The Secret Revealed

A Contract Wife
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lee Mansion…

 

“I think… you better come now. She… Se Yeon is not in a good shape.”

Si Wan’s voice kept ringing in Lee Min Ho’s ear even after he has ended the call for almost fifteen minutes now. Se Yeon is back. After six years, she is back again. He never thought this would happen because she was very firm with her decision last time and Kim Soo Hyun promised him that after he brought Se Yeon to Taiwan, they will never return again. He will not let her appear in front of him ever again. But why? Why are they back now? Se Yeon was in the hospital and Si Wan said she was not in a good condition. What happened to her? And why must it have to be now? Why must this happen when he already started a new family and have a wife that he love very much?

Shin Hye… how should he tell her? She thought Se Yeon was dead and he promised her that this secret would not affect their relationship when they were in Busan. At that time, he really thought it wouldn’t affect them because he was so sure Se Yeon wouldn’t come back. But now, if Shin Hye knows about it, he can’t imagine how will she react to all this. She was still in the midst of overcoming the infertility issues and now… another problem arise. How can she handle all this in the same time?

Heaving a deep sigh, he forced himself not to think anymore and quickly leave the study room. He has to go to the hospital and find out what exactly happen to Se Yeon.

When he opened the door and stepped inside the bedroom, Shin Hye was still awake and was sitting on the bed with her back leaning against the headboard. She was in her deep thought and he knows she was worrying about their blood test result next week.

She looked up at Min Ho when she heard the door opened and let out a light smile on her face. “Have you finished your work? I thought you said you have to work in the study room until very late tonight.”

Min Ho walked to the bed and sat in front of her. Looking deeply into her eyes, he held her hand tightly in his. “N-No… it’s not done yet. I… I received a call from Sung bujang just now and said… there is some problem with the new project. You know… the new Japan project.” He lied.

Shin Hye straightened herself and looked at him worriedly. “Is it very serious?”

Min Ho shook his head. “It’s just something that we need to discuss urgently before the meeting tomorrow. I… I need to go back to the office now.” He lied again. He felt extremely bad for lying but he has no choice. He can’t be honest to her now before he finds out what happen to Se Yeon.

“Okay. I’ll take your clothes out for you.” She said, as she wanted to get up but stopped by Min Ho.

“I’ll do it myself.” He said, still looking at her. He sighed deeply as his hands reached out to touch her face. “I know you are worried but it worried me even more looking at you like this. Your face is so pale and tired.”

Shin Hye forced a smile and shook her head. “I’m okay.”

“You are not.” He said again as he pulled her into his arms. Pressing his lips to her temple, he tightened his arms around her. “Don’t think too much. I promise you… no matter what happen, I’ll always be here with you.” His heart has to be firm. He can’t waver no matter what happen.

“Hmmm… I know.” Shin Hye pulled back slightly and looked up at him. “Faster go. Drive safely.”

Min Ho nodded. I’m sorry.

“Sleep earlier. Don’t wait for me.” He said.

“Okay.” Shin Hye smiled.  

He looked at her for a long moment and he couldn’t control himself anymore. Cupping her face firmly in place, he slanted his mouth over hers, capturing her lips in a firm, searing kiss. He doesn’t know why but he felt scared in a sudden. He felt like something bad is going to happen. He is worried… worried that once he saw Se Yeon again, he couldn’t control himself and he might hurt Shin Hye. He has hurt her enough and he can’t let himself to hurt her again. He can’t.

Shin Hye held his wrist and tilted her head, gasping heavily as she was frightened by his sudden urgent and aggressive kiss. When he finally pulled away and pressed his forehead against hers, she slowly opened her eyes and looked into his.

“Are you okay?” She asked softly.

“I love you.” Min Ho said, locking their gaze together. “Don’t ever doubt that."

 

----------------------------------------------------------

 

Hospital…

 

Min Ho quickened his pace, searching for the information counter when he stepped into the lobby of the hospital. But before he could reach there, someone familiar caught his eyes. He stopped walking and looked at the person who was sitting on one of the chairs in the lobby alone. It was Krystal. She already saw him when he came in just now. She stood up of the chair and slowly walked towards him.

“Sajang-nim.” Krystal greeted him softly. Her face was pale and her eyes were red. She looked like she has just cried before.

“What are you doing here?” Min Ho asked.

“Si Wan oppa is waiting for you in the ward. I guess he already text you the room number.” Instead of replying his question, she just told him that Si Wan was waiting for him. She seems to know the reason why he was here now.

And before he could question her again, she has already walked away, leaving him standing there alone. He stared at her for a moment and let out a soft sigh. How long have Si Wan started to date her? Three days? One week? If in just such a short period of time being together could already hurt Krystal so badly, what will happen if Shin Hye finds out about this? She will definitely be even more heartbroken.

Taking a deep breath, he forced himself to stop thinking the consequences and quickly walked to the elevator.

When he reached the sixth floor where the room that Si Wan texted him just now was located, it took a long minute before he found the courage to open the door and walked inside to the room. His step frozen immediately the moment he saw the woman that was now lying on the bed, looking weak and fragile. She was sleeping but her face was not peaceful at all.

Se Yeon? Is that really the Se Yeon he knows? Her face was as white as paper, her body was so thin and her eyes looked so huge on her overly slim face. What happened to her? Why did she look even worse than the last time he sent her away six years ago?

Without even noticing Si Wan and Soo Hyun were also in the room, Min Ho rushed towards her and sat down beside the bed. But just when he wanted to hold her hand, Si Wan stopped him.

“Don’t wake her up. The nurse gave her some sleeping pill just now.” Si Wan said and inhaled a deep breath. “She… she can’t sleep at night and it has been like this for a while. Her body is very weak. She needs some time to recover and… it will needs a long time. Her emotional state is not stable right now.”

Min Ho closed his eyes and a sharp breath escaped his lips. “What happened to her?” His heart felt like burning.

Si Wan turned to Soo Hyun and glared at him. “Maybe you should check with the man that you think he could take care of her when you decided to give her to him last time.”

Min Ho opened his eyes again and stood up. Taking one last lingering look at Se Yeon, he turned around to walk to the door and stopped beside Soo Hyun without looking at him. “I need to talk to you. Outside, now!” His voice was deep and dangerous. And without waiting for Soo Hyun to react, Min Ho already walked out of the room.

 

All three of them were now standing outside of Se Yeon’s room while Soo Hyun was just standing at the side with his head held low. His unresponsiveness angered Min Ho further as he lunged forward and grabbed him by his collar. He wanted to punch this man very long ago but because of Se Yeon, he has to restraint himself until now.

“What did you do to her?” Min Ho raised his voice, looking murderously into his dull eyes. When Soo Hyun just stared at him without giving him any response, it angered Min Ho even more. He tightened his fist on his collar and pinned him harshly against the wall. “Open your mouth and answer me!”

Si Wan quickly walked to Min Ho and pulled him away. “Min Ho, stop. This is a hospital. You will alert the nurses and wakes Se Yeon up. Calm down.”

Min Ho yanked his arms away and glared at Soo Hyun. “You promised me that you would take care of her. See what have you done to her. I agreed to let her go because you made a promise!” He paused and inhaled sharply. “You said you love her. You said you would be a better husband compared to me. I believe you and I let her go. But why is she lying there in the damn bed like a dead corpse?”

Soo Hyun looked up to meet his eyes and let out an inward chuckle. “Maybe both of us made a mistake. I was overly confident and thought I could do better than you. But life is not something you think it will goes as what you plan. It always turns out to be other way round.” He paused and looked into Min Ho’s eyes. “I can’t do this anymore.” He clenched his jaw. “I can’t stand being with a woman that her heart always have another man inside.”

Min Ho creased his brows and held his breath. What does he mean by having another man inside her heart? She told him that she love Soo Hyun. “What another man?”

Soo Hyun chuckled sadly. “You. She has always missed you even after so many years being together with me. Pathetic, right? When she was with you, she wants to be with me. And when she was with me, she regret to leave you.”

Si Wan turned to Min Ho and the gritted sound from his teeth was clearly heard. He was angry, extremely angry.

“Don’t try to push back the blame to me when you couldn’t do your job well as a husband. If you treat her well, she will not be like this.” Min Ho drew in a deep breath. “Something must have happened to her that caused her to become like this. What did you do to her?”

Soo Hyun looked at him as his face turned pale. “We got married after a year we went to Taiwan. Two years ago, she was pregnant and gave birth to a baby girl. We have a daughter… but…” He paused as his eyes began to tear. “… she was diagnosed with leukemia.”

Min Ho and Si Wan widened their eyes at the same time.

“She passed away two months ago.”

“What?” Si Wan asked in shock. But just when he wanted to ask further, a loud sound of shattered glasses was heard from Se Yeon’s room.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------

 

Lee Mansion…

 

Shin Hye turned her body to the other side of the bed and glanced at the clock on the bedside table. It was almost 2am now and almost two hours has passed since Min Ho went back to the office. She doesn’t know how to explain but there was this uneasy feeling in her heart that make her couldn’t sleep.

“Stop thinking nonsense, Park Shin Hye. Sleep now. Your husband is going to worry if he see your panda eyes tomorrow.” She scolded herself before she forced her eyes to close and sleep.

But then, her phone suddenly rang and startled her. She quickly pulled herself up and took her phone from the bedside table. Her brows furrowed when she saw her parents’ house number on the screen.

“Yoboseyo…” She answered the call with her heart pounding.

“Shin Hye… its ahjuhma here.”   

“Ahjuhma… what’s wrong? Why did you call me so late at night?” Shin Hye asked worriedly. The maid sounded urgent.

“It’s your mother. She fainted at home just now.”

“What?” Shin Hye almost shouted and immediately stood up of the bed. “Where is she now?”

“The ambulance just came. Your father and Miss Kim are going to the hospital with her now. He asked me not to tell you but I’m very scared. I tried to contact your brother but I can’t get him on the phone.”

“Okay. I-I’ll go to the hospital now.” Shin Hye breathed heavily, trying hard to calm herself down. “Don’t worry, ahjuhma. Eomma will be alright. I’ll call you after I know her condition.”

After she ended the call, she quickly searched for Min Ho’s number and called him.

“The number you have dialled is currently unavailable. Please try again later.”

Shin Hye bit her lip and tried few more times. But still it went into the voicemail. She couldn’t waste anymore time trying to call him. She have to rush to the hospital now and she will call him again when she reach there.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------

 

Hospital…

 

“Se Yeon…”

Min Ho and Si Wan quickly rushed into the room when they heard the loud shattering sound of broken glasses. When they entered the room, it frightened them when they saw Se Yeon was awake and was now sitting on the bed. The pieces of the broken glasses were shattered on the floor. Soo Hyun followed from behind and felt helpless to see the same scene over and over again for the past two months.

“Don’t come near me. Go away!” Se Yeon screamed with her hand holding a piece of broken glasses to her wrist.

“Stop!” Min Ho held his breath as all of them stopped moving at the same time.

“Leave!” Se Yeon cried loudly. “I don’t want to see him. Ask him to leave. Leave!”

Min Ho looked into Se Yeon’s eyes, trying to catch her attention. “Se Yeon… look at me. Can you recognize who I am? It’s me, Min Ho oppa.”

Se Yeon froze for a moment when she heard the familiar name. She tilted her ehad and said the name. “Min Ho oppa?” She squinted her eyes, trying to take a clearer look at the man in front of her. The grip on the broken glass slowly loosened and dropped onto the floor. She rubbed her the tears away from her eyes and after her vision was completely clear, new tears started to pool in her eyes again.

“Min Ho oppa…” Se Yeon cried.

