A Contract Husband

A Contract Wife
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

4 months ago…

Hospital, Busan…

 

Park Shin Hye slowly opened her eyes with a throbbing and pounding head. Her vision was a bit blurry but it slowly cleared, only to see the clean, bleached white of the ceiling above her. Taking a soft inhale of breath, she slowly turned her head to the side and saw two men standing beside her bed.

The one in white is obviously a doctor as the one who is talking to him was the man that she met in the airport just now. What is his name again? If she remembered correctly, he did introduce himself before she fainted. But her head was hurting so much at that time and can’t even focus on anything he said. Did she know him? She wasn’t sure. But he indeed looks familiar.

“Eo… Shin Hye. You are awake.” Park Seo Joon moved closer to the bed when he saw Shin Hye looking at him.

Shin Hye let out a weak smile before she carefully sat herself up. “It must be you who send me here. Thank you.” She spoke, her voice is raspy.

“How are you feeling? You were fainted at the airport just now.” Seo Joon asked in concern.

Taking another deep breath, she nodded her head softly. “I feel much better. But my head is still… dizzy.”

“That is because your sugar level is very low.”

Shin Hye slowly looked up when the doctor cut in. “Is everything okay with me? It has been days since I have headache and dizziness. Sometimes… my hands are even shaking. I feel… lack of energy and very tired most of the time.”

“It’s normal you feel like that because headache, dizziness, pounding heart and tiredness are some of the symptoms of low blood sugar.” The doctor explained.

“Then… what makes her sugar level so low? Is anything wrong with her health?” Seo Joon asked.

“There is a lot of reason that could cause low blood sugar in a person. For example, if you have the habit of delaying your meal, skipping your meal, eat too little, taking too much of insulin… all these can make your sugar level decreased.” The doctor replied before he looked back at Shin Hye and let out a smile. “But for Park Shin Hye-sshi case, I think there is an obvious reason to cause that.”

“Obvious reason?” Shin Hye creased her brows in confusion.

The doctor nodded. “This is one of the most common case I found in a lot of pregnant women. Pregnancy affects the way sugar is processed in our bodies, and low blood sugar is something that happens to many women. So, as long as you take your meal on time, eat sufficient amount of healthy foods and have plenty of rest, I’m sure you will be fine.”

Shin Hye’s eyes widened in shock as her lips parted, words got stuck in , unable to say anything. What did he just said? Pregnant? How could it be? She was trying so hard to get pregnant for the past fifteen months but nothing happen. Even Doctor Han has already confirmed that she has ovulation problem. The chance of getting pregnant is very low and even after she took the fertility pills for two months it was still not successful. But now… why now?

“Park Shin Hye-sshi? Do you know you are pregnant?” The doctor asked, breaking the silence after a long moment.

Seo Joon stared at Shin Hye and by looking at her shock expression, he can tell that she doesn’t know about it yet.

“I…” Shin Hye bit her lip and slowly shook her head. “I… I don’t know.”

“I see.” The doctor smiled kindly at her. “You are five weeks pregnant and looking at your blood test result, everything looks good. Nothing to worry about. But to be safe, I’ll transfer your case to the obstetrics department.”

“Does she need to stay here for tonight?” Seo Joon asked the doctor again.

“It will be better to stay a night so that we could monitor her condition and make sure both she and the baby is okay.” The doctor paused, turning to the nurse beside him and gave her some instructions before looking back at Shin Hye and Seo Joon again. “I’ll get the nurse to arrange the admission for you. Please wait here for a moment.”

“Thank you, doctor.” Seo Joon said and just when the doctor left the temporary ward, he quickly turned back at Shin Hye, who was still stunned with the pregnancy news.

He cleared his throat, trying to gain her attention back. “Do you… want me to contact your… husband?” He asked in a cautious tone.

Shin Hye slowly looked up and met his gaze again. “I just file for divorce this morning. I don’t have a husband now.”

Seo Joon was taken aback, doesn’t know how to react for a moment. “Hmmm… then maybe… I could call your… family. Your father or… your brother?”

“How do you know I have a brother?” Shin Hye asked, still couldn’t remember who he is.

“You still don’t remember me, do you?” Seo Joon chuckled softly. “My name is Park Seo Joon. I used to live beside your house when we were kids. But my family moved to another place when I was around fourteen. You know… the big fat boy that your handsome brother used to tease last time.”

 Shin Hye’s eyes grew bigger. “You… you mean… you are fatty oppa?” She asked and scanned him from top to toe in a disbelief gaze.

“Oh my god. This is so embarrassing. You still remember that name but you don’t remember my face.” Seo Joon , trying to lighten the intense atmosphere.

Shin Hye bit her lower lip and smiled embarrassedly. “I’m sorry. You… you changed a lot. You were like… 180 pounds last time.”

“I went through a very strict diet programme after I moved.” He smiled. “Why are you here? I heard that your family moved to Seoul about two years ago.”

The smile on Shin Hye’s face disappeared the moment she heard the word ‘Seoul’. If they didn’t move there, everything will be different now. She won’t meet Min Ho and will not end up heartbroken. “They are still in Seoul.” She replied, looking down. “I came back alone.”

Seo Joon pursed his lips and just stared at her. She said she just filed the divorce today and she came back here alone. She seems to be facing some problems that she needs to be away from her family. “You… don’t seem to know that you are pregnant. You even look… very surprise.”

“I was told that… I have problem of conceiving a baby two months ago.” She inhaled a deep breath before looking up at him again. “If this happen to me few months ago, I might be jumping in joy and couldn’t stop myself from laughing. But now… I don’t even know I should be happy or sad that the baby come at this time.”

There was another moment of silence as Seo Joon was trying to think for something to say that it would make her feel better. Putting a warm smile on his face, he moved closer to her and gave her hand a gentle squeeze. “Although I don’t really know what happened to you but… having a child is always a blessing. If you ask me, I would say you should be happy. Being a mother… is the most beautiful character in this world.”

A mother.

Shin Hye held his gaze for a long moment before she looked down and put her hand against her flat stomach. He was right. A mother, a character that she always dreams to be. And now, her dream has finally come true. She should be happy for having this beautiful life inside of her.

 

---------------------------------------------------------

 

4 months later…

Shin Hye’s apartment…

  

“Y-You… you… you are pregnant.”

Shin Hye closed her eyes and gasped heavily. After so many months hiding from him, he finally found out the secret she has been trying so hard to keep away from everyone.

Min Ho was still stunned by the news as his eyes couldn’t tear away from her baby bump in her stomach. So, this is the reason why she looked so different. She looked happy because… she is pregnant. Her face is glowing because… she is pregnant. And she has gained some weight since last time. He thought it was because of the over-sized knitted cardigan that makes her look chubbier but it was not. Everything was because… she is pregnant.

Slowly, he was brought back to his senses and worries started to kick into him. He scanned her from top to toe worriedly as he held her hands and looked back at her.

“Are you okay? Did I hurt you just now? I… I pushed you to the door very hard…” His voice was shaking. “I… I’m sorry. I didn’t know. Let’s go to the hospital to check.”

“I’m fine.” Shin Hye said, trying to assure him. Looking at his stunned expression, she is more worried about him.

Min Ho looked unconvinced as his eyes were still staring anxiously at her. “Are you sure? You… you were crying. Did you feel anywhere in pain or… I… you…”

“I said I’m fine!” Shin Hye raised her voice as she held his hand back, adding more pressure into her grip to bring his attention back to her. “Please calm down.”

“How can I calm down? You are pregnant. You are pregnant with my baby!” Min Ho blurted out as the level of his voice increased too.

“If you are going to continue being like this, I don’t think we can continue with this conversation.” Shin Hye sighed helplessly.

No! They need to continue with this conversation because there are a lot of things he need to know, need to ask. His gaze slowly softened as he tried to inhale a long, deep breath to calm himself down. After a moment, he finally spoke again, in a calmer voice. “I’m sorry. But… are you sure I didn’t hurt you just now? I was… quite rough and...”

“No… you didn’t.” Shin Hye cut him off, her voice was firm and convincing this time.

He slowly nodded his head as he took another deep breath. “Okay. I’m very calm now. I’m ready and we should continue this conversation at somewhere more comfortable for you.”

“What… ahhh…” But before Shin Hye could ask what does he mean, he took a step closer to her, reached his arms out and lifted her up. “Yah, Lee Min Ho. What are you doing? Put me down.”

As Min Ho walked towards the hallway, he paused for a moment and looked at her. A small smile spread across his face at the same time. “I missed the way you ‘Yah, Lee Min Ho’ at me.” He faced back to the front and continued to walk into the small hallway. “Which one is your room?” He asked, stopping at the two doors.

“I said put me down. We… we can talk in the living room.” Shin Hye protested.

“The couch is too small and I want you to lie down comfortably.” Min Ho said, ignoring her protest. “Are you not going to tell me which one is your room?” He nodded his head softly when he still didn’t get an answer from her. “It’s okay. There are only two doors. I can check myself.”

“The one at the right.” Shin Hye quickly reply him, afraid that he will drop her down. She is not as light as before now. After she was pregnant, she has gained a lot of weight and it felt embarrass for letting him to carry her like that.

She helped him to open the door as he slowly walked into the small room and carefully put her on her bed. He took a seat beside her, as his eyes were busy glancing around the room. Although it was very small, with only a single bed, a small cupboard and a small table, it still look tidy and clean. It feels comfortable.

He then turned back to her as his eyes naturally dropped down to her stomach and let out a deep sigh. “How far along are you?” He asked softly, his eyes still glued at her stomach.

“Five months.”

Five long months and he were totally clueless about her pregnancy. Another sigh escaped his lips as he looked up at her. “Who know about this?”

“No one.” Shin Hye shook her head, looking away.

“Not even your parents?” Min Ho narrowed his gaze. “But they know you are here.”

Shin Hye heaved a deep sigh before meeting his eyes again. It’s no use to hide anymore since he already knows almost everything now. “A week before I left, I went home and told them that… I want to divorce. I told them everything about how we met, how we got married because of the money and… Se Yeon came back. Although they don’t quite agree with the idea but they don’t want to see me sad and have to support my decision. My father find a lawyer to prepare the separation documents and rented this place for me.”

“They didn’t come to visit you?”

She nodded. “Twice. My father came the first and second month after I moved here. You know my mother’s health is not well so she couldn’t come along. I know they are worried about me but because they want me to be happy, they were forced to let me go. If I told them I’m pregnant, they will be even more worried.” She paused and bit her lip. “I know my mother. If she knows, she will insist to come here and take care of me. They are not young anymore. I don’t want them to travel all the way here so often.”

“So… I’m not the only one you are lying to.”

“I didn’t lie.” Shin Hye argued.

“But you didn’t tell me.” Min Ho argued back.

“I didn’t know I’m pregnant until I fainted at Busan airport.”

Min Ho widened his eyes upon hearing what she said. “You what? You fainted?”

“I was already feeling unwell before I came here. My head always feel dizzy and my whole body was always tired. I thought it was my bad mood that caused it.” She paused again and breathed deeply. “I was still on the fertility pill when Se Yeon just moved in with us. But… with everything that happened after that, I didn’t go back to see Doctor Han. I thought it would not successful like the first month. And then… I fought with Hyun Jun and followed by the accident at the school; I don’t even remember my period was late.”

“Why did you faint? What the doctor said? Is everything okay with you?” The anger in his eyes a while ago was now replaced with worries and anxiousness. He doesn’t care why she didn’t know she is pregnant. He is more worried about her health.

“My sugar level was very low. I didn’t have appetite and didn’t have proper meal. But the doctor said it’s normal for a pregnant woman to have low sugar level sometimes.” She explained.

“Is… everything okay now?” He asked again.

Shin Hye nodded her head slowly. “The doctor did an ultrasound for me and confirmed that the baby is healthy.” She bit her lip as her eyes moved down to her rounded stomach with her hand caressing it softly. “I was very unsure at first… but the moment I heard the baby’s heart beat for the first time, I know I have to be strong. I always hope to be pregnant and become a mother. This baby is my dream comes true. Although it won’t be easy but I’ll try my best to protect the baby.”

“And you didn’t for one second think of telling me about this?” Min Ho asked, his voice was painful and hurt.

“What do you want me to tell you?” Shin Hye looked back at him as her eyes were starting to tear up. “Se Yeon came back and make it clear that she want Hyun Jun and you back. There is no reason for me to stay in that house anymore. I have decided to end everything with you. Knowing this or not, it’s not important anymore.”

“But I’m the baby’s father.” Min Ho raised his voice.

“You are Hyun Jun’s father too. I’m not the only responsibility you have. You still have Se Yeon.” She reminded him.

“She is gone. She is no longer my responsibility anymore. Not now, not in the future.” He could feel his blood pressure rising as his face turning red. She has to be the most stubborn but most lovable woman he had ever met.

“But everything is too late.” She averted her gaze to avoid his eyes. “I will not let myself to turn back.”

There was a moment of silence; neither knows what to say next. Min Ho closed his eyes briefly before he opened it again and leaned closer to her. “Are you going to separate the baby from me forever? Are you going to raise the baby alone and let the baby grow up without a father?” He asked, as the tone of his voice was almost painful to hear.

“But the baby have me, have a mother. What is wrong with that? I will use everything I have to take care of the baby. I won’t let him or her to suffer. Even without you, we can live happily. We don’t need you.” She paused and bit her bottom lip hard. “You already have Hyun Jun. You can…”

“But we need you.” Min Ho cut her off as he reached out and grasped her hands tightly. “Hyun Jun and me… we need you. How can you be so cruel and leave us just like that?” He asked, looking deeply into her eyes.

Shin Hye felt the cold pang of guilt slipping into her chest as the tears blurred her vision. But she can’t give in. She can’t let the same mistake happen to her again.

Forcing herself to harden her heart, she spoke again. “I’m very happy with my life now. Although my heart will still ache once in a while but I feel very peaceful here. After almost two years being with you, I have never felt so… free, so calm and peaceful.”

Min Ho shook his head. “You are lying. You still love me. I can feel it when I kiss you just now.” He held her hand up and showed her the bangle she was wearing on her wrist. “And this bangle. If you don’t love me, why are you still wearing it? This is our ‘inseparable love’ bangle. You are wearing it because you still love me.”

They stared each other in the eyes for a moment before Shin Hye letting out a deep sigh. “First, I’m still wearing this because I can’t find the key to unlock it.” She paused and sighed again. “Second, I didn’t deny that I still love you. If fourteen years wasn’t enough to forget about you in the past, do you think four months will be enough to do so?”

“Then what is stopping you? Se Yeon is gone, Hyun Jun already know the truth and nothing is blocking in between us anymore.” He asked in frustration.

“Love is not enough in a relationship. After so many things that had happened in between us, I realized there is always something that was lack in us.” She bit her lip and held her eyes low. “Trust and understanding.” She inhaled a deep breath, trying to hold back the tears that were threatening to escape her eyes. “We don’t trust each other enough and we don’t understand each other well. If I trust you, no matter what Se Yeon do, she will never succeed. But my insecurity let her slowly stepped into our relationship and come in between us.” She stopped and sniffed before looking up to meet his eyes again. “Same goes to you. If you understand me well, you will know how much it hurts my heart when I know Se Yeon was still alive and how you still let all this to happen. And you believe her more than me.”

Min Ho shook his head defensively. “I didn’t”   

“You did.” Shin Hye bit her lip and the memory of the fight in their rooms few months ago slowly replayed in her mind again. “When you just came back from Japan, I told you something is wrong with her. But you don’t believe me. You keep defending her, protecting her like I was some kind of insane woman who try to accuse her for something she didn’t do.”

“I… I didn’t mean to…” Min Ho held his tongue and didn’t know how to argue back this time because everything she said seems to be true. Their relationship didn’t build on a strong foundation. They don’t trust each other, don’t understand each other enough. Their problem is like a time bomb. It will explode whenever something triggers it.  

Shin Hye slowly pulled her hand away from him and looked into his eyes. “I made the right decision to leave. Even with me pregnant now… it doesn’t change anything. But I won’t keep the baby away from you. No matter what happen to us, you will always be the baby’s father. I promise you that you will get to see the baby.”

Min Ho looked away and heaved a deep, helpless sigh. What he wants is not only to see the baby. He wants to be a part of the baby’s life. He wants to be with Shin Hye and want all of them to be together.

Taking a deep breath, he slowly turned back to her and changed the topic. He knows even if they continue to argue, no one will give in today. “What have you been doing these four months? You didn’t touch the money in our joint account.”

“Those money are yours, not mine.” Shin Hye said quietly.

“What is mine is yours too.” Min Ho said sternly. “You resigned from your job without any income. How are you going to survive?” He asked in frustration.

“I’m working as a piano teacher now. The parents send their children here for class. Although I don’t have many students now but… at least it’s a good start. I have some savings and… I don’t use a lot of money. The pay I earn is more than enough for me.” Shin Hye replied.

“That man just now… he…” MH paused and heaved another deep sigh before he continued again. “Doesn’t matter.” This is not the right time to be jealous. He need to clear his mind and think of a way to make things right rather to ask some childish question about another man.

He stood up abruptly and looked at her. “I… I… I’ll leave now.”

Shin Hye was surprised and didn’t thought he would just leave like that. She could feel a slight pang of disappointment gripped her stomach the moment he said he is leaving.

When Min Ho opened the door and wanted to step out, Shin Hye wanted to get up too. “Let me walk you…”

“Don’t move.” Min Ho turned around and stopped her from getting up. “Rest here. I’ll lock the door for you. You… take care.” Taking one last lingering look at her, he took a deep breath before leaving the room and closed the door.

After a moment, Shin Hye heard the sound of the front door open and close. He left. Without trying to fight harder, he just left without another word. So… does it mean… he is giving up? Is this really what she wants?

 

------------------------------------------------------------

 

Next morning…

Shin Hye’s apartment, Busan…

 

Ding dong ding dong…

Shin Hye’s eyes fluttered open as the doorbell echoed loudly throughout her apartment. She turned to the clock on the bedside table and let out an annoyed groan. It was only 7am now and who will come to her apartment so early in the morning? Seo Joon normally send Jae Eun over to her place around 8.30am and if he needs to come early, he will surely call her first before he come. This is definitely not him. 

Slowly bringing herself up into a sitting position, she moved her hand to caress her rounded stomach and let out a small smile. Whenever she felt there is a life growing strongly inside of her, it makes her day so much more beautiful. But then, the image of Min Ho that was here yesterday crossed her mind. Her peaceful life is no longer peaceful anymore. As what she understands about him, it was really strange that he just left her alone yesterday without doing anything.

Ding dong ding dong…

Another groan escaped her lips when the doorbell was heard again and it doesn’t seem like it will stop unless she open the door now. She carefully climbed down of the bed and walked out of her room, heading towards the living room. Taking a quick glance at the door monitor, she stunned for a brief moment before she sighed deeply. She was right. Her peaceful life is officially gone now.

“What are you doing here again?” This was the first thing Shin Hye asked the moment she opened the door and her eyes were glaring murderously at the person, who was standing outside with a small luggage beside him. His lips were curled up in a wide smile.

“Good morning.” Min Ho spoke, sounding cheery and happy.

Calm down. Don’t be angry. It’s not good for the baby.

Shin Hye took in a deep mouthful of air and exhaled it slowly before meeting his gaze again. This is the first time she saw him smiling like this… smiling like… an idiot. The smirk irritates her and she could feel some kind of heat boiling in her veins. “Do you know what is the time now? Do you know how much rest a pregnant woman need in one day? What I said to you was very clear. I told you yesterday that I’m happy with my life here and…”

“I’m hungry.” Min Ho cut her off, still smiling.

“What?” Shin Hye creased her brows, looking at him in disbelief. “ You… you what?”

“I said… I’m hungry. Did you cook? I didn’t have my dinner last night and now… I’m very hungry.” Min Ho caressed his stomach and another mischievous smile spread across his face.

“You… you came here early in the morning and expect a pregnant woman to cook for you?” Her voice is getting louder as she spoke, raising until she was almost shouting. “Lee Min Ho, are you kidding me? If you are hungry you can eat in the hotel or… yah!”

Her sentence was cut off when Min Ho gently pushed passed her and walked into the apartment with his hand pulling his luggage. “Yah! What are you doing? I didn’t say you could come in.”

Min Ho turned around and looked at her, as if he didn’t hear anything she said to him. “Before I left yesterday, I kind of peek into your fridge. There are lot foods in there. And… for the sake of the baby, I’m sure you will cook instead of eating outside.” He placed his luggage beside the couch before looking at her again, grinning like a kid. “Can you cook for me as well? Please… I’m starving.”

Shin Hye bit her lip hard, blood continued to boil in her veins. But she can’t let her anger control herself and affect the baby. The doctor said it’s not good for a mother to be too emotional during the pregnancy.

Calm down. Don’t be angry. It’s not good for the baby.

She took a very deep inhale of breath before she slammed the door close behind her. “Fine. Get out of my sight right after you finish eating.”

“Thank you.” Min Ho let out a victorious smile.

Giving him a death glare, Shin Hye walked into the bathroom to clean herself before preparing breakfast for the most annoying man in the world.

~~~~~

“Hmmm… this one is delicious. It’s heaven. I missed your cooking.” Min Ho scooped a piece of the dishes in front of him and put it into his mouth, chewing it with a very satisfying expression.

Shin Hye looked up at him and let out an exaggerated sigh. “In case there is something wrong with your brain, let me remind you. That thing you just put into your mouth and said very delicious, it’s called carrot. You hate it.”

“Did I?” He tilted his head, as if he doesn’t remember it at all. “Hmmm… you might be right. Something must be wrong with my brain. I love it now.” He said with a smirk as he put another piece of the carrot into his mouth.

Shin Hye inhaled a sharp breath as she glowered at him, annoyed by his incomprehensible behaviour. Compared to this annoying, smiley Lee Min Ho, she preferred the ice cold Lee Min Ho more. Putting last spoon of rice into , she stood up and took her empty plate with her.

“You are done eating already?” Min Ho asked in surprise.

She let out a sarcastic smile before glaring at him. “I don’t have much appetite. Thanks to you.” She sneered and walked to the kitchen.

Min Ho quickly stuffed all the foods into his mouth and took the empty plates, rushed into the kitchen too. Shin Hye was already washing the plates with her back facing him.

“Just put the plates there. I’ll wash.” She said without turning around.

Min Ho slowly walked closer to her and gently placed the plates beside the basin. He turned to her and asked in a cautious tone. “You eat so little for your breakfast. Doesn’t a pregnant woman should eat a lot?”

Shin Hye stopped what she was doing, taking a deep breath before turning to face him. “To be frank, I usually eat a lot. But because of someone is here today, my appetite was completely gone.” She scoffed before looking back at the basin and continued to wash the plates. “And what do you know about pregnant woman? You…” She paused and chuckled as something crossed her mind. “Eo… I almost forgot that you have a lot of experience. Se Yeon must have eat a lot when she was pregnant last time.” She said sarcastically.

Great. Se Yeon again.

Min Ho cleared his throat as his hand moved to the back and rubbed his nape nervously. “T-That’s not what I mean.”

After finished washing the plates, Shin Hye put it all back into the cabinet and looked at him again. “I don’t really care what you mean.” She said coldly before walking away from him and left the kitchen.

Min Ho quickly followed behind and stopped at th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter