Twenty Second Hour

Our Time Together

Days went on as they always did. Finals was just right around the corner. A lot of things changed, and that included Sungjae's feelings. He didn't know what to call them. He wasn't sure if it was love. He just didn't like it when Joy was with Joshua. He hated thinking of the possibility of Joy liking another man. Sungjae didn't know it was love. But maybe ignorance was the better choice than realizing it. 

"Sungjae," Joy smiled at him. Her smile seemed to tell him that everything was in place. "It'll only be like," she paused," a month or so before this all ends. I told you I'll be going to a university after this." 

"Yeah," he nodded," I'll study in a public college near here after our graduation."

"What I mean is," Joy bit her lower lip. "We won't see each other anymore. I'll be studying in a university far from here." 

"Your parents let you go to Ehwa?" Sungjae asked," Congratulations." 

Joy nodded. "It took a lot of convincing. I'll go home right after school and I'll leave our house when everyone's asleep, but at least I'll go to my choice of a university." 

"What'll you take?" 

"That's not the topic right now, Sungjae," her voice sounded a little stern," We only have a few weeks, like 3 weeks before we graduate. Give me a clear answer, please."

"I don't want to be unsure when I answer your feelings, Joy," Sungjae told her," I don't want to hurt you."

"Tell me soon, so I can move on sooner," Joy said. She looked down," Whether you give me an answer or not, whether you leave me hanging or reject me, I'll be leaving anyways. But it would be nice if I started moving on sooner, right?" 

"Yeah, maybe," Sungjae looked hesitant," When's your enrollment date?" 

"Soon," Joy shrugged," I already paid the reservation fee for my slot there. My decision is final. I'll study there. It seemed to be an environment where I can grow in, compared to this place." 

"That's a subtle way of saying our environment here is toxic," Sungjae chuckled," All I hope is your growth and maturity as a person, Joy." 'And I'm just a stepping stone for that,' he thought. 

"I'll be going now," Joy bowed," I hope you seriously think about dating me, Yook Sungjae." 

And like that, she left. He knew Joy was going to leave that place, as quick as she could. She wanted a new environment. For her, that place was full of weeds. She can't bloom there. People would only the life out of her. When she was given the chance to leave, she took it. Without a second thought. Maybe she did think twice. Maybe she was afraid for that big of a change, especially that it costed her good relationships with some of her schoolmates. Sungjae felt like he was just watching Joy run away from him, run forward without him. He watched her disappearing silhouette in the corridor, wondering if what he felt was romantic or platonic. 

 

"Joshua, thank you," Joy smiled," You're going to transfer to the same school as Sungjae right?"

"Well, the college is cheap after all," Joshua snickered. Unlike Sungjae, Joshua was sure of his feelings. But what he wasn't sure of was his confession. Will he confess to her before the year ends? She was already troubled with Sungjae. Joshua didn't want to be extra baggage. Eventhough it was difficult for Joshua, he needed to keep it in. Every time she smiled at him, Joshua just felt special. She was always sincere with her words. She always encouraged him without fail. And he tried doing the same for her but it was so difficult to cheer on the girl you like for her crush. He didn't wish that Sungjae would reject her. He just wished Joy would be happier in the future. It was a foolish wish but it was fitting for a foolish boy like him. 

"Do you think he'll answer my feelings?" Joy asked. 

"Knowing him," Joshua paused," He won't. He doesn't like serious matters like this. He always lived an easygoing life." 

"Yeah," Joy looked down," Maybe it was just a burden for him, that a girl like me complicated his life."

"That's where you're wrong," Joshua held Joy's hand," If I were him, I would consider myself lucky. A girl like you, hardworking, loyal, loving, falls in love with me? Someone who doesn't have any experience in love? A girl like you who's willing to wait amidst my cluelessness? I think I'll treasure you." 

"You're sweet," Joy finally smiled," You've been so full of support, Joshua. Thank you." 

'You have no clue how much your words mean to me now,' Joshua thought but he only replied her with a knowing smile. "I'm always here fot you, Joy, you know that. We're more similar than we would like to think." 

Joy felt a strange tug in her chest. She felt her cheeks getting hot but she ignored the feeling. She only loved Sungjae. And Joshua was just being nice to her. But it did feel comfortable, his hand on hers. She wished Sungjae would treat her that way. She wished Sungjae would tell her he loved her the same. Soon, she couldn't control her tears from falling. She thought she stood a chance. Why was Sungjae being vague again? Why did he look so unsure again? What mistake did she do? 

"Joy?" Joshua held her face," Don't cry. Your name is Joy for a reason. Come on."

"Why doesn't anything change, Joshua? Why doesn't Sungjae love me back even after all I did? Why isn't he clear with everything? Why is he leading me on?" It all came out as a whisper but Joshua heard everything. Joshua used to like that part of Sungjae, his indecisiveness. But this was a different matter all together. They were talking about a maiden's fragile heart here. 

"He just wants to be sure," Joshua told her," He wants to be careful with you." 

"He should've been sure of everything by now. It has been months since we started our deal!" She weakly hit Joshua's chest," And yet, what part of me doesn't he like? Maybe, I'm just not his type." 

"Ideal types are just standards, you know. If Cupid hits you with an arrow, you wouldn't mind anything. I guess Cupid's stuck in traffic so he hasn't hit Sungjae yet." It hurt Joshua saying all these words. He wanted to tell her to rely on him instead. Joshua will take care of her. But he knew her heart won't waver, even if her love doesn't reciprocate her feelings. Joshua was the same. 

Even if Joy will never love him back, it was too late. Joshua already fell in love with her.