Reminiscing

Without You
Please log in to read the full chapter

Reminiscing

 

  

The unexpected ring of Chaerin’s mobile phone awakened her from her sleeping state. Groaning, she unwillingly opened her eyes, taking a moment to adjust to the darkness of the night. Her arms stretched for her iPhone, answering immediately.

 

“Hello?” She talked, irritation evident in her tone. Chaerin had spent most of the night taking care of Ash who was beyond drunk and high. Therefore, she hadn’t been able to get to bed until just a couple moments ago.

 

“Chae.” A well-known voice uttered.

 

Chaerin stopped, instantly sitting upright. He was using one of her nicknames and it brought a sudden feeling of familiarity within her. “Jiyong?”

 

She heard shuffling noises and a clear of his throat. “What are you up to?”

 

Chaerin furrowed her eyes in utter puzzlement as to why he was calling. Regardless, she didn’t have the heart to hang up. “Oh…uh, not much. How about you?” Her tone was light as she shifted her gaze towards the sleeping figure next to her. She warily stood up from the bed, not wanting to wake up Ash before leaving the bedroom.

 

“Same.” He paused, and Chaerin adjusted her stance uncomfortably at the silence. “Chae–“

 

There it was again. The nickname.

 

“I don’t know how else to put this.” He mumbled and Chaerin heard a brief clink of a glass letting her know he was drinking.

 

Chaerin’s eyes narrowed and she set them on a painting strategically placed by an interior designer. She didn’t understand why he was calling but a part of her enjoyed hearing his voice.

 

“In reply to what you said earlier–I miss you too.” He muttered.

 

Chaerin heard him take another gulp of his drink, which snapped her back into reality. She wanted to believe his words but she knew he was drunk. “It’s 4 AM and you’re drunk.” She stated; eyes still locked on the painting.

 

She acknowledged that she left Seoul to escape her feelings for Jiyong so why the hell was she still on the phone with him? But more importantly, it hurt, it hurt that he was now calling her at 4 AM as if she was once more simply just a booty call. Anger began rising within her and she cursed herself for her lack of self-control.

 

“Drunk words are sober thoughts.” His tone filled a sincerity she easily recognized.

 

Chaerin furrowed her eyebrows, her stare now lowering to her lap as she uneasily played with a single string hanging from her sweats. She was now fighting an eternal battle of emotions. Why was he being so genuine?

 

Jiyong sighed and Chaerin knew him well enough to know he was now frantically running his hands through his hair. “Can you please tell me why you left? I just need some sort of explanation.” He pleaded and Chaerin heard him pouring himself another glass of–if she still knows him like she used to–a glass of whiskey.

 

Her hands immediately released her grip on the string of her pants. She cautiously studied the situation she was now facing. “It doesn’t matter anymore. Get some sleep, it’s late.” Her tone was light and weary as she buried her face in her right hand.

 

“Can I see you right now? Just 15 minutes.”

 

Chaerin instantly brought her hand back down, now beginning to pace restlessly along the furnished hallway. There was a moment of uncomfortable silence before Chaerin exhaled a deep breath. She hesitated, glancing around the room. “Where?” She queried.

 

“I’m at Xin’s place right now. Will you come?”

 

Chaerin pondered before allowing a long sigh escape from her lips. “I’ll be there soon.”

 

The drive over was tedious as anxiety consumed her, resulting in her clammy hands gripping the wheel tightly. Chaerin briefly stopped before a grand residential gate, typing in a passcode she knew all too well. She recalled a plethora of memories spent at Xin’s place with Jiyong.

 

Gritting her teeth, she maneuvered into an underground parking space, settling on a vacant lot near the exit. Stepping out of the vehicle, she repeatedly brushed her hands through her hair nervously. Her eyes quickly swiped the underground space and a small smile curved on her lips as she reminisced past memories.

 

 

 

 

“Jiyong!” Chaerin screamed, her voice echoing in the underground lot as she tried to suppress her giggles, which inevitably failed as loud bursts of laughter erupted from her. Her hands were tactically placed in front of her face as Jiyong’s phone snapped endless shots of her. “Please, I’m not wearing makeup!” She said, between laughs.

 

He momentarily set his phone down, giving her a wide smile. “You always look beautiful without makeup.” He replied, a small chuckle leaving his own lips. “I meant it when I said you look best without makeup and your hair down.”

 

His cocky grin sent flutters in Chaerin’s stomach as a bright pink gradually flushed her face.

 

The two members now stood face to face, inches apart, finding comfort in one another’s presence as their eyes locked.

 

A feeling of static coursed through Jiyong as his eyes leveled against Chaerin’s and he quickly gazed away, unfamiliar with the sensation. He took a second to compose

Please log in to read the full chapter