Kim Kai Kingka

First Month Of Madness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kim Kai Kingka

The first month of university is the most important; everything is decided in that short, but essential, amount of time: Friendships are made and enemies are found, along with a plethora of new hardships being discovered and small pressures coming to light. My first month would be mad, far more farfetched than even the most extensive authors could imagine. In no way would I ever think that my extremely normal life could be chucked upside down by one key event- one mistake that plunged me into a whole new universe of untouchable boys, evil girls, and amazing friends.

I knew what my favourite thing about studying fine arts at university would be before I even set foot on campus, it would be the people and the aesthetic of individuality that they all held. Conformism and orthodoxy weren’t really my thing so from the first bad dye job I set my gaze on I knew I was finally home. What I didn’t think through properly was how lax the attitude towards absolutely everything would be here so I was left to trudge through the campus site with but a map and a key to my new room.  I thought I would have someone to show me around yet by the smell of it everyone was pretty blazed therefore probably not up to babysitting newbies.

As I struggled with my map and turned a sharp corner triumph was finally mine; this was it, my building… now all I had to do was find the dorm.  I looked around for someone who could help me. To my right was a group of girls sat on the grass of the courtyard gossiping and laughing. I couldn’t ask them; their unity was intimidating. Just to my right was a boy playing the guitar, he looked nice enough but appeared to be busy. I sighed upon realising I was going to have to drag all my bags to my room on my own.  As if fate was at play, just as all hope was lost and I was ready to pull my back out, from behind me I heard the high pitched voice of a female.

“Hey, you need any help?” She asked and I turned around to see a smiley blonde haired girl offering assistance, although see was a few minutes late.  “Your bags look heavy.”
“Oh, Chloe, so you decide to show up now?”  I mocked sarcastically with a smile; this was my best friend from home, she had come over a month before school started to settle in… a very good idea in hindsight.  She had originally promised to meet me and show me around the university but it seems that plan went out the window along with my better sense.  
“Sorry, I tried to meet you in reception but I overslept.”
I rolled my eyes, “Actually, I think I’ve found my building but help with my bags would be wonderful!”
She appeared to be a literal angel yet I knew better; she was exactly like me, hopeless thus we were the best of friends. Chloe quickly agreed, taking the bigger of my bags in hand and following me.

We reached the heavy double doors and I wasted no time in swinging one open as to entering yet Chloe seemed more apprehensive. It was hot outside, and usually, we would both be eager to get out the sun, but not today. “This is your building?” she asked apprehensively. 
“Yeah, what’s up?” I requested as I nodded doubtingly. From the look on her face, we were about to enter hell which didn't fill me with optimism. 
“Oh, nothing, It just gets a bit rowdy in here sometimes is all. I’m just in the next block...” Chloe warned, laughing awkwardly as she observed the dreadful look on my face soften a little.
“I assumed it would, I mean, it’s not as if we’re studying maths or summing!”
She giggled at my logic before we entered none the less. 

Luckily, my flat was only on the 3rd of the 8 floors of the building. It could have been so much worse and I pitied those who lived so far up. Still, something still troubled me. Chloe had informed me that everyone is assigned a roommate for their first and even second year here and I was yet to meet mine. I wondered what she would be like: would she be messy like me or extremely clean, what would she be studying, would she even speak my language! I wasn't a picky person but really couldn't stand it if I was paired with a compleat -hole. 

Eventually, my journey came to a well-anticipated end, “36!” My friend chimed as we reached the door. Weirdly, it was left open which really just meant my roomie was already inside.

Ultimately, above everything I hoped she was nice... just civil, but I hadn’t quite got any of the answers I had expected because she didn’t seem to be a she at all.

 

“Um… hello?” I called out to the boy who was obviously dancing around in a leotard in my new living room. I hoped he was a ballerina and not just a weirdo. Either was equally possible at this point in time as his fluent moves slowed before He stopped and gave me the dirtiest look possible.
“Can I help you?” The boy asked in disdain, using a remote to turn off the TV as he leered at the two girls in his doorway - Us. 
I furrowed my eyebrows; if he was a ballerina he was an extremely rude one. “I don’t know… this is room 36 of building 4, right?” I confirmed, hoping that this was all a terrible mistake on my behalf so I could just apologise, cringe, and avoid him for three years. 

Unfortunately, the tan boy nodded, for some reason, Chloe had gone deathly silent as if ballet boy was a ghost. Unlike my mute best friend, I was going to deal with this head on, in the lack of a better choice. “Then what are you doing here?”
He sneered, scrunching up his little nose in revulsion, “excuse me, missy but this is my room!”
I reciprocated in disbelief, how could he be so rude to someone he just met?  Well, two can play at that game, “Then say hello to your new roommate, I’m ________ nice to meet you.”

The boy looked extremely troubled and despite his tall, elegant stature still managed to stumble over me as Chloe and I dragged my bags into the flat. He remained standing in the middle of the room as if his brain had fallen out of his ear for a while before I slammed the door shut. Chole was still acting strange, though and remained silent the whole time. 

“No…” The Korean boy stated very finally, “there must have been a mistake; you’re… you’re a girl!”
I nodded to him how I would to a child, “I am, that’s right.” Before throwing the sheet of paper that contained my housing details his way.  “Where’s my room?”
He stood with his mouth agape and black eyes wide open. This one came across as a boy that often got his way so wasn’t use to anyone back chatting him. But, sure enough, he did as he was asked and pointed to a door, “you can have my old room; I moved into the bigger one last week.”

I thanked him somewhat sincerely and moved in the general direction of the first door on the far wall. “Come on Clo.” I cooed, wondering what on Earth had got into her which entailed me talking to her like a dog.

Obviously, in a trance of some description, Chole followed behind me closely as we entered the room. It seemed to pose some solitude away from the not so welcoming brat in the living room, thus let us breathe easy.

“Oh My God.” Chloe stood with her back firmly against the tall, white door of my new room as I sat down on the bed. It was rather small and there were questionable stains on the surfaces yet it would do. I mean I was in no place to storm back out and request a room more fit for a princess. I think ballet boy might have actuality cried if I got anymore defiant. 
“What?” I finally asked as I began to unpack, my clothes pouring out of my suitcase the second I undid the zip. "You've been acting creepy ever since that boy came into the picture

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter