Eleventh Hour

Our Time Together

"So," Sungjae started as they walked towards their usual spot, "do you feel better?"

"Didn't I answer that question this morning?" Joy puffed her cheeks before crossing her arms. "I'm fine."

"I'm going to take your word for it," Sungjae looked up to the sky. "Since I'm not sure if you're lying or not. I trust that you aren't."

"What could I benefit from lying to you? If I plan on making you fall in love with me, I should show who I really am," Joy suddenly stopped walking when she realized what she said. Sungjae looked back at her when he noticed she quieted down. Her face was super red, like a ripe tomato, and she looked shy. Sungjae could only chuckle as a response. 

"You're really funny, Joy," Sungjae said, gesturing her to come forward and she did. "Saying bold things then cowering away. You are such a unique character."

"It seems like you only plan on playing with me," Joy frowned. "Well, not really complaining with that though. As long as I'm with you."

Sungjae rolled her eyes before ruffling her hair. It seemed like Sungjae wanted to say something but he chose not to. 

'You should put a little bit of confidence in yourself. You shouldn't let anyone take advantage of you. Aish, idiotic Joy,' Sungjae thought. He thought that Joy had a lot of potential in her but she was such a martyr. She didn't know how to protect herself or who to trust. Sungjae thought of Wendy and Seulgi but he was sure Joy never wanted them to worry about her. 

 

"What do you even like about me?" Sungjae asked," I'm not that great of a guy. Jungkook would be a better choice, in my opinion. Heck, even Taehyung's a better guy than me. I've tried all my life in this school to be invisible and to think, someone as flashy as you noticed me."

"Am I flashy?" Joy raised an eyebrow," Am I really flashy? I never really thought I was. I tried blending into the crowd, to be honest. You know, I want to avoid those judging stares. But I guess," Joy looked down," it's too late."

"Too late?" Sungjae looked up. "It's never too late. Aside from that, why would you care about what they say? What's important is the fact that you still have friends despite how judged you are. I envy you sometimes."

"What's there to envy?" Joy chuckled," I'm messed up. My social anxiety consumes me. My family prefers my sister. I'm hopelessly in love with you. What's there to envy?"

"Don't say hopelessly in love, geez," Sungjae laughed. When he pointed that out though, Joy's face turned red. She shook her head, telling him to forget that bit. But he told her that that would be impossible to forget and thanked her for the confidence boost.

"So what's there to envy, Sungjae? Don't leave me hanging," Joy repeated her question. Sungjae stared at her for a second and smiled. The young lady couldn't stop her heart racing because of his gaze. She wanted to ask why he was staring but every time she opened , no words would come out. She felt too embarrassed. And her chest ached, maybe because she was too in love Sungjae already. 

"Your..." Sungjae's voice trailed off. When he realized he was staring, he shook his head before flashing another one of his heart-melting, well for Joy, smiles. "I envy how strong you are, Joy. Or is it Sooyoung?" 

Joy shot a glare at Sungjae before pouting. 

"Why do you keep calling me Sooyoung, huh? You're the only one who calls me that here. Even Wendy doesn't call me that."

"Why? Sooyoung's a pretty name," Sungjae smiled at her before muttering to himself," for a pretty girl."

"Huh?" Joy tilted her head to the right," Did you say something, Sungjae?"

"No, nothing," Sungjae shook his head. "So, do you have any questions about me? Since you opened up to me last night, it's only fair for me to share something about myself too."

When Sungjae mentioned last night, Joy didn't know how to react. But when she let him finish what he was saying, she sighed in relief. She wasn't sure what to ask about him though. Sungjae was surrounded with mystery. Since he tried his all to be invisible, only a few people knew about his personal life. Unknown to Joy though, Sungjae thought the same thing about her. Joy was surrounded with mystery even though she was one of the more popular students in their batch. 

"Why do you want to be invisible though? Most of our generation beg to be seen," Joy asked," even I want a little attention."

"I'm used to being this figure you'd just pass by. Ever since I was young, I try to be kind to everyone so anyone could easily approach me. I try to give off that easy to approach vibe. If, per say, I'd want that attention others seek, that wouldn't really be easy since people would think of my reputation first of all," Sungjae continued," and it'll be troublesome to keep up an image. That's how you keep up the attention right? You have this own persona who's really a stranger to you."

"That's not entirely the case though, Sungjae," Joy defended herself," Both Joy and Sooyoung are parts of me. Both of them make me who I am. I did not create Joy out of the want for attention. Actually, attention's a little pricey."

"You created Joy out of your own protection. Because, you think, she'll protect you from the blades of reality," Sungjae stated, without thinking about it. Joy looked down before shaking her head. 

"I think I've finally found where you're wrong about me, Sungjae," she said before lifting her eyes to meet his," I created her to protect the people I care about from reality. I don't have a care what might happen to me. I might die tomorrow and I would gladly accept it. But my friends? I'd die protecting them. I'm sure of it." 

 

"Look at that pest. Everyone already knows she likes Sungjae a little too much, she's already rubbing it in."

Seulgi turned her head to see a few of her batchmates talking about Joy. They were all on the 3rd floor of their school, looking down at where Sungjae and Joy were eating their lunch. Seulgi raised an eyebrow before returning her gaze to her friend. She knew Joy was a subject to psychological bullying in their school but Joy always smiled at her so she assumed those students never pestered her again. She guessed she was wrong. They were doing it secretly. They were basically stabbing Joy's back. Maybe Joy knew or she didn't. Seulgi might never know. She lingered in her place for a little longer, pretending to study for an upcoming test.

"And she knows Chorong likes Sungjae too! She's just showing off," one of them clicked her tongue. Seulgi knew that voice anywhere. She used to be part of Seulgi and Joy's clique but she distanced herself during their sophomore year. Seulgi never understood why and Joy always avoided talking about her. 

"Taeyeon, aren't you a little harsh on her?" Another one of the trio, Krystal Jung, asked," Joy's a kind girl, you know."

"You don't know her like I do, Krystal," Kim Taeyeon rolled her eyes," she makes me barf. I'd rather have Chorong be with Sungjae. They look better together than that , Joy."

"Taeyeon's correct, Krystal," the first person Seulgi heard, Son Naeun, said, resting her back against a post," There's a side to Joy you have no clue about. Maybe because you never talked to her personally."

"I did, a couple of times actually. We worked with each other because of schoolwork, and she's actually a very kind person," Krystal defended herself but Taeyeon shot her a glare. Taeyeon puckered her lips before biting the lower lip. 

"If you never let yourself near the devil, you'll never understand our point of view. After all, you'll only recoil in fear of being burnt only after you touch the hot kettle," Taeyeon said before sparing another glance at the pair. "You'll get your just desserts, Park Sooyoung. You never knew how much pain you put me through after our freshman year."

Seulgi chuckled to herself in amusement. Who knew her best friend's life will be compared to K-dramas? She knew it wasn't wise to act on impulse at that moment. Joy hated it when people dwell in her matters. Seulgi will help if Joy asked her to. And she will never tell her what she heard. It was for the better. Or else, she'll do her dark addiction again.

And Seulgi never wanted that. 


A/N

Hi, guys! Thanks for the support even though I always write in the heat of the moment and I actually didn't plan out the plot. I know how I'll end this someday but I'm not sure how I would want it to reach that way. I know what might happen in the future and what to reveal, not sure how. HAHAHAHA. Struggles. Anyways, thanks for the support and I hope you'll continue shipping SungJoy tho WGM's done with 'em. ALSO if you have a guess what Joy did in the past to Taeyeon or what Joy's dark addiction, comment down! I love reading your comments! They sometimes give me new ideas to improve this fic! Anyways, love you guys! Be healthy, okay? <3