Third Hour

Our Time Together

"True self?" Joy tilted her head before looking down. "Who would love my true self? Nobody even tried to discover who I really am, save for Wendy." 

When Joy realized her words, she covered with her hands and shook her head. She laughed awkwardly before stuffing meat into . 

"Nevermind what I said, Sungjae! That was nothing!" She said, waving her hands in front of her as if she didn't like the idea of telling him everything. Sungjae knew he couldn't pry anything from Joy so he chose to ignore what she said earlier. They continued their conversation together, talking about games and studies. Joy would say something embarrassing occasionally and Sungjae would always laugh at how cute she looked. 

"You seem more comfortable," Sungjae told her as they packed up. 

"I do?" Joy blinked a few times before smiling gently to herself. "Then it's good."

"I hope you'll get more comfortable with me in the future, Joy," Sungjae said before standing up. 

"Am I progressing towards my goal?" Joy asked. Sungjae shrugged. 

"Well, we might not know soon but I guess I'll tell you when I'm certain about it."

 

Joy was walking like a robot into her classroom. Seulgi was there to welcome her, along with Yeri. Yeri hugged the poor awkward girl tightly before asking how she was.

"I'm..." Joy didn't know if she was okay or not. Her heart was beating faster and faster even though she wasn't with Sungjae. 

"You're red, baby," Seulgi said as she pointed at Joy's face. Yeri nodded in agreement. 

"What? Really?" Joy frantically searched for her mirror in her bag. All her friends could do was laugh. When Joy finally found her mirror, she stared at herself in horror. Her pale skin turned pink because of the embarrassment. 

"So, what happened?" Yeri asked as she cheekily smiled at Joy. "Did you figure out about his life or something? Does he show interest in you?"

Joy furiously shook her head and avoided their intimidating stares. 

"Don't try to force anything out of my mouth," she pouted. "God knows how embarrassing it was for me."

 

Per usual, Hyuk was outside, waiting for Sungjae to return. He saw him pause by Joy's classroom before going to theirs. He thought about the idea that Sungjae might be leading Joy on without thinking of it. Sungjae was innocent and naive. He was rather ignorant so it was a possible scenario. Sungjae then greeted Hyuk with a hello and high-fived his friend. 

"So, how was it?" Hyuk asked. 

"It went better compared to yesterday," Sungjae shrugged. "She's less awkward."

"Are you sure you aren't leading her on?" Hyuk asked. "Did you set the boundaries?"

"I'm treating her how I would treat my female friends, Hyuk. Don't worry," Sungjae entered the room and Hyuk followed him. "I'm not flirting with her or anything. I'm not giving false hopes."

"Dude, if you make Joy cry, hell will fall on you because she's friends with a lot of people," Hyuk warned him. 

"It's her choice to keep false hopes, Hyuk. If she cries, it isn't my fault. I'm just being me," Sungjae defended himself. "And I think Joy knows that herself. She seems mature enough to realize that."

 

Dismissal arrived and Joy decided to go to her old school. It had been years since she went there. She wanted to avoid her middle school at all costs but she knew she'll have to see where she began as an adolescent. When she entered the grand gates of the school, she saw a familiar face. She knew she never met the girl but the face was familiar for her. As if she had been staring at the person for years. 

"Eonni?" 

Joy turned her head and saw her younger cousin. Park Jimin, the younger sister of a cousin of hers who was the same age as she was, was a student of Joy's former school. Like her older brother, Jimin looked fluffy and soft. She looked chubby which she kinda was. 

"Jimin, it's been so long," Joy greeted her. Jimin nodded before turning her head to the direction Joy was staring. 

"Sunghee-yah!" Jimin shouted. The girl Joy was staring at turned her head and waved a bit. She then ran towards the two. 

"I forgot oppa told me to introduce you two to each other," Jimin said. Joy blinked a few times, so did Sunghee. 

"Why?" They both asked. 

"Wait, wait," Jimin stepped back. "Sunghee, this is Park Sooyoung, more known by her nickname Joy and she's my cousin. Joy-eonni, this is Yook Sunghee, and she's a classmate of mine, a top student at that."

"And..?" Joy raised an eyebrow. Jimin snickered. 

"You see, eonni," Jimin smirked. "Sunghee here is Sungjae-sunbae's younger sister."

Joy's eyes widened. She covered her face because darn it, she was really ugly during that time. She wasn't prepared to meet Sungjae's sister too soon. 

"What's with oppa?" Sunghee asked. Joy shook her head furiously but Jimin went on. 

"Eonni has a crush on your oppa," Jimin told her. Sunghee cracked a smile while Joy wanted to drag Jimin into the deeper pits of hell. 

"Really? Omo," Sunghee giggled. Joy shook her head before running out of the school grounds because of the embarrassment. 

I'm going to get you, Park Jimin. 

 

The next morning, Sungjae was cooking breakfast as usual. Sunghee just finished getting ready when she got down from her room. Jaesung was still in the bathroom during that time. Sunghee rushed to Sungjae's side and stared at the pancake at first. 

"What's the matter?" Sungjae asked his little sister. At first, Sunghee stayed quiet by his side. Sungjae shrugged and decided to give up. It was peculiar that Sunghee was a quiet one that morning. 

"Are you dating anyone, oppa?" She suddenly asked making Sungjae choke on air. 

"Wh-What?" He blinked. "Why'd you think that?"

"Then do you have someone you like, oppa?" Sunghee asked. Sungjae shook his head. 

"You know very well that I'm not ready for relationships just yet," he answered. "Why are you asking all that?"

"You know Jimin, right?" Sunghee asked. Sungjae nodded.

"Yeah, as the girl who has the same name as her brother, yes, and yes, your friend. Why?" he asked. 

"Well, I know she's a cousin with one of your batchmates. Do you know Joy-sunbae?" Sunghee asked. Sungjae's eyes widened. 

"How did you come to know Joy?" Sungjae asked. 

"Oh, Jimin introduced us to each other. She's really cute," Sunghee described Joy further and all Sungjae could do was laugh. He didn't expect the two to meet but it sounded like a girl meeting her favourite KPOP idol or something. 

"And so? Do you like her?" Sungjae asked as he put the pancakes on three plates. Sunghee nodded. 

"But that's not important! Oppa, oppa, do you like her?"