Waiting

A Contract Wife
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

4 months later…

DCM Corporation’s Office…

 

“Oppa… What are you doing here?”

“I need to see him.”

“You can’t just go in like this. Let me inform sajang-nim first before you go in. He had a very long meeting this morning and he is very busy going through the contract now.”

“Do I need to make an appointment to see my best friend? If you inform him that I’m here, he will find an excuse to kick me out. I’ll just go in. Don’t worry. If he dare to scold you, I’ll kill him.”

“But… oppa…”

Lee Min Ho looked up from his laptop and let out an exasperated sigh the moment he heard the familiar and most annoying voice coming from the outside of his room. God knows how much efforts he put in to work on his impulsive emotions and become a patient man now. Although it’s not perfect yet but at least he won’t shout to whomever that annoyed him, especially in this four torturous months.

“Lee Min Ho!”

Yim Si Wan forcefully pushed the door open and stormed into Min Ho’s office with an anxious look on his face. He raced to his table and threw himself onto the chair in from of Min Ho. His gaze was sharp and glared directly at his best friend.

“You know it, don’t you?” He asked angrily.

Another deep sigh escaped Min Ho’s lips before his gaze slowly met Si Wan’s eyes. “What are you doing here? You are supposed to be in my house, having a private class with my son. Do you know how much I pay you for that job?”

“Don’t try to avoid my question with your smart mouth. You know it and you didn’t tell me.” Si Wan raised his voice, almost shouted at him.

Min Ho leaned against his chair with his arms crossed over his chest, staring at his best friend steadily. “Know what?”

“Park Shin Hye.” Si Wan leaned forward. “Do you know where she is?”

Park Shin Hye.

The moment when this name came out from Si Wan’s mouth, a slight pinch of pain erupted in Min Ho’s chest. It has been four months since the last time he saw her. How is she doing now? Is she eating well, sleeping well? Is she happy with her life now? Did she miss him like how much he missed her? And… is she still hurting?

“I ask you… do you know where she is?”

Si Wan’s voice broke the silence and shook him off from his deep thought. He took a deep breath and looked up at his annoying friend again. “Yes.”

“How do you know?” If not because Hyun Jun accidentally slipped the information out, he has no idea that everyone already know where Shin Hye is except him. Even Hyun Jun know about it.

“Did your patience finally wear off and decided to assign a private detective to check for you?” He narrowed his gaze sceptically. “It’s not possible that you know about it and I don’t. Her parents refused to tell us a single thing about it no matter how hard we begged them.”

Min Ho sighed deeply before he spoke again. “I already told you that I wouldn’t get anybody to find out where she is for me. Shin Hye doesn’t like it when I find someone to follow her. After the incident I found her in the hotel with Ok Taec Yeon, I promised her that I wouldn’t find private detective to check on her ever again. I don’t want to break my promise.” He paused and sighed again. “And her parents didn’t change their mind. They didn’t tell me anything.”

“Then how do you know about it?” Si Wan asked again.

Min Ho averted his gaze to the glass window where he could see Krystal’s place and pursed his lips. He considered for a short moment before he chose to be honest to him. “Your girlfriend told me.”

“What? Krystal told you?” Si Wan widened his eyes as he turned around and followed Min Ho’s gaze. He let out a deep, sharp exaggerated sigh before looking back at Min Ho. “This is so unfair. Even my girlfriend knows about it. How did she know and didn’t tell me?”

A small smirk slowly curled up Min Ho’s lips as he stared at Si Wan. “They are closer than you thought. And surprisingly, your girlfriend’s loyalty towards Shin Hye is unbelievable strong. She knows about it after Shin Hye moved to Busan a week later. She didn’t say a single word even she witness how much I suffer throughout these few months.” He moved his hand to his forehead and massaged his temples. “If not because I almost died from my headache a month ago, I think she won’t feel pity for me and told me everything.”

“A month ago? You mean… you know that Shin Hye is in Busan for a month?” Si Wan asked and his voice was almost shouting. “Then what are you doing here? You should be in Busan and bring your wife back.”

Min Ho held his gaze for a moment before he looked away and heaved a deep breath. “I need a little more time.”

“For what? You are wasting your time. Go to find her.” Si Wan pushed him further.

“It’s not as easy as you think. There are a lot of things that I need to settle and confirm before I go. I’m not ready yet.” Min Ho said in an annoyed tone.

“What? What’s there to settle and confirm anymore? Se Yeon is gone and will not be a problem in between both of you anymore. Everything is over now. What are you waiting for?” Si Wan was frustrated and doesn’t understand what is holding him back.

“Waiting for the right time.” Min Ho met his gaze again. “Not everything is over yet. Se Yeon will always stand in between us unless she really found her true happiness. And no matter what she has done behind us before this, I still treat her like a family. I want to see her happy and move on from her sadness.” He paused and bit his bottom lip.

“I don’t want to repeat the same mistake again. I don’t want to rush and end up… like now. The whole incident have already bring too much pain to Shin Hye. I don’t want to see her hurt again. This time… when we meet again… I want to be the right man for her. I want to be the man that deserve her and will never make her cry ever again.” His voice rang of certainty and determination.

“And how are you going to do that? How do you make sure Se Yeon will find her true happiness and move on? If she doesn’t find her happiness, are you going to just wait like this? Shin Hye will not stay there and wait for you forever.” Si Wan continued to argue and disagreed with him.

Min Ho shook his head and looked at him. “It won’t take too long. I’m confident that it will be very soon. I’m just waiting… for a call.”

“A call from who?” Si Wan asked in confusion.

A smile slowly spread across Min Ho’s face again. “A call from a man that could give Se Yeon her happiness.”

 

-------------------------------------------------------------

 

Lee Mansion…

 

“Welcome back, doryeon-nim.” Kang Chun Hwa greeted her boss as she took over his briefcase from him.

“Thank you.” Min Ho smiled as he looked around the house. A small and almost silent sigh escaped his mouth without him realizing it when he saw the huge but quiet living room right in front of his eyes. It was always like this since Se Yeon left and his father passed away. But one and a half year ago, this house has changed to a warm and cozy home. Everything became so different since Shin Hye moved in. But now… everything turned back to how it used to be.  

Taking a deep breath, he looked back at the old maid. “Where is Hyun Jun?”

“He has been in your room since Si Wan-sshi left after the dinner.”

“My room? What is he doing there?” He raised his brows. Hyun Jun has always hid himself in his room lately. Although he didn’t ask him but he knows it was because he missed Shin Hye and felt better to stay in a place where she used to stay before.

“He is reading a book… sitting on the couch that Shin Hye agasshi used to sit.” Kang Chun Hwa replied, smiling sadly. It pained her heart seeing how much Hyun Jun missed Shin Hye. Not only Hyun Jun but everyone in this house missed her too.

“I’ll go up to see him. It’s late now. You should sleep.” Min Ho said with a warm smile.

“Goodnight, doryeon-nim.”

“Goodnight, ahjuhma.”

~~~~~

Just as Min Ho reached upstairs and stood outside of his room, he gently knocked the door and pushed it open. He smiled when he saw his cute little son sitting on the couch that his wife used to sit and waited for him every night.

“Appa…” Hyun Jun straightened himself as his face was planted with a sweet smile.

Min Ho entered the room as he walked to Hyun Jun and sat down together with him. He looked at the book he was holding and asked curiously. “Ahjuhma said you have been here since dinner. What are you reading?”

Hyun Jun held the book up and smiled. “Endless Love. It’s a book about how a mother revolve and sacrifice for her son.” He flipped the book before looking back at his father again. “I found this book in the drawer of the bedside table. Eomma always read this book while waiting for appa to come home last time. She loves this book very much.”

Min Ho took the book from Hyun Jun’s hand and took a deep breath. He then placed it on the table beside the couch and turned back to Hyun Jun. “I’m sure she loves this book because she loves you.”

“I think so, too.” Hyun Jun smiled. “Although I don’t understand everything but I can feel the love of a mother for his son inside this book. It’s just like how much eomma love Hyun Jun.” He paused and smiled at his father. “Appa…”

“Hmmm?” Min Ho raised his brows.

“Do you miss eomma? I missed her a lot.” Hyun Jun said softly as he leaned over and rested himself in Min Ho’s chest.

“Of course I miss her.” Min Ho’s arms naturally wrapped around his tiny body.

“Then when are we going to find eomma?” Hyun Jun asked, looking up at him again. “We already know where is eomma. Why can’t we go to find her now?”

Min Ho stared into his eyes as he gently brushed his hair away from his forehead. “Have you forgotten what appa told you earlier? Even though we know where is eomma now but we can’t go to find her yet. She might still be very sad and angry with me.” He inhaled deeply before exhaling. “Appa know Hyun Jun missed eomma and can’t wait to see her again. But this time is very different from the time when she went back to abeoji’s house. This time… we have to be patient and make sure your Se Yeon eomma’s problem is settled before we go to find her.”

“Do you think… eomma is still angry with us? A day before she left, she came to see Hyun Jun in the hospital. She promised Hyun Jun that she would always love Hyun Jun no matter what happen. She said she like to be my mother.” He looked at Min Ho with his lips slightly pouted. “But why did she left without saying a word? It has been four months and she didn’t even call us.”

“It was appa’s fault. Appa thought we still have time and eomma will wait for us. Appa was too confident and neglected eomma’s feeling. She was hurting. She felt betrayed, she felt lonely, she felt like… we don’t want and don’t need her anymore.” He tried to explain and make his son understand. “But she was wrong. We want her, we need her and we love her. Because of her leaving us so sudden, it finally wakes appa up and make me realized that I have to make a decision immediately.”

“A decision that appa chose eomma and asked Se Yeon eomma to leave?” Hyun Jun looked at him.

Min Ho shook his head. “Appa didn’t choose eomma. It has never been a choice for appa. From the very beginning, from the first day appa decided to marry her, it has always been her.” He paused again and let out a long sigh. “And your Se Yeon eomma… appa didn’t ask her to leave. She was the one who chose to leave us six years ago.” He looked at his son and caressed his chubby cheek. “There is always something in life that it couldn’t turn back.”

Hyun Jun held his father’s gaze for a long moment before he slowly nodded his head. Although it’s not easy to understand the problems between the adults but he understand that it’s not possible for Se Yeon to continue to stay with them.

“Do you miss Se Yeon eomma?” Min Ho asked after a moment of silence.

Hyun Jun tilted his head and think for a while. He then looked back at Min Ho and nodded. “I missed her… but I missed eomma more. When Se Yeon eomma is here, she always stays with me, make me happy, make me laugh. She never scold me even if I did something wrong. I’m happy when she is around me. She is very different from eomma.” He smiled when Shin Hye’s face appeared in his mind. “Eomma talk to me, taught me a lot of things and even if I don’t understand or don’t agree with her, she will explain to me, make me understand and taught me what is right and what is wrong. Everything she said always sounded right.”

The smile on his face widened as he continued. “She is a teacher… a mother. If I can only choose one, I will choose eomma.” He paused and bit his lower lip. “But eomma said she won’t let me choose. She said we can’t choose our parents and no matter what they did, they are still my parents. So I listened to her. I don’t hate Se Yeon eomma even she lied to me. Even she is not here with Hyun Jun anymore, I can always call her and talk with her. She will always be Hyun Jun’s mother.”

Min Ho smiled too and nodded his head, agreed with what his son said. “That’s why appa love your eomma so much. Because no matter how much she was hurting, she will always think for others first. We are always the one she think first before herself.”

“Stupid woman.”

Min Ho and Hyun Jun blurted out the same words together. They looked at each other and laughed. Yes, Shin Hye is a stupid woman… their stupid woman.

With his arms enveloping tightly around Hyun Jun, he rocked his tiny body softly like he is still a baby.

“Appa…” Hyun Jun uttered as he looked up at Min Ho. “Promise Hyun Jun that you will bring eomma back.”

Min Ho pressed his lips to Hun Jun’s forehead and closed his eyes. He nodded and whispered softly.

“Appa promise. Appa will definitely bring eomma back to us.”

 

------------------------------------------------------------

 

Study Room…

 

After Hyun Jun was asleep, Min Ho went to his study room to finish some of his work. But after the conversation he had with Hyun Jun just now, he just couldn’t bring himself to concentrate on anything.

He opened the drawer under the table and took an envelope out. He opened it and there was a document and a diamond ring inside. It was the separation paper and the wedding ring that Shin Hye left in the room on that day she disappeared.

~~~~~

Four months ago…

Lee Mansion…

 

Se Yeon sat quietly in the living room and started biting her nails as she waited nervously, waiting for Min Ho to come back. It took her an hour to think, to consider whether she should call him or not. She wanted to just pretend she didn’t see Shin Hye leaving and when Min Ho find out about it later tonight, everything will be too late.

But… everything that Shin Hye said before she left makes her heart felt uncomfortable. For the first time in this few months, she felt… guilty. Not because of Shin Hye but because of Hyun Jun, her poor son that she left when he was just a baby. She never thought she would have the courage to see him again but because of her daughter’s death, she came back and has a chance to know him, to love him. But did she love him wholeheartedly? No. Like what Shin Hye said, she was just using him as a bargain chip, used him to tear them apart and get back what she wants. She is very selfish. Each and every word that Shin Hye said was right and hit right into her tiny remaining guilty conscience.   

And without realizing it, she took the phone up and called Min Ho. She doesn’t know why she did that but she just thought maybe Min Ho would still forgive her if he knows about everything one day.

When the door burst open and Min Ho ran into the house with an anxious expression, she quickly stood up and met his dangerous gaze.

“Where is she?” He asked.

“I… I don’t know. She… she just said she is leaving. She didn’t tell me where she go.” Se Yeon replied in a shaky voice.

Without wasting time to ask another question, Min Ho ran up the stairs and rushed to his room. The moment he entered the room and saw Shin Hye’s wedding ring lying on top of the dressing table, his heart immediately dropped straight into the pit of stomach.

When he received the call from Se Yeon in the office just now, his mind suddenly went blank and didn’t know how to react. What does she mean of Shin Hye has left? They were still talking in the room this morning. She was still in his embrace just now. Her sweet scent, her beautiful features were still intact in his mind, as if she was still there with him.

But Se Yeon didn’t lie. She left... she left the house, she left Hyun Jun and… she left him. So, this is the reason why she looked so strange this morning before he went to the office. She told him that she love him. But why… why did she leave if she loves him?

A soft sarcastic chuckle slowly escaped his lips as his eyes were staring at the wedding ring. What a stupid question? Which woman in this world could stand to see her husband taking care of his ex-wife right in front of her? Which woman could stand her husband being so selfish and didn’t think about her feeling at all? Ok Taec Yeon was right. She had reached the limit and it was his foolishness that covered his eyes, thinking that he still has time and she will wait for him.

Gently taking the ring and envelope up, he carefully pulled the document out from it with his trembling hand. A sharp, piercing pain flared up and stabbed into his chest upon seeing the separation paper he was holding. His eyes moved down to the bottom of the paper and she had already signed on it. She didn’t leave because she was angry or because she needs some time to be apart. This time… she left because she doesn’t want him, doesn’t want this marriage anymore.

“She left about an hour ago.” Se Yeon walked in and her voice broke the intense silence in the room. “I think… she is still in Seoul. Maybe… you can try to find her in her parents’ house.”

“Did she say anything to you before she left?” Min Ho asked without turning around to face her.

“She… she just gave me this before she go.” She lied as she walked closer to Min Ho and put the silver bangle on the dressing table.

Min Ho’s gaze dropped down to the silver bangle and a sharp breath escaped his lips. She even gave this back to him. Does it mean she wanted to forget everything about them in the past too?

He closed his eyes for a brief moment, unable to breathe and couldn’t believe that she really left him. With his eyes fluttered open again, he turned around and rushed towards the door.

“Where are you going?” Se Yeon asked from behind.

“I’ll go to look for her. Don’t tell Hyun Jun about it yet.” Min Ho stopped as he turned around to look at her. “And… I’ll ask ahjuhma to take care of him in the hospital tonight. You stay here and wait for me. I have something to talk to you.”

Se Yeon held his gaze as she nodded softly. She could sense it through his eyes that something is coming. But no matter what, she will not let go easily this time. She will fight for him, fight for her happiness.

~~~~~

Park’s Residence…

 

The moment Min Ho arrived at Shin Hye’s house; he knows they already know what is going on. The maid that used to smile and was now glaring at him while waiting for Park Beom Seok to come out from the house. They don’t even let him to go in.

“Annyeonghaseyo, abeonim.” Min Ho gave his father in-law a 90 degrees bow when he finally came out to see him at the garden.

“Why are you here?” Park Beom Seok asked coldly.

“I’m looking for Shin Hye.”

Park Beom Seok let out a sarcastic smile. “You are very weird. Shin Hye is your wife. You should know where she is and not come here to look for her.”

Min Ho inhaled a deep breath and looked at the older man. “She left this morning… leaving a separation paper and her wedding ring in the room. She didn’t say anything and just… left.” His voice was soft as he tried to hold back his pain.

“And why do you think a gentle and responsible woman like her will do that to you?” Park Beom Seok’s words were sharp and stabbed directly into his heart.

Min Ho looked at him and heaved a deep sigh. “I know it’s my fault. I hurt her and…”

“It’s not your fault. It was my fault.” Park Beom Seok cut him off and his expression was as painful as Min Ho. “Because of my company, because of my uselessness… my daughter has to sacrifice herself to sign a contract with you in order to help me. And because of my selfishness, I didn’t bother to ask why she suddenly decided to marry a man that she barely know.” He chuckled sadly. “How can I blame it on you when it was my fault for all this to happen? It was my fault as a father that I didn’t protect her. She was hurt because of me.”

Min Ho shook his head fiercely as he took a step closer. “No, abeonim. I… I admit it was a deal at the beginning but… I really love your daughter. The contract… it meant nothing to us when we fell in love with each other. It was indeed a mistake that we started this marriage with a deal, with a contract but… everything has changed and she is my wife now. I love her for who she is and it has nothing to do with the contract.”

“But besides her, you still have another woman to take care of.” Park Beom Seok pointed out and stared sternly into his eyes. “I don’t care she is your son’s mother or she is sick or whatsoever. I just care for my daughter. You hurt her because of that woman. Do you expect her to accept that her husband’s heart still love and care for another woman? She is generous enough to accept a son that doesn’t belong to her. She love him like her own even if it’s not her responsibility to do so.” He paused and tried to catch his breath, tried to calm himself down.

“I know by divorcing you it means Shin Hye have to breach the contract and pay you back the compensatory damages. Please give me some time to find the money. I’ll pay you back on my daughter’s behalf.” He said as he looked away.

“I won’t take a single penny from you.” Min Ho muttered firmly. “Abeonim, I already said it very clearly that my relationship with Shin Hye has nothing to do with money anymore. The contract was void and no longer exists. Nobody needs to pay anything because I won’t let her go. I won’t sign the damn paper.” He exclaimed, almost losing his control.

Taking a very deep inhale of breath, Min Ho looked at the older man again. “Abeonim, please believe me. I really love her.” His voice softened and it sounded like begging now.

“If you really love her, then let her go.” Park Beom Seok said, looking at him with a pleading gaze too. “I know for you to find her it’s just as easy as snapping your fingers… but if you really love her as what you claimed, then you should give her a break from all the mess that was created by you. She doesn’t deserve all this. You know her. If not because she couldn’t stand it anymore, do you think she will just run away from you without a word?” He paused and sighed deeply. “She loves you too. I can see how much it hurts her to make the decision of leaving you.”

Min Ho pursed his lips and felt his chest explode with a sharp and stabbing agony. How can he not know how much it must have hurt her for making such a decision? No matter what happened to them, nothing could deny her love for him. It has started since the first time she saw him in the orphanage years ago.

“I’m sorry. I’m really sorry.” He closed his eyes, trying to endure the pain in his tightened chest.

“Don’t apologize to me. You owe her an apology, not us.” Park Beom Seok breathed deeply before meeting his eyes again.

“If you are a man… please be decisive and truthful to your heart for once. Choose the one you love the most and prove your heart to her. Actions speak louder than words. We can apologize over and over again, but if your actions don’t change, then the words will become meaningless. Don’t promise… just prove.”

 

------------------------------------------------------------

 

DCM Corporation’s Office…

 

Min Ho looked up from his laptop and turned to the ringing phone on the table before answering the call. It was Krystal on the line.

“Sajang-nim, there is a call from Taiwan looking for you. He addressed himself as Mr Kim.”

Kim Soo Hyun?

“Okay. Transfer the line to me.” Min Ho said as he closed his laptop.

“Noted.”

Within seconds, a soft beep was heard before the line was transferred to him.

“I’m Kim Soo Hyun.”       

“I know.” Min Ho replied upon hearing the familiar voice. “How’s everything? How’s she?”

“Thanks to you, the business deal was closed successfully and my company out from danger now.”

A deep breath was heard from the other side of the line before he continued to speak.

“As for Se Yeon… she is doing great. It has been three months since she came back to Taiwan and everything was good. She found a job in a nursery school, taking care of the children there. She seems happy and enjoyed her work. I went to see her yesterday and surprisingly, we had a very… peaceful conversation and… she doesn’t hate me as much as before. I guess it’s a good start.”

Min Ho smiled slightly. “Good to know.”

“We talked about you.”

“What is there to talk about?” He sighed silently.

“A lot. We talked about how much you loved her, how you protected her, taking care of her when both of you were stayi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter