[16] Happiness

Overcome His Grief (Hiatus)

<< Happiness >>

The odd sounds of the nocturnal animals' are coming out from the small trees nearby. Dongjae stands there and watches Jimin and Taehyung by the wall wires at the basketball court. He is impressed by Jimin's basketball skills. Jimin and Taehyung compete against the other team in the first round. They smile and high five each other after Jimin shoots the ball into the hoop perfectly. Donjae claps a little and still in awe of Jimin's amazing skills. He joins with Jimin and Taehyung against the other team for the second round. Jimin passes the ball to Dongjae. Dongjae runs vigorously and shoots the ball into the hoop, thus winning victoriously.

Taehyung congratulates his nephew for his perfect shot. He loudly yells, "Wow! Awesome shot! You're a fast learner than me! Good job!" He raises his right hand for high five. He turns to Jimin and then happily winks at him. He then looks back at Dongjae and asks, "Do you want to play again?" Dongjae quickly nods 'yes'. Taehyung smiles and yells, "Everyone! Dongjae wants to play for another round! Are you guys in?" After the third round ended, they all have gotten very exhausted with a lot of sweat coming out of their body. One of the players, a girl who says, "It was fun playing with you guys! Awesome game! I'm a basketball player myself. I play for my team in college. I always practice here during the evenings, so if you guys want to play more games with me and my friends. I will always be here in this court. I'd be happy to see you guys again." Before she leaves, she quickly introduces herself, "I'm Joohyun.by the way." She then winks at Dongjae.

They say good-bye while waving at each other and leave the park. Up the street on the sidewalk, they make heavy steps on the ground due to being tired and sore from playing basketball for many rounds. Taehyung asks, "Donjae! Did you have fun? You were amazing out there. You've got to learn the basketball techniques from Jimin for the first time!" Dongjae nods for sure frankly. He turns around and looks at Jimin. He slowly smiles. He finally says, "T-thank you!" Taehyung bursts out and ruffles Dongjae's hair. He's very happy to see Dongjae being happy and not bored neither sad.

They finally arrive at Taehyung's house. Jimin stops and looks up at the house that has a blue secured gate at the front, beautiful gardens outside between the two big heavy front doors, and two large front transparent windows. The house has a black roof, and the outside walls of the house are beige. Taehyung shoves his left hand into the pocket and rummages it for a key. He grabs it right away and opens the blue secured gate. Dongjae walks through the gate. Taehyung turns to look at Jimin and says, "Come! There's no one inside." He grips on Jimin's wrists to lead him into the house. He adds, "My parents are still busy working until midnight. But they'd be always happy to welcome my friends in our house. Let's eat a snak! Make yourself comfortable and play with my nephew! I will be back when I'm done making a snack." Jimin nods. He sits down on the sofa. He feels his tracksuit jacket sleeve is tugged by Dongjae. He turns to see Dongjae who looks at him with his lonely eyes. Jimin sighs heavily, scratches his head, and doesn't know what to do with him. He feels tired because he has played a really long basketball game with him, Taehyung and other players. Dongjae lowers his eyes and keeps his head down while hugging his cute small stuffy bear. Jimin feels nervous and starts to worry as he never has connected with a kid alone before. He doesn't want Dongjae to be upset and bored, so he is still thinking while biting his lower lips. A few seconds, something pops up in his mind. He remembers that he has played with his older brother, Ji-Dae for several times when he was a kid. He has always played fun things such as chasing, piggyback ride, hide-and-seek, PlayStation, and other fun things that most people play. He arises from the sofa and finally stammers, "U-um, let's play hide and seek... or I can give you a really fun piggyback ride!!" He looks at Dongjae and nervously smiles. Dongjae smiles back and nods. Jimin holds Dongjae's right hand and squats down to let Dongjae climb on his back. Jimin then begins to walk fast around the living room. He has made several turns, spins, twirls, and other moves. After nearly ten minutes, Jimin stops to rest for a bit. They then play hide and seek. Jimin covers his eyes while Dongjae goes to hide. Dongjae tiptoes quietly and looks everywhere for a good hiding spot. "10... 9...8...7..6..5...4...3...2...1.. here I come!" Jimin shouts. Dongjae has finally hid himself in the large curtain just in time. He stands straight and waits for Jimin. He grins cutely and takes a soft breath. Jimin slowly walks around the living room without even checking the large curtains before leaving to the kitchen. He opens the lower kitchen cabinet and know that Dongjae is not in there. Taehyung is at the table making something delicious. Jimin goes to the balcony nearby and slides the curtains, but Dongjae is not there. He is surprised and thinks, "Wow! He must be really good at this. Where is he hiding?" His brows frown and decides to forfeit, by calling Dongjae's name. He shouts, "Dongjae!! I give up! Tell me wherever you are!" Dongjae giggles loudly and shouts, "Heyy!! I'm right here!!" Jimin follows his voice leading him back to the living room and to the curtains. He slides the large curtain aside and sees Dongjae's head. Dongjae surprises him by saying, "BOO!" Both laugh and Jimin tells him that he's not good at hide-and-seek. Dongjae laughs, "Hahaha! It shouldn't be hard! I'll count and you go hide!" Jimin smiles and quickly leaves to find a best hiding spot.

Taehyung yells, "H-Hellooo!! Everyone! Snack!!" He places three glasses of fresh blueberry-strawberry-pineapple smoothie without sugar on the coasters and walks back to the kitchen to pick up the big plate of freshly warm raisin bran cookies. Although, some cookies are bit burnt. Jimin and Dongjae sit down on the long sofa.Taehyung slops back on the sofa, sighs heavily, and stretches his arms up. Jimin and Dongjae slowly pick up a piece of raisin bran cookie. they take a small bite and gradually chew it into their mouth. Taehyung fakes his smile while watching them eat. He quietly holds his fingers together and asks, "Jimin-ah. Dongjae. Did you guys have fun time together?" Jimin lowers his head and clears his throat. Dongjae looks up at Taehyung, nods and smiles a bit. He says,"Y-yes. I had fun. Basketball, hide-and-seek, and a piggyback ride. I enjoy playing with Jimin." He smiles widely. He then looks at Jimin. He finally says, "T-thank you for playing with me. I'm happy to have you as a friend. I really enjoy watching you play basketball, and you've influenced me to have fun." Taehyung is finched and says, "Aww, you've got to learn something fun!" He gives his thumb up to Dongjae. Jimin is touched by Dongjae's sincere words. He looks into Dongjae's eyes and smiles back.

Jimin holds out his wrist to check at his watch. The time is 11:30 p.m. He feels like that time has went by so fast. He watches Taehyung feeding Dongjae some cookies and hugging him into a warm embrace. He grins softly. He misses his older brother deeply and imagines that Taehyung is like his older brother to him. He has enjoyed having a good time with Taehyung and Dongjae and is glad that his self-esteem has started to grow, thanks to his best friends and Dongjae. He then stands up from the sofa and turns to Taehyung, saying that he has to leave now. Suddenly, the doorbell rings as the ringing sound cuts off Jimin's words. He opens the door and see Taehyung's parents and his older sister sees both Dongjae and Taehyung. Taehyung's older sister hugs Taehyung warmly. She drops her knees on the ground in front of her son and kisses him on his cheek. She puts her hands on Dongjae's shoulders. She says, "Finally, how was your day today? Have you eaten?" She looks at him with her worried eyes. She hopes that Dongjae has had a good time with her younger brother, Taehyung. She bites her lower lips and waits for her son's response. Dongjae smiles big and nods. He finally says, "I had the most awesome day ever!! I went to park with my uncle for ice-cream and bungeoppang! I also play basketball with him and my new friend, Jimin!  He's an awesome basketball player and he has shown me some tips! I hope I can be great as him!" Taehyung's older sister is glad to hear the good things from her son. She smiles back and feels relieved with a lot of satisfaction. She stands up and holds her son's hand. She bows to Jimin and gives him a warm smile. Jimin both smiles and bows back. Taehyung's older sister says, "Thank you for helping out my son and teaching him how to play a basketball. It was really nice to meet you, Jimin. I'm April." She covers with her hand when she laughs blissfully, thanking him for being friends with her son. She bows again as Dongjae does, too. Taehyung's parents hear everything from them and are happy to meet Taehyung's new friend. Jimin bows to them respectably. He says, "I-I'm sorry. It's getting late. I have to go now! Would you excuse me? It was really nice to meet you!" He turns to Taehyung and says, "Thanks for the snacks!" He waves 'good-bye' at Taehyung and opens the door behind him. Taehyung waves back and says, "Bye! See you at school!" Taehyung's family stands at the door and waves 'good-bye' at Jimin.

In the subwat train, Jimin grips the handle bar to stand still on the ground, and texts his aunt, wanting to know that if his aunt is at home. He shows his phone into his pocket and covers his turtleneck tracksuit jacket's collar around his neck to keep himself warm.

Jimin finally arrives at his house and walks past the living room and to the kitchen. His ant hears the footsteps coming behind her. Jimin puts his hands into his pocket with his earphones on. She walks quickly towards him. Jimin shouts, "Oh! You scared me! Hi aunt! I texted you half an hour ago, but you didn't reply back." His aunt says, "Ohh! I'm sorry I was so busy tonight. I turned my phone's vibration off because I didn't want any distraction. But I'm home now. Are you hungry?" Jimin sighs heavily and says, "I'm going to my room to change my clothes. And yes, I'm hungry. Can you cook something for me please?" His aunt says, "Oh yes! I will cook something for us!"

After finishing their late dinner, Jimin clears his throat as he has something to tell her. He tells, "Aunt, I-I'm.. I have some good news ... I'm..." His aunt widens her eyes and waits patiently. Jimin straightly says, "I'm accepted to be a part of my school's basketball team. I went to the try-out last time and the coach was really impressed by my skills. Soo, I'm playing basketball again." His aunt is really surprised to hear this and she almost chockes while coughing weirdly. His aunt's lips curl up into a smile and loudly says, "Wow! I couldn't believe this! I-I'm speechless! Good for you! I'm really proud of you! And your parents would have been proud of you too! And so your brother. It's a good thing that you're overcoming your grief. I know what it's like to lose a family. I have to admit that I actually do know why you left your basketball team in middle school. It's hard. But it takes time. And now many years have went by, you're back playing basketball and plus, you have friends. I'm happy for you that you've finally had courage to try." She smiles and kisses on his forehead. She adds, "I surely miss your parents and your brother very deeply. I just wish that the car accident never happened that night. But, tragicthings happen. I think it's important that we must keep going forward instead of staying in the same place where we grieved over the loss of our family. I'm pretty sure that your parents and your brother don't want us to be sad for the rest of our lives. They are in a good place right now, and they want to expect that we have happiness, the good things in our lives, and that we should be thankful and grateful for we have, because we truly deserve to be happy." Jimin slowly smiles and gently hugs his aunt for her words that makes him actually feel a lot better than before, because they have never talked or discussed about their family and lives before. He says, "I really miss my family. My dad, mom, and .... ahaha my brother." His aunt quietly laughs a bit, while crying at the same time. She replies, "They're amazing people. Especially your mom. She was my inspiration. She was full of kindness so wild and free. I remember she enjoyed trying new adventures. She was always taking pictures of so many things and she wanted to show them to me and our parents. I always look up to her when I was kid because I wanted to have an extraordinary life, and she knew and taught me so many things I just couldn't thank more. I'm really saddened that now she's gone. Not only you lost a mother that night, but I lost a sister. But.... I still have you, and I still love you very much. Jimin, you are an amazing person. I know that, and you know that. I want you to be happy and keep doing things you genuinely enjoy, whatever to keep yourself happy." Jimin cries a bit and then tells her that they should be cleaing up since it's already past midnight.