Strained

When Your Life Suddenly becomes a Commercial

The next morning everyone woke up bright and early. Junghan made breakfast while the kids looked out the window and down at the alleyways and busy streets of China. Jun was sitting at the window pointing out different landmarks not realizing that he was recalling old memories while doing so. Doogi found this quite interesting. He silently stalked as they pulled sad little faces as if they were all remembering old memories but couldn’t connect the ones they were experiencing to their current situation now.

“Kids, get away from the window, breakfast is ready!” Junghan cheerfully announced and placed out the instant cups of food. Doogi witnessed as their moment of regal sadness quickly flipped and they suddenly regained their old happy go lucky moods. Doogi’s eyes narrowed at this detail.

Their hotel room had a small little table top stove so Seungcheol and Junghan woke up early to go to the convenience store and get any instant food they could get their hands on. 

“Cut up hot dogs? Ramen and rice balls?” Jisoo questioned.

“Yes, and you're gonna eat it because our next ride will be twice as long to compensate for today's lost,” Doogi interrupted feeling a bit disgruntled, he would be the one to be driving through all that of course. 

“Where are we going anyway, uncle?” Seokmin inquired while trying to get in the “uncle’s” lap. Doogi cooed and picked him up for a moment of ignorant bliss until he remembered that Seokmin is almost 6ft in real life and he shouldn't be cuddling a grown man. 

“Aish! Just eat your food- I need to go out for a moment,” Doogi excused himself and scrambled away from their lovey-dovey family scene. “Honestly, what's their deal?” he pondered while he stood outside in the brisk morning cold.

After struggling everyone onto the bus Doogi rented he was now determined to get them to the temple as soon as possible. They were acting too out of character and he grew afraid that they may not even want to turn back so he need to act while he can. For an hour and a half he had to listen to the kids jumping around, singing obscure kiddie songs, and every so often questioning him whether they were there yet. It was starting to piss the vocal coach off.

“Yah! Lee Seokmin you've asked that question six times in the last ten minutes! Now, if I said we weren't there six times and ten minutes ago what make you THINK that we would be there now, you fu-!”

“PD-nim!” MamaHan interjected himself between the two. He could tell Doogi was annoyed and Seokmin was just irritable. “He's just a kid no need to get upset.”

That's where Doogi snapped. He swerved the bus to the side of the road earning a collection of groans from the passengers. He put on the break and stood up. “Except, he's not.” Doogi frowned. “He's lead vocal DoKyeom. He's an idol. A Korean idol. He has parents and fans and a job that he needs to do!” Junghan’s hands tightened. Heat in his stomach was rising and boiling he was flushed feeling embarrassed that Doogi was yelling at him in front of the children. 

“WELL, WHY CAN’T I TREAT HIM AS A CHILD?! HUH? HE LOOKS LIKE ONE! HE ACTS LIKE ONE! Why must you say these things in front of him?? Huh? Why??” Junghan argued. His voice was shrill and his lips were pouted. Seungcheol came in between the both of them and rubbed Junghan’s head to calm him.

“We need to make a pit-stop, Hansol just threw up everywhere.” at the mention of one of his ‘babies’ feeling bad, Junghan snapped out of his bad mood and wore an expression of worry. They stopped at a gas station, Doogi went to refill the tank, Junghan was consoling a crying Hansol and Seungkwan, and Seungcheol was taking the kids to the bathroom. After buying them all snacks they got back on the road despite Junghan’s better judgement. He would argue it's better to take Hansol to the hospital and get some medicine but Doogi would just a moan the whole time so he gave up on that idea.

“Hey, mama?” Jihoon slid up to Junghan.

“Yes, baby?” Junghan pulled him into his embrace. Jihoon was so cute even as an adult but in this little state he was like the fluffiest of pandas or something, it was ridiculous how adorable he was and it brought bright smiles to Junghan’s face.

“Can you sing us a song?” Jihoon requested. The older nodded and immediately complied. He figured it was nap time since they've been irritable and fighting a lot during this trip. Junghan laid Jihoon down in his arms and the rest of the kids cuddled up to him as well. Chan laid on his chest, Seungkwan wiggled into his lap, Jisoo settled on his side and they all just got comfortable waiting for their ‘mama’ to sing them a sweet lullaby. Junghan thought for a moment until he figured out a good song to sing to them. He prepared himself and cleared his throat before beginning.

