Ninth Hour

Our Time Together

"I think it's hopeless, Henry," Joy sighed as she played with Henry's hair. "Chorong is prettier than me. She's nicer. She's better off than me. I wouldn't be surprised if Sungjae picked her over me."

"Here you are again with being overlydramatic, Joy," Henry chuckled. "You know you're pretty too. And you fit Sungjae more compared to that Chorong. She may look like his perfect match for you but if you look at it with my eyes, SungJoy is the best ship here!"

"Best? You mean it, Henry?" Joy raised an eyebrow. Henry nodded with a smile.

"Of course, why would I lie to my dismissal bu--" Henry was cut off by a familiar voice. 

"Joy!" 

Joy paused for a moment, not daring to look at the direction where the voice came from. It was wishful thinking for it to be him but she was sure she couldn't mistake his voice for anyone else's. Henry stared at her with a smile on his face, as if telling her to go to the owner of the voice. 

"Aren't you going to at least look at me?" 

Joy roamed her eyes to see his pants before moving her head up to meet with his eyes. He looked tired, really tired. Maybe because he was running or something. Joy continued on brushing Henry's hair with her hand. She didn't want to say anything so she only smiled at him.

"Are your classes over, Sungjae?" She asked. Henry sat up and tilted his head to the right. 

"Are you dating Chorong, you piece of trash?" 

Henry's question caught the two off guard. Sungjae stared at Henry with widened eyes while Joy hit Henry's back. 

"What kind of question is that, Henry? That's just stupid!" Joy awkwardly laughed. 

"Well, it's not really stupid," Sungjae commented, making Joy look at him. 

"What do you mean, Sungjae?" Joy asked. "Are you dating Chorong?" 

Sungjae smiled at her before putting his hands on her head. He slowly patted her head for a few minutes before Henry sat up.

"I think you two need some privacy so I'll go on right ahead," Henry said. "I'll see you in class tomorrow, Joy." 

And with that, the pair were left alone. Joy looked down before looking up to Sungjae. He looked like he cared for her. He looked like he regretted snapping at her like that. But it was only wishful thinking. Joy wished Sungjae cared for her more than a friend. 

"So?" Joy whistled. 

"I'm not dating Chorong," Sungjae said before sitting beside her. "I'm not even sure if Chorong likes me."

"And if she does?" Joy played with her skirt. "What if you were her type, Sungjae?" 

Sungjae shrugged, inching closer to Joy. 

"I wouldn't know until it happens," Sungjae answered. "You know I don't think about this type of matters."

"Oh right," Joy inwardly smiled. "Thank god."

"Did you say something?" Sungjae turned his head to her with a raised eyebrow.

Joy looked back at him and stared in his eyes. She really saw the world in his eyes. He was her galaxy. She was lost in him. She didn't care about anything now that he was with her. She knew it was selfish, ignorant for her to wish for something more. But she did. It was foolish. It was childish and risky.

"Nothing," Joy smiled at him. She was ready to take risks if it was him.

 

The two talked more and more, even though the sun was setting. They only left their place when the guard told them to leave. Sungjae offered taking Joy home but she declined. Sungjae insisted but she rejected her offer. She reminded him of his siblings and the fact Joy had strict parents. It was better if they seperated by the school's gate.

Joy felt butterflies in her stomach as she turned her back against Sungjae's. She walked without looking back, a grin remaining on her face. Her heart pounded like crazy. Her face was as red as an apple. She was getting all giddy inside, because of one boy. She was so proud of herself. She was getting closer and closer to Sungjae. Her heart was filled with excitement, with hope. Finally, she might get the happily ever after she always wanted. 

She stopped by the front of her house's gate and stared at the cold building. It had two floors, and looked finer than most of the houses on their street. But it felt so empty staring at it from there. The excitement in her heart was replaced with gloom. She opened the gate and closed it behind her. She approached the door and heard her parents arguing from upstairs. She sighed before opening the door. Everything was quiet except for the contradicting words from her parents' room. 

She removed her shoes before going upstairs to her room. She opened the door and saw her sister sleeping on their desk. She shrugged before opening the closet and grabbing a blanket. She carefully put the blanket on her sister's shoulders and threw her own belongings on her bed. She sighed before lying down.

"This place just feels so empty," Joy closed her eyes. "Emotionless, hopeless, and I fit right in." 

She opened them again and imagined Sungjae's smile. She managed to open up to him about several things going around her life. She told him about her strict parents and her perfect sister. She told him how she saw herself. He let her cry in his arms. And it was the warmest moment Joy had in her life. She was so used to pretending she was "Joy" that she forgot she was Sooyoung. 

"You are my moon and my stars, you save me from being consumed by the darkness," Joy smiled to herself. "Thank you, Sungjae."

 

Sungjae was tackled by his younger brother once he stepped into their home. He smiled and ruffled Jaesung's hair. 

"Where's Sunghee?" Sungjae asked. Jaesung pointed upstairs before telling Sungjae that Sunghee was studying.

"Really, that girl," Sungjae laughed. "Anyways, are you hungry, Jaesung?"

"Very!" Jaesung answered. "I waited until you could get here, hyung! Why did you arrive so late?"

"Just..." Sungjae smiled. "School stuff, you know?"

"Whatever," Jaesung crossed his arms with a pout. "Just cook me food already, hyung! I think noona's hungry too!"

"Just wait, little guy," Sungjae went into the kitchen. "I'll prepare you the best dinner a Yook could cook!"