Twentieth Hour

Our Time Together

"Sungjae, I saw Joshua hug Joy. Aren't you going to do anything?"

Chorong asked. Sungjae stared at nothing. She didn't like seeing him that way but ever since he returned to their classroom, Sungjae had been as lifeless as a corpse. Sungjae did flinch when he heard Joy's name but that was the most he did. Chorong was worried. Sure, she preferred that Sungjae would get hurt because of Joy. That would mean she stood a chance to be loved by him. But if Sungjae looked as dead as this, as lifeless as this, she preferred to be hurt. She only wanted Sungjae's happiness and if it meant he would end up with Joy, she would like that more. 

"Yook Sungjae, are you that dense? Can't you see you're getting hurt already because of your own ignorance?" Chorong suddenly raised her voice. "I swear, Yook Sungjae, I was thankful that you were this dense but you're getting hurt already! You see Joshua right? He's having more progress than you! He understands Joy more because he accepts whatever or however he feels for the girl but her heart is already served on a silver platter for you and you just ignore her. What kind of logic do you have?"

Sungjae looked surprise when Chorong shouted at him. Everyone in the classroom did the same. There was an awkward silence looming after she finished her sermon. Chorong realized how loud her voice was before stepping back and covering . She whispered an apology before smiling at Sungjae. At that exact moment, Joshua entered the classroom. He was confused as to why they were all quiet and staring at him. 

"What... happened here?" Joshua finally asked. Chorong rolled her eyes before approaching Joshua. 

"What are you planning?" she asked," If your plan was to trigger Sungjae, it's working."

"Why would you think that?" he smiled at her innocently," It was my initial plan but actually, Joy draws me in."

"Don't play around with her," Sungjae said when he approached the pair," Joy's too innocent, too pure to be played around by you, my friend."

"You tell me not to play around with her but what are you doing, Yook Sungjae?" Joshua sounded condescending," Joy's hurt because of you. I respect you, Sungjae, I do. It's bros before hoes. But it was my first time to see that facial expression from Joy. She's getting tired, man. She'll give up on you if you don't do anything to solve it."

"What am I supposed to do then?" Sungjae asked him," I'm not supposed to fall in love with her. I'm not supposed to make her hope for anything. I'm in the middle."

"You're not supposed to fall in love but you did, right?" Chorong sounded hurt," It's never wrong to fall in love, Sungjae."

 

Sungjae wanted to talk to her as soon as dismissal time arrived. He immediately rushed out of the classroom to catch up to her. But before he reached Joy's classroom, Wendy blocked his way. She glared at him as if he was the one who stole her fictional boyfriends away. 

"You're Joy's bestfriend right?" Sungjae asked, not really remembering who Wendy was," Excuse me but I have to--"

"Up, up, lover boy," Wendy crossed her arms," I swear, Yook Sungjae, you may not remember me but I'll be your worst nightmare if I see my bestfriend cry. Actually, you can make her cry as long as you don't lead her on."

"That's why I need to talk to her," Sungjae reasoned. When he saw Joy leave her classroom, he gently pushed Wendy away and ran towards her. When Joy noticed Sungjae, she ran away, out of instinct she guessed. 

"Joy, could you--?" Sungjae panted but Joy continued to run. She wasn't ready to face him just yet and the fact he's chasing her made her scared. "Joy, you know very well that I'm not that athletic!"

"Me too but you don't see me panting!" Joy shouted back," Sungjae, god, could you please leave me alone? I want to think! Aside from that, I was supposed to eat out with Joshua!"

"I'm your priority, right? You like me, right?" Sungjae asked. Joy suddenly stopped running before facing him. She tilted her head to the left. With her pause, Sungjae also stopped running. They had a distance between them but it wasn't too far.

"Why do you doubt that I like you, Sungjae? If I didn't, I would've moved on and went along with Joshua's plans but I do. But I should start thinking that you aren't my priority, Sungjae. I want to take care of myself," Joy breathed in," You shouldn't be a priority. I prioritize people who prioritize me. But I'm just a bother, right? For you, I'm just a parasite."

"You know that isn't true, Joy," Sungjae firmly said," I never said that you were a pest. I genuinely like spending time with you. Your animated gestures, your energetic way of telling me stories, your funny facial expressions, every little part of you is amusing. And I do... It might not be obvious but I do prioritize you, over our other female batchmates. You have a reserved spot in my mind and I'm not sure how to deal with it. I am sorry I'm such a difficult guy to like."

"When I first liked you, I already knew you were a difficult guy to like. You're nice to everyone. You're so dense, so innocent and you aren't interested in a realtionship. But the heart wants what it wants and mine wants you. I hate that I can't do anything about it," Joy looked down, clutching her fists. "I want to stop myself from this craziness, because as time passes by, I realize that an 'us' is impossible. I realize that I can't have you though I want you so badly. I want to push you away but you're such a sweet temptation than I can't."

"You have no clue how much progress you're having though," Sungjae suddenly said. When he realized what he said, he covered his mouth. "I mean, Joy..."

"Then tell me how much progress I have," Joy demanded," Tell me now, Yook Sungjae. Do I really have progress? Have I really somehow entered your heart?"

"Joy... I think," Sungjae paused. "I think you're already at its doorstep."