Working Things Out

Without You
Please log in to read the full chapter

Working Things Out

 

  

Chaerin opened her eyes to a blank ceiling with streaks of the sun’s rays shining across. She sighed as a tinge of pain settled in her head along with memories from the previous night.

 

“Morning babe.” Ash said, startling Chaerin. His voice was raspy and broken from sleep.

 

Chaerin allowed a moment before placing an artificial smile across her face and rolling over to face him. “Morning.” She muttered, rubbing her eyes gently.

 

Ash briefly mentioned something about how cute she was in the morning and his pounding headache before placing a soft peck across Chaerin’s lips. He subconsciously noted her hesitation when he kissed her and his gaze dropped in response.

 

Through his peripheral view, he watched Chaerin raise her hand, lingering over his face for a fleeting moment before cupping his cheek. The edges of his lips curved into a smirk, appreciating the hold.

 

“We can’t be exclusive.” Ash abruptly said, catching Chaerin off guard.

 

“What?” She replied, hastily pulling her hand away from his cheek, evident surprise placed on her features.

 

“I–“ Ash’s eyes wondered around the bedroom as he swiftly sat up, resting his back against the black headboard of the bed. “We can’t be together.” He stated, running his hands through his disheveled brown hair. “I know I asked you to be my girlfriend but I was high and it was a rash decision.”

 

“So…was this a joke or something?” Chaerin creased her eyebrows, processing his words before tentatively seating herself across from his figure.

 

Ash slowly shook his head. “I can’t love you and I don’t think I’m willing to try either.” Ash paused, his eyes capturing hers unblinkingly. “I’m reckless, inconsiderate, careless, and above all of that, I can’t and I don’t love.”

 

Chaerin frowned, taking an inaudible sigh, eyes remaining wide as she struggled for words. Anger began growing in the pit of her stomach and she cursed herself for being so naïve.

 

Who was she to believe Ash would actually want a relationship with her?

 

“There’s something about you and it catches my interest.” He continued, reaching for her but she shifted away in response. “I’ve enjoyed spending the past couple of days with you and I want to continue doing so. I’m sorry, I just–I was so high when I asked you out, I wasn’t myself.”

 

Chaerin stared blankly, taking a moment to collect herself before placing a false smile across her lips. “I understand.” She nodded, exuding confidence in her features despite feeling the opposite. Her heart had dropped to the pit of her stomach and there was a lump in but she refused to allow tears to escape.

 

“I hope you’re not mad.” He said, attempting to reach for her figure once more, but she once

Please log in to read the full chapter