Lost Control

A Contract Wife
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Coffee Shop…

 

“What? She said that to you?” Krystal widened her eyes and asked in disbelief. “She was the one who wanted your hairband first and offered to exchange the bangle with you. How can she think that everything changed because of giving you the bangle? She was the one who gave up on sajang-nim and left him. She can’t blame anybody now.”

Park Shin Hye took a small sip of her drink and let out a deep sigh. “I’m not sure she was joking or what but… I felt uncomfortable when she said that.” She paused and looked at Krystal with a gaze clouded with guilt. “Or… am I just over-sensitive and misunderstood the meaning of her words? Maybe she doesn’t think like that.”

Krystal shrugged her shoulders. “I don’t know. But… if you ask me, I think the way she said it… it have got to mean something, right?” With her woman’s instinct, she thinks there was a hidden message behind what Se Yeon trying to say to Shin Hye.

“I don’t know either.” Shin Hye sighed again.

“Did you tell sajang-nim about it?” Krystal asked.

Shin Hye looked at her for a moment before she shook her head. “No. I was the one who suggested for Se Yeon to stay with us. I don’t want him to think that I’m regretting now just because… I’m jealous. And moreover, you know he is very busy with the new project lately. He has to travel between Seoul and Japan almost every week. He doesn’t even have enough time to sleep. I don’t want to add more headache to him.”

“Then what are you going to do now?” Krystal asked again.

Another deep sigh escaped Shin Hye’s lips as her hands were mindlessly playing with the cup in front of her. “I really don’t know. Whenever I think she came back because of Min Ho oppa, I’ll tell myself that she is sick and she just need time to heal. And Min Ho oppa is the most reliable person for her now. She needs help and most importantly… she is Hyun Jun’s mother. I don’t want to take away his chance to know his mother just because of my selfishness.”

Krystal stared at her with her eyes pouring sympathy. “You really love Hyun Jun a lot. I’m so happy that sajang-nim married you and found Hyun Jun a good mother.”

Shin Hye let out a weak smile and held her gaze. “Do you really think I’m a good mother?”

“Of course you are. I’ve never seen Hyun Jun so happy before since he met you.” Krystal replied, certainty in her voice. “He is lucky to have a mother like you.”

“But why do I think my relationship with him is slowly drifting apart?” A pang of sadness touched Shin Hye’s heart when she recalled the conversation she had with Hyun Jun in the school and how he ignored her this whole week.

“How could it be possible? Hyun Jun has always been very close to you.” Krystal’s brows furrowed as she looked at Shin Hye with confusion when she saw the troubled expression on her face. “Did anything happen between both of you?”

With a heavy sigh, Shin Hye shook her head and met her gaze. “I honestly have no idea. That day when we were in the school, we talked and he suddenly told me that he doesn’t want to have a brother. He doesn’t want me to get pregnant.”

“You mean… you are… pregnant now?” Krystal’s eyes widened.

“I’m not.” Shin Hye quickly replied. “Although I really hope I am but after the fight we had, I’m just glad that I’m not pregnant.” She said helplessly.

“But… why is it so sudden? Did you ask him why? I mean… as what I heard from Si Wan oppa, Hyun Jun has always wanted to have a brother.” Krystal asked, totally confused with the whole situation.

“That’s what I thought too. I’m totally dumbfounded with his sudden changed of mind. He told me he don’t like baby because they are noisy and troublesome. He just wants all of us to stay at it is.” Shin Hye shifted her gaze to her cup and heaved another sigh.

“This is weird.” Krystal commented, looking confused.

“Yes, it is. And because of this conversation, he was upset with me and he hardly talk to me now. This has never happen before. Since I married Min Ho oppa, Hyun Jun has always been very close to me. We never fight and he will never get angry with me. But this time… he acted so strange and wouldn’t talk to me. When we were in the school, he went straight to driver ahjuhsi without waiting for me. When we were at home, he just locked himself in the room and only let Se Yeon to go inside. I used to read bedtime story to him every night but now… he just want Se Yeon to be in his room before he sleep.” Shin Hye paused as she bit her lower lip. “I feel like an outsider in the house now.”

Krystal pursed her lips and for a brief moment, she couldn’t find any word to console her. “This sounds… very serious. Did you tell sajang-nim?”

Shin Hye looked up at her again. “How should I tell him? Before I even have the chance to talk to him, he was already snoring in the bed. And a day after that incident, he went to Japan for a week and will only be back tomorrow.” She let out a long, breathy sigh. “I know he is very tired. I don’t want to worry him. And most important of all, I don’t want him to be torn between both of us. He loves Hyun Jun a lot.”

“I understand.” Krystal nodded. She has been working for Min Ho for a long time and she knows how much her boss loves his son. “But don’t worry.” She paused and gave Shin Hye a supporting smile. “I’m sure… this is just a kid thing. Hyun Jun will forget and get over it very fast.”

Shin Hye wanted to be as optimistic as Krystal too but something tells her that this time will not be so simple. Something is not right and it makes her feel uncomfortable. “I always know that being a stepmother is not something easy. But all this while… with the ridiculous contract marriage, before Min ho oppa admit that he love me… Hyun Jun was the only reason for me to stay strong in the house. He gave me a reason to feel happy and felt loved in the family. I thought we would be different. But with Se Yeon came back now… I guess he finally feel the difference between a biological mother and a stepmother.”

“But you are not a typical stepmother in those fairy tale stories.” Krystal cut in, disagreed with her. “You are the best stepmother I’ve ever seen in this world. Of course there is difference between you and his mother. Jin Se Yeon left him because she found a man that loves her. And you… you stay with him even at that time the man you married didn’t love you.” She paused and looked into Shin Hye’s eyes. “I’ve never been a mother before and I don’t know how it feels. But I’m sure Hyun Jun will understand one day. Your love for him will not be wasted.”

Shin Hye let out a smile, appreciated her support. At least she feels better after talking with someone. “I hope so too. Thank you.”

Krystal smiled and held her cup up, taking a sip of her drink before something crossed her mind. She looked at Shin Hye again and asked, “Do you know that sajang-nim’s flight for tomorrow is at 2pm?”

“Yes, wae?” Shin Hye nodded her head, curious with her sudden question.

“As what I know, after this meeting at Japan, sajang-nim’s schedule will not be as tight as before.” Krystal said as a smile slowly curved her lips up. “I have an idea. Since sajang-nim is coming back tomorrow, why not… you go to the airport and give sajang-nim a surprise? I’m sure he miss you a lot and at the same time you can also talk to him about Hyun Jun’s problem.” She suggested.

Shin Hye tilted her head and think for a moment. “But… if I need to reach the airport on time, I have to leave as soon as the school ended. I can’t go back together with Hyun Jun.”

“Hyun Jun will be having a private class with Si Wan oppa tomorrow, right?” Krystal reminded her. “You can go straight from the school and told him… you have something to do. And since he is still angry with you, I’m sure he won’t ask too many question. I’m sure this will be the best opportunity for you to talk to sajang-nim about Hyun Jun… or even about Se Yeon.”

Shin Hye stared at her as she considered what Krystal said. But she is right. It will be hard for her to talk about something like this with Min Ho at home. If she go to the airport, she can give him a surprise and at the same time earning herself some personal time to talk to him. It was indeed a good idea.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------

 

Lee Mansion…

 

After Shin Hye left the coffee shop, she went back to her parent’s house and had dinner with her parents. By the time she arrived home, it was already 10pm. There were two reasons why she doesn’t want to go home early. First, she doesn’t want to see Se Yeon and have any awkward interaction with her. Second, she knows Hyun Jun is still angry with her and she tried to avoid seeing him being close with his mother. She admits that she is jealous but she just couldn’t help it.

Shin Hye went up and stopped in front of Hyun Jun’s room. She don’t usually come back so late at night. Since the first day she married Min Ho until now, she always come home to have dinner with him no matter how busy she was. It was stated in the contract she signed with Min Ho and she doesn’t want to leave Hyun Jun alone. But after Se Yeon came back, everything seems to change and messed up the organized life she has worked so hard for the past one year.

After a moment of consideration, Shin Hye finally found the courage and brought her hand up to knock the door. But after few knocks, there was still no reply from the inside of the room.

“Are you looking for Hyun Jun?”

Se Yeon’s voice suddenly filled the silence and startled Shin Hye. She turned to Se Yeon and saw her standing outside her room, closing her door at the same time.

“Y-Yes. But I guess… he is asleep.” Shin Hye let out a small smile.

“He is not there. He is in my room.” Se Yeon said, as she walked closer to Shin Hye. “We were talking just now and he fell asleep on my bed. So I was thinking to let him sleep in my room tonight.”

Shin Hye couldn’t help but feel a pang of envy when she heard what she said. They will be sleeping together tonight. It reminds her of Hyun Jun sleeping with her whenever Min Ho gone for a business trip last time.

“I see.” She muttered softly.

“You just came back from your parent’s house?” Se Yeon asked, shaking her off from her deep thoughts.

Shin Hye nodded. “Yes. I had dinner with them.”

“Oh yeah. Oppa called from Japan just now before you come back.” Se Yeon said, a small smirk was curved on her lips.

“He did?” Shin Hye looked at her with a surprise gaze. She was waiting for his call the whole night and thought he would call her. But before she could receive any call from him, her phone went dead when she was still in her parent’s house.

“He called to check on Hyun Jun… and me.” Se Yeon said again, staring at Shin Hye with a meaningful gaze that makes Shin Hye feel even more uncomfortable. She let out a sweet smile. “He is always worried about us even when he is so busy. He has also always checked on us like this when he was away last time. Silly man.” She looked at Shin Hye and tried hard not to laugh when she saw the uneasy expression on Shin Hye’s face. It was obvious that Min Ho didn’t call her mobile. “Hmmm… he asked for you too but I told him that you went back to your parent’s house. I thought he would call your mobile.”

“My mobile… is out of battery. I’ll call him back later.” Shin Hye said, trying to stay calm and unaffected. “It’s late now. I should go to sleep. Good night.” She wanted to leave and stop this mind-challenging conversation with her. But Se Yeon doesn’t seem want to let her go.

“Wait.”

Shin Hye reluctantly stopped walking and turned back to her.

Se Yeon took another step closer and her gaze was darted firmly at hers. “I talked to Hyun Jun the other day. Don’t be angry with him. He is just a kid.”

Shin Hye inhaled a sharp breath. “What makes you think that I’m angry with him?”

“He told me about your fight with him at the school.”

Shin Hye bit her lip and averted her gaze. She didn’t thought Hyun Jun would tell her about their fight. It seems like their relationship was closer than she thought. “It’s just a kid throwing his tantrum when he is not in his good mood. I can understand and won’t be angry.”

“But you shouldn’t take it lightly too, right? I mean… there must be a reason why he doesn’t want to have a sibling.” Se Yeon pushed further. “Hyun Jun has been alone for a long time. He might feel uncomfortable to have another kid stealing all the attention from his parents.”

Shin Hye took another deep breath and tried very hard not to lose her control. She knows it’s not right to be angry but everything Se Yeon said irritates her. Forcing a light smile on her face, she travelled her gaze back at her. “Like I told you before, we didn’t plan to have a kid any time soon because we want to put our concentration on Hyun Jun.” She lied.

Se Yeon stared at her for a moment before she attacked again. “Was it because of your infertility problem that makes both of you to delay the plan?”

“What?” Shin Hye widened her eyes, completely shocked with what she asked. How does she know about her infertility problem? Nobody knows except Min Ho, Si Wan and Krystal. Even ahjuhma didn’t know about it.

Looking at her bewildered reaction, Se Yeon is 100% confirmed that what she guessed was right. “It must be very hard for both of you. Oppa love kids a lot. It’s normal that he doesn’t feel happy to not be able to have a kid with his wife. Although he already have Hyun Jun but still… it would be a regret, right?”

Shin Hye balled her hands in tight fists as her eyes were covered with rage now. She could feel her heartbeat raced, making it harder for her to breathe. “H-How do you know about it?”

Se Yeon smiled. “It doesn’t matter how I know. Most importantly… we are all care about you. Don’t pressure yourself too hard. Oppa will be worried.” She tried to sound like it was Min Ho who tells her. It was satisfying looking at Shin Hye’s reaction. “It’s late now. I should go back inside before Hyun Jun wake up. Good night.” She smiled at her again before walking back to her room and locked the door.

Shin Hye was still standing at the hallway after a long moment, unable to move or react to what Se Yeon just said to her. Was it really Min Ho who told her about it? But he knows it was her biggest weakness and he wouldn’t do that to her. Her mind was clouded with confusion.

 

------------------------------------------------------------

 

Se Yeon’s room…

 

Se Yeon couldn’t hold her smile any longer right after she entered her room. Everything seems to be so smooth and go as what she planned. First, she succeeded separated her from Hyun Jun and took him back to her. And second, she will take Min Ho away from her too.

“Se Yeon eomma.”

She turned to the bed and was slightly startled when she heard Hyun Jun’s voice. Letting out a smile, she slowly walked towards her son and sat down on the bed beside him.

“Did I wake you up?” She asked softly.

“Who are you talking outside just now? Is that eomma? Is she back already?” Hyun Jun asked. After the school today, Shin Hye didn’t come home with him and she didn’t come back to have dinner with them. He doesn’t like it when Shin Hye was not around. Although he still feel a little bit angry with her but he want her to be around him in the house. He missed the time being with her.

Taking a deep breath, Se Yeon felt displeased with his question. “Yes. She just came back.”

“Did she… come to look for Hyun Jun?” He looked at his mother with an expectant gaze.

Se Yeon shook her head and lied. “No. I bumped into her when I went out to drink some water. She was on her way back to her room.”

“She… didn’t ask for me?” Hyun Jun asked again.

“No. She said… she is very tired and need to sleep. Or maybe… she is still angry.” Se Yeon makes a false assumption to mislead him. “Do you miss her? I thought… you are still angry with her too.”

Hyun Jun held his head low, looking disappointed. “But… I was very rude to eomma the other day. I think… it was my fault. Eomma must be very angry with me.”

Se Yeon moved closer to him and held his tiny hands. “Hyun Jun-ah… how can it be your fault? You are just telling her what you think. If she really loves you, she shouldn’t be angry with you and should listen to your opinion. Just like me. I don’t get angry with you no matter what you do. I wouldn’t be like her… walk away without asking where are you no matter how angry I am. That’s the difference between her and Se Yeon eomma. You are my son and I love you.” She continued to mislead him, making his innocent mind to think otherwise.

But when she saw the sadness on Hyun Jun’s face, she knows she couldn’t push him further. “Let’s not talk about her. Your appa is coming home tomorrow. We should sleep early and welcome him back.” She said as she gently lay Hyun Jun down on the bed and kissed his forehead.

“Good night.” Hyun Jun said with a sad tone as he closed his eyes.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------

 

Yongsan International Elementary School…

 

“Okay. The class is over for today. I’ll see all of you tomorrow.” Kim seonsaeng smiled at all the students in front of her before she walked out of the class. Just when she stepped out, she saw Shin Hye standing near the door.

“Eo, Park seonsaeng. Are you looking for Hyun Jun?” She asked.

Shin Hye nodded politely and smiled. “Yes.”

“The class just over. I think he will come out soon.” She said. But just then something crossed her mind as she looked at Shin Hye. “Oh yeah, just to remind you about the fundraising event tomorrow. The volunteers will be here around 10am. We will need your help.”

“Of course. I’ll be there.” Shin Hye nodded with another smile.

“Okay. I’ll see you tomorrow then. Bye.” Park seonsaeng waved her hand before she walked away.

And at the same time the students started to come out from the class and Hyun Jun was one of them. He already saw Shin Hye standing outside even before the class was over. But because Shin Hye was back late last night and didn’t bother to look for him at all, he was still angry.

“Hyun Jun-ah… wait…” When Shin Hye saw Hyun Jun passed by, she quickly rushed over and called him from the back.

“What?” Hyun Jun asked coldly without turning around to look at her.

Shin Hye inhaled a deep breath as she slowly walked to the front and crouched down to look at him. Looking at the expression on his face, she knows he was still angry. To be honest, her mind was blank and ran out of idea on how to make him not to be angry with her. After the intense conversation she had with Se Yeon last night, she couldn’t sleep at all and she has to use a lot of strength to keep herself calm and not to lose her control. She wanted to call Min Ho to tell him about everything but she figured it would be very childish to do so. She is a matured and a rational adult. She shouldn’t let her jealousy ruin the relationship she built with them. It will be better to talk to him face to face later.

Putting a light smile on her face, Shin Hye gently held his tiny hand and looked at him. “I have something to do later and have to stay back in the school for a while. I will not be going back together with you today.”

Hyun Jun pouted his lips and felt even angrier now knowing that she is not going home with him again. “Hmmm…” He muttered coldly.

“I heard that Si Wan seonsaeng-nim is bringing you out later to buy some books. You have to listen to seonsaeng-nim, okay? I’ll go home right after I finish my work.” Shin Hye said again.

“Hmmm…”

“Your appa is coming home today. I’ll cook something nice for tonight’s dinner.” Shin Hye paused and moved her hand to cup his cheeks, forcing him to look at her. She smiled when their eyes met. “No carrot, I promise.” She , trying to lighten the intense atmosphere. But to her surprise, Hyun Jun pulled away from her and averted his gaze.

“Whatever.” He walked away without looking at her at all.

“Hyun Jun…” Shin Hye stood up and heaved a deep sigh, watching Hyun Jun from behind. He has turned back to be the cold and ignorant Lee Hyun Jun that she first met one year ago. After so much of hard work, everything seems like going back to square one again.

 

------------------------------------------------------------

 

Lee Mansion…

 

“Shin Hye… Hyun Jun… I’m back.” Min Ho stepped into the house with a wide smile as his eyes busy wandered around, looking for the woman he wanted to see the most. But instead of Shin Hye and Hyun Jun, it was Kang Chun Hwa who came to welcome him.

“Welcome home, doryeon-nim.” Kang Chun Hwa took over his luggage and looked at Min Ho with a surprise gaze. “But… why did doryeon-nim come back so early? Agasshi told me that your flight is at 2pm. It’s only 2.15pm now.”

Min Ho tilted his head and stared at the maid in confusion. “I called last night and told Se Yeon that my flight has changed to 1pm today. Didn’t she tell Shin Hye about it?”

“She…” But before Kang Chun Hwa could answer, Se Yeon’s voice was heard and cut her sentence off.

“Oppa… you are back.” Se Yeon walked towards them with a sweet smile on her face.

Kang Chun Hwa quickly pulled the luggage to the side and stepped back. She held her head low and stole a suspicious glance at Se Yeon. It was her who picked up Min Ho’s call last night but Se Yeon took the phone away from her. After she finished talking to Min Ho, she just went straight to her room without telling her about his flight changed. If Min Ho really told her about it, she supposed to tell them last night or this morning. But she didn’t.

“Yes.” Min Ho turned to Se Yeon and smiled.

“I’m sorry. Shin Hye came back very late last night and I forgot to tell her about your flight. She was very tired.” Se Yeon said, trying to sound natural.

“I see. She was supposed to be in her parent’s house yesterday. I tried to call her but I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter