The Past

A Contract Wife
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Light House Orphanage, Busan…

 

On the early beautiful Saturday morning, the lovely family took the earliest flight to Busan and it was only 10am when they reached Light House Orphanage. Lee Hyun Jun was so excited the whole morning and the happy smile on his face never leave him. This was the first trip he ever had and it was also the first time he has a holiday with Min Ho and Shin Hye.

When the car stopped outside Light House Orphanage, Hyun Jun was the first one who jumped down of the car and looking around excitedly. His eyes wandered around the place and when his gaze stopped at a group of children who were playing at the garden, the smile on his face slowly faded. He quickly turned around to his parents that were just got out of the car. He walked to Shin Hye and looked at her.

“Eomma… what is this place? Why so many children over there?” He asked with his lips slightly pouted. He thought they will be going to somewhere that is more fun but the place they bought him looked more like a church or a school to him.

Shin Hye noticed his disappointment and smiled at him. She held his tiny hand and squeezed it softly. “No worries. This is not a school. This is a home. A home where your appa grew up.”

“A home?” He asked as he turned to his father and curiosity written all over his face.

Min Ho looked at his son and nodded. “Eomma is right. When appa was around your age, appa stay here with all other kids. I only follow harabeoji to Seoul when I was 16 years old.” He took a step closer and grasped his hand. “Have you forgotten what appa told you before? Appa is not harabeoji’s biological son. I was adopted by harabeoji.”

Shin Hye kneeled down beside Hyun Jun and looked at him. “The children who stay here don’t have parents like Hyun Jun.” She explained. “But even if they don’t have family like us, they are no different from us. We have to treat them the same and can’t treat them differently. Although they don’t have parents but we are all the same. Hyun Jun have to be polite and be friend with them, arasso?”

“They… don’t have appa and eomma?” Hyun Jun asked with his head slightly tilted to the side.

“Hmmm…” Shin Hye nodded as she brushed a strand of hair away from his forehead. “Hyun Jun is lucky to have appa and eomma with you. But not all the children in this world are as lucky as Hyun Jun. So as a lucky one, we have to share our love and happiness with those unlucky ones and treat them like a family.”

Hyun Jun glanced over to the children who were playing happily at the garden for a long moment before looking back at Shin Hye. “Do I have to be friend with the girls too?”

Shin Hye chuckled softly. “Yes. You have to be friend with them and especially have to treat the girls better.”

“Why?” Hyun Jun asked in confusion. “I don’t like girls.”

Shin Hye pinched his nose and pretended to glare at him. “You have no reason to not like them. First, they are cute and didn’t put any colour on their face. They are all pretty and lovely like angels. And second, if you are lucky, you might find your future wife here.” She paused and shifted her gaze to Min Ho with a sweet smile. “Eomma found my husband here too.”

Min Ho held her gaze and couldn’t help but smile too. This woman always has a way to make his heart fluttered for her.

He then turned to the driver and asked him to wait for them in the car. He needs to go inside first before unloading their luggage. As they slowly walked into the compound of the orphanage, the children that were playing in the garden all become silent in a sudden and looked at three of them with their curious gaze.

An old nun who was sitting together with the children noticed the sudden silence and followed their gaze to the direction they were looking at. She slowly stood up, squinted her eyes and tried to get a clearer look at the three people who was now walking towards her.

As they got closer, Min Ho and Shin Hye bowed politely at the old nun and Hyun Jun followed his parents’ gesture to bow at her too. Min Ho then stepped forward and stopped in front of her with a smile.

“Sister Annie, it’s so good to see you again.” He greeted her.

Sister Annie widened her eyes and looked at him for a long moment, trying to recall the familiar face that she was very sure she saw him before. After a while, her lips slowly parted as old memories began to kick in.

“Min Ho?” She asked in a disbelief tone.

Min Ho nodded and smiled again.

“It’s really you.” Sister Annie said happily as she moved closer and held his hand. How can she ever forget about him? The most handsome, the smartest, the tallest and the coolest child she has ever met.

“Yes, Sister Annie. It’s me, Min Ho.” He said, giving her hand a gentle squeeze. It tightened his chest looking at the lines of wrinkles on her face, the sign and evidence of her aging. “It has been a long time since I left. I’m sorry that I can only come to see you now.” He said as an obvious guilt laced in his voice.

Sister Annie smiled and shook her head. “It has been twelve years already. I’m just glad you are doing so well.” She said as she scanned him from top to toe. “And don’t be sorry. I’m thankful that you still remember us all these years and because of your donations every year, the children here do not need to suffer and can grow up happily. May god bless you for your kindness.”

Min Ho shook his head too. “That’s the least I can do for the orphanage.”

Sister Annie smiled again. “Are you here for work? Where is Se Yeon? You didn’t come back with her? I missed her a lot too.”

Although they were standing at least three feet ahead of where Shin Hye and Hyun were standing, but Shin Hye could still hear what Sister Annie asked Min Ho. She inhaled a deep breath, trying to suppress the uneasy feeling inside of her.

Min Ho averted his gaze and heaved a deep sigh upon hearing Se Yeon’s name. He had already prepared himself to face his past the moment he decided to come back but the feeling was still suffocating. “She… she passed away five years ago.”

“What?” Sister Annie widened her eyes in shock. “What happened?” She asked with tears started to form and reddened her eyes.

Min Ho clenched his jaw and inhaled sharply. He slowly met her gaze again and guilt instantly spread across his face. “It was my fault. I didn’t take good care of her.”

Looking at his expression, Sister Annie knows he was not ready to tell her about it yet and she doesn’t want to force him. She gently patted his hand and let out a soft sigh. “Don’t blame yourself for anything. Everything was fated and planned by the God. I believe Se Yeon is now happy and safe in God’s embrace.”

Min Ho let out a faint smile. “I also hope she could finally find her happiness now.”

Sister Annie moved her gaze over to Shin Hye and Hyun Jun but before she could ask, Min Ho already turned around and pulled them to the front with him. “This is our son, Lee Hyun Jun.” He paused and stole a sideway glance at Shin Hye, afraid that she would be unhappy. “He… he is Se Yeon and my son.” He told her.

Shin Hye sensed his wary gaze on her and quickly let out a smile to assure him that she is okay. She then leaned over to Hyun Jun and looked at him. “Hyun Jun-ah, this is Sister Annie. She took care of your appa when he stay here last time.”

Hyun Jun nodded obediently before looking back at the front and bowed politely. “Annyeonghaseyo, Sister Annie. My name is Lee Hyun Jun and I’m seven years old.”

“Hi, Hyun Jun.” Sister Annie let out a wide smile before looking back at Min Ho. “Your son is so cute. He looks just like you when you were still a kid. He has your eyes… crystal clear and sharp.” She then turned to Shin Hye and smiled at her. “And you are?”

“She is… my wife.” Min Ho didn’t wait for Shin Hye to reply and quickly cut in. He grasped her hand, drawing her closer to him. “We got married few months ago.”

Shin Hye gave Sister Annie a 90-degree bow and smiled at her politely. “Annyeonghaseyo, Sister Annie. Park Shin Hye imnida.”

Sister Annie stared at her for a moment as her name sounded familiar to her. Where did she hear that before? Looking at her intently, her lips curled up into a soft smile. “I’m happy for Min Ho. He has got himself a beautiful wife. Welcome to Light House Orphanage. I hope you like this place and will have a pleasant time here.”

“She will surely have a pleasant time.” Min Ho cut in again as he smiled at Sister Annie. “This is not the first time she came here.”

Sister Annie raised her brows and looked at Shin Hye with a confusion gaze.

Shin Hye smiled. “I’m not sure whether Sister Annie can still remember or not because it has been fourteen years since the first time I came here.” She paused and bit her lip nervously. “Do you still remember there was a young woman who came here with her daughter fourteen years ago? She brought teddy bears and…”

“And delicious pork meat for the children.” Sister Annie cut her off with a wide smile on her face. No wonder her name sounded so familiar to her. She heard it before and she even met her before. But at that time, she was still a young little girl.

Shin Hye nodded happily. “You remember us. Yes, we brought teddy bears and pork meat for the children. I’m Han Ae Jung’s daughter, Park Shin Hye.”

“I didn’t know it was her until she told me recently.” Min Ho said, looking at Shin Hye. He almost lost his pink hairband princess because of his carelessness. “This place was where we first met each other.”

Sister Annie smiled as she looked at Shin Hye. “Of course I remember. Your mother is a very kind woman. And how can I forget the beautiful princess she brought over that day? Look at you. You grew up so well and have become a beautiful young lady now.” She stepped forward and held her hand. “How is your mother? I remember she said she would come here again. But after that day, both of you never visit us again.”

A soft sigh slowly escaped Shin Hye’s lips as she looked at Sister Annie apologetically. “Eomma wanted to come back to visit all of you again too but… she was later diagnosed with a kidney disease. She required frequent dialysis and needed a lot of rest. But eomma didn’t forget all of you. She was so happy knowing I’ll come here again. She asked me to pass her regards to you.”

“Is she okay?” Sister Annie was shocked and asked worriedly.

“Don’t worry. Eomma’s condition is under control. She is fine.” Shin Hye assured her with a warm smile.

Sister Annie felt relieved. “May god bless her.” She said, as she looked at both of them. She took Min Ho’s hand and held both of their hands tightly in hers. “I’m so happy for both of you. Because of the encounter fourteen years ago, you have both found your happiness now.” She smiled. “God is the most ultimate matchmaker because He knows the plan He has for two people in advance, He sees their gifting and how they complement each other. He brings them together at the right time and in the right place.”

Min Ho turned to Shin Hye and their eyes locked at each other with a smile.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------- 

 

Kitchen…

 

After Sister Annie showed them the room they will sleep tonight and settled everything down, Shin Hye followed Sister Annie to the kitchen and helped her to prepare lunch for the people in the orphanage.

“You should just stay outside with Min Ho and Hyun Jun. You are our guest and you shouldn’t come in here. The kitchen is very dirty.” Sister Annie said.

Shin Hye smiled as she started to clean the ingredients for the lunch. “Please don’t say that Sister Annie. Cooking for the children is something I always love to do. But I was too busy with work and couldn’t find the time to come here last time. And moreover, I should do something to thank Sister Annie for letting us to stay here tonight. I hope we didn’t cause you any trouble.”

“Of course not.” Sister Annie smiled at her. “We have extra room here and I just hope you don’t mind to stay in an old place like this. It has been twelve years since Min Ho left and I really missed him a lot.”

“Oppa missed Sister Annie too. He was so excited the whole week knowing he will see you today.” Shin Hye said as she continued to wash the vegetables in the basin.

Sister Annie studied her for a long moment and let out a small smile. “How fast time flies.” She broke the silence again. “Fourteen years ago, you were still a kid and it was your mother who helped me in the kitchen. And now, you are the one who help me like how your mother did last time. You grew up so well and looks so much like your mother.”

Shin Hye turned to her and a soft smile curled her lips. “I’m happy to be able to come here again. This place is very meaningful to me.” She paused as the smile on her face widened. “This place was where I first met Min Ho oppa and fell in love with him.”

Sister Annie nodded. “I can understand how you feel. What is there not to love about that young man?” She smiled, looking at Shin Hye. “Although he struggled a lot during his childhood but he managed to overcome it and has become a very successful person now. I’m so proud of him.”

Shin Hye bit her lip, hesitated for a moment before she decided to ask. “How did… Min Ho oppa come to Light House Orphanage?”

Sister Annie raised her brows. “He didn’t tell you before?”

“He doesn’t like to talk about his past.” Shin Hye said with a faint smile. “I was actually quite surprise that he will bring us here.”

Looking at Shin Hye, a deep sigh escaped Sister Annie’s lips. “He was only three years old when he first arrived here. Although he was so young back then but he was already very matured compared to other children at his age. He doesn’t cry, doesn’t like to mix with other children.” She paused and heaved another deep sigh. “His parents separated and neither one of them wants to take care of him. His mother ran away with a rich man and nobody knows where did his father gone to. He was later given to a rich relative from his mother’s side but they gave him up after a month taking care of him. They said… he was a burden. And that was how he ended up in Light House Orphanage.”   

A wave of shooting pain radiated through Shin Hye’s chest and caused her breathing became heavy upon hearing Min Ho’s past. She knows he had a tough childhood but she didn’t thought it would be so heart wrenching. He never told her that he was abandoned by his parents.

“I was so worried about him when he just came here. He was always alone, doesn’t speak and doesn’t react to anything we said to him.” Sister Annie continued. “But the whole situation became so much better when Se Yeon started to approach him. The sweet and lovely two years old Se Yeon was the only person who could melts his coldness. Although both of them were just small kids at that time but they were very close to each other. They always stick together and do everything together.” She paused and let out a soft chuckle, as the faint memories slowly replayed in her mind. “A cold Min Ho and a lively Se Yeon. They just clicked so well and since then, wherever Se Yeon goes, Min Ho will be following her from behind.”

Shin Hye bit her lip softly and inhaled a silent breath. She doesn’t need Sister Annie to explain how close they were because she witnessed it herself when she first met them here. Min Ho was so protective over Se Yeon and the way he looked at her were still intact in her mind.

“As they grew up, their feeling for each other naturally grew stronger too. Everyone here knows how much Min Ho adores her and his feeling for her was very obvious. I wasn’t surprise when I knew they got married few years after they left the orphanage.” Sister Annie added but paused again when she suddenly realized that the person who was listening to the story was Min Ho’s current wife.

“I-I’m sorry.” She apologized.

Shin Hye let out an awkward smile and shook her head softly. “Don’t be sorry. I met Se Yeon before and I know she was a very lovely girl. If I’m a guy and met her earlier, I think I will fall in love with her too.” She exhaled a soft breath before smiling at her again. “I know everything was in the past and I won’t mind. The moment I chose to be with Min Ho oppa, I have decided to love him all including his past.”

Sister Annie moved forward and reached out to hold her hand. “Just by watching the way you treat Min Ho and Hyun Jun, I can see how much you love him. I know it’s not easy for a woman to be a stepmother. But I can see how much Hyun Jun likes you and cling to you. I’m sure you are a good mother.”

Shin Hye smiled again. “I’m still learning to be one. I think it was a fate that I met Hyun Jun and he was the one who brought us together. Although I’m not his biological mother, but very strangely, we love each other a lot. I’ll try my best to love him more, educate him and take care of him.”

“I’m very happy for Min Ho.” Sister Annie said as she gave Shin Hye a soft squeeze on her hand. “You are very different from Se Yeon and I think you are the right woman that Min Ho need.”

Shin Hye looked at her with a curious gaze as she waited patiently for her to continue.

“Se Yeon’s character is very lively and she is a sweet girl. But she is not a person that will do something to make the people around her happy. Being with her is not easy. She won’t scarify even if she love that person a lot. In their relationship, Min Ho was always the giver and Se Yeon was forever a taker. He spoil her, adores her and no matter what she did is right or wrong, he will always support her and help her.” Sister Annie said as she averted her gaze.

“When Min Ho was 15 years old, there was a young couple who came here and wanted to adopt him. But because Se Yeon was very sad and doesn’t want him to leave her, Min Ho rejected the adoption without even consider about it. A year later, another family came and this time they wanted to adopt Se Yeon. She was so happy and accepted it without even asking Min Ho. Although he looked happy for her but I know deep inside his heart, he was bleeding.” She paused again and heaved a deep sigh.

“But as what I said earlier, God has his plan in advance and know what is the best for his child. A rich businessman adopted Min Ho after a year Se Yeon left. Lee In Sik loves him, educate and train him to be his heir. It was a better life for him after all.” Sister Annie tightened her grip around Shin Hye’s hand and looked at her. “Please treat him well. He deserves to be love. He might look strong but deep inside of him, he has his weakness too.”      

Shin Hye held her gaze for a short moment before she nodded with a smile. “I will treat him wholeheartedly and give him and Hyun Jun a complete family… a complete home.”

 

---------------------------------------------------------------

 

Garden…

 

After they had finished their lunch, Shin Hye helped Sister Annie to wash the dishes while Min Ho stay in the garden with Hyun Jun and the orphans. When Shin Hye was don

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter