Inescapable Fate

A Contract Wife
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Light House Orphanage…

 

“Gom se ma ri ga han chib eh it ssuh, appa gom, eomma gom, ae-gi gom… appa gom eun ddung ttung ttung hae, eomma gom eun nul sshin hae, ae-gi gom eun nuh moo gwi yuh wuh… eu sseuk eu sseuk jal han da…”

A sweet and gentle heavenly singing voice filled the small room of the old house of Light House Orphanage. Children from age two to sixteen were all sitting down on the floor, surrounding a beautiful girl who was singing and dancing the ‘Three Bears’ song in front of them. Everyone is holding a small teddy bear that was given by the mother of the girl. They were all singing and laughing happily together. Their happy laughter blends into the song and brings out the most beautiful melody in the world.

“Shin Hye…”

Han Ae Jung smiled the moment her twelve years old daughter, Park Shin Hye turned around to look at her with her angelic sweet smile. She is wearing a white colour short sleeves knee-length dress with tiny pink embroidered flowers. Her silky black long hair fell over her shoulders, a pink colour hairband above her head with a small bow at the side. She looked just like a princess.

Han Ae Jung is a very simple woman who married to a man she love at a young age and doesn’t need to work since then. She came from a poor family and understands happiness is not inevitable in life. Everyone said she was very lucky to find a rich man as her husband but for her, rich or poor, it doesn’t matter at all. What she wants is a complete happy family and to help those who are in need. To be honest, she doesn’t think she has any high achievement in her life and the only thing that makes her proud of herself is to have a beautiful, smart and kind daughter.

After she was married to her husband, Park Beon Seok, she moved to Busan with him when she was only twenty years old. And after a year of marriage, she gave birth to their first son, Park Hae Jin. She always wanted a daughter and it took them another four years before Shin Hye was born. Han Ae Jung is a full time housewife; take care of her family while Park Beok Seok takes care of his business. When she has free time, she always likes to help out in orphanages or old folks homes in Busan, bringing Shin Hye together with her.

Light House Orphanage is located in a very outskirt area in Busan and there are only twenty children living in this orphanage. This is the first time Han Ae Jung came here and she hope she could do as much as she could bring some happy moments to all these kids.

“Eomma…” Shin Hye walked to her and held her arm.

Han Ae Jung leaned over as her hand moved up to caress her cheeks. “Eomma will go to help Sister Annie to prepare lunch. You stay here and play with the kids, arasso?”

Shin Hye nodded her head with a sweet smile. “I’ll be good and wait for eomma to come back.”

“Okay, stay with the kids. Eomma will be quick.” Han Ae Jung plant a soft kiss on Shin Hye’s forehead before she turned around, followed Sister Annie and walked out of the room.

Shin Hye looked back at the children and let out a smile. “What song do you want to sing next?” She asked.

“Shin Hye eonnie…” One of the kids stood up with her hand pointing at something at the side. “Can you play that for us?”

Shin Hye’s gaze followed the little girl’s hand and saw an old piano at the side of the room. She was too immersed playing with them just now and didn’t realize there is a piano here. She smiled before looking back at the little girl. “Of course. I was wondering earlier before I come whether there is a piano here or not. Ah… I have brought a music book from home.” She said as she walked to the table and took the music book out from her bag.

“I’m going to play my favourite song to all of you.” She smiled as she marched to the piano and sat down on the stool. She placed the music book on the music rack before looking back at the kids. “The song is called ‘Fairy Tale’ from Yiruma, a very famous pianist.”

She then turned back to the piano as she gently pressed her fingers down into the keys and begins to play the song. The gently and soothing melody from the piano slowly filled the room. All the children in the room became quiet, mesmerized by the beautiful song Shin Hye was playing.

 

On the other hand, while Shin Hye was busy playing the piano, there were a boy and a girl who were at the garden, sitting under a big tree without joining the other kids. The older boy was holding a book and focused all his concentration into what he was reading. As for the younger girl who was sitting beside him, she was playing mindlessly with her long hair and looking up at the bright sky quietly. Just then, a beautiful soft melody echoed into her ears and caught her attention. Her eyes shifted to the house and confusion spread over her face.

“Oppa… Can you hear the song? Someone is playing the piano.” The thirteen years old Jin Se Yeon asked as she turned to the boy beside her.

Choi Min Ho glanced up from the book he was reading, tilting his head to the side to hear clearly. “I think is the volunteer who came this morning.” He said.

“Eo…” Se Yeon nodded. “I saw them at the gate this morning when Sister Annie greeted them. It was a young woman with her daughter around my age. They are very beautiful. By looking at the clothes they wear, I think they are very rich. And they brought a big box of presents over. We should have stay inside to take the present.”

Min Ho looked at her with a cold expression. “I’m not interested at all. I don’t need those rick people to feel pity for us. They are just faking their heart to make themselves feel happier. I won’t buy it. I will study hard, work hard and be very successful in the future. I’ll get whatever I want with my own hand. I don’t want to rely on anybody.”

Since the day his parents abandoned him when he was only three years old, he understands the cruelty in this world and nobody is reliable except himself. He hates his parents, he hates that he have to follow their surname and live with the name given by them. He doesn’t trust anybody… except for the girl who was sitting beside him now.

His lips slowly curled into a light smile, looking at Se Yeon. He is one year older than her and she was already in Light House Orphanage when he first came. According to Sister Annie, Se Yeon’s parents passed away when she was only a baby and was later sent over here because none of her relatives are willing to take care of her. They have always been very close to each other since the first there he came here. She likes to stick to him and slowly they have become like twins that cannot be separated. As time slowly passed by, Min Ho realized his feeling for her is not as simple as just friends or siblings. He wants to take care of her, protect her and make her happy. Because of Se Yeon, he worked extra hard, vowed that he would marry her one day and give her a family.

Se Yeon stared at Min Ho for a moment as her brows creased. “You are very weird and stubborn. What is wrong to receive present from them? We didn’t force them to do so. They give it to us willingly.” She paused and looked back at the old and small house in front of them. A long breathy sigh escaped her lips. “But too bad. They are giving teddy bear this time. Why must all the people who come here always bring toys and teddy bears? Can’t they bring something more useful like beautiful clothes, shoes, bags or nice accessories? I feel really envy to see other children wearing beautiful clothes. They look like a princess.” Her lips pouted in disappointment. She always dreams to be a princess too.

Min Ho put his book down and wrapped his arm around her shoulder. “You don’t need to envy anybody. Oppa promise you. When I grow up in the future, I will buy anything you like for you.” He gazed down at her hand and smiled when he saw the silver bangle hanging around her wrist. Although it’s just something cheap that he bought at the roadside but it took him almost three months to save the money to buy for her when she told him that she like it. It was the first birthday present he bought for her one year ago.

Just when Se Yeon wanted to complain again, a little girl ran out from the house, rushing towards Min Ho and Se Yeon. “Min Ho oppa… Se Yeon eonnie…”

“Su Mi-ah, wae-yo?” Se Yeon asked, holding Su Mi’s tiny hands.

“Se Yeon eonnie, why are you sitting here? There is a very beautiful eonnie came today and brought us teddy bear. She has a very sweet voice and sings a lot of songs for us. She is now playing piano inside. Didn’t you say you want to learn piano? We can ask her to teach you. She is around your age and she is very kind. I’m sure she will teach you.” Su Mi said.

“Chincha?” Se Yeon asked before turning to Min Ho. “I thought the sweet melody was play by the young woman but never thought it was play by a small girl like me. Oppa, let’s go in and see how she looks like.” And before giving Min Ho a chance to protest, she pulled him up together with her and walked into the house with Su Mi.

 

The moment they stepped into the room, the girl who was sitting at the piano playing the lovely song, caught Min Ho’s eyes. Her body is very tiny, just like Se Yeon but the smile that was painted on her face is so beautiful that it froze his gaze at her for a long moment.  

“Wah… she is so beautiful. She looks like a… doll.” Se Yeon said with an admiring gaze. “Her dress, her shoe and…” Her eyes widened and shining. “… and that pink colour hairband. It’s so pretty. I always want something like that to match my pink colour dress that Sister Annie bought for my birthday.” That is the only dress she have and she adores it a lot.

Min Ho agreed as his eyes still darted at Shin Hye. But then, he turned to Se Yeon and stared at her. No, in his heart nobody is prettier than Se Yeon. His eyes, his heart will only have space for her.

“Okay, kids. It’s lunch time now. Auntie Ae Jung have brought very delicious pork meat for us today.” Sister Annie walked in and interrupted them.

“Yay!!!” All the children screamed happily as they quickly stood up and followed Sister Annie out.

“Let’s go.” Min Ho nudged Se Yeon. But as if didn’t hear him, she ignored him and walked forward.

Shin Hye stood up from the stool and when she was about to take her music book, she saw Se Yeon standing in front of her. Her gaze later shifted to Min Ho who was standing behind Se Yeon. The moment their eyes locked at each other, Shin Hye felt her heartbeat racing slightly in her chest, watching his face. He has a pair of very attractive eyes, very dangerous and sharp. He is… very handsome.

A soft blush slowly appeared on her face as she quickly averted her gaze back to Se Yeon. She let out an awkward smile. “H-Hi, what can I help you?” She asked nervously.

Se Yeon nodded her head vigorously as her eyes were looking at the pink hairband on Shin Hye’s head. “Hmmm… you are so good in playing piano. Can you teach me?” Se Yeon asked impatiently, simply find an excuse to start a conversation. “I love to play piano too but Sister Annie don’t have the time to teach me everyday. That’s why I’m very bad at it.”

Just when Se Yeon mentioned about piano, all her nervousness disappeared immediately. “Of course.” Shin Hye smiled as she held Se Yeon’s arm and gently pulled her over to sit on the stool with her. She opened her music book again and flipped the pages. “Which song do you want to learn?”

“Hmmm…” Se Yeon tilted her head. “Let’s teach me the one you played just now.”

“Okay.” Shin Hye smiled as she flipped to the page of ‘Fairy Tale’ again. Her fingers gently pressed onto the keys and patiently teach Se Yeon.

Shin Hye clapped her hands when they finished playing the song. “You are very smart. You are very talented and I’m sure you will play better if you practice more. Next time when I come, I’ll bring more music book to teach you.”

Se Yeon smiled happily as she nodded her head. “Thank you.”

Min Ho who was still standing at the side reached out for her hand and pulled her over to him. “Se Yeon, it’s late. We should go now before Sister Annie come to find us.”

“Hold on.” She yanked her hand away as she walked back to Shin Hye. “Y-Your… your…” She pointed at Shin Hye’s head and hesitated. “I mean… your hairband is very pretty. Can you… give it to me?” She asked bravely. Shin Hye is a girl from a rich family. She thinks Shin Hye wouldn’t mind to give it to her.

Shin Hye moved her hand to the hairband on her head and looked at Se Yeon with her lips slightly parted. If she wants something else from her, she wouldn’t mind and will give it to her right away. But this hairband is different. It was a present from someone very important to her.

“You didn’t take the present that my eomma give out just now?” Shin Hye asked with a wavy voice, trying hard not to say something that will make Se Yeon unhappy. “I’m sorry. This hairband is mine. It’s not a present.” She inhaled a soft breath. “I can’t give it to you.”

Se Yeon’s eyes immediately reddened as her lips pouted unhappily. She turned to Min Ho and bit her lip. “Oppa… I want her hairband.” She doesn’t care. If she is here to make all of them happy, then she should give her what she wants. She is so rich and has a lot of money. She can always buy a new one.

Min Ho’s chest tightened upon seeing Se Yeon’s sad expression. Although he doesn’t agree with the way she want something from other people but he has already used to pamper and spoil her all this while. If he could do it, he will try his best to fulfil her dream. And he hates whomever that makes her cry.

Shin Hye felt very bad when she saw Se Yeon almost crying because she refused to give her the hairband. There is a brief moment that she wanted to take it off and give it to her but she really can’t. Just when she wanted to walk to her to apologize again, Min Ho was faster and was now standing in front of her. She held her breath and took a step backward when she looked into his intense eyes. He is very tall and she has to tilt her head up to look at him.

“Do you have other hairband at home?” Min Ho asked coldly.

Shin Hye nodded softly as her fingers clenched tightly onto the fabric of her skirt. “Y-Yes.”

Min Ho took a deep breath as he crossed his arms across his chest. “I’m sure you have a lot at home. So for you, with or without this hairband, it makes no difference to you, right? But Se Yeon is different. She doesn’t have any and she like this one a lot.”

“But…”

Min Ho didn’t give her a chance to complete her sentence and cut her off. “The reason you come to the orphanage today is to show off your lovely kind heart, right? You want to show everyone that you are the most kind-hearted, the happiest rich girl that could make us happy. But why are you so stingy with just a hairband? I thought rich people are very generous. I think they are just pretend to be generous then.” He let out a sly smirk.

Calm down. Don’t be angry. You can do it.

“No… you misunderstood.” Shin Hye shook her head, trying to explain to him. She let out a helpless sigh. “Or… I promise to bring other hairbands when I come here again next time.” She turned to Se Yeon and smiled embarassedly. “You like pink colour, right? I have few that looks like this one at home. I can give it to you when I come here again.”

Min Ho chuckled sarcastically. “How do I know you will still come here again or not next time?”

“I…”

“How much?” Min Ho cut her off again.

“Meo?” Shin Hye raised her brows in confusion.

“Tell me how much and I’ll buy it from you.” He paused and inhaled deeply. “I don’t have money now but… but as long as you are willing to sell, I’ll swear to pay you back as soon as I can.”

Calm down. Don’t be angry. You can do it.

Shin Hye held his gaze and sighed softly. “It’s not about money. This hairband really mean…” She tried to explain again but before she could even do so, Se Yeon suddenly stepped forward and took the hairband off of her head.

“Ahhh…” She winced in pain when Se Yeon accidentally pulled several strands of her hair. She was stunned and doesn’t know how to react.

“Se Yeon…” Min Ho was startled by her too. 

Se Yeon quickly wear the hairband onto her head before taking off her silver bangle and put it into Shin Hye’s hand. “I will use this bangle to exchange for your hairband.”

Min Ho widened his eyes in shock and held her arm. “Se Yeon, that bangle is your birthday present I bought for you. How can you give it to her?”

“I don’t care. I want her hairband. I like this hairband more than that bangle now.” Se Yeon said unreasonably as she pulled herself away from him. Without giving them a chance to say anything, she quickly ran to the door and disappeared from the room.

Shin Hye looked down at the silver bangle she was holding in her hand now. Min Ho said he bought it for Se Yeon’s birthday and by looking at his reaction just now, the bangle seems very important to him. Taking a deep breath, Shin Hye lifted her hand up and looked at Min Ho.

“You can take this back.” She said. Although she feel very sad that Se Yeon took her hairband away but she won’t take something from her for exchange.

Min Ho took a brief glance at the bangle before looking back at Shin Hye. “Wae? Is this bangle too cheap for you to wear on your precious hand?”

Calm down. Don’t be angry. You can do it.

Shin Hye sighed silently. “You said… this is her birthday present. I don’t like to take things that belongs to others.” Her mother always teaches her not to fight with people and she have to be more tolerant.

“Are you telling me that you hate people taking your thing against your will?” Min Ho felt offended and thought she was hinting that Se Yeon stole her thing.

“That’s not what I mean. I just…”

“Whatever. If you don’t want it, just throw it away.” Min Ho cut her off coldly before he turned around, heading towards the door.

“Wait!” Shin Hye stopped him. Even though he is very rude but don’t know why she wanted to see him again. She took a deep breath when she saw him stopped walking. “C-Can I know… what… what is your nam

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter