Twenty First Hour

Our Time Together

"At the... at the doorstep?" Joy stepped back. "R-really?"

"I..." Sungjae shrugged. He wasn't sure about what he said. All he knew was that he didn't want any other guy to come in between them. He didn't want Joshua to steal Joy away. He didn't want any other guy to be the object of Joy's admiration but him. 

"You're still confused huh," Joy shrugged," But I'm good with that. I want to see you confused. I want you to go through the emotions I went through while I started liking you. I want you to suffer like I did. It's not worse than what I've been through, since you know I like you, but at least you'll have a taste of hell."

"What?" Sungjae blinked a few times, trying to understand what she said. "Taste of hell?"

Joy shrugged once again, smiling knowingly. She turned her back on him before waving her hand. 

"I'll be going now," she was snickering," Good luck trying to find out what I said." 

Sungjae watched Joy walk away from him. He was confused. What Joy said was completely true. He wasn't sure if this was love or if this was something temporary. He didn't want to put anything at stake. Aside from that, he told and promised himself again and again that he'll study first before thinking about romance. His phone rang and he saw Joshua's name on the screen. He answered the call, only hearing Joshua's serious tone. 

"Sungjae, I have something to tell you."

"Where are you?" Sungjae asked. "Are you with Joy?"

"I cancelled my plans with her today. I saw you lovebirds chasing each other earlier. Anyways, I'm in the burger place we used to frequent to. I have something important to tell you," Joshua answered," It concerns Joy."

"Okay then, I'll be there."

 

Joshua looked out of the window of the establishment. He thought long and hard about what he was going to say to Sungjae. Why did he want to tell him this anyway? It'll surely destroy their friendship but he couldn't control his heart. Aside from that, it was better that Sungjae heard this from Joshua and not from anyone else. He felt like his chest was weighing him down. He felt like his head was spinning. But he was determined to tell Sungjae everything, everything he had in his heart for Joy. 

Joshua tapped on the table, still nervous. What was taking Sungjae so long? He looked at the ceiling before looking at the milk shake in front of him. It was almost empty. He breathed in deeply, staring at his lap, before lifting his head when he heard the bells from the entrance. Sungjae was panting. He looked so sweaty. Well, he did chase Joy earlier. And that girl's fight or flight sense always chose flight over fight. 

"Yo," Joshua coolly greeted him," Sit down."

"So what's up?" Sungjae asked after putting his things beside him. Before Joshua could answer, Sungjae looked at him in the eye and said," You like Joy, am I right?"

Joshua's eyes widened. How did he know? Was it obvious? Joshua was flamboyant with every girl he was with. The only thing Joy had above the girls he hangs out with is time. Joshua always made time for Joy. Maybe... Yes, maybe it was that factor. 

"So? I'm correct," Sungjae smiled at him, a playful smile. 

"Why are you smiling?" Joshua asked," Shouldn't you hate me or something? You're developing feelings for this girl."

"Why would I?" Sungjae raised an eyebrow," I mean, sure, this will kinda make you my rival but... I'm glad you're sure of your feelings. Me? I'm not sure actually. You say I'm developing feelings for her, but do you think it'll continue developing until I like her?"

"It usually does, y'know," Joshua pouted slightly before showing a frown," I wonder what she sees in you as a lover."

"Well, at least we're both wondering," Sungjae stretched his arms in the air," But why are you telling me anyway?"

"Because you have dibs on her," Joshua reasoned," And it'll make you more aware of me."

"I already am, don't worry."

"What?" Joshua widened his eyes," You're aware of me?"

"It's obvious, isn't it?" Sungjae avoided Joshua's eyes," I admit, I get jealous because you're so comfortable with Joy and she's the same with you. She talks at ease with you, compared to me."

"Ah!" Joshua laughed," It's like that because she only sees me as a friend. You're her special one so she's extra cautious around her. You don't understand since you never fell in love before but trust me!"

"Sure, I'll trust my love rival," Sungjae whistled," But I do hope she acts natural around me, like before."

"She will, once she reassured she could have your heart," Joshua cringed at what he said," What's happening to me? I sound like a maiden in love!"

"You basically are," Sungjae laughed. Both of them were secretly glad they weren't awkward around each other. Both hoped this girl won't come in between their friendship. Whoever does win, which one thinks is the other, both of them will accept. Joy wasn't a prize, she wasn't an object. There was no actual winning or losing. They can't do anything if Joy decides on something. And for now, Joy favours Sungjae over anyone. 

"So how did you notice?" 

 

Meanwhile, our heroine was at home. She was on her bed, staring at the ceiling. She was still wearing her uniform. She couldn't forget what Sungjae told her after all. 

"Joy... I think you're already at the doorstep."

She couldn't help but smile. She was almost there. She did come off a little cruel to him but she could justify herself. Sungjae has been cruel to her ever since he knew she liked him. It was just fair that she won't explain everything to Sungjae. Let him figure everything by himself. She closed her eyes. She could imagine how Sungjae would realize his feelings for her. Reminds her, she wondered why Joshua cancelled their plans earlier. Joshua has been quite a mystery recently. Well, he had always been a mystery to Joy but this time, it was more intriguing than before. 

"Hmm, maybe it's nothing," she whispered to herself," Maybe I'm just overthinking per usual."

 


A/N

It's been so long! Omg, I'm so sorry. I just transferred in a new school and I'm still getting used to this kind of life. I'm going to try and update while it's our Christmas break. Also, thank you for supporting this fiiic! It means so much to me!