“Yes… it’s me.” Min Ho said as he carefully walked towards her and when he was sure that she is fully conscious and know who he was, he sat down on the bed and pulled her weak body into his arms. She is so thin and fragile. After so many years, she is back into his embrace again. The feeling was… complicated. But he couldn’t deny that his heart was bleeding and ached so much seeing her like this. Did he make a wrong decision of letting her go? Why after all these years, she is still like this and still trying to kill herself? What happened to her when he didn’t stay by her side and protect her?

~~~~~

“Appa…”

Shin Hye took the elevator and went up to the sixth floor where the female ward was located. She quickly ran to her father that was already waiting for her in front of the elevator.

“Appa, what happened?” Shin Hye asked worriedly.

Park Beom Seok held his daughter’s hand and let out a weak smile. “The haemoglobin in her red blood cells dropped and caused her anaemia. But the doctor said her condition is stable now. She will need to stay here in the hospital for one or two days and if the haemoglobin didn’t drop anymore after trying the new medicine, then everything will be fine.”

“Then what if it’s still drop?” Shin Hye asked again.

“Then he might need to increase her dialysis from three times a week to four times a week. But Doctor Jang said her condition is stable and we don’t need to worry.” Her father explained.

“Can I go to see her now?”

Park Beom Seok nodded. “But she is asleep and you have to be very quiet not to wake her up. The doctor said she needs to rest.” He then glanced around before looking back at his daughter. “Where is Min Ho? He didn’t come with you?”

“Oppa have something urgent to do in the office. I tried to call him but I think he turned off his phone. I’ll try to call him again later.” She said as they walked to her mother’s room.

“I see.” Park Beom Seok opened the door as both of them entered the room together.

Shin Hye walked very softly towards the bed and her chest tightened the moment she saw her mother’s pale face. “She looks very tired.”

“The doctor said she would be better tomorrow. She just needs to rest.” He assured her.

“Where is Miss Kim? Ahjuhma said she came here with you.” Shin Hye asked.

“She went down to the cafeteria to buy some drinks for me.” Park Beom Seok turned back to his wife as he heaved a deep sigh. “I was so worried just now. Luckily she is okay now.”

Shin Hye moved closer to her father and gave his hand a gentle squeeze. “Eomma will be alright. It’s late now. You should go back to sleep. I will stay here with eomma.”

Park Beom Seok shook his head. “I’ll stay here for tonight. You go home. I still need you to take over the shift here when I go to the office tomorrow. And don’t make Min Ho worried about you. He will be frightened when he couldn’t find you at home later. Did you drive here alone?”

“Yes.” Shin Hye replied.

“Then faster go home now. It’s dangerous to drive back alone so late at night. Your eomma will not wake up until tomorrow. You can come again in the morning.” Park Beom Seok said as he took her hand and gently pulled her to the door.

Shin Hye took one last lingering look at her mother before turning back to her father. “Call me if there is anything.”

“Arasso.” Park Beom Seok smiled. “I’ll stay here to keep her accompanied. Are you okay to go down yourself?”

Shin Hye nodded. “Good night, appa. I’ll see you tomorrow morning.”

“Good night.”

~~~~~

A deep exasperated sigh escaped Shin Hye’s lips after she came out from her mother’s room. She took her phone out, trying to call Min Ho again but it still went into the voicemail. Just went she was about to reach the elevator, someone called her from behind.

“Mrs Lee?”

She turned around and saw Miss Kim, her mother’s personal care assistant. “Hi, Miss Kim.” She greeted her with a light smile.

“You are here. No wonder I saw Mr Lee at the east wing building just now.” Miss Kim said.

The smile on Shin Hye’s face faded as her heart started to race again. She saw Min Ho here? But… he should be in his office now. “Y-You… you saw Mr Lee here?”

“Yes. He was standing outside a ward with two other friends.” She said. “I thought you guys couldn’t find the way to samo-nim’s room. But he was talking with his friends and I don’t want to disturb him. I guessed you found way.”

“I-I… I see…” Shin Hye replied in a shaky voice. What is he doing here in the hospital? He said he needs to go back to the office for something urgent. Why did he lie to her?

“Have you seen samo-nim yet?” Miss Kim asked.

Shin Hye looked at her and nodded mindlessly. “Yes. And… I’m going off now. I’ll come here again tomorrow morning.”

“It’s better like this since samo-nim will not awake until tomorrow morning. I’ll see you tomorrow then. I need to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter