward feeling," I think I can go alone from here. Thank you for today, Sungjae. My deadline is near and I don't know if I'm having any progress. Will you tell me anything about my grade?"

Sungjae stared at her as if he was trying to comprehend what she said. Yes, she's having a lot of progress. Sungjae just chose to ignore everything because he wanted to concentrate on his studies and family. He only smiled at Joy before shrugging. 

'Maybe you'll get a perfect score by the end of the year.'