Nae Chinggu

Falling

“I fall for you harder; it grows stronger day by day. You were funny, always cracking jokes. No, you barely talked but seeing you smiled, I already realized that I love you. I like you. I wanted to get to know the girl behind the burden eyes. I thought I knew you well, very well. Then one day Ah Young asked me some things about you: where you grew up, what your parents are like, and I froze. After seven months I knew nothing about you. I sat with you, trying my best to make a connection. I vowed to myself that you would be protected. I would protect you. But it’s me who broke the promise. Why won’t you look at me? Why won't you return to me? B-bogoshipo, jagiya. I miss you so much. I miss you,”

Oh Sehun places his fingers against the window, his eyes to the long haired girl who’s sitting on the wheelchair, showing her back to him. Her eyes are no longer warm, but they are now looking empty, as if this life was meaningless to her.

“Post-traumatic amnesia. She’s having a trauma, and the injuries result to the memory loss. Usually the patient refuses to recall the unpleasant memories, but her case is unusual. You are not one of her nightmare, but her step brother is. We had filed a report to the police about her case, and now they are looking for the suspect for further investigation.”

“You mean, she may not remember anything about Oh Sehun at all?” Kim Jongin asks with a small voice.

“Well, it depends. But in most of the cases, the memory disappears permanently.”

He is listening. Oh Sehun is listening.

“Ani, she will remember me. She will never forget me.”

“You can help her. She needs support, and attention. Then things will get back to normal. But it takes time. Don’t push her too much. She may suffers from seizure again just like before.”

His eyes back to her. She looks up to the bright sky, clenching and unclenching her small hand into fist. Fear bubbles up in his chest, but Oh Sehun cannot let it show. Everything will be back as usual. Everything will be okay.

I train my eyes to the lake, inhaling a fresh air and close my eyes for a moment. I never thought I would sleep for fourteen days, waking up and remember everything but a person named Oh Sehun. I never see his face, he’s not even familiar. But why does everyone seems surprised when I said I didn’t know him at all?

“Annyeong!”

I jump a bit to the owner of the happy voice; he’s sitting next to me on the bench, and shows his cute grins. I frown my eyebrows, seeming confused.

“You look healthy, I mean, great. Feeling better?” He asks, but the smile on his face is still there, never fades.

I nod my head; part of me is thinking if I lost my memory about this guy as well, because I am unable to rewind everything back and looking for this cute-looking boy face.

“I’m glad. Erm, do you want to see something?” He says warmly. “Why don’t we set a deal? If you’re not answering, then I’ll take it as a yes. Deal?” I glance at him, not answering.

“Okay, that’s a yes from you. Watch this, carefully,”

He takes a handkerchief, and a small coin. Done placing a coin into the handkerchief, he snaps his long fingers a few times and,

“Tadaaa! The coin is disappeared!”

He looks excited as his white and round face, as well as his small eyes is about to pop out from its cage, sparkling with excitement. He’s bouncing off the walls. But I don’t know why, I don’t have the desire to even smile. I feel something is empty inside me, as if someone has taken away one of my precious.

“It’s not fun for you I guess,”

We watch the lake view in peaceful silence for a while before he starts questioning again.

“Tell me what do you like. Dinosaur, Pororo, puppies, giraffe, anything.” This time I will have to answer the question because if I am not answering, I guess he will stay here until the sun sets.

“Flowers.” I say.

“Too bad, SpongeBob is even better. But it’s okay; I’ll give you a flower then.” He says nicely.

He takes out a few pieces of balloon from his pocket and starts to inflate each of them. I watch him makes a small fold twist using the pink balloon segment. He’s repeating the step a few times before it turns out to be petals of a flower. After seconds, his fast fingers start to make a stem from a green balloon, twisting and folding the segments and join them together, forming a beautiful balloon flower. I don’t realize that my face finally cracks a soft smile when I suddenly notice he is watching me, grinning and then shoves the balloon flower to me.

“It’s for you, agashi. Yeppuji?”

“It’s beautiful.”

“Dang yeonhaji, you’re pretty. Jeongmal yeppoyoe.” He says.

He’s such a flirt. I let out a small laugh, and look at him as he’s touching up the balloon flower for the last time. He’s wearing a dark blue t-shirt and his legs are shucked into a pair of narrow black jeans. It brings out the hazel of his eyes and the snow color of his skin.

“Doo go sae yo? Do I know you?” I ask.

He is staring at me, my heart beats faster.

“I’m Minseok. Kim Minseok.”

*****

Nam Min Kyung was screaming hysterically when she saw Y/N, she laid on the floor, shivering from cold. And her clothes had blood stain on it, as well as her hands. Min Kyung had to force herself to be brave and urged her inner self to come into Y/N’s house, searching for her. It had been two days since she didn’t show her face at school, and that made Min Kyung felt like something bad might happened to her. When she walked into the house, it’s in a mess with broken glass everywhere, and she heard a groan sound from the kitchen.

“Someone, help! Help her! Please, someone help!”

Kim Minseok stopped walking. He heard someone’s calling for help clearly from one of the houses in the neighborhood. Because it was raining, the voice barely heard, as if it’s coming from far but when he saw a girl, she’s running from outside the gate and crying. Kim Minseok ran to her, out of breath.

“Help her, sh-she’s dying!” Min Kyung sobbed, her hands were shaking and then she sat on the road, feeling so weak after watching her own friend’s condition.

“Where is she?!” Min Kyung pointed to the house with blue roof. Kim Minseok threw his bag away from his shoulder and ran into the house, looking for the girl. When his feet stepped into the kitchen he saw a girl, she’s wearing a white cardigan, trying hard to balance herself but ended up falling backwards. And before her face kissed the floor, Kim Minseok immediately reached for her arms and held her, tightly.

Her eyes then shut, she didn’t respond to anything right after that.

*****

I lay in the hospital bed, my eyes fix on the window until Min Kyung walks in. I turn, knowing already what kind of face she will make, and she does, as expected. Her eyes is watering, her bottom lip trembles and she hurries to sit by my side. Min Kyung’s eyes walk from one bruise to another, and then she put her hand over .

“I’m okay, jinjja.” I say.

Min Kyung’s head down on the white blanket that covers my lower body, cries, minutes passing until she can speaks my name again.

“You crazy girl. Why were you staying there if you knew you would be treated this bad? You are awful.” She gives me a soft pat on my arm. I smile.

“Mianhe, because I made such a fuss from this,” I say.

“This is not a joke, you idiot. You could die. If I weren’t there.. oh God, can you please leave the house? You can stay with me, or we can find a way.. “

“Min Kyung-ya,” She stops talking, eyes on me.

“Baegopa,” I place my right hand on the stomach, frowning my eyebrows. Min Kyung let out a sigh and takes a lunch box from the paper bag, presenting me the rice balls, rolled-eggs and some cabbage kimchi. I give a long stare at the lunch box, something flickers in my mind when I look at it, but it comes in a flash and then I remember nothing again.

“Eat a lot, Oemma made this. I will bring you chicken soup later.”

“Gomawo, chinggu.” I chew the rice ball gracefully, and scoop some rolled-eggs, filling my tummy. I am about to finish my third rice ball when I notice that Min Kyung glances at me, she looks sad, and curious.

“Wae gu rae, Min Kyung-ah?”

“Do-do you really cannot remember Oh Sehun at all?”

I stop eating. I place the spoon back on the plate, leaning in the bed. It took me a few seconds to answer her.

“Aniya, Min Kyung. I don’t know him, I mean, I don’t remember him. Who is he? Mol-lah.”

“How can you not remember him when he’s with you all the time, clingy all the way, following you around, feeding you, protecting you from.. “

“Protect me from what?” I cut her off. Min Kyung is about to answer me when suddenly a boy comes into the room and coughs. He makes a sign to Min Kyung, in which I don’t understand the signal and it makes Min Kyung bites her lips, immediately shut herself.

“Have you finished eating?” He asks. I look at his face, scanning, because I’ve seen him somewhere before this.

“Doo gu se yoe? Oh, I know you!”

His heart stops beating. Min Kyung drops her jaw and looks at Oh Sehun. Does she really get her memory back?

“Dr. Choi showed me your photo before this. But your hair was dark, you’re now blonde. It’s strange.. but he said you’re my friend. Nae chinggu. Is that true?”

Chinggu.

Ani, she doesn’t remember him. At all.

“Yah, you idio- “

“Min Kyung, can I be with her for a while?” Oh Sehun asks. Min Kyung let out a heavy sigh, hands on his waist. She gives me a sharp glare and walks out the room.

“What’s wrong with her? Did I make a mistake?” I say in a small voice.

Oh Sehun takes a chair and sit next to my bed. He places a bubble tea and takes out the warm fishcakes, placing them on the plate and hands it in to me.

“Bo go, the fishcakes taste the best when it still hot.”

I look at him. He looks calm and his expression when he gazes at me, I notice how soft and dark his eyes are, and how beautifully shaped his mouth is, before I look away quickly.

“How do you know I like fishcakes?”

Oh Sehun looks up to me, his eyes flicker. I don’t know why I strangely feel like I’m short of breath, and again my eyes avoid meeting his.

“We used to skip classes and went out the school to eat this.” He simply answers.

“Skip classes? Us?!” I choke.

“It was your idea.”

“What?!”

“You never hand in your homework.”

“Excuse me?”

“Well, that was acceptable. Your grade was awful. It’s horrible. I don’t have a heart to tell you about that.”

“Oh My Goodness, jinjja?!”

“Three places to 100th? Oh my I got goosebumps.”

I bury my face into the pillow; I can feel my face reddening a little. I was that stupid back then? Argh, this is embarrassing!

Oh Sehun cannot help but giggling to her reaction. Maybe telling her lies can make her feels better. Maybe by hiding the truth about who is he actually to her can stops her from crying over again. Maybe by forgetting the memory can bring her happiness back.

“I miss you,” He says.

I put down the pillow, and looks at him. His voice changes. My hearts skip a beat.

“Bo go shipo yo, chinggu-yah,”

Chinggu. Friend.

No longer a princess. 

 


Leave comments guys! I would love to reply you back! 

If you love this fic, please VOTE. 

Don't forget to spread the words! 

Gomawoo, saranghae!