Prologue: Passing By

Falling

Chapter 2: PROLOGUE, Passing By

I heard the front door open and can tell he's finally arrive by the way girls around me act like they have seen an angel coming. This guy has that effect on people. When he walks into the room, it's like the whole space get brighter all of a sudden. 


He comes over and claps a hand on my shoulder. "My princess," he says affectionately. "Never drink bubble tea without a vanilla doughnut." He leans in close and whispers. "The combination should at least make you fall in love." He laughs and straddles the stool next to me, his legs lanky and slim in grey chinos. He is wearing a beige cotton shirt, with pull off sleeves as usual. His fingers, they are beautiful. 


"You said you found my books. Where are they?" I ask, almost inaudibly. I don't want people listen to our conversation, though. It makes me sick enough seeing those pathetic girls, hissing down, most probably cursing me for sitting at the same table with Oh Sehun. 


Instead of answering me, Oh Sehun grabs my bubble tea, and takes a long sip. I let out a sarcastic chuckle.

"Ahjumma," he calls for the lady at the counter. "Did you watch last night's episode? And can we have a plate of spicy rice cakes?" The Ahjumma smiles to us, and make her way to the kitchen. 


"I'm here not for eating snacks with you. Give me my books." I say, coldly. 


"I don't have it with me," this guy is pissing me off, I cannot hold any longer. I came here right after I found a note inside my locker, and this guy is the sender. 


Princess, 
I found your missing books. 
If you want it, come to the snack bar next to our school. 4.30 pm.
Count your steps until 100, then you'll find the location. 
Your favorite, Oh Sehun. 


"Are you kidding me?" I whisper, but my tone is firm enough to make Oh Sehun's eyes flicker. I grab my backpack and walk out the snack bar, feeling out of place. I skip my after class revision session just to come here. I should have known about this, Oh Sehun never been so serious. Being stupid I am for trusting the note. I am such a straight, nerd bum, that skipping my class makes me so insanely, ridiculously that it actually occurs to me this whole situation isn't going to be worth it. 


"Princess," I heard he's calling me, not exactly with my real name but he really calls me that. I have no idea why. We never talk to each other, and I don't remember if we were that close to call each other by nicknames. "We can just find the books after we eat, okay?" I glare at his hand around my wrist, clenching my teeth. Noticing my anger, Oh Sehun get his hand off me. 


Oh Sehun watches the girl walks out the door, and let out a heavy sigh. "I guess I will eat my spicy rice cakes alone this time alone too." 


*****


It was 5.30 am when I wake up and pull my bag pack from under the bed. I spent my night obsessively searching for my exercise books, and hell yes, I have no idea where I lost them. I remember putting the books in my locker, and locked it up yesterday morning, but when I need it for the Literature class, it suddenly missing. I know what happened to them actually. They must have ripped the books and throw it away into the garbage. As usual. 


Hi, I am a mute girl (my classmates used to call me this way). I'm new in this school. I transferred from Y High School because I was being picked and the kids accused me from stealing their stuff, though the fact is it wasn't me. I rarely speak, continuously being silent up until my homeroom teacher is sick of me because I never answer him. Reason? I'm not mute, nor deaf, neither one. I'm involved in abusement case, being abused physically and mentally by my step brother. 


I ride the bus to the school, and decide to walk halfway to ease my mind. I will get the punishment from Mr. Kang this morning, I swear. I let out a heavy sigh, and rub my temple. 


"Now, turn to page 98 and solve the problems. Make sure to write your solution and explanation in your exercise book. And I have...one person who didn't send the Literature book yesterday." I gulp down my saliva. I can feel the intense glare from Mr. Kang through my hair bangs so I put my head down. 


"Y/N?" 


Oh Sehun turn his head to the girl three desks next to him, feeling stuffy. "I lost my book.." I finally speak, with a low voice. I can hear the chuckles from kids around me, one of them must be the culprit. I bite my lips, feeling the strain. 


"I thought you're mute, Y/N. So you know how to speak, as expected, from a transfer student.. being irresponsible." A dull ache spread in my chest. 


"Seon-seng-neem," Oh Sehun kicks the desk, and ready to stand up because he cannot hold himself anymore, but Kim Jongin stops him. "Yah, are you crazy?! Sit down, stupid." He hisses down, and grabs Oh Sehun's sleeves. 


"Yes, Oh Sehun? Did you say something?" Mr. Kang stops writing on the board, putting down the textbook and crossing his arms. Oh Sehun can't help but glare at his homeroom teacher, feeling disappointed by looking at the way he treats the new transfer student. "She said she lost her book, and that is true. Do you have to treat her like that?" 


"Yah, this crazy bastard! You wanna die?!" Kim Jongin places his palm on Sehun's mouth, and bow to Mr. Kang to apologize. "Seon-seng-neem, we're sorry. Oh Sehun is not in his right mind, currently. We're sorry," Oh Sehun moves his body so hard to get off his friend, Jongin but this guy’s strength is no joke. 


“People who don’t want to learn, you better don’t come to school because it’s troublesome. Y/N, get out of my class and don’t ever come in till you bring your book.” I nod my head and walk out the classroom with heavy steps. My heart hurts when the kids let out a small laughs, so I keep my head down, feeling discriminate. “And you,” Mr. Kang points his finger to Oh Sehun. “I don’t want to see your face. Don’t think that you’re from chaebol family so you can do anything. Get out.” 


Oh Sehun can feels his muscle tense when he listens the words ‘chaebol family’ from Mr. Kang. Kim Jongin rubs his neck and sighs. He turns his face to Oh Sehun and give the bag pack to his friend. “Sehun-ah, I will come to you when it’s lunch time, okay?” He whispers. Oh Sehun walks out the classroom and closes the door hard. 

“Now, back to our lesson. So we have.. “ 


“Aish, this seong-seng-neem.. I hate this class.” Oh Sehun stops walking, his eyes fix on a figure who stands next to the corridor, head downs the floor. He bites his moist lips, and starts counting the steps. 


“Are you okay?” No respond. No answer. Oh Sehun leans his back head on the wall, his eyes on the girl next to him. “Mr. Kang is always like that. He treats everyone coldly. You know.. “ I cut him off, 


“You don’t have to try so hard to comfort me.” We stand in peaceful silence for a moment, and I realize that we’re standing rather close together. I train my eyes to his long legs, his broad shoulder, and finally on his sharp jawline. Our school uniform looks perfect on his lean body. His warm brown eyes meet mine for a seconds before I look away. I can feel myself reddening a little. 


Oh Sehun smirks, he runs his hands down his hips before he gives me a twisted smile. “What?” I ask in a monotone, barely looking up. 


“Do you want to go and have some fish cakes?” He hisses down, not wanting it to be heard by the kids who pass by the corridor. I raise my eyebrow, feeling dumb. “That means, we have to skip class.” Oh Sehun place his hands on mine, and I’m being dragged to the school gate in a blink. His legs are about twice as long as mine, so I have to jog to keep up with him. I grab his arm, and whirl him around to face me. Eye to eye.


“Are you crazy?!” I really want to scream but this time it’s better for me to keep it down. I can see Oh Sehun smiles brightly, showing his white teeth and his very own eye smile. This is the idea of hell. I never skip classes. And now, this brat is digging the grave hole for me. I curse myself. “No excuses!” He shakes off my grip and sling his arm around my shoulder. It drives me absolutely nuts when he does that.


“I ordered fish cakes. What else do you want? Ohh, it’s so cold!” Oh Sehun rubs his palm together and places them on his red ears. I refuse to answer. My heart is ticking, feeling depress thinking about the consequence. The Ahjumma delivers two cups of fish cakes and a bottle of water to us. “Did you guys skip classes? Aish, this young kids.. “ I hide my face, feeling embarrassed. Oh Sehun looks up at me through the steam rising from his cup. 


“We’re being kicked out actually,” Oh Sehun says. My jaw drops. I’m going crazy. He squints at me and then gives me his big, gorgeous smile. “Don’t look at me like that, pretty Ahjumma. I’m just 18 years old, what fault do I have for having this charming face.. “ 


The Ahjumma laughs and turns to me. “Your namja-chinggu is a flirt, young lady.” She says.


“Oh, he’s not my boyfriend.” I say quickly. Oh Sehun’s response is almost as quick. “She asked me out, but I turned her down.” 


I kick him under the table and he yelp. “He’s lying.” I tell the Ahjumma. “It’s the other way around.” The Ahjumma only shakes her head and continues her work in the kitchen. Oh Sehun shoves the fish cakes cup to me and takes his big bite. 


“Hurry up with the fish cakes. And don’t leave the soup.” He says.


I look into his brown eyes. Oh Sehun smiles at me, making my heart pound.