The Forgotten Memory

A Contract Wife
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Park Residence…

 

“Yes, I love her… very much.”

Park Shin Hye’s lips parted as her eyes grew wider than they already were. She knows three of them grew up together in the same orphanage and were best friends but she didn’t know Si Wan was in love with Se Yeon too.

Si Wan chuckled at Shin Hye’s frightened expression. “I know what you are thinking but no. It’s not what you imagined. I was… indeed in love with Se Yeon but… it was a very long time ago. I mean… when I first arrived Light House Orphanage, beside Min Ho, she was the only one who cares for me. Even though I was just seven years old at that time but… that feeling I had for her was very special.”

“Did Min Ho oppa know about it?” Shin Hye asked cautiously.

Si Wan nodded. “Of course he knows. He is my best friend. He understands me as much as I understand him. He knows exactly how I feel for his wife.” He paused and smiled at Shin Hye. “Can you understand why he asked you to stay away from me? He doesn’t feel comfortable when both of us is too close because he said I always like what he likes.”

Shin Hye smiled too. “You might like what he likes but I’m sure I’m not one of it.”

Si Wan laughed. “He will not believe me even if I tell him that I just treat you like my mother.” 

Shin Hye let out another light smile before it faded and looked seriously at him. “Even you were in love with Se Yeon, I know you will never do anything to hurt him.”

The smile on Si Wan’s face faded too as he held her gaze and slowly nodded his head. “Yes, even though I was in love with Se Yeon, it will never affect my friendship with him. After Se Yeon married him, I told myself that I should wake up from the dream.” He paused and let out a weak smile. “I don’t deny it breaks my heart when Se Yeon chose him but I’m happy for them. After they got married, my feeling for her… is like a family.”

“No wonder you love Hyun Jun so much. Because… you treat him as your family too.” Shin Hye said with a smile.

Si Wan shook her head softly. “I love him not only because of Se Yeon. It’s because of Min Ho too.” He inhaled a deep breath and looked at Shin Hye. “I think I never mention to you how I ended up staying in Light House Orphanage after my mother passed away.”

Shin Hye shook her head. She knows he went in later than Min Ho and he still have very intact memories about his mother but she never asks him before.

Taking another deep breath, Si Wan started his story. “My father was an alcoholic. He loves to drink, gamble and… hurt his family. Whenever he was drunk or need money to gamble, he will come home, hit my mother and forced her to give him all the money. When my mother refused to give him, he will grab anything that he could find and just hit us with that. As time passed, when I was around seven years old, my mother couldn’t take it anymore. She was psychically and mentally tortured by him.” He paused again and heaved a sharp intake of breath. “One day, out of a sudden, she bought me my favourite toy and later brought me to a river and said something very weird to me. She said no matter what happened in the future, I have to be strong, have to be happy and don’t let the past affect my life. At that time, I don’t understand what she was talking about. I was just busy playing with the new toy she bought. And when I heard something dropped into the water, the next thing I know, my mother was gone.”

Shin Hye creased her brows and looked at him with a sympathy gaze. “S-She… she killed herself?”

Si Wan nodded. “I saw her struggling in the water but I don’t know what to do. I just scream, cried and almost fell into the river too. But at that time, someone grab my hand and pulled me back to the ground.”

“It was… Min Ho oppa?” Shin Hye guessed.

“Yes.” Si Wan smiled. “It was him. That river that my mother killed herself was just behind Light House Orphanage. Even though we are at the same age, but he was very calm. He told me to sit down under a tree, asked me to wait for him and he will come back to save my mother. And he did come back. He brought some people from the orphanage and they pulled my mother out from the water.” He clenched his jaw as his heart still ached recalling that scene. “But it was too late. She was already dead.”

Shin Hye felt her eyes sting with tears. “I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be.” Si Wan smiled slightly. “To be honest, I was glad with her choice. Although killing herself was not a right way to solve the problem but at that time, it seems like that was the only way she had to escape my father.”

Letting out a long sigh, Shin Hye looked at him. “What happened then? Where is your father?”

Si Wan shrugged his shoulders. “After my mother passed away, the child welfare team tried to find him but they couldn’t locate him. I don’t have any other relatives that could take care of me and that was how I ended up in Light House Orphanage.”

