The Beginning of Another Storm

A Contract Wife
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lee Mansion…

 

“Hi, pretty.”

Park Shin Hye let out a startled gasp, nearly dropping the plate she was holding when a pair of arms suddenly wrapped around her waist from behind. Turning her head slightly to the side, she looked at the person behind her.

“You scare me. Don’t do that when I’m in the kitchen.” Shin Hye scolded softly.

Min Ho smirked as he tightened his arms around his wife. “Can you blame me? It was so rare that I could stay at home without worrying about my work but my wife was so busy for the whole day, leaving her husband alone. I’ll be going to Japan tomorrow and have to spend a night there. You won’t be able to see me for a day.” He paused, took away the plate that she was still holding and put it on the kitchen island before he turned her around to face him. “You have been in the kitchen since 2pm. What are you doing in here for so long?”

Shin Hye stared at him and a soft chuckle escaped her lips. She never once imagines that the cold and expressionless man she saw in the school one year ago could turn into such an adorable man now. His puppy eyes, his pouting lips, and that seducing smirk are killing her.

Letting out another sweet smile, her arms came around his neck, bringing him closer to her. “We were away for a week and just came back yesterday. I have a lot of things to do and we invited Si Wan oppa and Krystal over for dinner. I need to prepare the foods. Ahjuhma can’t do it alone. And now stop disturbing me because they will be here very soon. I need to get this done.”

“But there is not only ahjuhma alone in this house. You can ask other maids to do it.” He s his hand to cradle the back of her head and pulled her closer. “I miss my wife…” He whispered as he leaned forward and kissed her.

“Oppa…” Shin Hye protested meekly between their kisses as her hands slowly dropped to his shoulders, using him to support herself. His sudden kiss was so aggressive that she almost went limp in his arms.

Pinning her softly against the kitchen island, Min Ho slanted his mouth over hers and deepened the kiss. His lips were firm, demanding her response as his tongue sliding over her lower lip before it delved inside to tangle with hers.

“Oppa…” Shin Hye tried to pull away. “You need to stop. People will see us.” She breathed heavily but it doesn’t stay like this for long before Min Ho pulled her back to him and took her lips once again.

“Let them see…” He continued to kiss her deeply, holding her firmly in his arms.

Just when Shin Hye gave up and let herself melt into his kiss, someone walked into the kitchen.

“Uh oh…”

Shin Hye quickly pushed him away when she heard the familiar voice and the cheeky giggle sounds. She brushed her hair off her face and adjusts her dress before she turned to face the intruders.

“Hi…” Si Wan waved his hand at her with a cheeky smile on his face. He was holding Hyun Jun in his arm and the little boy is still giggling.

“I told you, young man. Your father couldn’t keep his hands off his wife for even a second.” He said to Hyun Jun and both laughed loudly.

“Stop it, jerk.” Min Ho glared at his best friend when he saw Shin Hye’s face was now flushed with crimson red. “You don’t get to . It’s all because of you that I miss my wife so much. She has been inside the kitchen almost the whole day just to prepare the dinner for you.”

“Okay. My bad.” Si Wan said as he put Hyun Jun down on the floor and pulled him out from the kitchen. “Pretend that we are not here and continue whatever you guys are doing just now.” He said, trying to suppress a laugh.

“This is so embarrassing. It’s your fault.” Shin Hye hit Min Ho’s chest after Si Wan and Hyun Jun left the kitchen.

Min Ho chuckled, grasped her hand up and kissed her knuckles. “Okay, okay. My fault.” He leaned over and whispered into her ear. “Let’s go out now before I can’t control myself and have my dinner in the kitchen.”

“Oppa…” Shin Hye glared at him and her face reddened further.

Min Ho laughed again before pulling her towards the door.

~~~~~

“Sajang-nim, samo-nim.” Krystal greeted them politely when Min Ho and Shin Hye stepped into the living room. “Thank you for having me here tonight.”

“Oh, don’t say that.” Shin Hye gave her a kind smile. “And… don’t call me samo-nim. I mean nobody call me that here. I think we are same age, right? Just call my name, Shin Hye.”

Krystal glanced at Min Ho for a brief second before she looked back at Shin Hye with a hesitant smile. “Yes, I think we are same age. But…”

“No but. Just call her Shin Hye and stop worrying about that evil boss over there. He won’t there to bark at you today. He is just an obedient puppy in front of his wife.” Si Wan cut in and smirked at his friend’s murderous glare.

Shin Hye smiled and nodded. “Yes, just ignore him. The working time has over and he is not your boss now. Take a seat and make yourself at home.”

“Thank you, samo…” Krystal paused and smiled shyly. “I mean… thank you, Shin Hye.” She corrected herself before she took a seat beside Si Wan.

“Please give ahjuhma another thirty minutes. The dinner will be ready soon.” Shin Hye said before something crossed her mind in a sudden. “Oh yeah, I bought something for both of you in France.” She quickly ran to the stairs, heading to her room.

“How was your trip?” Si Wan asked as he looked at Min Ho, who was now sitting in front of him with Hyun Jun.

“Great. Megève is a beautiful place. It was so cold and the snow was everywhere.” Min Ho replied and wrapped his arm around Hyun Jun’s shoulders. “This young man had a great time over there.”

“Yes, seonsaeng-nim. You should go there and bring Krystal noona along.” Hyun Jun cut in and smiled mischievously at them.

“Hyun Jun was right.” Shin Hye’s voice filled the room again as she walked towards them. “Megève is a romantic place for couples.” She smiled and looked at them.

Krystal stole a sideway glance at Si Wan before holding her head low, her face was blushing.

Si Wan noticed her embarrassment and quickly looked up at Shin Hye. “Y-Yah… what are you talking about?”

“I didn’t say anything.” She with a smile. “I just want to thank Krystal for recommending such a beautiful place for us.” She said and turned to Krystal. “This is for you.” She passed her a box. “It’s a crystal bracelet that I found in a crystal shop. It was made with emerald stone that brings romantic and passionate love.” She paused and looked at Si Wan meaningfully. “I hope it brings you luck in your relationship.”

Si Wan inhaled a deep breath. He shouldn’t have come here if he knows his friends are trying to play cupid on him.

“And this is for you.” Shin Hye passed Si Wan another box.

“What’s this?” He asked as he gently opened it and found a locket inside. “I don’t wear this kind of stuff.” He took it out from the box and it was a bronze colour locket with some wordings engraved behind it.

“I told her but she insist to buy this for you.” Min Ho said as he took his wife hand and pulled her to sit beside him.

“Don’t you think the locket look very nice? It was handmade by a local maker there. It’s very unique and you can’t find the same one anywhere. And I love the wording engraved behind it.” Shin Hye said.

“Mon amour? French words? What does that mean?” Si Wan asked, looking up at her.

“It means ‘my love’. You can put your lover’s photo inside and…” Shin Hye paused and glanced at Krystal. “You know… think of her all the time.” Shin Hye smiled meaningfully.

Si Wan followed her gaze and cleared his throat awkwardly when he met Krystal’s eyes. He quickly averted his gaze and looked back at Shin Hye. “Don’t be silly. You must have misunderstood something. We… we are just friends.”

Krystal bit her lip and looked down upon hearing what he said. A pang of disappointment washed over her.

“You expect us to believe that?” Min Ho narrowed his gaze with a smirk. “You were… literally hitting on my secretary whenever you came to my office.”

“I-It’s not like that.” Si Wan tried to explain, stealing glances at Krystal at the same time. He doesn’t want to hurt her feeling but he couldn’t let his friends keep trying to pull them together. “You… you were always scolding her and I was just trying to…”

“I’m sorry, agasshi. The beef is done. Do you want to try it first?” Kang Chun Hwa suddenly appeared and cut off Si Wan’s words.

Shin Hye stared at Krystal and her face was now red and embarrassed by the whole conversation. She felt bad for assuming things without checking with Si Wan first. Krystal was clearly having feelings for Si Wan but the defensive reaction that he gave them is hurting her.

“Hmmm… yes.” Shin Hye replied to Kang Chun Hwa as she stood up and turned to Krystal. “Hyun Jun told me that you love beef, right? This is my first time cooking bulgogi. I might need your help to taste and give me some opinion. Do you mind come to the kitchen with me?” She used ‘tasting the food’ as an excuse to save her away from the awkwardness.

“Sure.” Krystal forced a smile as she stood up and followed Shin Hye to the kitchen with Hyun Jun tagging along.

After they were gone, Min Ho glared at Si Wan. “You are a jerk, do you know that?”

Si Wan held his gaze and pressed his lips together. “I just learn it from you.”

Min Ho crossed his arms across his chest and let out a deep sigh. “What is wrong with Krystal? She obviously like you and I can see you feel the same too. What is stopping you?”

“I…” Si Wan looked at his best friend and sighed deeply. “I don’t want to hurt her. I’m not a good boyfriend and… I like freedom. I can’t stand being with one person and treat her wholeheartedly. It’s not fair for her.”

“Bull.” Min Ho snapped. “Those are just a bunch of excuses you find for yourself to push her away.” He paused and stared into his eyes. “It’s Se Yeon, isn’t it?”

A deep and exasperated sigh escaped Min Ho’s lips when Si Wan looked away from him, avoiding his gaze. “I know how bad it feels of loosing her but it has been so many years already. I understand that it’s not easy to forget your first love… but look at me. I moved on and I’m happy. You have no reason for still haunting yourself in those imaginary lingering feelings that you thought it was true. You just felt that way because… you never get a chance to be with her.”

“I know.” Si Wan said. “And that’s also the reason why I dare not to start a relationship with Krystal when I’m still having that kind of feeling towards another woman.” He paused and inhaled deeply. “Krystal is a good woman. If I want to be with her, I want it to be a serious relationship and treat her well.”

“Then you better quickly make up your mind. Good girl doesn’t wait for you. There are a lot of men out there that deserved her and waiting to fight for her.” Min Ho looked deeply into his eyes. “Se Yeon is gone and you know it. We should just leave keep that part of memory in our heart and grab what we are having now.” There was another pause before a smile slowly spread across his face. “Someone told me that happiness is not inevitable. It comes and goes without you realizing it. Once you grab it, you have to cherish and don’t let it go.”

Min Ho smiled at him again. “I found mine. I hope you find yours too.”

Si Wan looked at him for a long moment before he nodded his head.

~~~~~

“Thank you so much for the dinner. The food is very delicious.” Krystal said as she smiled at Shin Hye. Although the whole dinner was awkward after Si Wan literally rejected her in front of everyone, she still appreciates how Shin Hye tried to make her feel better over the night.

“No problem. You should come more often. Besides Si Wan oppa and the colleagues in the school, I don’t have friends in Seoul. We should hang out together sometimes.” Shin Hye smiled at her too. “Its late now and both of you still need to work tomorrow.” She paused and looked at Si Wan with an unkind gaze. “Send Krystal home and make sure you see her go inside her house safely before you leave.”

“Okay.” Si Wan said, as the dangerous warning was clear in her voice.

Min Ho smirked and finally understands why Shin Hye reminds Si Wan about his mother. Looking at how Hyun Jun behaved so obediently in front of her and even his friend too, she really suited to be a wife and definitely mother material.

After they walked them out and says their goodbyes, Min Ho and Shin Hye went back into the house, leaving both Si Wan and Krystal standing outside at the gate.

Krystal took a deep breath and kept her gaze low when she sensed Si Wan staring at her. “A-Actually… my house is quite far away from yours and it’s not convenient for you to send me all the way back. There is a taxi stand not far away from here. I can go back myself.”

“Krystal…” Si Wan quickly stepped forward and held her hand when he saw her wanted to walk away. “Didn’t you hear what Shin Hye said just now? I’ll be in trouble if you go back alone. Let me send you home. It’s very dangerous for a girl to take a taxi at this hour.”

“It’s okay. I’m used to it already.” Krystal said without looking at him. “I always take taxi alone after work at night. I’ll be fine.”

Tightening his grip around her hand, Si Wan took another closer to her and inhaled deeply. “T-Then… then give me a chance to be your personal driver from now on.”

Krystal widened her eyes and looked up at him in shock. “W-What did you say?”

Si Wan let out a light smile and looked into her eyes. “I’m sorry for being so rude just now. I… I don’t know how to explain to you about the whole thing but…” He paused and entwined their fingers together. “… I like you.”

Krystal bit her lip and tears startled to pool in her eyes.

“I behaved like an just now because… I don’t want to rush and scare you away. I want to take thing slow with you. I mean… I…”

“I understand.” Krystal cut him off and nodded her head fiercely. “I don’t mind if you want to be just friends for now or… just a personal driver. As long as you like me… I can wait.”

Si Wan looked at her for a moment before he smiled at her cute expression. Min Ho was right. Happiness is not inevitable and move on will makes him happy. This woman in front of him… makes him happy.

Taking a deep breath, Si Wan pulled her to him and hugged her in his arms. “I changed my mind. I don’t want to be a personal driver now.” He whispered and another wide smile spread across his face. “I want to be your boyfriend.”

Krystal let out a soft laugh as she hugged him back and nodded. She should really thank Shin Hye because the crystal bracelet that she bought for her was really effective.  

~~~~~

“Happy now?” Min Ho asked, as his arms tightened around Shin Hye’s waist from behind. They were both standing in front of the huge viewing window, watching Si Wan and Krystal hugging each other from their room.

“Hmmm…” Shin Hye nodded with a happy smile. “They look good together.”

“I think we look better.” Min Ho said.

Shin Hye giggled and hit his arm playfully. “It’s late now. Go to take your shower. You need to go Japan and have an early flight to catch tomorrow. I’ll go to make some lemon balm tea for you.”

“Okay.” Min Ho leaned down to kiss her cheek before he loosened his arms and made his way to the bathroom.

But just when Shin Hye wanted to go down, suddenly a strong wave of nausea slammed into her stomach. She squeezed her eyes shut, breathed shallowly, hoping to tame the sudden horrible feeling inside of her. However, the feeling got worse and she couldn’t stand it anymore. She quickly ran out of the room, heading straight to the bathroom outside.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------

 

The next morning…

Bedroom…

 

“Shin Hye… Shin Hye…” Min Ho shouted and keeps knocking the door violently outside the bathroom. The sound of her gagging and vomiting echoed sharply into his ears. This was the fourth time since last night. “Answer me. Are you okay?”

“Y-Yes… I’m fine. L-Let me rest for a bit. I’ll come out when I feel better.”

Her voice was weak and shaky that it worries Min Ho further. Heaving an exasperated sigh, he quickly walked to the door and shouted loudly. “Ahjuhma!”

After few seconds, Kang Chun Hwa rushed over to their room and looked at him with a worried gaze. “Yes, doryeon-nim.”

“Do we have anything that can stop vomiting?” He asked.

“Hmmm… I can make some ginger tea. It’s good for nausea. But… what happened?” Kang Chun Hwa asked him back.

“Shin Hye have been vomiting since last night. I wanted to send her to the hospital but she insists that she is okay.” Min Ho said with another deep sigh.

“Okay. I’ll go down to make the ginger tea now.” Kang Chun Hwa said and ran downstairs.

“Oppa…”

The moment when Min Ho heard Shin Hye’s voice in the room, he quickly turned around and rushed to her. Scanning her from top to toe, he held her hand and gently pulled her to be seated on the bed.

“Are you okay?” He crouched in front of her and rubbed her freezing hands. Her face was as white as paper.

Shin Hye forced a light smile on her face and nodded her head softly. “I’m fine.” She assured him. “I shouldn’t have take beef last night. My stomach is making a rebel. I have very low tolerance for red meats.”

“Are you sure it was the beef that make you like this?” He narrowed his eyes and looked unconvinced.

“Yes…” She said, trying to make him less worry about her. “It happened before and that was the reason I don’t like beef.”

“Come. Let’s go to the hospital now.” Min Ho said, wanted to pull her up.

“No.” Shin Hye stopped him. “I told you I’m alright. You have to go Japan and you will miss the flight if you go to the hospital with me now. I’ll be okay. It’s late now. You need to go to the airport already.”

“How can I still go to Japan when you are like that?” Min Ho said worriedly. “I… I’ll just call the office and ask them to cancel the meeting.”

“Are you crazy?” Shin Hye widened her eyes. “This is a very important meeting that you can’t miss.” She paused and sighed deeply. “Oppa… you have already given up the China project because of me. I don’t want to cause anymore problem to your work. I’m really okay. If you are worried, I’ll take a day off and stay at home today. If I still don’t feel well, I’ll ask agasshi to send me to the hospital, okay? It’s just an hour flight from Japan to Korea. You can easily rush back if I really need you.”

Min Ho held her eyes, hesitated for a long moment before a deep helpless sigh escaped his lips. “I’ll call the school and tell them you will take a day off today. Stay at home and don’t go anywhere. Don’t do anything and just rest, understand?”

“Hmmm…” Shin Hye smiled and nodded obediently.

“Ahjuhma is making some ginger tea for you. I think your stomach already empty after all the vomiting. I’ll get her to cook some porridge for your breakfast. Call me immediately if you don’t feel any better later. Arasso?” Min Ho keeps reminding her.

“Arasso.” She nodded again and gave his hand a gently squeeze. “You have to go now.”

Heaving another deep sigh, Min Ho leaned over to kiss her lips and stood up. He took one last lingering look at her before he took his back and stepped out of the room with his heavy heart.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------

 

Living room…

 

“Agasshi?”

Shin Hye was walking down the stairs, heading to the living room when she heard Kang Chun Hwa’s voice calling her.

“Are you okay?” The old maid asked as she followed behind her. “Doryeon-nim said you have been vomiting since last night. Do you feel better after drinking the ginger tea?”

Shin Hye took a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter