Falling Unknowingly... In Love

A Contract Wife
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dining room…

 

“Eomma, I thought you are only good in nagging. I didn’t know you are so good in cooking too.” Lee Hyun Jun said as he put a big piece of the fried egg and capsicum into his tiny mouth. This is definitely the best breakfast he ever had.

Shin Hye gave him a playful glare. “Yah, when you want to compliment someone you should do it properly. What nagging? If you listen to me and do things correctly, do you think I want to waste my breath to nag you?”

Hyun Jun who was sitting in front of her, stuck his tongue out and giggled. “See… you admit you like to nag.”

“Aishhh…” Shin Hye bit her lip and took his glass of orange juice away from him.

“Ah… that’s mine.” Hyun Jun pouted his lips.

Shin Hye grinned as she held the glass in her hand. “You want this? Say sorry.”

Hyun Jun heaved a deep unsatisfied sigh. “Sorry…” He said with his adorable pouty lips.

“Good boy.” Shin Hye smiled as she put the glass back in front of him. “If you want to eat different kind of breakfast every morning, you have to be a good boy in the school too.”

“I’m already very good.” Hyun Jun argued. “Didn’t you see how good my result was in the last semester?”

Shin Hye shot him a sharp stare. “Lee Hyun Jun… how many times I have to tell you that good result is not the most important thing in school? You…”

“If he is not good academically, what is the point if he is good in other things?” Min Ho cut her off without looking at them. He took a sip of his coffee before continuing reading the newspaper he was holding.

Hyun Jun nodded as he looked at his mother with a smile of victory.

“Yah, Lee Min Ho…” Shin Hye glared at her so-called husband.

Min Ho looked up from the newspaper and raised his brows. “Yah, Lee Min Ho? I thought we have decided how you should call me just now.”

Shin Hye bit her lip as she averted her gaze with her cheeks reddened instantly. A deep sigh escaped her lips helplessly. “I also thought you said you won’t interfere on how I teach him.” She said in a displease tone.

A small smirk played on Min Ho’s lips. He folded the newspaper and passed it to the maid standing at the side before he forked some food into his mouth. He has to agree with his son. His newlywed wife can really cook. His morning appetite has never been so good before. 

“Are you going to the hospital today?” Min Ho asked without looking at her.

Shin Hye turned to him, surprised that he will ask her about it. “Yes. My mother has dialysis treatment every Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. It’s the same day as Hyun Jun’s private classes. But I’ll make sure to be home before his class ended. It won’t affect my time of taking care of him.” She assured him.

“Do you know how to drive?” Instead of replying her, he asked another question.

“Yes…” Shin Hye answered softly.

“There are few extra cars in the house. You can take any one of it and get the car key from ahjuhma. As for morning, the driver will send you and Hyun Jun to school. He will also pick both of you up after the school ended every day. And for the rest of the day, the driver will standby in the office for me. But if you are not comfortable to drive, I can get a personal driver for you.” Min Ho said.

Shin Hye shook her head. “I… I’m okay to drive myself if you don’t mind.”

Min Ho just nodded his head as he took another sip of his coffee before looking at Hyun Jun. “We have to go now. Are you done yet?”

Hyun Jun quickly finished up his orange juice before nodded. “Yes.”

Shin Hye stood up of the dining chair and walked them towards the car porch where the driver was waiting for them. She kneeled down in front of Hyun Jun and helped him to straighten his uniform. “Be good at school and take care. Arasso?”

“Arasso.” Hyun Jun leaned forward and kissed her face. “I love the breakfast you cook. I will see you after school. Goodbye, eomma.”

Shin Hye felt a sweetness overload early in the morning. So this is how it feels to have a family? She smiled and caressed his chubby cheeks tenderly. “Goodbye.”

She stood up and turned to the maid to take Min Ho’s briefcase from her. She then handed it to Min Ho and both of them just stood there, gazing at each other for a moment without knowing what to say.

“Appa, you should give eomma a goodbye kiss too.” Hyun Jun broke the silence.

Shin Hye was startled and turned her head slightly to look at Hyun Jun. But before she could say anything to him, Min Ho already leaned over and planted a quick warm kiss on her cheek.

Hyun Jun and the maid giggled at the same time.

Shin Hye widened her eyes and looked at Min Ho with her face blushing.

Min Ho smirked playfully. “I love the breakfast you cook. I’ll see you after work.” He repeated the exact same sentence that his son said to her just now. It was meant to but he felt extremely good about it.

And without giving Shin Hye a chance to react or get back to her senses, he held his son’s hand and got into the car.

Kang Chun Hwa smiled as she took a step closer to Shin Hye. “This is the first time I see doryeon-nim smile so happily after so many years.”

Shin Hye felt her heart pounding in her chest, as her face blushed deeper.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------

 

9 hours later…

Lee Mansion…

 

It was already 5.30pm by the time Shin Hye came back from the hospital. She stepped into the huge living room and scanned around.

“Agasshi, welcome home.” Kang Chun Hwa greeted her as she took over Shin Hye’s coat and bag.

Shin Hye smiled at her. “Where is Hyun Jun?”

“He is in his room upstairs, having his private class with Yim seonsaeng. The class will over at 6pm.” The maid replied.

“I see.” Shin Hye looked at Kang Chun Hwa and smiled again. “Please help me to put my things in the room. I’ll go to prepare the dinner now.”

Kang Chun Hwa widened her eyes in shock as she shook her head. “No, agasshi. Preparing dinner is my job. You must be very tired after coming back from the hospital. You should take a rest in the room or…”

“I insist.” Shin Hye smiled, giving her a soft squeeze on her arm. “I have got used to accompanying my mother to the hospital all these years. I’m not tired at all. Don’t worry. Your young master will not scold you. And moreover, I still need your help in the kitchen. I need your experienced guidance. I can’t prepare everything myself.”

Kang Chun Hwa smiled and finally nodded her head. The first time she saw Shin Hye when Min Ho brought her home, she thought she would be another Se Yeon. But in just only one day living under the same roof with her, she knows Shin Hye is totally different. The way she talked to Hyun Jun, the way she did everything herself wholeheartedly, she felt happy for her young master. He chose the right woman this time.

“Is there anything Min Ho oppa and Hyun Jun doesn’t like to eat?” Shin Hye asked as she put the apron on.

Kang Chun Hwa smiled. “Yes. Both of them don’t eat carrot.”

“But carrot is good for their eyes.” Shin Hye creased her brows. “They shouldn’t be so picky on food.” She shook her head. But no matter how, she will try to think a way to make them eat it.

She took over the vegetables that the maid finished washing and placed it on the cutting board. She took the knife and started to slice it. “What time does Min Ho oppa come home every night?”

“Doryeon-nim usually come home before 8pm every night. If he doesn’t have any urgent work to do, he will surely come home before Hyun Jun sleep and make sure to talk with him every night.” Kang Chun Hwa said.

Shin Hye nodded as soft smile slowly curled up her lips. She was wrong about him the first time they met in the school. No wonder he was offended when she said he doesn’t spend enough time with Hyun Jun.  She misunderstood him.

“Then… will he come back for dinner?” She asked again.

Although Kang Chun Hwa felt strange that Shin Hye have to ask the maid about her own husband but it was understandable. They didn’t know each other for a long time before they got married. But time is the best way to make two persons get to know and understand each other. They still have a long time to go. She hopes Min Ho’s second marriage will be a happy ending this time.

“He usually doesn’t eat at home unless he call and will be home early. But it’s very rare. He doesn’t come home for dinner even when samo-nim was still alive. He is a workaholic.” Kang Chun Hwa said.

Shin Hye bit her lip and looked at the maid. She got curious when she mentioned about Se Yeon. “How long… have Min Ho oppa and Se Yeon got married?” She asked cautiously.

Kang Chun Hwa stopped what she was doing and looked at Shin Hye with a sceptical gaze.

Shin Hye let out a warm smile. “I didn’t mean anything bad. I was just… curious. You know… Min Ho oppa doesn’t like to talk about her.”

The older woman nodded as she heaved a deep sigh. “Doryeon-nim was only 20 years old when they got married. Old sajang-nim was so angry when he found out that they got married secretly without his permission.”

Shin Hye raised her brows in confusion. “He doesn’t know?”

Kang Chun Hwa shook her head. “Old sajang-nim wanted doryeon-nim to engage with a girl from a very rich family.” She paused and smiled. “You should know doryeon-nim’s character. He will never let anybody to control his life. And moreover, in doryeon-nim’s heart he only loves samo-nim. Both of them grew up in the same orphanage and love each other ever since they were kids.”

Yes. The first time Shin Hye met them in Light House Orphanage, it was already very obvious that Min Ho love Se Yeon very much. His gaze is always cold but when he looks at Se Yeon, that gaze was different. It was filled with love and warmth.

“What happened then? Did his father… do anything to separate them?” Shin Hye asked.

“Of course he wanted to do something but it was too late.” Kang Chun Hwa said. “Samo-nim was already pregnant when doryeon-nim brought her home. Old sajang-nim has no choice but to accept their marriage. But even so, he didn’t let them to have a wedding or inform the relatives and friends. That was why nobody in the public knows samo-nim was doryeon-nim’s wife. They know he was married and have a son but nobody saw samo-nim before.”

Shin Hye heaved a deep sigh. She could imagine how painful it was for both of them at that moment.

“No matter how samo-nim tried to make old sajang-nim to accept her, sajang-nim just doesn’t like her. He ignored her and didn’t talk to her. But things turned better after Hyun Jun was born. Sajang-nim started to accept samo-nim and I thought their relationship would be better. But…” The maid paused and inhaled a deep breath.

“But it only got worsened. Doryeon-nim was so busy with his work and didn’t spend time with her. She started to ignore Hyun Jun and always locked herself in the room. I can understand her struggles and tried to help her as much as I can. She was only 20 years old when she gave birth to Hyun Jun. The pressure from sajang-nim, the insensitivity from doryeon-nim and the stress of taking care of a baby were too much for her to handle at that time. Her condition got worse as time passed and when doryeon-nim noticed something was wrong with her, I guess it was too late. The doctor said samo-nim was suffering with depression.” She added.

Shin Hye tightened her grip around the knife and held her breath. Depression? According to the memory she had about Se Yeon, she was a very cheerful and happy person. The pressure she has to face in this house must be unbearable.

“I still remember that night.” Kang Chun Hwa spoke again. “It was very late and outside was raining very heavily. I was still in the kitchen when doryeon-nim came back from work and his scream startled everyone in the house. Samo-nim was lying on the bed with so much blood covering her hand when he entered the room. She was trying to kill herself.”

Shin Hye widened her eyes. “She… she kill herself?”

The maid nodded. “I quickly called the ambulance and luckily she arrived the hospital on time. But with her unstable emotion, she has to stay in the hospital at that time. Doryeon-nim stopped all his work and stay in the hospital to keep her accompanied.” She paused again as her eyes slowly reddened. “Samo-nim stayed in the hospital for about three months before… before she passed away.”

Shin Hy sank her teeth into her bottom lip upon hearing what she said. “H-How did she die?”

Kang Chun Hwa shook her head. “Nobody knows. But there were rumours said that samo-nim killed herself when doryeon-nim went back to the office after he thought she was asleep.” She paused and took another deep breath. “Hyun Jun was only two years old when samo-nim passed away. Doryeon-nim drowned himself into work and doesn’t let anybody to talk or ask about samo-nim. Talking about samo-nim is forbidden in this house. At that time, we all thought he wouldn’t be able to stand it but I think Hyun Jun was a pillar for him to stay strong.”

Shin Hye breathed deeply. Now she finally understands why Hyun Jun behaved like that when she first met him. The way he grew up was unhealthy. He was lonely and unsecure.

“But everything will be better now.” The maid smiled at her. “Hyun Jun is no longer quiet and alone. He is so much happier now since he knows you. And doryeon-nim too. The smile I saw on his face this morning was… a smile of happiness. I’m glad you came into their life.”

A smile of happiness? Shin Hye let out a weak smile, an uncertain smile. She wasn’t sure that was a smile of happiness or just a smile of satisfaction. He wanted to possess and control her. He loves to because for him, she is just a woman he bought to take care of his son and entertain him. There is no love involve in this relationship. Although she hope she could really give him happiness one day but she knows nobody could ever replace Se Yeon in his heart.

“Eomma…”

Hyun Jun’s voice suddenly filled the room and shook Shin Hye off from her deep thought. The troubled expression on her face quickly replaced by a smile. She kneeled down and held his tiny hands.

“Eomma… you are back. Why didn’t you come to see me?” Hyun Jun asked.

“I know you are in the class. I don’t want to disturb you.” Shin Hye said, caressing the smooth skin of his hands. She stared at him for a moment before pulling him into her arms, hugging her tightly. After hearing what the maid told her just now, her heart ached even more when she saw Hyun Jun now. He is a poor baby. Even she is not his biological mother but she hope her love could somehow heal his broken heart.

“Eomma miss you.” She whispered. She will love him wholeheartedly like her own.

Hyun Jun giggled as he wrapped his tiny arms around her. But just when he wanted to tell her that he miss her too, sound of footsteps walking towards their direction interrupted them.

“Hi.”

Shin Hye stood up when she saw a man standing in front of them.

“You must be Min Ho’s newlywed wife.” He smiled as he lifted his hand up. “Nice meeting you. I’m Yim Si Wan, Hyun Jun’s tutor, Min Ho’s best friend.” He introduced himself. “I’m sorry for not be able to attend your wedding yesterday. I just came back from Japan this morning.”

Shin Hye nodded politely and shook his hand. “Hi, Yim Si Wan-sshi. I’m Shin Hye.” She smiled. “It’s okay. I’m sure Min Ho oppa doesn’t mind.”

Si Wan held her hand and squeezed it softly. His eyes were staring intensely into Shin Hye eyes and he could felt her discomfort. But… she looked very familiar. Before the wedding, Min Ho already told him about her but he doesn’t know how she looks like. And when he saw her now, she reminds him of someone, someone from his past.

She gently pulled her hand away as she took a step backward to lengthen their distance. “I’ve heard a lot about you. Thank you for taking care of uri Hyun Jun.”

Si Wan smiled. “Hyun Jun talked a lot about you too. He told me that you are a teacher in his school. Which subject are you teaching?”

“I’m a music teacher.” Shin Hye replied.

Si Wan narrowed his eyes. “Music teacher? Do you… know how to play piano?”

“Eomma is very good in playing piano. She plays very well in our school.” Hyun Jun cut in and told his teacher very proudly.

Shin Hye smiled as she glanced at Hyun Jun and pinched his nose playfully before looking up at Si Wan again. “You like to play piano too?”

“Hmmm… not really.” Si Wan rubbed his nape awkwardly. “But I love to hear people play. You know… there is one of this very famous pianist called Yiruma.”

“You like Yiruma too?” Shin Hye smiled. “I love him a lot. I love all the songs he play… especially ‘Fairy Tale’. Do you know about that song?”

The smile on Si Wan’s face froze, as he looked deep into her eyes. “Yes… I love that song. I heard it once when… when I was still a kid.”

It’s her.

“I see.” Shin Hye smiled again as she took her apron off and turned to Kang Chun Hwa. “I’ll send Yim seonsaeng out.”

“Yes, agasshi.” The maid replied.

“Let’s talk outside.” Shin Hye said to Si Wan as she held Hyun Jun’s hand and walked out of the kitchen.

“Hyun Jun said you are a professor in the university. Your job must be very busy.” Shin Hye said as they walked to the living room.

“Y-Yes.” Si Wan replied, his eyes still locked at Shin Hye. “I heard Min Ho said you came from Busan.”

“Yes. I just moved to Seoul not too long ago.” Shin Hye said.

They stopped not far away from the main door and his intense gaze makes her felt uncomfortable. The way he stared at her felt like he is trying to look into her soul.

“How long have you know Min Ho?” He suddenly asked.

Shin Hye held his gaze and smiled slightly. “Not long.” She uttered a simple answer.

“I see.” Si Wan continued to look at her before he spoke again. “You… you look very different from the woman around Min Ho. I’m very curious why Min Ho will choose you.”

Shin Hye’s brows creased as she looked at him with question floating around her big eyes.

Si Wan shook his head nervously when he saw her reaction. “Don’t get me wrong. I mean… as what I understand about him, you are not the type of woman that he will like. Hyun Jun’s mother…”

“What do you know about my type?”

A sudden deep and dangerous voice filled the room and startled both of them. They turned to the door and saw Min Ho walking out from the other side of the living room with a murderous expression spread across his darkened face.

“Appa…” Hyun Jun ran to his father. “Why you come home so early today?”

Min Ho looked at his son and gave him a small smile. He doesn’t even know why he was home so early today. He was supposed to have a dinner meeting with the Chinese client and should be heading straight to the place from his office. But something inside of him just wanted to come back first and tell Shin Hye that he will be late tonight. His mood was so good the whole day but it turned deadly sour when he saw his wife talking with another man in his house.

“Y-You… you are so early.” Shin Hye said in surprise.

Si Wan smirked inwardly when he saw his best friend glaring at him. This expression looks familiar. It reminds him the time when they were kids.

“Take Hyun Jun upstairs.” He gave his instruction without looking at Shin Hye.

“Me

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter