A New Beginning

A Contract Wife
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Bride’s Room, Church…

 

“My daughter is so beautiful.”

Park Shin Hye looked up and saw her mother through the mirror. A soft smile curled up her lips before she stood up and walked to the couch where her mother was sitting. She reached for her hand and grasped it tightly in hers.

“I’m beautiful because I have a very beautiful eomma.” Shin Hye said as she glanced down at their hands and gave her a soft squeeze. “Eomma, your hands are freezing. Are you really okay? I can ask the driver to send you home if you are not feeling well.”

Han Ae Jung smiled as she shook her head. “How can you send eomma home on your wedding day?” She exhaled a long breath before she moved her hand to her daughter’s face and caressed her tenderly. “Eomma have been waiting for today for a long time. When you were still a child, I always worried that you will not grow up healthily. But when you already grown up, I was worried that you will get hurt by the one you love. Eomma’s health has been very bad since you were so young. You suffered a lot by taking care of me. As a mother, I didn’t do a good job to take care of you. Now you have found the man that love you, eomma hope he will take very good care of you.”

Shin Hye bit down on her bottom lip, trying to suppress the tears she felt welling in her eyes. She can’t let it drop. She can’t ruin her makeup. But what her mother said brought a wave of guilt crashing down on her. He wouldn’t take care of her because… he doesn’t love her.

Taking a sharp intake of breath, she tightened her grip around Han Ae Jung’s hand and forced a light smile on her face. “He will.” She lied.

But then, a soft breathy sigh escaped Han Ae Jung’s lips. “But why didn’t you tell us that he has a son? Being a stepmother is not easy.” She said in a worried tone.

“We are different.” Shin Hye assured her with a smile. “Hyun Jun is one of my students in my school. His mother… passed away when he was just a baby. He doesn’t have much memory of his mother and… surprisingly, we get along very well. He likes me… and I like him too. Although I have never been a mother before and I don’t know how it should be but… I’ll try my best to love him, educate him and take care of him. You saw him just now, right? He is an adorable boy. And…” She paused and smiled again. “… he was the one who indirectly brought me to him.”

Han Ae Jung smiled too when she saw the sweetness spread across her daughter’s face. “Your silver bangle boy.”

Shin Hye nodded. “I never thought… I could see him again. And… I’ll become his wife today.” She knows this marriage was just a business deal but a part of her still feel happy that she could marry to him. Although no one in this world could replace Jin Se Yeon in his heart, but still she secretly hope that one day this marriage will turn real.

“Then why didn’t you tell him that you met him once fourteen years ago?” Han Ae Jung asked curiously.

“B-Because…” Shin Hye held her head down.

Because he hates me. He hates the girl that he thought she just pretends to be generous and kind. He hates the girl who took the silver bangle away from the girl he love.   

She took a deep breath and looked up at her mother. “Because I want him to love me for who I am now and not because of the little girl that he might not even remember.” She lied. “Eomma…” She squeezed her hand softly. “Don’t worry about me, okay? I promise you…” She paused and bit her lip. “I’ll be happy.”

Han Ae Jung slowly nodded her head as tears welled in her eyes.

“Don’t cry. Today is a happy day. You should smile.” Shin Hye said. “Eomma… when I’m not around, you have to take care of yourself and listen to ahjuhma. I will still come home to bring you to the hospital for your treatment. But… I won’t be at home so frequent like last time. If you feel not well anywhere, you have to tell ahjuhma and ask her to call me right away. Don’t make me worried about you. Arasso?” She reminds her in a worried tone.

“Arasso…” Han Au Jung let out a soft chuckle. “Do you think eomma is still a kid? Don’t worry about eomma. Your appa and oppa will take care of me.”

Shin Hye heaved a deep sigh. “They are always not at home. And even if appa stays at home with you, he is not young already. I’m worried about him too. As for oppa…” She paused and another sigh escaped her lips. “Even without work, he never stays at home more than an hour. He is not reliable at all.”

Just when Han Ae Jung wanted to say something, the door was opened and Park Hae Jin stepped into the room with an unsatisfied look. He gave his sister a sharp glare before he spoke. “I thought your husband is suppose to be very caring and love you. There are so many rich people out there. He should at least introduce us to them and help us to get some business. He just stood there with his freaking cold face.”

Shin Hye stared at her brother as she sighed helplessly. “This is a wedding, not a business meeting. Those people who came today are guests. And moreover, he doesn’t have the responsibility to help you with anything.”

He has already help enough.

“Ah, chongmal.” Hae Jin scoffed as he turned to Han Ae Jung. “Eomma, look at your daughter. She only think about her husband now.”

Shin Hye stood up and glared at him. “If I only think about my husband, do you think you…” She held her tongue and forced the remaining words swallowed down . She nearly let the company’s problem slipped out .

“Hae Jin-ah. Please behave yourself and stop talking nonsense. Today is your sister’s wedding. You should at least respect her and don’t create any problem.” Han Ae Jin scolded her son.

Hae Jin widened his eyes in anger. “I create problem? I’m just trying to…”

“Is there any problem here?”

Before Hae Jin could complete his sentence, a deep and dangerous voice cut him off. He turned around and saw Min Ho standing at the door with Hyun Jun holding his hand.

“Halmeoni… Sookbu…” Hyun Jun bowed at Han Ae Jung and Hae Jin adorably. He remembers that Shin Hye always taught him to be in good manner especially to the elders. He is very happy today. Besides having a mother, he also has a grandfather, a grandmother and an uncle. He has a big family now.

Han Ae Jung smiled at Hyun Jun and nodded her head. Shin Hye was right. This little boy is very cute.

“A-Ah… good boy, H-Hyun Jun.” Hae Jin was frightened by Min Ho sudden appearance. He faked an awkward smile. “P-Problem? Of course no problem. I… I just came in to bring eomma out. The ceremony is starting soon, right?”

Min Ho smiled slightly as he nodded. “Yes, it will start soon.” He then turned to Han Ae Jung and bowed slightly at her. “Eomeonim, you should be out there now. Are you feeling alright? Do you need anything? I can get someone to take care of you in case…”

“It’s okay.” Hae Jin cut him off. “I’ll take care of her.” He said before looking at his mother. “Eomma, let’s go out and don’t disturb brother in-law and Shin Hye.” He walked to Han Ae Jung and helped her up.

“Take care of her. If she is not feeling well, you have to tell me.” Shin Hye reminds her brother.

“I will.” Hae Jin stole a glance at Min Ho before he quickly helped his mother out from the bridal’s room.

After they were gone, Hyun Jun ran to Shin Hye and smiled sweetly at her. Shin Hye sat down on the chair as she brought her hand to his face and brushed a soft strand of hair away from his forehead.

“Eomma…” Hyun Jun called out loudly as he studied her face intently. “Eomma… you have colour on your face today.” He paused and smiled. “But you look so beautiful even with the colour on your face.”

Shin Hye chuckled and pinched his nose playfully. “You are a sweet talker.” She said and then slowly turned to the door and looked at Min Ho.

The moment her eyes locked at him, she felt her heart thudding fiercely against her chest. He looked… effortlessly handsome and dashing in his black tuxedo. His hair was combed neatly behind his high forehead and his intense gaze makes her breathless. Since the night he came to see her parents and after the kiss outside her house, this was the first time she see him again. A light blush slowly covered her face as the scene of them kissing replayed in her mind.

Averting her eyes to avoid his gaze, Shin Hye spoke softly. “Y-You are not suppose to be here. We can’t see each other before the ceremony starts.”

Min Ho’s lips were curled up in a small smile when he saw her nervous expression. He felt pleased for bringing such an effect to her every time they met. “I know. But Hyun Jun keeps saying he want to see you. I have no choice to bring him here before he cry down the whole church.”

Shin Hye turned back to Hyun Jun and looked at him with her narrowed gaze. “Wae? Why do you want to see me so urgently?”

Hyun Jun’s face turned serious in an instant as he held her arms, looking nervous. “Eomma… I don’t want to walk with that small witch.”

Shin Hye creased her brows. “What small witch?”

“That small witch that was arranged to walk with us later. I don’t like her. I don’t want her to walk with us.” Hyun Jun pouted his lips.     

“He mean the flower girl that will walk together with him later.” Min Ho explained and shook his head helplessly. No matter how tough the problem was when he faced in a business, it has never been a problem for him to settle it. But in front of his son, he just felt helpless and doesn’t know what to do. Not only him. Even his maid Kang Chun Hwa couldn’t do anything with his tantrums.

A soft smile slowly spread across Shin Hye’s face as she gently pulled Hyun Jun towards her and wrapped her arms around his tiny body. “What is wrong with the flower girl? Why don’t you like her?” She asked.

Hyun Jun looked at her and heaved a very unsatisfied breath. “I just don’t like her. Why must there be a girl beside me when I walk with you later? I can do the job myself. She is not even related to you. You are my eomma, not her eomma. I hate the colour she put on her lips and keep talking to me.”

Shin Hye smiled again as she tightened her arms around him. “Hyun Jun-ah, do you know why in a wedding there must be a ring bearer and a flower girl?”

Hyun Jun shook his head.

“The ring bearer, which is you, will be carrying a pillow with our rings tied in the centre and walks in front of me and besides the flower girl. Your duty is to safeguard our rings and make sure it reached your appa’s hand safely.” Shin Hye explained patiently with another smile. “As for the flower girl, her role is completely different from you. A flower girl walks in front of me and she will scatters flower petals on the floor before I walks down the aisle. And besides that, there is also another important reason she have to be there.”

“What reason?” Hyun Jun asked as his head tilted in curiosity.

“Her responsibility is to lead me forward, bringing me to your appa. She also symbolized the end of the bride’s innocence and her transition into the role of a wife and a mother.” Shin Hye said as she caressed his cheek gently. “When both of you brought me to your appa, I will not be me anymore. I’ll become a wife to your appa and… a mother to you. So both of you are equally important in this wedding. I can’t marry your appa without any one of you.”  

Shin Hye pulled back slightly and helped him to straighten his bow tie. “I know Hyun Jun is a big boy and will understand what I said. If Hyun Jun wants me to become your eomma, you have to cooperate with the flower girl and me to your appa safely. Can you do that?”

Hyun Jun nodded his head vigorously. “Of course. Hyun Jun promise you that I’ll make sure the rings are safe and I’ll bring you to appa. I will… try my best not to hate the flower girl until she finish her job. Let me go out to find her now and make sure she don’t do anything wrong.” He said as he quickly pulled away from Shin Hye and walked to his father.

“Appa, I’ll go out to find ahjuhma and the flower girl now.” He said and before Min Ho could say anything he has already stepped out of the bridal’s room.

After Hyun Jun disappeared from the room, Min Ho closed the door and turned to Shin Hye. He looked at her with an admiring gaze. Amazing is an understatement to describe her. No matter how they talk to Hyun Jun just now, he just stubbornly ignored them. But every time when he was with Shin Hye, she will have a way to make him listen. Even if they tell him the same thing but the effect will be totally different if those words were came from . She has a special ability to convince his son. She also has a kind of aura that can simply attract and impressed people.

And not to mention the way she looks today. She was stunning in the off shoulder neckline with the V-shaped back wedding dress. The waist is accented with a crystal beaded satin belt that shows off her perfect waistline. She can simply turned a simple wedding dress like this to look so elegant on her. Her makeup was kept light and her hair was down, and it was in beautiful curls that went down over her shoulder. She is so breathtakingly beautiful that he believe that every man out there will be extremely jealous of him when they saw her.

The room immediately turned intense with only the two of them. Shin Hye slowly stood up and looked at him. “About… about what oppa said just now… I’m sorry. You don’t need to bother him. He is… always like that.” She knows he heard what Hae Jin said when he came in just now.

Min Ho studied her face and smirked. She is nervous again. It satisfied his ego seeing the way she blushed whenever he is near to her. He slowly walked towards her and stopped a foot away from her. He could clearly hear the changed of her breathing. But at the same time, their closeness and her scent brings a sudden intrusion to his calm mind. 

“It’s okay. I don’t really care what people think about me. And besides Hyun Jun wanted to see you, I came here to bring you a good news.” He said, as his eyes never leave hers. He realized that his jaw was clenched to keep himself calm and not to lose control.

Shin Hye raised her brows. “Good news?”

Min Ho nodded with another smirk. “I’m here to tell you that the remaining four billion won has been credited into your account.”

Oh… the money.

So it’s official now. She has officially becomes a wife that he bought with five billion won. Taking a soft breath, she let out a weak smile. “Thank you.”

Min Ho’s eyes narrowed as he took a step closer. Shin Hye was startled and her natural reaction was stepping backward until her back touched the long dressing table. She has no way to run now and was caught by him.

“Thank you?” Min Ho repeated her word with an inward smirk. “Have you forgotten what I told you that night? If I remember correctly, this is not the way you should thank me.” He slowly moved his hand up to cup her jaw as he leaned down, moving towards her lips.

Shin Hye’s body went stiff with her eyes widened. Her heart was beating so fast that it felt like it’s going to jump out from her chest. But just when his lips were almost touching hers, the door suddenly opened and he quickly pulled away and took a step back.

He heaved a sharp breath when he saw Park Beom Seok standing at the door with his eyes widened in surprise. His lips then slowly curled up in a smile.

Min Ho let out an embarrass smile as he bowed at him. “Abeonim.”

Damn it. He cursed silently. He lost his control again.

Shin Hye’s face turned crimson red as she held her head low, doesn’t want her father to see her blush.

Park Beom Seok chuckled at their reaction. “Don’t feel embarrass. I have been through all this before and I know how anxious you are feeling now. But… you are not supposed to be here before the wedding.” He said to Min Ho. “I know my daughter is very tempting but… I think you should be patient and wait until tonight.” He .

“Appa…” Shin Hye looked up with her face reddened further.

Min Ho averted his gaze as he cleared his throat awakwardly. He inhaled a deep breath before he bowed at Park Beom Seok again. “T-The ceremony is starting soon. I’ll… wait outside.” He said as he quickly exited the room.

Park Beom Seok laughed before looking at his daughter. “Your husband is very impatient.”

“Appa…” Shin Hye pouted her lips.

Park Beom Seok smiled as he walked towards her. He stopped in front of her and exhaled deeply. “I can’t blame him. My daughter is so beautiful.” He held her hand and gave her a soft squeeze. “How fast time flies. You were just as big as my forearm when you were born. And now… you will become a wife and a mother.”

Shin Hye bit her lip as tears started to pool in her eyes. “No matter who I’m going to become now, I will always be your daughter.” 

Park Beom Seok nodded as his eyes reddened too. “Appa is an useless father. I have brought you so much trouble.”

“No.” Shin Hye shook her head. “Appa is the best father in the world. I know you have tried your best to give us a good living. I’m so glad to be your daughter.” She paused and looked into her father’s eyes. “Appa… thank you.”

Park Beom Seok let out a long sigh. “Appa should be the one who thank you. Thanks for saving the company.”

“You don’t need to worry about the debts anymore. I’ve already got the money and you can pay the bank tomorrow. Everything will be over and you can start all over again.” She said. 

Park Beom Seok looked at Shin Hye for a long moment before he spoke again. Everything happened so fast. She broke up with Taec Yeon and then told them she is marrying Min Ho. And now, she got the money to pay for his debts. “I don’t know what to say but… I hope you didn’t marry Min Ho because of the money.”

“I…” Shin Hye bit her lip harder. “I… appreciates him for giving me the money to help you... but… I really love him.” She paused and smiled slightly. “I love his confidence, his intelligence, his strong-willed and his enthusiastic. When he wants something, he will not give up until he gets what he wants. I admired his dedication. I know I won’t regret my choice.” She said as she tried to convince herself at the same time.      

She took a step forward and gently wrapped her arms around her father’s neck and hugged him. A tear slowly rolled down her cheeks. “Appa… don’t worry about me. You just need to promise me that you will take care of eomma when I’m not around and you also have to take care of yourself.”

Park Beom Seok nodded as he her back soothingly. “Appa promise you.” He said and pulled back to look at her again. “Don’t cry.” He moved his hand up and wiped her tears away. “Let appa finish my most important responsibility as a father today.” He paused and smiled. “I’ll hold your hand and bring you towards your happiness.”

Shin Hye smiled as she nodded.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------

 

Church…

 

“Sajang-nim, Mr Chan from the China company will touched down in Korea tonight at 11pm. I already told him that today is your wedding but he insist to meet up with you right after he arrived.” Min Ho’s assistant, who is also his best man today, told him when he came back from the bridal’s room.

A deep sigh escaped Min Ho’s lips as his brows furrowed together. That Chinese man is really getting on his nerve. But he has no choice because the project is very important to his company. He couldn’t ignore or upset him at this moment.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter