The First Meeting... or Second

A Contract Wife
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

One week later…

Yongsan International Elementary School…

 

“Here you go. You favourite ice cream.”

Park Shin Hye placed the small bowl of ice cream on the table before taking a seat in front of Lee Hyun Jun. Her lips curled up in a soft smile when she saw how the little boy his lips and can’t wait to eat the ice cream.

“Thank you, pretty.” Hyun Jung smiled as he spooned a big scoop of the ice cream into his tiny mouth. “Yummm…”

Shin Hye chuckled and glared at him playfully. “Yah, what pretty? You have to call me seonsaeng-nim.”

“No.” Hyun Jun shook his head. “When I call you seonsaeng-nim it will remind me of those witches around the school. I prefer to call you pretty.”

“Calling your elder with an informal word is a disrespectful manner. You shouldn’t do that.” Shin Hye said.

“But this is not a disrespectful word. ‘Pretty’ is a praising word. You should say ‘thank you.’” Hyun Jun said as he brought another spoon of ice cream into his mouth with a satisfying expression. But when he wanted to take another scoop, Shin Hye took the bowl away from him and held it in her hand.

“My ice cream…” Hyun Jun’s eyes widened, staring at Shin Hye with a bewildered gaze.

“Ice cream or ‘pretty’. You choose.” She shook the small bowl of ice cream in her hand with a threatening smirk on her lips.

Hyun Jun glanced at Shin Hye for a brief second before darting his eyes at the ice cream. After a while, he pouted his lips and looked back at Shin Hye. “Ice cream.” He chose.

“And?” Shin Hye stared at him meaningfully.

A small sigh escaped Hyun Jun’s pouty lips. “Seonsaeng-nim, I want my ice cream, please…”

Shin Hye let out a satisfying smile before placing the ice cream in front of Hyun Jun. After the conversation they had one week ago, their relationship as teacher-student have improved a lot. At least in her class, Hyun Jun was no longer sleeping and will pay attention to what she teaches in the class. She can feel the trust he has for her and will not resist her anymore.

As usual, his driver will come late to pick him up and every day for the whole week, Shin Hye brought him to the cafeteria, bought him drinks or ice cream and chat with him. She realized that Hyun Jun is not as difficult as she thought. He is very different from the other kids, rather matured at his age and love to speak like an adult. He have good observation, sensitive and he actually love to talk. He likes to ask questions, he will think and try to understand what he heard very carefully. He is a very smart boy. But no matter what, he is still an innocent seven years old kid that Shin Hye hope he could let himself relax and enjoy his childhood rather than forcing himself to act like an adult.

“You seem to love orange a lot.” Shin Hye broke the silence. “When I bought you drinks, you chose orange juice. When I bought you ice cream, you will still choose orange flavour. Is there any reason you like orange so much?”

Hyun Jun looked up at his teacher and replied straightaway. “Because eomma love orange.”

Shin Hye raised her brows in surprise. “But… I thought your mother passed away when you were still a baby. H-How do you know she love orange?” She asked in a wary tone.

Hyun Jun shrugged his shoulders. “She died when I was two years old. I don’t have any vivid memory about her but very weirdly; I can still remember the scent of orange from her. I asked ahjuhma and she told me that my eomma love to eat orange. Maybe that’s why her hand smelled like orange and I remember that.” He said as he looked down on his ice cream and continued to eat.

Although he seem unaffected but Shin Hye could see the slight sadness in his eyes. He missed his mother but because of his stubborn and strong-headed personalities, he won’t let himself to show it out.

“Do you mind… if I ask how your mother passed away?” Shin Hye asked cautiously.

Hyun Jun held his head up again and after a brief moment, he shook his head. “I don’t know.”

“You don’t know?” Shin Hye asked in surprise. “Your father didn’t tell you?”

Hyun Jun shook his head again. “Appa doesn’t like to talk about eomma. Ahjuhma just said it was a critical illness and I’ll understand when I grow up. But I’m not a kid anymore. I don’t understand why can’t they tell me now.” He paused and spooned another scoop of ice cream into .

“You must have missed your mother a lot.” Shin Hye said in a sympathy tone.

“Ani.” Hyun Jun shook his head. “I don’t even remember her face. I’m a big boy now. I don’t need to cry for a mother.” He said stubbornly, refused to admit that he indeed missed his mother. When he saw other children’s mother waiting for them outside the school, he couldn’t help to feel envious. But he is a boy. He has to be strong like his father.

Shin Hye stared at him, studied his facial expression. He said he doesn’t miss his mother but he love orange because his mother love it. His mouth doesn’t admit it but he was actually using his action to miss her.

“Why did your driver come to pick you up so late every day?” She asked, changing the sensitive topic.

“I asked him not to come so early.” He replied, looking at her. “The tutor will only come at 4pm every day. I don’t want to stay at home, waiting for him. So I asked ahjussi to come later.”

“Tutor?” Shin Hye looked at him with her eyes narrowed. “You have a private tuition at home?”

Hyun Jun nodded. “He is a professor in a university. He is appa’s friend.”

“No wonder your result is so good even you didn’t pay attention in the school.” So this is the reason why he can still score perfectly when he was always sleep in the class. She laughed silently at her foolishness. She should have guessed it.

“Seonsaeng-nim, do you have a boyfriend?” Hyun Jun asked and his voice shook Shin Hye off from her deep thought.

Shin Hye was taken aback with the question as Taec Yeon’s face appeared in her mind and reminds her about the problem they were still facing. A soft sigh escaped her lips as she forced a light smile on her face.

“Wae? You want to introduce your Mr Tutor to me?” She joked.

“Ani.” Hyun Jun shook his head. “You are too pretty for him. I have a better choice in mind.” He smiled mischievously.

“Tsssk.” She sneered at him. “Thanks for your kind intention but I don’t need your help.”

“Wae?” Hyun Jun looked at her with his big eyes. “You already have a boyfriend? Who is he? Is he handsome? Is he rich?” He asked anxiously.

Shin Hye couldn’t help and laughed at his cuteness. He is adorable. “Why are you so nervous?” She paused, crossed her arms and narrowed her gaze. “Don’t tell me you have a secret crush on me. I’m not interested in a young boy. I prefer someone older than me and a matured man.”

“Really?” Hyun Jun’s smile widened. She told him before that she is 26 years old and his father is 28. So he is older than her and his father is definitely a matured man. But it still worries him since Shin Hye is so pretty. He thinks a lot of men will try to steal her away from them. He needs to do something and make sure his father act fast. And just then, he remembered something and it gave him an idea.

“Seongsaeng-nim, our school is having a parent-teacher conference day on next Saturday, right?” He asked.

Shin Hye nodded. “We have it every three months here. And since the mid-term exam just over, we will take this opportunity to discuss the exam results with the parents.” She paused and looked at him. “Lee Hyun Jun, I know you are smart and have very good result in your exam… but it doesn’t mean there is no problem with you. I need to meet up with your father so that I could…”

“He will come.” Hyun Jun cut her off.

“What?” Shin Hye asked in a surprise tone. “But… according to your previous class teacher, she said your father already informed the school that he will not attend any of the conference and instructed us to send your report card to his secretary. He didn’t inform us that he would be coming this time.”

Hyun Jun smiled as he continued to eat the ice cream. “I’ll make sure he come.”

“You will?” Shin Hye stared at him suspiciously.

“Of course. Just make sure you wait for him that day.” Hyun Jun said with a meaningful smile.

 

------------------------------------------------------------

 

Lee Mansion…

 

“Appa…”

Lee Hyun Jun ran towards his father when he heard the door opened. He threw himself into Min Ho’s arms and wrapped his tiny hands around his neck. This is the happiest moment that he was waiting every day. “Appa, you are early today. It’s only 7pm now. You told me this morning that you will be late tonight.” He said, happy with the surprise.

Min Ho smiled, carried his son up before handing his briefcase to the maid. “The meeting over an hour earlier and the dinner meeting was cancelled. So appa came back early to keep my lovely son accompanied. Have you eaten yet?”

“Not yet but the dinner is ready.” The maid cut in. “Do you want to eat together with him?”

Min Ho turned to the maid and nodded his head. “Yes. I’ll eat together with him.” He said with a warm smile.

“I’ll prepare right away.” The maid said as she turned around and made her way to the kitchen. This is rare and she knows Hyun Jun will be very happy to be able to eat with his father.

Hyun Jun moved his nose to his father’s neck, face and sniffed him like a puppy. Min Ho chuckled and looked at his son. “Yah, what are you doing? Do appa stink?” He asked as he walked to the living room and sat on the couch with Hyun Jun.

“I just want to make sure you didn’t see any witches today.” Hyun Jun said and continued to sniff his father’s clothes.

Min Ho smirked, looking at his son. “You should know very clearly whether I see any witches or not today. Didn’t my pretty little secretary report my schedule to you every day?” All this while, besides those who have business relation with him and need to have discussion with him here, he never bring any other women back at home. He knows Hyun Jun doesn’t like them and he will never let any woman sleep on his bed in this house. He knows very clearly that those women are meant for his own satisfaction and will not let them affect his family, especially his son.

But although Hyun Jun is just a small kid, he is a very sensitive child. Hyun Jun knows the reason why those women stick at him and he makes it clear that he doesn’t like them. With his personalities practically a replica of himself, he is a very smart and difficult kid. Hyun Jun threatened his secretary without his knowledge and makes her to report to him on his schedule and every woman that he have relationship with. When he found out about it from his secretary, he doesn’t stop him because he knows this is a way of Hyun Jun caring for him. But he just couldn’t understand how a seven years old boy can be so smart.

Hyun Jun pouted his lips and looked at his father. “Although Krystal noona will tell me all your schedule but I also know that appa is the one who control the information that she have. If there is anything that appa doesn’t want me to know, Krystal noona will not know about it too.”

Another smirk spread across Min Ho’s face upon hearing what his son said. He wasn’t sure whether he should be proud of him for being so smart or he should be worried that his own life style will affect his growth.

“Then what is the result that you get from your super sensitive nose? Is there any witches’ insecticide smell on me?” He asked with a grin.

Hyun Jun shook his head. “Appa smell like appa today.”

Min Ho laughed as he pinched his tiny nose playfully. “I heard from your tutor that your mid-term exam just over. Is everything okay?” He changed the subject.

“Of course. Exam is just a small case to me. The questions that the teachers gave us were too easy.” He said with full confident. But then, the conversation he had with Shin Hye today crossed his mind. He smiled as he wrapped his tiny arms around Min Ho’s neck. “Appa, are you free on next Saturday?”

Min Ho held his gaze and think for a moment.

“Krystal noona said you will be at Seoul the whole week.” Hyun Jun added with a cheeky smile. He already checked his schedule with his secretary this afternoon.

“If you already know then why are you still asking?” Min Ho pinched his nose again. “Wae? You want to go somewhere?”

Hyun Jun shook his head. “Our school is having a conference on that day. Appa, can you attend the parent-teacher conference day in my school?”

“You want me to attend the parent-teacher conference with you?” Min Ho narrowed his eyes.

“Ani.” Hyun Jun smiled. “Students don’t need to go on that day. Only the parents are required to attend.”

“Why?” Min Ho asked in curiosity. “You told me before that I don’t need to worry about your studies and you don’t need me to attend anything like this. You never ask me to go before. I had already informed the school to send all your results directly to me and give me a call if they need to discuss anything with me. If the teacher needs to tell me anything, they will call my secretary. They have the number.” He paused and pursed his lips into a thin line. “But why do you want me to go this time? Wae? Anything happen in the school? I didn’t attend any conference even when you were in the pre-school.”

“No!” Hyun Jun said defensively as his eyes darted into his father’s gaze. “I know I said that before but… but I want you to see my teacher.”

Teacher? He means… Park Shin Hye? Min Ho’s eyes darkened and he was silent for a moment. “See your teacher?”

Hyun Jun nodded his head vigorously. “Yes. My teacher, Park seonsaeng.” He replied desperately.

“What is so special about your teacher that you want me to see her?” Min Ho asked again.

“Of course she is special. She is very different from all the witches that appa know. She don’t put colour on her face, she wear very beautiful dress that cover her chest and the way she talk is very… fun.” Hyun Jun smiled when he talked about his teacher. He enjoyed talking with her. “She is very special. She makes Hyun Jun feel very happy.”

Min Ho stared at his son for a moment and recalled the background check report that his private investigator sent to him. Listened to what his son just said, he feels even more curious now. Park Shin Hye just started teaching in Yongsan less that a month and she already have the ability to make his son to like her. Hyun Jung never like anybody especially women. Even his best friend, Yim Si Wan need a long time to gain his trust for being his tutor. Although he is not in the school with him but he roughly know how his son behaved. He doesn’t listen to his teachers and always stay alone. He knows his behaviour is not right but since he has a smart brain and it didn’t affect his studies, he will not interfere. But what magic has this woman cast on his son that he will listen to her? She is so much smarter than he thought.

“Are you very close to her?” Min Ho asked cautiously.

Hyun Jun tilted his head to the side before he nodded. “I think so. She will keep me accompanied after school until ahjussi arrived to pick me. I like talking to her. The way she talks is very fun and no matter what she said I just don’t know how to argue back. Everything she said seems right.” He looked intently at his father as he tightened his arms around his neck. “Seonsaeng-nim said she wanted to meet you too.”

Min Ho raised his brows. “She said she want to see me?”

Hyun Jun nodded.

He smirked inwardly as he looked away. So this was her next step. Gain Hyun Jun’s trust, used his son to bait him to meet her. Smart plan.

“Appa… Can you spare a little bit of your time to meet her? Once you see her, you will know how special she is. My teacher is so much prettier than the witches around appa.” If his father really needs to find a mother for him, he rather choose Shin Hye. At least she is a smart and beautiful stepmother. “Appa… she…”

But just when Hyun Jun wanted to convince his father further, the maid walked to the living room and interjected their conversation. “The dinner is ready.”

Min Ho turned to the maid and nodded. “Okay. Thank you.” He then looked back at Hyun Jun and carried him up in his arms. “Let’s go to eat now.” He said as he stood up of the couch.

“But appa… how about the conference day?” Hyun Jun asked again, doesn’t want to give up.

Min Ho stopped walking and held his son’s gaze. “I’ll go.”

“Really? Yeah!” Hyun Jun shouted happily. His perfect plan will be a success.

Min Ho chuckled silently, looking at his son’s reaction. He seems to really like this woman a lot. But even without the conference, sooner or later he will still find a chance to meet her in person. There are a lot of questions he needs her to give him an answer. After reading her background check report, he is very curious of her real motive for getting close to them. If she wants money or a high status position, she already has a goldfish in her hand, a young and handsome one. She doesn’t need to look for other especially him, a widower who has a son. But what surprised him the most is the way Hyun Jun changed because of her. A woman who can change his son in just a short period of time deserve his precious time to meet her. At least her plan to attract his attention is successful.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------

 

One week later…

Yongsan International Elementary School…

 

Hyun Jun’s most anticipated parent-teacher conference day has finally arrived. Althoug

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter