Sixteenth Hour

Our Time Together

After Sungjae confronted Joy about her encounter with Joshua, he couldn't stop thinking about her. He wasn't sure why but something bothered him. The fact Joshua approached Joy was strange itself but Joshua had been implying that he liked Joy the way Joy liked Sungjae. Sungjae was just worried about Joy's welfare, nothing more. He saw Joy as a precious friend, well, all of his friends were precious to him. Aside from that, he felt responsible for her. She supposedly surrendered herself to him after all. 

"What's bothering you, oppa?" Sunghee raised her head when she noticed her brother pacing back and forth in the living room. The young lady was doing her homework there, as usual. Sungjae was usually in his room anyway so Sunghee thought it was odd for her brother to be out there and not on the computer. 

"A lot," Sungjae answered," Well, it only concerns a few people but everything's bothering me about them."

"Who?" Sunghee raised an eyebrow. "Is it eonni? That eonni who likes you?"

"You still remember her?" Sungjae sounded surprised. It had been a few weeks since he talked about her after all because everything concerning Joy was smooth sailing before Joshua approached her. 

"How can I forget?" Sunghee laughed," She's like the second girl who confessed to you. And she sounds pretty stubborn about dating you. And I saw her before! She's really pretty, oppa."

"You don't agree to date people just because they look good, Sunghee. I don't go that way. Aside from that," he paused," You and Jaesung are my priorities, not my love life. And I should finish studying before thinking about things like that. I plan to go to university after all."

"That doesn't mean you shouldn't enjoy yourself," she shook her head before smiling," So what's the deal with eonni?"

"Joshua's been sticking to her like glue. They were never classmates to begin with. How can they be so close? She hasn't been pestering me to go with her during lunch and I've seen them talking happily whenever both classes have no teacher. I mean, aren't I the person she likes? Shouldn't I be the one she's talking to?" Sungjae complained. 

"Oppa, oppa, isn't that jealousy?"

"Jealousy? Sunghee, not you too," he sighed," Every person I've told about this says that but it's not jealousy. Trust me. I would know."

"Oppa, you wouldn't know," she snickered," I'm sure of it. You're rather dense about this, oppa."

"I am not, Sunghee. And what makes you know better?" 

"I'm a girl, oppa. We mature faster than you boys," she proudly said," Though I don't like anyone, I know the symptoms of jealousy and you got them, oppa."

"I am not jealous of Joshua," Sungjae almost screamed but Sunghee could only laugh.

"Whatever you say, oppa," she rolled her eyes before looking down on her assignment," Whatever you say."

 

Joy tied her hair back before opening the textbook in front of her. Her sister was seated behind her, facing the wall opposite to the wall Joy was facing. They were both studying for their upcoming exams. Though Joy didn't study that much before, she hated thinking about it, she wanted to work harder. She had Sungjae watching her for once. She wanted to somehow put in some effort. 

"Hey, eonni, I've heard about sunbaenim," her sister suddenly talked.

"Who? Sungjae?" Joy asked. Her sister nodded. 

"You know your classmates know me so I have trusted sources," she said. Joy snickered. 

"So what did you hear, Soohyun?" Joy asked," Any bad things?"

"Not really," Suhyun shrugged," As long as you're studying harder than before, I'm okay with him. But if he hurts you..."

"I know, I know. You're really the best younger sister a girl could have, Suhyun. If only our parents avoided comparing me to you..." Joy's voice slowly faded away. Suhyun turned to the older and hugged her from behind. 

"Don't listen to them about that. I wouldn't be here without you, eonni," Suhyun encouraged her," You taught me everything I know. While our parents were busy, you kept me company. How can I ask for more if I have the best eonni in the world?"

"Yeah," Joy showed a small smile," I've never told Sungjae about you though. I was always vague."

"Well, you could you know. You don't need my permission," Suhyun told Joy," It's better if he knows more than the usual bystander."

"Aigooo," Joy hugged Suhyun back," I'm so sorry I can't love you more than I already do. Something's stopping me."

"It's fine, eonni," Suhyun chuckled," As long as we agree on never leaving each other's side, I'm fine."

 

Sungjae thought twice about going to Joy's classroom during their dismissal. First of all, because Joshua had been visiting her room as if he was her boyfriend. Second, their last encounter aside from the agreement during lunch was when Joy told Sungjae he was jealous. Lastly, he couldn't make up his own mind. He felt weird whenever he saw Joy. He never felt that feeling before but he always chose to ignore it. It escalated and escalated until he couldn't control it anymore. 

"Hey, Sungjae," Hyuk called out to him before pointing at their room's door," I see a familiar face."

Sungjae turned his head to the door and saw Joy. But she wasn't alone. She had Henry beside her and she was looking up to Joshua with a smile on her face. She seemed to enjoy the two men's company but Sungjae frowned instead of feeling happy for her. He looked at Hyuk before crossing his arms. Hyuk shook his head and didn't try to stop Sungjae from approaching Joy. 

"Oh, Sungjae," Joshua mused," I was just talking to Joy here about you."

"Hi, Sungjae," Joy showed him a smile, somehow different to the smile she showed Joshua. 

"Yo," Henry greeted. He elbowed Joy before winking at Joshua, a signal to provoke Sungjae a little bit more than necessary. 

"Joy, do you want to go eat outside with me later? I know a nice burger place which has cheap prices,"  Joshua asked. Joy stared at him for a minute before nodding. Her face was just full of innocence. 

"No, she won't," Sungjae frowned before reaching out to Joy's wrist," She's... She's coming with me." 

"With you?" Joshua raised an eyebrow," And where to?" 

Joy bit her lower lip, looking down. She felt nervous. She managed to understand why Joshua asked her out but Sungjae's touch was too much for a young girl's heart. 

"I'm... to..." 

"To our house," a familiar voice said. They all looking behind Joy and Henry and saw Sunghee there. They were all confused, especially Sungjae. 

"Shocked? I hope so," Sunghee chuckled," Eomma's here to fetch you, oppa. I'm sure she wouldn't mind having eonni join us for dinner."