“Maybe it was fate, I was arranged to sleep in the same double decker bed with Min Ho. He knows I was very sad with my mother’s death and he took very good care of me. And since then, he has become my closet friend.” He chuckled softly, thinking back their life at the orphanage. “He was already very cold and arrogant at that time. He doesn’t simply show his concern for other people even if he cares. But Se Yeon was an exceptional, an exceptional for both of us. We love her so much that we don’t care what she did was right or wrong, we will always be there to protect her. I adores her, he spoiled her… and that was how we grew up, loving the same woman.”

Shin Hye smiled as she looked away. “Se Yeon is very lucky.”

Si Wan heaved a deep sigh. “I don’t know is this consider as lucky or not. She was only 19 years old when she found out that she was pregnant. Min Ho’s father doesn’t like her and Min Ho was busy with work. She was left at home alone most of the time and with Hyun Jun still a baby, she was… almost devastated. She was helpless and didn’t know how to cope with everything at her young age.”

Shin Hye looked back at Si Wan with a cautious gaze. “I heard that she was suffered with depression when Hyun Jun was 2 years old. D-Did she… killed herself?”

Si Wan held her gaze for a long moment before he slowly nodded. “She did. That night when I received the call Min Ho saying that she was in ER, which was also the first time we fought. I blamed him for not taking good care of Se Yeon.”

“And… she died when she was in the hospital?” Shin Hye asked again.

Si Wan looked at her for another brief moment before he averted his gaze and inhaled deeply. “Yes.”

“He must be very sad and blame himself for her death.” Shin Hye said sadly.

“He was angry with himself for not spending more time with her and destroyed their happiness with his own hand. And since then, his behaviour has worsened even more. He was always angry with people around him and never trusts anybody. Except for Hyun Jun, he just hates almost everyone.” Si Wan said as he looked at Shin Hye again. “I know being with a man like him is not easy but you have to understand that his character was caused by the way he grown up and all the humiliations he has to endure when he was still an orphan. Not everyone in this world is so kind like you and your mother. Not everyone will feel pity and feel sorry for orphans. His suspicion, his arrogance, everything was just a way for him to protect himself.”

“But you are different.” SI Wan added again.

Shin Hye looked at him and smiled weakly. “What is so different about me? He doesn’t trust me. He also think that I love him because of his money.”

“That was because he doesn’t know anything. You didn’t tell him the whole story and your real identity. He is very stupid when it comes to relationship. If you don’t tell him every single detail, he won’t understand.” Si Wan paused and looked into Shin Hye’s eyes. “You are not only different. You are a very special woman for him too. I’ve never seen him being so serious towards a woman. Yes, of course Se Yeon was an exceptional but even when he fought with her last time, he will never do anything to apologize to her. He will just let her calm down by herself. But see what he did for you. He was so anxious and couldn’t focus on his work at all.” Si Wan moved his gaze to the yellow roses in the vase that was sitting on the dining table. “You are absolutely the first woman to receive his flowers. Lee Min Ho will never do that unless he really care and love that person.”

Shin Hye followed his gaze and looked at the roses too. To be frank, her heart has started to soften but the lingering stubbornness inside of her refused to give in this time. Her mother was right. She wasn’t being honest to him either but… she just doesn’t understand why is it so hard for him to trust her. Wasn’t her action all this while was obvious to him? If she doesn’t love him, what is she doing in his house, doing so many things to take care of him and his son? How can he still doubt her love for him?

“Forgive him.”

She turned back to the front and looked at Si Wan when he spoke again.

“I know he is an annoying idiot but…” He paused and smiled. “… I’m sure this idiot really loves you a lot. Don’t torture him anymore. Give him another chance, okay?”

Shin Hye bit her lip and let out a deep sigh.

~~~~~

On the other hand, the moment Hyun Jun entered the room with Han Ae Jung, his large eyes immediately widened in surprise, looking at the huge machine in her room. He never saw something like this before. And there were a lot of medicines on the table too.

After Han Ae Jung lied down on the bed, Hyun Jun took a seat on the bed beside her. “Halmeoni, what is this?” He asked pointing at the machine.

“This machine is used for halmeoni to do dialysis.” Han Ae Jung explained with a smile.

“Dialysis? What is dialysis?” Hyun Jun asked as his head tilted to the side in confusion.

“Dialysis is… something to clean the dirty blood in halmeoni’s body. And this machine can help halmeoni to do it.” Han Ae Jung replied.

“Why do you need the machine to clean your blood?” He asked again.

“Hmmm… because halmeoni is sick. For healthy people like Hyun Jun, you have your kidneys to clean your blood for you. But for halmeoni, the kidneys inside my body are sick and I need this machine to help me.” She tried to explain in the simplest way possible for him to understand.

Hyun Jun slowly nodded and looked at her. “So… that’s why halmeoni have to eat a lot of medicine to treat your sick kidneys and eomma came back to take care of you.”

Han Ae Jung smiled. Shin Hye was right. Hyun Jun is a smart kid. “Yes.”

“But halmeoni…” Hyun Jun looked at her with a serious gaze. “… can you let eomma go home and let Hyun Jun to replace eomma taking care of you? I can talk to seonsaeng-nim to have my private class at night so that I can take care of you after school. Then eomma can go home and stay with us again.” He said childishly. “Hyun Jun promise halmeoni that I’ll take very good care of you. I’ll do anything as long as halmeoni let eomma go back.” He paused and pouted his lips adorably. “I missed eomma very much.”

Han Ae Jung smiled again as she reached out and his cute chubby cheeks. “Why do you like her so much?”

“Of course I like her. She is my eomma.” Hyun Jun replied straightaway.

“But she is not the person who give birth to you. She is only your stepmother.” Han Ae Jung said.

“But she is a good stepmother. She doesn’t treat me like Cinderella and she loves me a lot. She will cook delicious food for me, she will play with me, she teach me piano, sing songs to me, and she will read bedtime story to me before I sleep every night. Although eomma is very fierce sometimes but she will smile back very easily when I say sorry. I love to see her smile, I love to hear her voice, I love her soft hand touching my face. Just like how halmeoni touch me now. Eomma looks like halmeoni. I love both of you and I asked eomma to bring you home to stay with us. But eomma said halmeoni have to stay here because harabeoji is here and he will miss you if you stay with us. Then eomma have to go home with us too because appa is at home waiting for her and miss her too.” He said, trying very hard to make Han Ae Jung understand what he wants.

The smile on Han Ae Jung’s face widened as she gently pulled Hyun Jun closer to her. She took his hand and looked at him. “Hyun Jun-ah… you don’t need to worry about halmeoni. Although I’m sick but your appa already find an ahjuhma to take care of me. I don’t need your eomma or you to take care of me.”

Hyun Jun’s brows furrowed and shook his head. “But eomma said she come back to take care of you.”

Han Ae Jung shook her head too. “She came back because she is sad.”

Hyun Jun quickly straightened himself and looked at Han Ae Jung worriedly. “Eomma is sad? Why? Hyun Jun love her so much. She should be happy, not sad.”

“But in order for her to be happy completely, just only Hyun Jun who love her is not enough. Your appa have to love her too.” Han Ae Jung said.

“Appa love eomma too.” Hyun Jun said, defending his father. “Appa was so sad when eomma left the house that day. Krystal noona said appa have no mood to work these few days and have headache again.”

“Chincha?” Han Ae Jung narrowed her gaze. “But it seems like your eomma doesn’t know your appa love her. She thought your appa doesn’t love her and she is very sad about it.”

Hyun Jun shook his head fiercely. “Eomma is wrong. Hyun Jun is very sure appa love eomma. I have to tell eomma that she is wrong. I need to tell her that appa love her so that she will come home with us.” He said urgently and wanted to jump down of the bed but before he could do so, Han Ae Jung held his hand to stop him.

“Your eomma will not believe you. She will only believe if your appa tell her.” Han Ae Jung said and smiled at him. “Hyun Jun-ah… do you really want eomma to go home with you?”

Hyun Jun nodded his head vigorously.

“Then you have to do something for halmeoni.” Han Ae Jung said

Hyun Jun nodded again and stared at the older woman with an expectant gaze.

“Ask your appa come here to see me tomorrow.”

 

---------------------------------------------------------------

 

Lee Mansion…

 

Min Ho came back slightly earlier tonight after he ended the meeting and told them to continue again tomorrow. Since Shin Hye left the house one week ago, he has been having bad headaches due to lack of sleep. No matter how tired he was and how hard he tried to sleep, his mind just wouldn’t comply with his body. And all the painkillers he took just wouldn’t stop the pain in his head. The headache got worse after Si Wan called him and said Shin Hye still refused to come back after he brought Hyun Jun to see her this afternoon. If even Hyun Jun couldn’t make her to come back, he doesn’t know what else he could do anymore.

He slowly walked up the stairs with his head spinning and when he finally reached his room, he was surprised to see Hyun Jun and Kang Chun Hwa inside the room. There were candles lighting on the bedside table and the cabinet, and the soothing lavender smell was all over the room.

“Appa…” Hyun Jun ran towards him the moment he saw his father.

Min Ho forced a smile and looked down at him. “What are you doing here?”

“Krsytal noona called me just now and told me you are coming home. We are getting ready the room for you to sleep.” Hyun Jun said.

“What?” Min Ho asked as he looked at Kang Chun Hwa, waiting for her to explain what his son was talking about.

The maid, who was slipping a pillow into a pillowcase, turned to him and gave him a warm smile. “Agasshi know you are having headache. She called and asked me to prepare all these for you. She said doryeon-nim need to take a hot bath with some peppermint essential oil to make your body relax. Those aromatic candles will calm your mind down and good for your headache.” She paused and held up the pillow she was holding. “And this... a lemon grass pillow. It’s a therapeutic pillow that could calm the nervous system, relieves insomnia, lessen stress and reduces mental fatigue.”

“Yes. Eomma purposely went out to buy this pillow for you when I went to visit her today.” Hyun Jun cut in, looking at his father. “She said appa have headaches because you work too hard and doesn’t sleep well at night. This pillow can make appa sleep better.”

Min Ho slowly walked towards Kang Chun Hwa and took the pillow from her. Hugging it tightly in his arms, he buried his nose into the soft fabric and inhaled into the soothing lemon scent. It felt really strange. The throbbing pain in his head has suddenly subsided a little. His lips slowly curled up into a soft smile. He knows it was not the pillow that makes him better. It was the person who bought this pillow that makes him feel better.

Kang Chun Hwa smiled and secretly gave Hyun Jun a silent high five before looking back at her boss again. “Doryeon-nim, the hot water is ready. You should take a hot bath before you sleep. I’ll go down to make some lemon water for you. Agasshi said it could make you feel better.”

Min Ho put the pillow on the bed and turned to Kang Chun Hwa. He smiled at her. “Thank you.”

 

After about thirty minutes, Min Ho came out from the bathroom and saw Hyun Jun lying in his bed, hugging the pillow that Shin Hye bought for him. He smiled and walked towards the bed.

“That’s my pillow. My wife bought it for me.” Min Ho said, teasing his son.

“Appa.” Hyun Jun smiled widely when he saw his father walking towards him.

Min Ho took a seat on the bed and looked at him. “What are you still doing here? It’s late now. You should go back to your room to sleep.”

Hyun Jun pulled himself up and pointed at the lemon water on the bedside table. “Eomma said you have to drink that before you sleep. I have to make sure you finish it.”

Min Ho smirked before taking the cup up and took a big sip. The refreshing sour taste of the lemon water makes his exhausted mind feel so much better.

“Appa… can Hyun Jun sleep here with appa tonight?” Hyun Jun asked in a sudden.

Min Ho put the empty cup on the table before looking at his son. He was surprised with his request. This was the first time he wanted to sleep with him.

“Wae?” He asked curiously as he pulled his son into his arms, rocking him softly like a baby.

“Because I can smell eomma’s scent in this bed.” Hyun Jun said, looking up at his father. “I miss eomma. It felt like sleeping with her in this bed.”

Min Ho heaved a deep sigh as he tightened his arms around him. “I’m sorry.”

“Wae?” Hyun Jun asked in confusion.

“Because appa is a bad person. I make eomma sad and left us. And now, Hyun Jun is sad too.” Min Ho replied in a painful voice. Hyun Jun has always dream to have a complete home. But because of his stupidity, he made the same mistake again. He makes his son lost his mother for the second time.

Hyun Jun pulled back slightly and looked at his father. “Hyun Jun love eomma a lot. I want her to stay here together with us forever. Appa… do you love eomma?” He asked the question that Han Ae Jung asked him today. Although he doesn’t quite understand what love is all about but he knows he likes Shin Hye and he wants her to be with them. He thinks his father feels the same too.

Min Ho held Hyun Jun’s gaze and slowly moved his hand to his cheeks and gently his soft skin. From the day he told Shin Hye that he will take care of her forever, from the day he bought the ‘Inseparable Love’ bangle for her, he was already sure about his feeling for her. And also because of this reason, he felt extremely hurt and jealous when he found her in the hotel room with Ok Taec Yeon. He was angry that she lied to him and thought she betrayed him. But he was wrong this time. She didn’t betray him. But after what he did to her, he wasn’t sure she would still forgive him this time.

“I love her.” He replied in a certain tone.

Hyun Jun smiled. “Then appa have to tell eomma you love her.”

Min Ho let out another deep sigh. “I’m scared it’s too late now. Your eomma is very angry with appa.”

Hyun Jun shook his head, disa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter