Holding onto hope

a series of seventeens

The air is thick even for a late evening spring time; the musky scent of monkey flowers drifted along with the breeze of smell that is of metallic, raw iron-like smell of blood. The two male slowly sagged between heavy breaths the further they walk, bones too heavy for them to be supporting and not to mentioned, they both had taken a huge impact from the wave of zombies earlier. Two against many others had always been unfair; then again - when was life fair? They weren’t given an upper hand of choices.

After a few miles, deeming it safe from the territory of the blooded zombie carcasses from their berserk attacks earlier, they settled themselves in the solace of a cave; lucky to find one even. It was cold, as cold as their heart had turned ever since the breakout of the damned virus, turning the whole town zombies and there’s yet to be cure. Their friends, a group of them, had broken off, each forming small groups when the unlucky ones had unfortunately gotten touch of the Virus SVT-17. The shorter male, Seungkwan, laughed bitterly as he lay against the cold walls of cave as to tend his wounds.

“We gotta survive this, hyung.”, the wounded male speak out, soft but solemn. “We have to. For them. For.. Seungcheol hyung and Minghao.. and the rest…”, his voice got softer at the mentions of name, the ones who were the earliest among the bunch to turned; the one they killed because there was not a goddamned cure.

“I know.”, came a soft reply from the taller brunette male who had settled next to him, his breath as heavy as his heart is. The brunette shuts his eyes, asking for the younger male to be on look out for half an hour. He needed this rest. He also needed to survive this as Seungkwan had said. The two of them were the only hope left for the rest. They had to find the cure. They must. Because he knows the rest are counting on them on it.