Fifteenth Hour

Our Time Together

Joy was as nervous as the time she first talked to Sungjae. She didn't expect him to approach her. She expected him to be in his classroom, tutoring Chorong. Sungjae was holding her wrist rather tightly, as if he was afraid she might run. Which she would if he let her go. She stared at the outline of Sungjae's back. It wasn't that manly, usually, but at that moment, it looked so wide, as if it was a shield against all bad things Joy had in her world. 

Joy wanted to ask why Sungjae suddenly abducted her from Wendy. But she was afraid of what the reason was. Was he there to cut her off? Was he there to tell her that he was too busy to mind her? She was afraid. As they approached their school's library, his grip slowly loosened. When Joy realized they were all alone at that part of the school, Sungjae turned to her. 

"Err..." The seriousness Sungjae showed at first disappeared when he showed an awkward smile. He scratched the nape of his neck before looking at Joy," I'm sorry for suddenly dragging you like this."

"It's alright...uhh," Joy bit her lower lip. She still felt nervous. She lightly touched the wrist Sungjae was holding on," It's a pleasure to be dragged like this by the person you like. It's like a drama or something."

"Yeah, you're right," Sungjae laughed," Anyways, I have a question."

"A question?" Joy raised an eyebrow," You know I'm useless when it comes to schoolwork, Sungjae. And you could've asked me in front of Wendy."

"No, it's not related to school, well, a little," Sungjae didn't know how to explain himself," It's related to school in a way, about social life in school... err..."

Joy tilted her head. Sungjae usually didn't have trouble with his words. He could easily talk about anything he wanted. That's what Joy observed. But on the other hand, Sungjae knew he was useless with feelings of the people around him. He was dense. He didn't have much experience when it came to girls. Sure, girls liked him and he usually didn't know that. He surrounded himself with guys so that he would avoid the drama. But Joy wasn't the type to be easily avoided. 

"Then what is it?" Joy asked," I'll try to answer it the best I can."

"I can't read Joshua well," Sungjae told her but he noticed how she flinched," And I was surprised to see you two together."

"He approached me, I had no choice but to entertain him. And Joshua's a nice person, I think," Joy said," So what about it?"

"Did Joshua tell you any strange things?" Sungjae asked.

"Strange?" Joy thought for a moment. Actually, she enjoyed talking to Joshua, though it felt unnatural for him to talk to her. If there was anything strange, it was the conversation itself. But for some reason, she couldn't tell Sungjae about what they talked about or if there was anything strange. It felt like she was supposed to be quiet about that. And without Joshua's permission, she couldn't tell Sungjae about anything.

"So, Joy?" 

"Oh, ah," Joy shook her head," No, there's nothing strange. Actually, he was very kind to me. I was always curious on how he was since I've known him since I was in middle school but we never met as classmates."

"Do you like him then?" Sungjae asked.

"Yeah," Joy answered without any hesitation," He's a nice guy. Not as nice as I hoped to be, but I like how joking and cruel he is at the same time. You wouldn't really understand but I think we're alike in a lot of ways."

"Don't talk to him again," Sungjae looked away as he said that," How shameless, Joy."

"Wha--? Why?" Joy paused a moment before she realized what was happening," Sungjae, are you jealous?"

"Jealous? Get off my case," Sungjae couldn't take looking at her. She might have a teasing smile on her face, just like Joshua did. "Why would I be jealous?"

"Are my plans succeeding? Did I have any progress? I often ask that to myself. Should I give up on Yook Sungjae? He looks like he would never like me the way I like him," Joy confessed," so could you let me have a little happiness knowing you're jealous of Joshua?"

"I don't want you to have any false hopes, Joy," Sungjae inhaled," I am not jealous."

The words seemed a little forced so Joy didn't believe him. Let her have her own little fantasies. Let her think that Sungjae was jealous. So that was Joshua's plan, to make Sungjae jealous, for him to realize a lot of things happening. Maybe everything was a little too fast for Sungjae to handle but Joy wanted to make it faster, she wanted him to fall for her somehow. She had limited time. She only had until graduation to have Sungjae fall for her.

"Then let it be," Joy shrugged before turning her back," If you won't tell me why you don't want me to talk to Joshua, then I won't follow what you said."

"Please," Sungjae pleaded," Okay, I feel a pang in my chest, okay? Like, you're not supposed with him or something."

"That I'm supposed to be with you?" Joy turned her head to him with a teasing smile," So you're jealous."

"Am not!" Sungjae lost his cool for a second," I mean, Joy, you know how I am. I have a bad feeling if you continue this friendship with Joshua."

"If you have a bad feeling then why are you still friends with someone like that?" She laughed," You're contradicting yourself."

"Maybe I am," Sungjae looked down," I don't really care. So, does this mean you'll still talk to him?"

"Yeah," she nodded," Does this affect our relationship that much, Sungjae? Does this stop you from falling for me? You know how naturally close I am with guys, except for you."

"It..." Sungjae couldn't say yes because he knew he wasn't sure of the answer. Yes, it did affect their relationship but for some reason, the second question was a mystery for Sungjae himself. He felt a pang in his chest when he saw Joy smile at Joshua. But he didn't want it to be jealousy. He knew it wasn't jealousy. But how sure was he? He never fell in love before. Everything was new to him. For Sungjae, it was impossible for him to fall in love. And he still believed that. He should believe in that to continue living every day without guilt. 

But Joy knew better. Sungjae was jealous of Joshua and she knew he was at the edge of the cliff, one push away from falling in love with her without him realizing it.