A Decision

A Contract Wife
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Park Enterprise Office…

 

The moment Park Shin Hye stepped into her father’s office, the clock had already strike 8pm. The newly rented office, with the space of less than 2000 square feet was dark with all the lights turned off except for the president’s room. She took a deep breath before walking towards her father’s office as the soft footsteps filled the quiet atmosphere.

Shin Hye stopped in front of the closed door, lifted her hand up and held onto the doorknob, attempt to open it but stopped when her brother, Park Hae Jin’s voice intruded her ears.

~~~~~

“Appa, we don’t have much time left. Everyone is chasing us for money and no banks are willing to approve our finance applications. We have to do something.”

“What do you want me to do? Most of our customers stop business with us since we moved here from Busan. The business has already been very bad back then and with the high cost and expenditure in Seoul now, I don’t know how long can we still sustain. The bank already gave us the final notice to pay the money within seven days before we have to declare bankruptcy.”

“Can’t we talk to them again? Try to discuss with them to push back the deadline. We… we can pay them extra interest… or…”

“Or what? The interest that we should pay the bank has been delayed for three months already. Do you think the bank will still want to discuss with us?”

“Then… w-what about… we try to ask Shin Hye for help? Taec Yeon’s father is the President of OK Corporation. This is just a small money for them.”

“I… I thought about that too. But… but you should know your sister’s character. She doesn’t like to have any money related matters with Taec Yeon’s family. Do you remember two years ago when we ask Taec Yeon’s help to introduce us to one of his customers? Shin Hye was so angry and even fought with Taec Yeon.”

“She is annoyingly stubborn. What is wrong of asking her rich boyfriend for help? The purpose of getting a rich man as boyfriend is to get benefits out of him.”

“Don’t blame this on your sister. It was your fault. If you listen to me and didn’t use the money to buy those junk bonds, we will not be like this now. All our money was lost because of you.”

“Appa... how can you blame everything on me? I was just… just trying to help the company to find money. If you want to blame, you should blame Shin Hye. She was the one who insist to move to Seoul. What is wrong with the doctor in Busan? Eomma can still get the same treatment in Busan’s hospital. Why must we come all the way here?”

~~~~~

Shin Hye bit her bottom lip as her hand tightened around the doorknob. Lee Min Ho didn’t lie to her. His father’s company was really facing problem. The conversation between her father and her brother was too painful to hear and make her breathless. Although she knows her brother very well but listen to those words that came out directly from his mouth still hurt her heart. He can blame her for being stubborn and doesn’t want their business have anything to do with Taec Yeon’s family but how can he blame her for moving to Seoul because of their mother? All of them know how bad her mother’s condition was and only the hospital in Seoul could give her the best treatment.

Taking several deep breaths, Shin Hye turned the doorknob and opened the door. Park Beom Seok and Park Hae Jin was startled when they saw Shin Hye standing at the door, looking sadly at them. They were very sure she heard what they just said.

“S-Shin Hye-ah… why are you here?” Park Beom Seok asked in a worried tone.

Shin Hye closed the door behind her as she walked towards her father. “Appa, what is wrong the company? Please don’t lie to me. I heard your conversation with oppa just now.”

“We…” Park Beom Seok sighed deeply and looked embarrassed. He is a useless father. “The company has been suffering with a great loss since few years ago. We tried so hard to sustain the business but the condition worsened after we moved to Seoul. Customers were leaving one by one and as for the small ones, they dragged our payment and some has even ran away. Suppliers are now chasing us for payment and the bank are asking for money too. W-We… can’t stand any longer.” He paused and looked at Shin Hye with a pleading gaze. “Shin Hye-ah, you have to help appa.”

Shin Hye held his father’s gaze for a moment and doesn’t know what to say. She knows what her father want to ask but… she doesn’t know how to tell him that in order to help him, she will lose herself, lose everything.

Taking a step closer and grasped her father’s hand, she asked, “I-Is there any other way that we can consider? We… we can re-finance our house and… and I still have some savings. I know it wouldn’t be enough but… there must still be other way, right? Like… like sell the company off or…”

“Sell the company?!” Hae Jin raised his voice and glared at his sister. “How can you be so selfish? The company is appa’s life. What are we going to do without the company? Do you think it’s as simple as just selling the company off? Where can we find buyer who wants to buy in a short period of time? If we can’t pay the bank within seven days, we have to declare bankruptcy and we will not have money for eomma’s treatment too. Do you know how much is eomma’s medical fees every month? She needs to do dialysis three times a week. Taec Yeon said he will buy a dialysis machine for eomma to do the therapy at home but you rejected him. Because of you, eomma have to suffer so much and keep going to the hospital for the dialysis. And now what? You want appa to sell the company? Do you want all of us to die together?”

Tears started to well in Shin Hye’s eyes as she turned to her brother and met his bewildered gaze. He was right. Her mother will be less tiring and less suffer if she accept Taec Yeon’s offer to buy the dialysis machine for them, but she doesn’t want to be in debt with him, with his parents. She knows what kind of humiliation she will get when his parents find out about it. She doesn’t want to hold her head down every time she sees them. Pride is the only thing she has that keep her strong in front of them.

“Hae Jin!” Park Beom Seok gave his son a meaningful glare before looking back at his daughter with his gaze softened. “Appa know you love your eomma very much. Appa and your oppa love her too. We wanted to give her the best treatment and that was why appa agreed to move to Seoul despite the problems that we will be facing here. But your oppa is right too. Appa is not young anymore. If we lose this company, with appa’s age now, I wouldn’t be able to find a job. And you know your oppa. What job can he get outside?” He paused and gave her a soft squeeze around her hand. “You are just an elementary school teacher. With your salary every month, we couldn’t afford the medical treatment your mother is having now.”

Shin Hye gasped, sinking her teeth deeper into her bottom lip. “How much do you need?” Her voice was soft and almost inaudible.

“Five billion won.” Hae Jin quickly cut in and walked closer to where his father and sister were standing. “It’s only five billion won.” He said again with an expectant gaze.

Shin Hye closed her eyes and let the figures sink into her senses. All the things that were written in the file that Min Ho gave her just now were right. The information about her since she was born, the information about her family, the information about her father’s company and even the amount of debt that her father needs was right too.

Five billion won.

A sharp inhale of breath escaped her lips as her eyes fluttered open, looking at her father. Where can she get such a huge amount of money? How can a useless woman like her find a way to help them? No. She got a way. Not only one but two. She can either look for Taec Yeon and beg his parents or… accept Lee Min Ho’s ridiculous offer. Either way will solve the problem for her family. She just needs to say yes, everyone is happy or say no, everyone will be sad. But no matter which one she choose, she will be the only one who never be happy again because… the price she needs to pay in order for everyone to be happy is her lifetime happiness.  

“Shin Hye-ah…” Park Beom Seok’s voice shook her off from her deep thoughts. “Taec Yeon’s father is a very rich businessman. Five billion won is nothing to them. He is your boyfriend. He will help us if you ask. Appa know I’m very selfish but… but appa really have no other way anymore.” He said with his eyes reddened, hands trembling. “A-Appa… beg you. Please help appa… for this time… eo?”

Shin Hye looked at her father for a long moment, noticed the wrinkles on his face, the obvious sign of his aging and exhaustion. It pained her heart so much seeing him begging her like this. How can she say no when the man who raised her up and love his family so much begged her for help?

in another deep breath, she tried very hard to hold back the tears that were threatening to escape her eyes. “The bank… they gave you seven days, right?”

Park Beom Seok nodded.

“That means we still have seven days. Please give me some time to think about it. Give… give me three days to think about it. I will… find a way to solve this.” Shin Hye faked a light smile and squeezed her father’s hand softly.

“Appa… don’t worry. I’ll get the money to save the company. You will not lose it. I promise.”

 

--------------------------------------------------------------

 

Park Residence…

 

Shin Hye gently opened the door and stepped into the room very softly. The lights were dimmed and her mother, Han Ae Jung was fast asleep on her bed. She slowly walked towards her and gently pulled the comforter up to cover her exposed arms. Her chest was tightened when she saw the pale colour on her mother’s face. Her brother sent her to the hospital for dialysis today and every time after the therapy, she will be extremely tired due to anemia.

What will happen to them if she couldn’t help her father? Besides that he has to declare bankruptcy, her mother will be the one who suffer the most. They will not be able to afford for her treatment and most important of all, her mother will not be able to accept the news. Her father is her mother’s world. She loves him so much and she will definitely think herself as his burden. Shin Hye doesn’t want to see her like this. She can’t let anything happen to her.

Taking one last lingering look at her mother, Shin Hye slowly walked out from the room and went back to her own bedroom. She threw herself onto her bed the moment she stepped in and looked up at the ceiling mindlessly. All the strength in her body was drained with all the crazy stuff she encountered today.

Three days. She only have three days to think and consider whether to accept Min Ho’s offer or to ask Taec Yeon’s for help. Why three days? Because that was the timeline that Min Ho gave her.

 

~~~~~

 

Three hours ago…

DCM Corporation’s office…

 

“It’s not a small amount. They need five billion won to save the whole company. I’m quite afraid that your very sick mother will not be able to stand the news. And the only person who can help them now… is me.”

Shin Hye looked up at Min Ho with her breathing turned heavy. “H-How… how I know you didn’t lie to me? My father didn’t mention anything about this to me before.”

Min Ho chuckled. “What can I get for lying to you? If you don’t believe me, you can always go back to check with your father. But don’t say I didn’t remind you. If I’m not mistaken, they have less than a week before the bank issue the restraint order to freeze all your father’s bank accounts and assets. At that time, even the house you are staying now will be seal by the bank. I wonders how your mother going to face all this with her health condition like that.”  

Shin Hye’s heart raced even faster upon thinking about her mother. He is right, if all this is real, her mother will not be able to face it. She gasped heavily as she looked at him with a fearful gaze. “W-What do you want?”

Min Ho smiled as he shook his head. “Wrong question. You should ask what could I offer to you.” He paused and took another step closer. “I already told you what I want earlier. You tried so hard to attract my son’s and my attention. It’s all because of the position of Mrs Lee, right? I’ll give it to you and also the five billion won that could save your father’s company. I need a wife and you need my money. This is a win-win situation. You don’t lose anything.”

Shin Hye swallowed hard and tried her best to calm herself down. But no matter how hard she tried, she couldn’t stop her body from shaking. Five billion won? Her father needs this much? She forced herself to think… think for another solution that could save her father without needing to accept his offer.

Taec Yeon. If she asks him for help, then her father’s problem will be settled. “What if I say no? You are not the only one who can help my father.” She said in an unconvincing voice.

The gaze in Min Ho’s eyes darkened as he knows who she was talking about. There was a new wave of anger coming to him now. “You mean your alternate choice, Ok Taec Yeon?”

“I’m sure your private detective did told you about him. He is very rich too and I’m his girlfriend. I’m sure he will help me if I ask him.” Shin Hye said in a shaky voice. But… does she really have the courage to ask for his help?

Min Ho stared at her for a moment before he laughed coldly. “Ok Taec Yeon, the heirs of OK Corporation. Of course I know him. But…” He smirked inwardly. “… you are right and wrong.”

Shin Hye raised her brows, looking confused.

“His family is indeed very rich but it was his father… not him. OK Corporation is still under his father’s control and all the financial matters were under his mother’s supervision. In order to get such a big amount, Ok Taec Yeon has to go through both his father and mother.” He let out a sarcastic sneer. “Do you think his parents will help you without any condition? As what I understand about them, I doubt so.”

Shin Hye balled her hands into tight fists and her breath became heavier by the seconds. He is right but there is condition too for accepting his offer. She can’t see the difference. “They might be condition. But at least… Taec Yeon oppa is the one I love.”

The smile on Min Ho’s face was completely vanished upon hearing what she said as his eyes darkened further. He took another step closer and their face were just inches apart now. “Are you sure he is really the man that you love?” He asked in a deep and dangerous voice.

His question makes her breath caught in . Is he the man that she really loves? No, he is not. The one she really loves is the one who offer her to marry him and threatened her with her father’s company. And he is standing right in front of her now.

She felt helpless but does she have a choice? Yes, she does. Beg Taec Yeon’s parents and gave up her pride. Or… marry the man that hates her… and sacrifice her happiness.

Since he was so confident that she will need his help, she think the news he just brought to her was real. She inhaled several deep breaths before looking back into his eyes again. “C-Can you let me consider about it?”

Min Ho let out a soft chuckle as he pulled away from Shin Hye, turned around and walked back to the couch. Sitting on it, he crossed his legs and looked up at her with a gaze that filled with arrogance. “Three days. I want to know your answer in three days. If I don’t see you in three days, the offer will no longer valid.”

Shin Hye gasped and tightened her fists. She only has three days to decide her future. “Okay. I’ll give you an answer in three days.” She bit her lip and inhaled deeply. “Can I… leave now?”

Min Ho pressed his lips into a thin line as his eyes darted firmly at her. His heart felt insecure when she said she wanted to leave. Will she come back? Will she consider about it and say yes? She needs money but she was right too. Her boyfriend can also offer her the same thing. What make him so confident that she will choose him instead of Ok Taec Yeon?

“Sure.” He clenched his jaw, trying to maintain an unaffected expression on his face. “This will be a tough decision and I advice you to think wisely. Ok Taec Yeon might be the best solution for you but don’t forget the consequences you need to bear after you accept his money.”

Shin Hye chuckled silently. Of course there are a lot of consequences she have to face after that but at least she have some idea what are those things that are waiting for her if she choose Taec Yeon. But if she chooses to accept Min Ho’s offer, the unforeseen consequences might be more painful for her to bear.

“Anyway…” Min Ho added when he didn’t get any response from her. “… you have three days to consider about it. But I have confidence that I’ll see you again.” He faked a smile.

Shin Hye inhaled a soft breath, slowly walked towards the coffee table and put the file on it. Without looking at Min Ho, She turned away and walked towards the door. But before she could open it, Min Ho’s voice was once again fill the room.

“Don’t think everything in a complicated way. We are just using each other to get what we want. And in case you say yes, let me remind you. This is just a business deal. You are not my real wife. You are just… a contract wife.”
 

~~~~~

 

A contract wife.

Shin Hye let out a long sigh as her eyes were blankly staring at the ceiling. If she accept Min Ho’s offer, what kind of marriage will that be? It will definitely be a marriage with hatred, sadness, loneliness and regrets. With all the misunderstanding he have about her, even if he don’t hate her, he will never love her either. He has never like her since the first time they met in the orphanage fourteen years ago. At that time, she was just a rich girl that pretends to be kind and look down on him. And now, she is a woman that approaches him and his son because of money. How is she going to clear such a deep misunderstanding? Tell him who she is? It will only make him hate her more.

As her mind slowly floating back to the conversation they had in his office today, Shin Hye suddenly felt her cheeks burned with blush as her hand slowly moved up and caressed her lips. That kiss… it makes her confused. There is no doubt that he hates her but why did he kiss her? The hatred in his eyes, the roughness of his lips was an obvious sign of punishment. But if he really hates her so much, then why did he still want to marry her? Just because he want to find Hyun Jun a mother? She doesn’t understand.

Another deep sigh escaped her lips before she slowly pulled herself up in a sitting position and leaned against the headboard. She turned to the side, opened the drawer of the bedside table and took the silver bangle out. She held it tightly in her hand and looked at it for a long moment.

“Appa know I’m very selfish but… but appa really have no other way

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter