Seventeenth Hour

Our Time Together

"I'm sorry for being a bother," Joy bowed her head when they were in the middle of the road," You could just drop me off here. I live near here."

"No need, Sooyoung," Mrs Yook said, her eyes fixed on the road," I'm glad to cook you dinner. Did you tell your parents already though?"

"I sent a message to my mom earlier," Joy sounded meek in the presence of Mrs Yook. She was so nervous. Aside from that, Mrs Yook was calling her Sooyoung. When Sungjae insisted that his mother call her Joy, Mrs Yook shook her head and told him that there was a reason why Joy's parents named her Sooyoung and that will be her reason to call her by her given name. 

"I'm sorry for bothering you, Joy," Sungjae whispered. Joy showed him an understanding smile before she chuckled. 

"It feels like I'm going to meet your parents because I want to marry you," she said with a dreamy expression on her face. Her face turned red when she realized what she said. "We're too young, god, that was embarrassing. But I'm serious, Sungjae, I'm happy I get to eat dinner in your house. I think I haven't been to your house anyway."

"Don't set your expectations too high. We don't live in a mansion or anything rich kid like," Sungjae told her. 

"I know. Knowing it's where you live is enough," Joy looked away. Sungjae couldn't help smiling. He didn't know why. The hurt he felt in his chest faded away and it was replaced by an unmeasureable happiness and contentment. He wasn't sure why. He didn't realize he was already staring at Joy as she looked out the window. He did appreciate Joy's feelings for him. But he suddenly wondered how hurt she was whenever he rejected her affection. He wasn't sure what was so special about him that Joy eventually fell in love with him. They didn't talk much. They didn't even see each other eye-to-eye literally. People say that love is only developed when there's enough interaction between parties but Joy and Sungjae only talked a handful of times before she liked him. 

"Eonni, eonni," Sunghee turned her head to the two people in the backseat," You want to see oppa's yearbook back when he was in elementary and middle school?"

"That will be a pleasure!" Joy nodded with excitement before she realized how she acted," I would like to... uh.. yes."

"No!" Sungjae strongly protested but Sunghee only laughed in response. Sungjae knew he couldn't get his way through his sister. Sunghee loved teasing him whenever it was just the two of them. Sunghee had an image of an angel in her school but whenever she bonded with Sungjae, she somehow turned into a teasing devil. 

"Your sister and you appear to be close, Sungjae," Joy said before she finally turned to Sungjae again.

"Yeah, we are, along with our youngest brother. Have I told you about him? Jaesung?" Sungjae asked. 

"I've heard about him but I'm nervous about meeting him," she answered," I've seen pictures too, and he looks like the chubbier version of you, like a little chubbier."

"I've heard we siblings really look alike so don't shy away from saying it," he smiled at her. Joy zipped her lips before nodding. Her cheeks were tinted pink. She knew, if ever there would be a passing streetlight, Sungjae would notice how nervous she felt, how flustered and how unready she was about everything. Luckily, Sungjae didn't say anything, which meant he didn't notice. She breathed in, the scent of the air freshener entering her system. It calmed her down somehow, though she felt a little dizzy because of motion sickness.

Both of them were oblivious of how the other felt. Actually, Sungjae was even oblivious of his own feelings for the girl beside him. They were inches apart but he felt like they were too close. He had a hard time breathing and he couldn't stop smiling. He didn't understand why. Was this the breakdown of all the stress he had in school? Possibly. It was probable. 

 

Finally, they reached the Yook residence. At the same time, Jaesung was on his way into the house. Jaesung greeted his siblings and his mother before staring at Joy. He then smiled as if he knew about her and welcomed her into the house. 

"Why does it seem like everyone knows me?" Joy tugged Sungjae's top," I feel like they're reading my mind or something."

"They kind of do," Sungjae scratched the back of his neck," We're really open in this family so..."

"Oh..." Joy paused for a second. Sungjae's family knew her? How? How did Sungjae tell his family about her? Judging by how they looked at her, Sungjae could've only said good things, right? She felt like a large amount of expectations was on her shoulders. She felt a hundred times more nervous than the time she was in the car. 

"Don't worry. I didn't say too much," Sungjae whispered," We have a lot of secrets just between us. It's your life after all, not mine."

"Thanks," Joy looked down, still holding on the edge of Sungjae's top. She looked like a shy kid latching on her father. Sungjae honestly thought she looked cute. That was one of her positive traits after all. She was known as someone who had natural aegyo, a natural charm. She couldn't force it out of her. It would be too obvious. She wasn't that great at faking anything but happiness. Dramatic but true. Sungjae knew what Joy was hiding beneath her mask. 

"Eonni, come with me while eomma's cooking dinner," Sunghee said to annoy Sungjae even more. She wanted to make Sungjae realize his feelings (or develop feelings) for Joy. She looked like a nice girl with a great family background. She looked serious about Sungjae and Sunghee wanted to dig in, even more. Joy had no choice but to nod. She looked at Sungjae pleadingly before she was dragged off by Sunghee upstairs. 

"Aren't you nervous about what noona's going to do?" Jaesung asked as he took off his shoes.

"I am," Sungjae looked serious," But I have no choice but to let her be. She's really stubborn."

"It runs in the family," Jaesung shrugged," You're stubborn too."

"True," Sungjae laughed," I just hope she doesn't bother Joy a little too much. That girl already has a lot on her mind."

"A lot, yeah," Jaesung smiled," You."

"Me?" Sungjae widened his eyes, flustered," Me? No... uh-- err...No! I'm not the only person on her mind."

"Yeah, sure," Jaesung found it amusing, this new side Sungjae had," And King Sejong's not the one who created hangul."

 

Sunghee told Joy that she was free to sit wherever she wanted and to feel at home but Joy felt like she was in a prison. She wanted to behave properly so that she was approved by Sungjae's family. Sure, the decision to date her was in Sungjae's hands but it wouldn't hurt if his family liked her right? Sunghee sat on her bed and Joy remained standing by the door. Sunghee patted the space beside her and gestured Joy to sit beside her. The older lady took little steps before finally settling herself beside the only female Yook sibling. 

"Eonni, you're really pretty," Sunghee suddenly blurted out loud. Joy's face turned pink before she shook her head. 

"No, you're wrong," Joy continued to shake her head," If there's someone pretty here, it's you."

"And you know the truth!" Sunghee laughed," Just joking. But eonni, you really look pretty and you seem charming. Why settle for oppa? He's the silent type, not really that social."

"I think I see things nobody else sees then," Joy smiled," Maybe like a ghost. I have a special ability to see the best in him. That's what love does after all."

"But that's not all to it huh," Sunghee's shoulders slumped," You know the worst that comes with the best."

"Yeah," Joy looked up, her smile still remaining on her face," I know Sungjae's an awkward guy around girls, not really vocal about his feelings, useless with English and with writing, oblivious of many matters and has a small world, but I guess those make him charming for me. That makes him human, a little bit more attainable for someone like me."

"Someone like you, eonni? I think someone like you is too good to be true for oppa."

"Your oppa's an amazing person, Sunghee, better than I am. He couldn't ignore a broken person. He tries to socialize even though he's awkward. He's a whiz at Math subjects. His smile is that of an angel. He's a gentle person," Joy smiled to herself," I'm already lucky to have him turn my way."

"Omo, eonni," Sunghee covered ," You really sound so sincere. And you look so cute. You're so in love with oppa, aren't you?"

"Yeah," Joy's cheeks were pink but she didn't mind it at that moment. She was in a dream-like trance. "I'd do everything and anything for him, as long as it doesn't stray away from my virtues. Even if I say that, Sungjae seems like the person who respects ladies."

"He should!" Sunghee crossed her arms," Or else, eomma would kill him. That's why I told you to come to my room. He'd surely not show you his room. He'd be too flustered to have a girl in his room."

"True," Joy nodded," But he wasn't flustered when he hugged me."

Joy's eyes widened when she realized what she revealed. Sunghee grinned at her, making Joy feel even more nervous. 

"He hugged you? Omo! I didn't know you were that far in your relationship! And you aren't even dating? I didn't know oppa was such a player!"

"I am not a player!"

Both girls turned their head to the door to find it slammed open by Sungjae. 

"Oppa, why are you eavesdropping?" Sunghee looked offended," Look, eonni, this is the type of person you're crazy about. Are you okay with this?"

"Personally, I'm not," Joy said frankly," This is an intrusion of privacy or something, which is also basically against law."

"What?" Sungjae's expression changed. 

"But I still like him," Joy smiled innocently. Sungjae wondered why Joy's smile seemed to reassure him. Maybe because he was confident about Joy's feelings? That these feelings would never change nor waver? But why was it the opposite when he saw her with Joshua? Why did he feel insecure? Why did he care anyway? 

"Oooh, look, look, oppa's making a weird expression," Sunghee laughed. 

"He does look creepy," Joy nodded. 

"You're awfully getting along too well, Yook Sunghee and Park Sooyoung," Sungjae narrowed his eyes. 

"And you're getting quite comfortable listening into our conversation, oppa," Sunghee retorted back. 

"I have to side with Sunghee on this one, Sungjae. Sorry. I hope this does not lower my chances of dating you," Joy raised her hand. Sunghee ended up laughing. 

"Why do you look so serious?" Sungjae scrunched his eyebrows together. 

"Because I'm serious about dating you," Joy said, without a second thought. 

"Why can't you be embarrassed saying this?" Sungjae asked. Joy scratched the back of her neck with an awkward smile. 

"Because it's the truth, I guess? And I'm getting used to saying this in front of other people too? And your sister's not a stranger after all."