So what I mean is, I want to know all of you
I’ll sing you, U Hoo, I’ll sing you, U Hoo
Even if my lips are dry, I need to say this baby
I adore you, I adore you, enough to get dizzy
A-dore-U
!” 

Junghan sang sweetly and softly almost as quiet as a whisper but the melody carried and lulled them all into a deep and comfortable sleep. One that had them on their thumbs and twirling their hair. Junghan cooed at their cuteness even more before placing a kiss on each child’s forehead and covering them with a blanket. It took him a moment to move away from them because he was afraid that any little movement on his part would awake them but thank goodness they’re all heavy sleepers. He went to the front of the camper to see what Doogi and Seungcheol were up to. He was about to say something until he heard Doogi ask a off-handed question; “Do you really love Junghan?”

The blonde stayed back. He knew eavesdropping was wrong and he should trust Seungcheol but he was curious also. Never in a million years did he think that Seungcheol could harbor those same feelings towards him and he never got a reason so he thought this could be his only chance to hear how he really feels.

“What are you even saying?” Seungcheol gasped sounding quite perplexed and annoyed.

“You know what I mean, do you really love Junghan?” there was a short pause one that got Junghan biting his lip and pleading with Seungcheol in his mind to hurry up and answer.

“Of course.” Seungcheol resolved. “He is my everything, his smile is enough to get me through the toughest days and he loves me just the same-”

“Except that’s not the truth;” Doogi interjected. Seungcheol glared at him offended by what he was insinuating. 

“Whatever do you mean, hyung?” Seungcheol spat out trying to keep formalities and not be disrespectful with his hyung.

“What I mean is, that this curse has flipped your lives upside down back at the dorm you weren’t the type to get up early in the morning, go to a 9 to 5 job and come home to kids, you weren’t the cheesy lovey-dovey couple you are now, you were Choi Seungcheol, S.Coups, hip-hop and general leader of Seventeen. You were the responsible one I would think that you would know better than to get with one of your bandmates. Neither was Junghan, he wasn’t the type to cook and clean and be a dutiful wife and mother. He was a mischievous playful flirtatious visual his job is make Seventeen look good and charm all the ladies. I hope you remember who you are, you all are idols and the fan have mad crushes on you all if word get out that you two are together this could bring serious consequences to your career like, i don’t know, ENDING IT!” Doogi stressed. Seungcheol listened quietly taking in all that he said. Meanwhile, Junghan listened in as well and started feeling multiple ways about Doogi’s eye opening speech. This was all his fault, he shouldn’t have allowed his feelings to come out. His Seungcheol was only his in this world, when they go home everything will return to the way it was. They’ll be idols, with lots of fans (of who they deeply love).

There will be no more crying or loud singing, they’ll go on variety shows and shoot magazine covers like other idols, and he and Seungcheol can no longer be a couple. This he knew well and yet he still chooses to deny that reality. Even though he wants to continue to follow his dreams and go back to their old life, a small part of Junghan wanted Seungcheol to get upset and tell Doogi that, he wouldn’t break up with Junghan and pretend this whole dilemma didn’t happen. Junghan had faith that Seungcheol wouldn’t counter their love.

“Face it, Seungcheol. It’s over. You’re gonna need to end it with Junghan if you want to continue to be an idol.” Doogi finalized and Junghan could feel a small twinge in his heart. He covered his mouth trying to quiet his sobs. He listened in for Seungcheol’s reply. 

‘Please, Seungcheol, please’ he thought hopefully. Holding his breath he was waiting for something, anything that showed that Seungcheol didn’t think the same.

“You’re right.” 

It seemed like Junghan’s prayers fell on deaf ears. He decided listening to this conversation was only succeeding in hurting himself more so he just walked away and buried his face in a pillow so that his cries wouldn’t wake the children. He found that he was exhausted and needed to take a nap as well. 


A/N: Ugh…this is so angsty and very messy and uwu mannnn I had some ideas but they just weren’t coming out….sorry!! At least I updated on time! Orz

((I'm sorry it's so short))

((It's messy I know…))

((Comment & upvote!))

((I love y'all!!))