Enemies

First Month Of Madness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Enemies

I woke up that morning to a loud knock at my door, yet, despite the implication of a knock being that someone is waiting outside the source had no intentions of staying put. To say I was surprised would be an understatement and I found myself hoping that this wake-up call wasn't a permanent fixture to my new life.
“Oi wake up!” The voice came and I half expected it to be Kai or even Chloe but this was a new one. The fact the voice didn't belong to either of the two I suspected was weird for many reasons, the most prevalent being: I didn't know anyone else. 
I looked up to see a face of makeup and false eyelashes in my vision. I wondered who would go to such effort when it was 7 o'clock. The figure also had perfectly curled short black hair and wide brown eyes that seemed to swallow the room. She was perfection in every visual sense yet even from this curt encounter I could tell her personality wouldn’t be up to scratch.

“Hey!” She yelled again, “stop your gawking foreigner and answer me!” now I was outraged; how dare she come into my room and demand I answer her when not a single question had been posed let alone an initial greeting initiated.
“Um… can I help you?” I mimicked her dialect as to throw off the ‘foreigner’ stigma yet in hindsight I imagine, due to the whole look, I was fooling no one.  I sat up in anticipation, waiting to hear what she had to say at such a time; my first 2 periods were free and I intended spending them sleeping.
“Yes actually. It seems you have been misplaced with my Kai.” She began speaking awfully formally… yet superciliously.
I raised an eyebrow, “your kai?” I didn't have Kai down as the lap-dog type but here before me stood his owner. 
“Yes, and I would appreciate if you kept in mind that he is out of bounds!”
I scoffed, wondering where her arrogance was coming from. “Trust me girly, I don’t want him, you are welcome.”
The awful Korean girl huffed, “you make it sound as if I was seeking your blessing!”
I had just about had enough thus hastily got out of my bed. I stood inches above her petite frame and she was skinnier than me, less womanly in my opinion yet that could easily be biassed as it would seem she had a goddess complex thus must have had some motivation to think in such a way.
At a loss of anything else to do I carried out the last option on my short list. “KAI!” I called disregarding the fact I was dressed in only underwear when she was dressed as if to go clubbing.

After an awkward minute or two- which I productively spent staring her out as to ‘assert fear in my enemies’ -he finally arose. “What?” I heard from the door frame yet honestly expected more than that.
I grimaced. "Your girlfriend found her way into my room… have her back.” I hoped I came across as unimpressed as I felt. 
Kai cocked an eyebrow with a little confusion, “Oh, Minji… um…how did you get in?” He said rather wearily although a smile grew upon her painted lips none the less.
“I got a key cut last year, silly boy!” she cooed as I made gagging gestures behind her back.
Kai just nodded, “That’s right… I forgot… “ I caught a hint of annoyance in his tone. “I’ll tell you what; I’ll meet you in the café in 10 minutes okay? Just… I think we should leave ________to put on some clothes.”
She nodded, looking down her nose at me as she walked towards the door. “I think she was planning on seducing you, Kai.” The ‘whispered’, pursing her lips.
I quickly responded, “I WAS SLEEPING! SLEEPING!” As I shouted after her the front door closed, presumably with her on the other side yet I felt as if I had to make sure. “I ing hate this flat!”

I stomped out into the living room to see Kai’s back plastered against the front door as he sat at the foot of it head rested in his palms as he groaned.
“WHAT THE HELL!” I exploded “KEEP A HOLD OF YOUR GIRLFRIEND, MATE!”
He looked extremely taken aback but reframed from shouting as I had beforehand instead he shushed me immediately. In fact, the -sure Kai I had seen yesterday was almost gone and had ben replaced with a jittering mess. 
“Don’t shout.” He whispered upon getting up and putting the chain on the door, “Minji might still be outside.”

I cocked an eyebrow still only dressed in my Bra, knickers and many, many necklaces. The fact I slept in necklaces was probably weird to him as he looked me up and down, it probably was but, eh, I was too lazy to take them off. Kai seemed to sneer a little yet ultimately shook it off and laid the matter to rest in his head. 
“This chain stays on the door whenever we are inside okay!” He frantically told me, erratic eyes staring into my skull, “and the code word to enter the flat is ‘blossom’ no, wait… she knows that word, tell me a British dialect word!”
“um. um. um…” I panicked, what the hell was going on “I don’t know! Shag! It means to have …”
“Yeah!” He frantically exclaimed walking around the room like a mad man “she would never be able to guess that….” In all honesty, by now I had realised that I was stood pretty much in front of my new roommate- male roommate- yet rejoiced in the fact he seemed too engrossed with himself to care.

I nodded in confusion, pursing my lips as I inconspicuously looked around the room. “I honestly couldn’t give a right now but, if she is your girlfriend then, the is all this about?” I was wondering why someone would be so adamant on avoiding someone they were dating. You were meant to at least like your girlfriend, right?

“That’s the thing," Kai began to admit as he awkwardly avoided eye contact with me, "She isn’t… she was… but now she isn’t!” His eyes were big and alive as they looked to the ground, he looked mental.  “OH, GOD!” Kai suddenly exclaimed while sitting down on the sofa, his head falling into his hands in despair. “and now I have to go meet her!”

And... with no sympathy from me,  kai did just that, not that it was any of my business but I still had to put the chain on the door after he left. And even though he was reluctant I could only see good coming from this. At least, I shouldn’t have had any more rude awakenings when this was over.

In the meantime, I had managed to get dressed to the least possible extent as was happily unpacking my art gear. I intended to set up a working area somewhere in my room but was interrupted before I could draw up a space plan. Suddenly I had heard a knock at the door followed by profanity:
“SHAG!” I heard coming through the letter box and giggled as I imagined the reactions of the other British exchange students in the area. Maybe I was a little proud of making the infamous kingka of the college so reliant on me in only 12 hours and was in no rush to open the door. When I finally did unchain and unlock the door, however, Kai seemed adamant on getting inside.

“You sort it?” I asked arms folded over my chest, still unimpressed by his antics. When I was told of his social status, I imagined Kai would be my biggest problem, not his surprise crazy girlfriend... Minji?
“Well..." He swallowed as he pushed straight past me as to make a B-line for the fridge,  "sure…”
Somehow, I wasn't so convinced and was hot on his heels, “You set it straight… told her it was over…” I sceptically inquired yet he became more and more sheepish as I spoke.

“Not exactly…" Kai huffed and he swung open the long door of the fridge and darted for the open beer on the inside, "we got back together.” He told and took a long swig of the alcohol.

I, couldn't have even considered asking my displeasure as that’s when I lost it. I don’t know why, but something came over me and I exploded with criticism. It wasn't my life, I didn't even know Kai but still, I was pissed off to no end. “DUDE, SHE’S CRAZY THOUGH!” I bellowed, arms in the air with bewilderment.
Kai only pushed back past me and went for the sofa, he slumped carelessly despite the drink in his hand.
“I know that.” The tan Korean admitted, but was now smiling menacingly, “but you know," He shrugged,  "Minji is familiar and she hates you so win/win.” Kai's smile was slyer than usual and inspired rage within me as I stood redundantly in the middle of the large, open room. Luckily he could reframe from making eye contact with me as I came around to the sofa too, and instead studied the crack in our ceiling… actually…
I should have had that looked at; it was giant.

“w-what?” I stuttered, obviously missing something as I was under the impression that he hated her...maybe he hated me more.
That was a thought.
“She knows me, we get on..." Kai stopped and shrugged a little, "We get on sometimes, it's easy and to be honest, round 2 of whatever that was isn’t something that’s easily passed up”

My face dropped to form a vile frown as I perched on the arm of the sofa. “You little !" I sneered, staring holes into the side of his head as he smirked around the rim of the beer bottle. "You mean you’re dating her to annoy me!”
Kai leered with contemplative diction, “Not exclusively to annoy you but that did help in the realisation of my true feelings.”
My brow furrowed as he continued to pledge the bull- reasons he had for getting back with this woman, “Even though she’s a total psychopath?” I poked with a sneer.
Kai nodded, not even bothering to remove the bottle from his mouth as he like a baby. Everything he did was beginning to grate on me, especially since his childish nature surfaced completely.
I shrugged and pursed my lips matter-of-factly as I stood up from my perch, “You’re the devil.” I mentioned redundantly with little force. 
Kai seemed to agree. “Welcome to hell __________”

I ran through the courtyard, clutching at my sketchbooks and wincing at the pain in my side. I had never been an athletic one so the sprint I was currently carrying out was killing me, despite the beautiful scenery I was surrounded with. Upon the struggle of the previous day I hadn’t had time to look around campus thus knew not of the diligence of the old buildings and flowers so craftily situated among the grounds. I marvelled in the perfect energy of the flora as if located specifically to prevail in provoking  unorthodox thinking, ironically, with their tranquil order. Everything in this place was like that, perfect to a satisfyingly peaceful degree, from the cobblestone paths to the pond sheltered by majestically hanging willow trees. I was starting to love it here having forgotten about my rooming problem. 

As I continued to run a breeze of relief came upon me as I was sure the fine arts department was in sight. I continued my journey to my lesson at a lesser pace and relaxed into a steady jog.  As if out of a terrible rom-com, I somehow got obstructed when I came into collision with another figure.

 I fell to the ground mercilessly, not quite sure what had happened as my head spun. I had fallen straight on my and subsequently, felt the damage to my ego way harder than that to my body.
“S-Sorry.” The boy had said very wearily, somehow still standing. I had dropped all my books onto the floor and noticed how sorry he appeared. The way he spoke was funny, though, his accent wasn't of this realm rendering me intrigued. 
I shook my head, “Oh it’s fine," I laughed a little, rubbing my side, "I shouldn’t have been running.” His apologetic attitude provoked a jovial caring side to me; I couldn’t be angry at such a clumsy boy, of whom due to this, I suspected was much like myself. 
Seeming grateful he laughed too, “Oh, are you late as well?”  He inquired as he began to pick up my books from the floor, noticing what subject I seemed to be studying.
“10 minutes, history of art, you?” I enquired just wanting to hear him speak once more. His accent was the cutest thing I had ever heard all bubbly and charming, and I had never seen eyes more sparkly. He stood

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter