Cross Paths

A Contract Wife
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ok Mansion…

 

It was a long tiring day for Park Shin Hye. Her mind and her body were totally drained with the long hectic day of work and her mother’s dialysis section in the hospital. By the time she reached Ok Taec Yeon’s house in the evening, she was already very tired and worn out. But no matter how tired she was, she has to force herself to stay attentive and maintain a smile on her face.

Having dinner with Taec Yeon’s parents, Ok Seung Hoon and Song Ga Young is not something that Shin Hye could take it easily. It has been four years since she dated Taec Yeon and tonight was only the fifth time she met his parents. And each time the meeting would end up with Shin Hye feeling breathless and extremely pressured. For them, a daughter of an owner from a medium scale enterprise is not good enough for their son. Taec Yeon is the only son in the family and also the sole heir of OK Corporation, one of the top five construction companies in South Korea. And because of their high-class status, his parents has been very unhappy with their relationship all this while.

Things were still under control when Shin Hye lives in Busan and Taec Yeon live in Seoul. But since she moved to Seoul three months ago, she started to feel the pressure each time she met them. And just like the previous four times, tonight’s dinner was another battle for Shin Hye to fight.

During the dinner, Shin Hye has been very quiet and tried her best not to attract any attention from them. She just obediently eating the food in front of her and let Taec Yeon talked with his father about their company’s matters. But after a while, Taec Yeon noticed her quietness and turned to look at her.

“Are you okay? You don’t like the food? You are very quiet.” He asked in concern.

Just when the questions came out from his mouth, Ok Seung Hoon and Song Ga Young’s eyes moved to Shin Hye. She stole a glance at both of them before she let out a light smile and nodded her head softly.

“Of course I’m okay. The food is very delicious.” She said.

“If it’s delicious then you have to eat more. You are too thin.” Ok Seung Hoon cut in.

Shin Hye turned to Taec Yeon’s father and let out another light smile. “Yes, abeonim.”

“So… how is your father’s business lately? I heard they are struggling with the lost of some big customers after moving to Seoul. It’s not easy to keep your customers and fight for new one here. The business is so much more competitive here compared to Busan. I hope he is doing fine.” Ok Seung Hoon said, but his voice doesn’t bring any concern or honesty. It felt more like just for the sake of asking.

Shin Hye creased her brows and was surprised with what she just heard. Her father’s business is facing problems? She never heard anything from him or her brother. “Hmmm… I’m not too sure.” She smiled embarrassedly. “I don’t interfere in my father’s business. He seldom talks about his work at home. But I’m sure he is doing fine.”

Ok Seung Hoon smirked. “Maybe he doesn’t want to make all of you worried about it. Especially with you mother’s condition now.”

Shin Hye’s expression slightly changed when he mentioned about her mother.

“But if your father really facing any problem, you can always ask for help from us. Helping a small company like this is not a problem for us at all.” He added.

Shin Hye wasn’t sure about others or maybe she is overly sensitive but she could clearly hear the sarcasm in his voice when he said that sentence. Forcing herself to stay unaffected, she smiled again and nodded. “Thank you, abeonim.” She said.

Song Ga Young shoot her husband a sharp stare before looking at Shin Hye and let out a smile that will send shiver down her spine. “I heard from uri Taec Yeon that today is your first day reported work at the new elementary school you transferred to. Is everything alright?”

A very soft sigh escaped Shin Hye’s lips when Taec Yeon’s mother started to talk. The last time she asked her about her job, it didn’t went too well. And every time when she talks to her, it always makes Shin Hye felt nervous.

She looked at Son Ga Young and smiled politely. “Yes, eomeonim. The teachers there are very helpful. My first day went very well and smoothly.”   

As if didn’t care with what Shin Hye just said, she continued to ask again. “Did you plan to further your studies or have any plan for career advancement?”

Here she goes again.

Shin Hye was taken aback by the sudden question and doesn’t know how to answer for a moment. She parted her lips and took a deep breath. “I’m very comfortable with my current job now. Teacher… is a very interesting job. And furthermore, working as a teacher gives me more time to take care of my mother. I don’t think I have any extra time to further studies at this moment.”

An unhappy expression was clearly written on Song Ga Young’s face when she heard Shin Hye’s reply. “Are you saying that you are planning to be a teacher for the rest of your life?” She asked with an unkind tone. “Even if you really love to teach so much, you can still upgrade yourself to be a lecture or a professor in university. It’s so much more better than just playing with kids in the school.”

Playing with kids in the school? Calm down. Don’t be angry. You can do it.

Shin Hye bit her lip as she stole a sideway glance at Taec Yeon, hoping for him to help her but as usual, he is not showing any sign of supporting her. He just kept quiet and listened to what his parents said. For him, his father and mother are always right. Taking another deep breath, Shin Hye decided not to back down this time.

“Teaching children is not playing. A person’s attitudes and behaviours have to start being educated since they are kids. Educating children is a very important and meaningful job. I love my job and I’m not planning to change it any time soon.” She said bravely. Fighting for the job that she loves since a very long time ago, she has nothing to fear about.

Song Ga Young’s face darkened further as her eyes were slightly reddened because of rage. She hates people disobey her instruction. “If you are not related to my son, I’m not interested at all with what job you want to do. But since you are dating him now, I think you should think about him too.” She paused and inhaled a sharp breath. “He is not an ordinary man at the street out there. Uri Taec Yeon will take over his father’s business sooner or later and become the next director of the OK Corporation. He is living in an upper class society that I know you are not familiar at all. Unless you didn’t take this relationship seriously, or else you shouldn’t be so selfish. I think you should improve yourself in order to assist Taec Yeon in the future and don’t embarrass him.”

Embarrassment, humiliation and shame were written all over Shin Hye’s pale face when Song Ga Young’s insults bitterly directed at her. Yes, she might not be as rich as them or live in an upper class society like them but she is very satisfied with the way she live her life and very proud of how her parents raised her. She doesn’t have anything that will embarrass anybody. Since she was a kid, her mother always taught her to be tolerant and respect others. No matter what other people talk about them, they have to stay calm and not to be angry. Song Ga Young is her elder and also the mother of her boyfriend. She should respect her and shouldn’t fight back. But she really felt offended and think she should stay firm with what she think it’s right. Teacher might not be a profession that could earn a lot of money but she think being a teacher is like being a role model to the children, the new generation and to the community. She has nothing to be shame about.

“Eomeonim… I think…” But just when Shin Hye tried to explain her stance, Taec Yeon held her hand under the table and stopped her sentence. She turned to him with a bewildered gaze in her eyes.

“Eomma, don’t worry about Shin Hye. She understands what you mean and she will know what to do. We know you care for us.” Taec Yeon said as he glanced at Shin Hye meaningfully, giving her a silent message to stay quiet. He then looked back at his mother with a smile. “Working as a teacher is just a short term plan. We already have our plan map out for the future. Eomma, don’t worry about us.” He assured her with another smile.

Shin Hye stared at her boyfriend in disbelief and a pang of disappointment hit her chest. She sighed silently and smirked inwardly. Why is she still feeling so surprise with what he just said? This is how he reacted whenever his parents attacked her. He will never stand up for her but will just obey obediently to what they said. She should be used to it already by now.

Is this the life she has to endure if she decides to be with him? Is this the life she wants? She doesn’t know. Her mind is so clouded and she is very tired to think of anything now.

Sorry, eomma. I couldn’t hold on anymore.

She knows it’s very rude if she leaves now but if she doesn’t get herself out from this place as soon as possible, she doesn’t know when she will explode. And she is not ready to do so today. At least for the sake of Taec Yeon, she will try to hang on a little longer.

Taking a deep breath before she forced a polite smile on her face, she turned to Taec Yeon’s parents. “I’m sorry, abeonim and eomeonim. I suddenly remember that I have something very important to do tonight and I have to leave now. Please excuse me and thank you for having me here tonight.” And without waiting for anyone there to react, she quickly stood up and walked towards the living to leave.

Taec Yeon was shocked and was stunned for a moment before he looked at his parents. “I-I think she need to rush back to take care of her mother since she had her dialysis this afternoon. I’ll… send her home.” He stood up of the chair, bowed at them and quickly chase after Shin Hye.

Song Ga Young parted her lips and chuckled sarcastically. “How can she act so rudely in front of the elders?”

Ok Seung Hoon smirked as he spooned a small mouthful of rice into his mouth. “I’m not surprise. This is how a low-class child was raised and will act.”

 

------------------------------------------------------------

 

Ok Mansion’s Car Porch…

 

After Shin Hye came out from Taec Yeon’s house, she marched straight towards the main gate without looking back. But before she could reach the gate, Taec Yeon who was chasing her from behind, held her arm to stop her.

“Shin Hye…”

Taec Yeon twirled her around to face him. “How can you just go off like this? Do you know it’s very rude to walk away in front of my parents? How are they going to think about you?”

Shin Hye stared at him and let out a weak smile. “They have already thought very badly about me. It cannot go any worse.” She paused and inhaled a deep breath. “I have self-conscious and know what level I’m belongs to.”

A helpless sigh escaped Taec Yeon’s lips as he let go of Shin Hye’s arm. “Are you angry at what my eomma said just now?”

“I’m not.” She just felt sad and disappointed that he didn’t stand up for her or protect her when his mother was humiliating her.

“If you are not angry, then why are you leaving?” He asked again.

Taking another deep breath, Shin Hye looked at him. “I’m just tired. My mother needs to go for dialysis three times a week. I was busy moving from Busan to Seoul and settle the school transfer stuff since last month.” She exhaled breathlessly. “I’m very tired and just want to rest. I still have to work tomorrow. I really don’t have the energy to… explain to your mother about why I love to be a teacher.” Although exhaustion is not the main reason for her to leave but she didn’t lie. She is too tired to fight in the war tonight.

Taec Yeon took a step closer and held her hand. “I know you are angry because of what my mother said. But… she doesn’t mean any harm. She just cares for you and love me.”

Love him, yes… but care for her, she don’t think so. Will you say something to humiliate someone you care? Shin Hye laughed silently. She wanted to tell her boyfriend that she is not angry. She just hope that whenever she was put into such a difficult situation, he could at least do something to support her and let his parents understand that he love her for who she is, and not because of her background. But before those words could come out from , Taec Yeon was faster and continued to speak.

“I know you are angry because my mother doesn’t like you to be a teacher. But she is your elder. You should be more tolerant and respect her even if you disagree with what she said. You shouldn’t show it on your face or fight with her.” Taec Yeon paused and looked into Shin Hye’s eyes. “She is not just my mother. She will also be your future mother in-law in the future. We will all stay under the same roof and live together. We should learn how to keep a peaceful environment between each other starting from now.”

Shin Hye held his gaze for a long moment and more disappointment hit her chest. Her mother in-law? His words already scare her. To be honest, she never thinks about marriage with him all this while. It’s too fast. But… is it really too fast? Or… she is not ready to marry him yet? They used to be very happy last time but why everything seems to change as time passed? She likes him… but the more she knows about him and his family, the more she felt suffocated.

“Don’t be angry, okay?” He said again.

“I said I’m not angry.” Shin Hye looked away. He still couldn’t understand the whole situation and thought she is angry. “I’m just tired. I’ll feel better when I get home.” She replied, pulled her hand away from him and turned around.

Taec Yeon held her arm to stop her again. She looked back at him and sighed deeply. “Let me go. I don’t want to fight with you.”

He heaved a deep sigh too. “At least… let me send you home.”

Shin Hye shook her head. “You haven’t finished your dinner yet. You better go in before your parents hate me even more.” She said and before Taec Yeon could protest again, she quickly ran towards the gate and disappeared in the dark, leaving a helpless Taec Yeon standing at the car porch.

 

----------------------------------------------------------

 

Roadside…

 

As Shin Hye slowly walked down the dark street heading to the taxi stand not too far away from Taec Yeon’s house, she was totally immersed in her deep thoughts and didn’t pay any attention to her surroundings. She was walking on the quiet and dark roadside with minimal lights. There were cars that pass by once in a while but it doesn’t seem to bother her at all.

The incident that happened in Taec Yeon’s house still affected her and she didn’t realize that her footsteps were slowly moving towards the car lane. And just then, a black colour car that came from the opposite direction doesn’t seem to notice Shin Hye and was heading towards her.

As the car got nearer, the driver of the car was frightened to see someone walking in the middle of the dark road and quickly pressed the horn to notify that person. When she didn’t react to the sound of the horn, he has no choice but to step on the brake urgently. The car came to a halt and hit Shin Hye. The driver quickly turned around to check his boss.

“Are you okay, sajang-nim?” He asked worriedly.

“What happened?” Min Ho asked in an annoyed tone.

“Someone was walking in the middle of the road and I think I hit him.” The driver replied.

Min Ho’s brows furrowed as he turned to the window to check but couldn’t see anything. He was reading something on his tablet and didn’t see anything just now. “Go down to take a look.” He instructed his driver.

The driver nodded before he opened the door and climbed down the car. As he walked to the front of the car, he was frightened to see a girl sitting there, holding her leg. It was too dark and he didn’t realize it was a girl until he saw her now.

“Agasshi, are you okay?” He asked as he squatted down beside her to check on her. Her knee is bleeding and has minor scratches on it. “You are bleeding.” He took a handkerchief out from his pocket and handed it to her.

Shin Hye took the handkerchief and pressed it against the wound to stop the blood before looking up at the man. She shook her head. “It’s just a minor injury. I’m okay.” Although said is okay but her eyes were tearing. Of course it’s not because of the pain on her leg but because of the pain in her heart. All those humiliations that Taec Yeon’s mother gave her come rushing into her emotion.

The driver became more worried looking at her uncontrollable tears. “Agasshi, I know it’s my fault that I hit you but… you shouldn’t walk in the middle of the road in the dark. It’s very dangerous. Luckily my car is not moving too fast.”

“I’m very sorry.” Shin Hye apologized as she tried to stand up. The driver held her arm and helped her to walk to the roadside. “I know it’s not your fault.” She was the one who walked out to the road mindlessly.

“Agasshi, are you sure you are okay? You might sprain your leg or something. Do you want to go hospital to check?” The driver asked in concern. He looked up at her face and pursed his lips when he saw her tears again. “You must be very painful.”

Shin Hye slowly realized that she was crying and the tears were already wet her face. She quickly wiped her tears away and let out an embarrass smile. It’s very dark and she couldn’t see him clearly. But by listening to his voice, she guessed the man is in his mid-forties and she think he is not a bad person. Her tears must have frightened him.

“I’m okay. It’s just some scratches. The blood will stop soon.” She said as she held the handkerchief up and looked at him with another embarrass expression. “I’m sorry. I’ll clean it…”

“It’s okay. You keep it.” The driver cut her off and glanced at her leg again. He is not very convinced that her leg is alright. “But your leg…” Just when the driver wanted to say something, a deep voice cut in and startled both of them.

“Any problem?” Min Ho asked from the car.

The driver quickly rushed to the car upon hearing his boss’s voice. “It was a girl that got hit and her leg is injured. Although it’s just a minor injury but I don’t think she can walk too much. Her knee is still bleeding. I offer to send her to the hospital but she refused to go. She insists that she is okay.” The driver paused and hesitated for a brief moment before he braved himself to ask. “Can we… send her home?”

Min Ho glanced down at his watch and it was almost 8pm now. He turned his head slightly to the side to look out the window. The road is very dark and he can only see the girl’s long hair through the car lights. Except for any urgent meeting, he never goes home later than 8pm every day. But don’t know what is wrong with him tonight. Just by looking at the fragile body that was standing outside in the dark, something softened his hard and makes him nodded, allowing his driver to send her home.

The driver smiled and ran back to Shin Hye after he got the permission from his boss. “Since you don’t want to go to the hospital, let me send you home then. My boss has already given me the permission to send you back.”

Shin Hye shook her head again. “I can go back myself. This is an accident and it’s not your fault. I’m the one who is not careful. I’m so sorry to bring you so much trouble.”

“No. Your leg is still bleeding and I don’t think you can walk now. Please let me send you back, agasshi.” The driver insists, and then glanced at the car before looking back at Shin Hye. “My boss is not a patient person. If you really don’t want to give me anymore trouble, then please get into the car before he lose his temper.”

Shin Hye turned to the car and think for a short moment. She could hear the anxiousness in his voice and by listened to the coldness that laced in his boss’s deep voice just now, she agreed that his boss is definitely not a patient person. She doesn’t want to cause him any problem either.

“Thank you.” She finally nodded.

The driver smiled and helped her to the car. “I hope you wouldn’t mind to sit in the front passenger seat. My boss doesn’t like to sit with stranger.”

“I don’t mind.” Shin Hye smiled at him.

The moment Shin Hye got into the car, a sweet and soothing scent fil

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter