[13] Basketball Try-out

Overcome His Grief (Hiatus)

<< Basketball Try-out >>

Jimin and his aunt come back to their home late night after visiting Jungkook's house. Jimin feels not sure if the electricity is working again. He walks towards the light switch and tries to turn on the switch. It doesn't work. He takes a heavy sigh and rolls his eyes. He goes to living room and sits down on the sofa, grabs the match, and lights the candles on the coffee table. He loves the smells of the three different scents: vanilla, lavender, and cherry blossom. The three scents spread around the room and he totally loves this kind of mood as it can really him to relax peacefully. His whole house is still pretty dark. After a few minutes, he starts to feel very sleepy and tired. He carries the candle and walks slowly to his room. He floppily lays on his bed and quickly sleeps.

Two days later, the rainstom finally stops. There is a dead silence in his neighborhood area. There is a lot of fallen leaves on the ground everywhere. Jimin pulls the curtains and looks outside. He checks to ensure if the electricity has worked again. He turns on the light switch and it lights on. He is feeling very happy to have the electricity back, now that he is able to charge his cellphone. Within a second, his body starts to shiver. He's feeling chilly since his room has been cold without heat last night. He rubs his upper arms to keep himself warm. He puts his school uniform on and walks to the living room. He grabs the remote control and turns on the TV to check if schools have been reopened or not. His nose suddenly sneezes and feels like runny. His aunt gasps and asks him if he has a cold. Jimin nods. His aunt then says, "Alright, I'm going to make you a secret tea. Hopefully it work." Jimin smiles and then shifts to the screen, hearing the news about the schools being finally reopened. Jimin complains, "Then I will have so much homework to do."

His aunt calls, "Jimin! Breakfast's ready!" Jimin stands up and walks to the dining room. He sits on the chair and looks at the food his aunt has prepared. She's serving toasts with avocados and poached eggs. She also has made him tea consisting of warm water and secret ingredient. His aunt picks up the small bag off the chair and grabs the new thick woven scarf. She puts a scarf around Jimin's neck. She says, "It keeps you warm. It's expensive but has a really high quality. Ahh! W-wait! I made a lunch for you. Here you go sweetie!" Jimin says quietly, "Thank you. Bye Aunt."

Jimin walks into the classroom and sees his friend, Taehyung sitting by the window and his mouth is covered by tne white mask. He assumes that Taehyung might be sick, too. He keeps his new scarf around his neck tightly and walks towards his friend. He asks, "Taehyung, you're sick, too?" Taehyung doesn't say a word, but nods "yes". Taehyung sneezes softly and is really shivering. Jimin says, "Well... I have a cold, too. Thanks to the rainstorm and no electricity." Taehyung chuckles and says, "My mom didn't know I have a cold. I pretended I was fine this morning. I just didn't really make my mom too worried and overprotective." Jungkook arrives and immediately rushes towards them. He shouts, "Jimin! Have you signed up for the basketball tryouts?! It's on the bulletin board now! There are over 30 names on it!" Jimin seems unsure about the basketball tryouts, feeling uneasy of how others are going to judge him. Taehyung gently pats on his shoulders and says, "Don't forget to sign up during the break." He then winks before he coughs loudly.

After his class ends, Jimin goes to find the bulletin board in the hallway. He finds the basketball tryouts info paper and the clipboard with a black pen. The tryouts is next week, and he sees over 30 names being signed on the paper. He can't make up his mind whether he should try out or not. The PE teacher walks towards him and checks the names' list. The PE teacher is a man who is in the early 30s, is 6 ft tall, and always wears tracksuits. He is surprised to see that there will be many students who is coming for the tryouts. He says, "Wow, over 30 students! Hey, are you thinking of coming for the basketball tryout? Oh I forgot. I'm Lee Kwang Soo. I'll be the coach for this season." Jimin nervously replies, "Nice to meet you, Kwangsoo. I'm Jimin. Umm y-yeah. My friends told me about the basketball tryout things... I-I like to play basketball." Kwangsoo says, "Good for you! I am happy to hear from someone who likes to play basketball. This season is going to be a lot of fun, trust me. Well okay, so the tryout is starting next week. Remember to bring your gym clothes and ... I can't wait to see you play! Good luck!" Kwangsoo pats on Jimin's shoulders and quickly waves good-bye. Jimin smiles and then looks at the clipboard. He's holding the black pen, finally making his decision that he will join try out for the basketball team. He slowly signs his name on the paper, being number 35 to do so.

For the whole week, he practices basketball regularly with his friends, Taehyung and Jungkook, at the local park. Jungkook says, "I'm glad you took our suggestion!" Jimin laughs and says, "The team will only have 18 players. Will I make it?" Taehyung shouts, "You will! Have you seen the way you play?! You're amazing!!"

- On the day of the basketball tryout -

The tryout is almost starting right after school ends. Jimin nervously walks to the gym after receiving some "good luck" from his friends. He finds the locker room and changes his clothes. He then walks into the gym and sees many students already sitting on the bleachers. There is approximately 40 students, including himself. He also sees Kwangsoo talking with his young female assistant. He finds his seat on the bleachers a bit far away from the students and he patiently waits. Many students are talking with each other, while Jimin is all alone and quiet. He wishes his friends are here with him. Finally, the tryout begins as Kwangsoo asks everyone for their attention. He introduces himself and his assistant and then he explains the outline of the tryout. Many students will be tested based on their skills. Firstly, they will do the beep test which they will have to run from one wall to the end, back and forth non-stop. After that, they will have to do push ups and jumping jacks until Kwangsoo tells them to stop. Next, thtey will be doing the ball-passing. All students are divided into two groups, and both groups are lined straight and faced towards each other. Finally, the last test is the basketball shot, which it's one of the most important skills for basketball. All students are lined up, waiting for their turn to shoot the basketball. While Jimin is waiting, his forehead starts to sweat a bit because he is afraid what if he messes up, and plus, he knows he loves basketball and he hopes being on the basketball team again, will help him turn his life around. Basketball shot is hard as he observes that not many people could succeed this, and only a few has aced it. Before it is his turn, he closes his eyes and remembers his old times at the middle school where he used to be part of the basketball team. He rememberss one of his old teachers who has given him tips about the tryout and how to succeed it. He has took one of the advices from his teacher to remember that it's not the end of the world if he fails, and one of the only ways to ace the tryout is just being yourself, be free, and have fun. That way, they can see him acknowledging his passion, and being so passionate of what he likes, can lead him to be successful. "Jimin, you're next", Kwangsoo says. Jimin immediately opens his eyes and looks at the coach. Kwangsoo gives him a wink and says, "Whenever you're ready." Jimin takes a deep breath and grabs the basketball off the ground. He bounces it a few times before he takes a step. He reminds himself that it's only for fun. He then bends down and adjusts his body. Within a second, he starts rise up and quickly jumps to make a good throw. The ball immediately flies off his hands and soars highly in the air to the hoop. It then lands on the rim and begins to spin around in a speed range from fast to slow, gradually. Jimin closes his eyes, hoping the ball successfully goes into the hoop, and after a few seconds, he hears the basketball lands loudly on the ground, unsure if he has succeeded.