Thirteenth Hour

Our Time Together

"I have to teach Chorong about the lessons she's having trouble with so I can't meet with you that often for now. I thought you would understand if I tell you first thing in the morning."

"I... I do... Uhh, good luck with teaching her then. I hope she absorbs all of the knowledge you give her."

Joy cursed herself for agreeing too easily. She knew she couldn't say no but she could've at least argued with him. Why can't Chorong be tutored by other students? Or why did it have to be during lunch? Isn't she free during dismissal? Joy clicked her tongue as she glared at the whiteboard. Her friends who were seated near her were all confused since she went into the classroom. She didn't talk to her friends as much as she always did. She silently procrastinated the assignments she didn't do alone. 

Now, that was rare.

Since Joy usually copies from her friends or asks help from them about the assignment.

They all knew something was up with Sungjae since he was the last person she was with. And also the first person she was with during the morning of that day was him. Yeri nudged Seulgi and gave her a look. Irene, on the other hand, was passing a note to Joy. She expected her to answer, because she usually answers but Joy only crumpled the piece of paper and threw it into her bag. Irene scowled at Joy before putting her attention back to whatever she was writing on her desk. 

Joy didn't even participate in their recitation during English. She would usually burst into excitement and anticipation but she was as gloomy as she could ever be. Maybe even gloomier. Once their recess started, Seulgi slammed a book against Joy's desk, making her shoulders jump in shock. She blinked a few times, staring at the book before looking up to Seulgi. Soon after that, Yeri and Irene approached her with worried faces. Well, Irene looked more pissed than worried. 

"What's with that? You ignored me," Irene sulked. Yeri shook her head with a smile.

"That's the least of Joy's problems," Yeri turned to Joy," so now, who's the most of your problems?"

"Let me guess," Seulgi paused for a second and pretended to think," Sungjae?"

"Shut up," Joy glared at her," This is just a silly reason to sulk. Seriously, I am just useless and--" 

Joy sighed before shaking her head. 

"Stupid reasons really," Joy tried reassuring her friends. 

"We know you're stupid, Joy. We've accepted that since we became friends with you," Irene sharply said before smiling," so whatever reason it is, we want to know. We hate it when our happy virus isn't as happy as she usually is after all."

"Wow, you're worrying about me. That is disgusting," Joy joked before laughing. "I'm fine. Really. I just need to get over childish worries."

"Childish? Why won't you just tell us," Seulgi pouted. "So it's really about Sungjae?"

Joy slowly nodded, before telling them about Sungjae tutoring Chorong. She also added that it was silly of her to be jealous since Sungjae didn't have any motive for teaching Chorong but to let her learn from him. Irene told her frankly about the rumour going around that Chorong liked Sungjae. Joy could only shrug. 

"As long as Sungjae doesn't like her in any way, I'm good," Joy took a breath in. "If ever Chorong does like him, well, it doesn't mean they'll date."

 

"Do you get it now, Chorong?" Sungjae asked before he looked at Chorong. She avoided eye-contact with Sungjae and nodded absentmindedly. Sungjae sighed before closing his notebook.

"This'll be useless if you don't learn anything from me. If you want, I'll ask Joshua for you," Sungjae told her. Chorong held Sungjae's thigh and shook her head.

"I'm so sorry... I didn't mean to be distracted..." Chorong apologized. "I'll be serious. I promise."

"You promise?" Sungjae raised an eyebrow. "What's getting you so distracted anyway?"

"Nothing," Chorong shook her head before smiling at him," I swear. It's nothing."

"Oh?" He chuckled. "You remind me of someone."

"Who?" Chorong asked. Sungjae shook his head with a teasing smile on his face. He raised a finger to his lips, obviously gesturing it was a secret of his. Chorong sighed. She had a guess but she didn't want to confirm it. She felt jealous. If Sungjae was really thinking of Joy at that moment, what can she do? Chorong thought she had the advantage because she was classmates with Sungjae but Joy was cunning enough to snatch Sungjae from her. This was Chorong's only way to get Sungjae back to her. She was desperate to have Sungjae to herself. 

"Anyways," Sungjae pointed at the text on the notebook," I'm really weak in English, oh god, I need help in this."

"It's alright. At least you pass," Chorong frowned," The grammar is too confusing for me."

"Right! What were the English thinking?" Sungjae sighed. "Anyways, this 'who' is used as the subject, substituting the noun. It makes the statement into a question." Sungjae continued explaining the matter to Chorong. She couldn't help her heart beating fast. She was really in love with Sungjae. She can't help it. Sungjae looks attractive and is a nice person. He's really gentle and a great person to talk to. He was also quite intelligent. She wondered why only a few girls liked him. And he had no clue he had girls liking him, aside from Joy. 

"Who do you like?" Chorong asked in English. Sungjae nodded. 

"That's how it's used!" Sungjae clapped with a childish grin on his face. 

"No, Sungjae," Chorong shook her head. She repeated the question in Korean. 

"Yook Sungjae, who do you like?"

 

Joy passed by Sungjae's classroom when lunch break arrived. It was a habit, she guessed. She twitched when she saw Sungjae and Chorong talking to each other. She hated it. She admitted how much she detested the idea of Sungjae spending time with another woman. She wanted Sungjae all to herself. But she had no right to feel that way. She wasn't dating Sungjae. Heck, Sungjae doesn't even like her back. She didn't notice she was already staring at him before Joshua bumped into her. 

"I'm so sorry," Joy bowed. Joshua raised an eyebrow at her before smiling. 

"Joy, right?" Joshua asked. Joy nodded. 

"Joshua?" 

"Correct-o-mundo," Joshua nodded with a smile still on his face. "Ma'am Lee told me to give you back your marker. Could you wait for me here?"

"Ah, sure," Joy smiled back," I almost forgotten about that. Thanks for reminding me."

"No need to thank me. When I bumped into you, that's when I suddenly remembered," Joshua chuckled. "Just a minute, Joy."

Joshua roamed his eyes and noticed Sungjae staring at them. Joshua smirked to himself. Seems like someone's envious of him. Joshua quickly went to his bag and opened it up. He shuffled through his things and finally found the marker he was trying to find. Joshua first called Sungjae and smiled at him teasingly. 

"Do you want to return this to her instead of me?" Joshua asked. Sungjae frowned before shaking his head. 

"You see I'm tutoring Chorong here," he told his friend. Joshua shrugged before skipping towards the door. Joy smiled when she finally took hold of her marker. 

"Ah, Joy," Joshua called to her once again. Joy raised an eyebrow. 

"What is it, Joshua?" Joy asked. Joshua shrugged before stepping nearer to her. 

"Want to eat lunch with me now instead of Sungjae?"